Reports Sunday 30th April

Sunday 30th  April

Ulster Junior Cup Final 

Culdaff FC          1          

Glengad United    2

Glengad got off to a dream start in the second minute after Stephen McLaughlin played a neat one two with James McKinney and took advantage of defensive hesitancy to race clear into the area and drill low past Darragh McLaughlin. Culdaff replied and Michael Coyle fed Eugene McLaughlin on the left his superb cross found Brendan McLaughlin who just failed to turn the ball home. A Ryan Greene free into the area saw Coyle flick the ball over before Glengad replied with a driven Seamus Doherty effort which McLaughlin gathered well. Midway through the half Glengad doubled their lead when Culdaff failed to clear a low corner and Seamus Doherty’s effort was blocked on the line but spun up into the air allowing Michael Byrne to power the ball over the line from a yard out. Culdaff kept pressing and Eugene McLaughlin had a low driven effort blocked by the outstretched leg of McLaughlin before on 43 minutes Coyle flicked on for Brendan McLaughlin whose early volley was parried away by Kevin McLaughlin. But they spurned the best chance on the stroke of half time when McLaughlin was upended in the area when he was certain to score. Culdaff’s misery was complete when keeper McLaughlin saved the spot kick and Brendan McLaughlin’s follow up came off the post  before being scrambled clear. Culdaff got off to a dream start in the second half when Brendan Mclaughlin fired a stunning twenty yards effort in off the underside of the bar. At the other end John G McLaughlin released Terence Doherty on the right but he was denied by a superb Ryan Greene tackle. At the other end in a similar situation Michael Coyel was denied by a brilliant tackle by John G McLaughlin. On 69 minutes Nigel McMonagle laid the ball off to Terence Doherty  but his low effort was turned round the post by Darragh McLaughlin. Culdaff ‘s hopes of getting back on terms evaporated when Brendan McLaughlin received a second yellow card for throwing the ball away infrustration. With Culdaff pushing hard in the latter stages Glengad should have killed the game off when Terence Doherty twice raced clear but was denied firstly by a JJ Doherty tackle before seeing his final effort  after he had rounded McLaughlin cleared off the line. Overall as in  all local derbies this was a close hard fought affair with Glengad the more clinical in completing back to back Ulster victories.


Jackie Crossan Premier Division     

Greencastle  FC                    3

Clonmany Shamrocks           0

In a typical end of season encounter Clonmany started the better and Michael Devlin shot over from the edge of the area before another Devlin cross came back off the bar. Greencastle replied and James Henry sent Matthew Henry through but he fired wide. Greencastle broke the deadlock on 22 minutes after a Matthew Henry corner found Ciaran Moore who headed to the top corner. Greencastle made it two nil on 40 minutes when Joe Doherty sent Matthew Henry clear and he fired low past Patrick Harkin.  Greencastle were the better team in the second half but failed to create any clear chances. They sealed the points on 77 minutes after a Shaun Doherty cross found Christy Hegarty who headed low to the bottom corner from twelve yards.