Match Reports Sunday 9th September

Inishowen Football League

Jackie Crossan Premier Division

Illies Celtic 1-0 Clonmany

Played in windy conditions it was a difficult game for both teams Illies first chance fell to Liam grant who shot over, then Clonmany’s Brendan Devlin headed narrowly wide

then Paddy Doherty for the home side crossed for Liam Grant but he shot weakly at Paddy Harkin in the Clonmany goal, Illies had a great chance at the start of the second half when Domenick Doherty Broke and found paddy Doherty his shot was brilliantly blocked by Harkin the rebound fell  to Liam Doherty who should have scored, Illies took the lead when Paddy Doherty was upended in the box and he tucked the spot kick low past Paddy Harkin, Clonmany pressed hard for the equaliser and Jonathan Noone tipped two great efforts over the bar and Jason Devlin’s free was narrowly over Illies held on for three valuable points

Greencastle 5-2 Carn

Greencastle came from behind twice to see off a gallant Carn side who’ first half dominance should have resulted in more goals, Carn’s Conor Mc Laughlin brought a fine save from Dillion Doherty in the home goal in the 2nd min, Nigel mc Monagle was then fouled and Eamon Donnelly’s free was cleared then Stephen Grants effort was headed clear, Carn’s Mick O’ Donnell then had two free kicks the first brought a fine save from Doherty the second found the head of Ryan Kelly who’s effort brought another fine save from Doherty’ then Carn’s Mathew Mc Laughlin effort was cleared by Stephen Grant, Carn were well on top and Kelly found Shane Doherty who’s effort was just wide of the right hand post, then Donal Doherty’s effort deflected off a defender and Mathew Mc laughlins header was cleared off the line, Carn’s dominance paid off on the 25min Darragh Deery getting on the end of a cross to slot home from 6 yards, Nigel Mc Monagle then put in a good cross for the home side but found no takers, and Shaun Doherty brought a fine save from Seamus Houghton in the Carn’s  goal, Mc Monagle then shot wide, and from a Carn free Mick O’ Donnell’s header was cleared off the line by Mark Henry, Mc Monagle then crossed for Doherty to head wide, in the 2nd half Michael  Henry broke and crossed for Mc Monagle to flick on to Kieran Moore who’s effort was saved by the keepers feet, Mc Monagle then found Stephen Grant who’s fine cross was tucked away by Shaun Doherty for 1-1, Henry then found Conor Gillian who’s effort was blocked, Carn then broke up field and Darragh Deery tucked a fine cross past Doherty for Carn to go ahead, Michael and Mathew Henry then combined to force a corner and  D.J. Canavan rose at the back post to head past Houghton, Carn had a great chance to equalise but Cade Cooke headed wide and Mc Monagle brought a fine save from Houghton, Greencastle took the lead on 80 min when Mc Monagle steered Grants cross home, it was 4-2 six min later when Michael  Henry shot the rebound home after Mc Monagle’s effort was blocked, in added time Grant again  turned provider for Mc Monagle to add goal No five

Jackie Crossan Premier Division 

Aileach FC                         3

Glengad Utd                      1 

This game between last season’s top two sides was eagerly anticipated but in truth neither side bore much resemblance to the teams that finished last year. Aileach started the better and were ahead inside 10 mins when Darren McMonagle cut in from the left and unleashed a fierce drive from 20 yds which beat Christopher McLaughlin high to the keepers right. Within 5 mins they were 2 ahead when the same player broke into the box and slid the ball wide of the advancing McLaughlin. Glengad settled after this and began to control possession and on the half hour they got their reward when Terence Doherty did well to hold off two defenders before toe poking the ball past Peter Devlin. With half time approaching Aileach restored their two goal advantage when Anthony Doherty raced down the right and crossed low for Caoimhghin McFeeley to slide the ball past McLaughlin from inside the 6yd. box. Glengad began the second half on the front foot and on 50 mins. the ball found John G.McDermott on the right side of the Aileach box and Devlin did well get a hand to his well struck shot. Glengad were on top at this stage with Aileach unable to keep the ball. A good move down the left side resulted in Dylan Ruddy getting possession 25 yds out. He worked himself into a good position and was unlucky to see his right foot effort just clear the angle of post and crossbar with Devlin a spectator. Glengad continued to boss possession but with Aileach defending deep they struggled to unduly trouble
Devlin in the Aileach goal. With 5 mins left the ever dangerous Terence Doherty unleashed a stinging drive which Devlin managed to parry before being cleared by Paddy Slevin. Aileach saw the remainder of the game out for an important three points.


Redcastle Utd                   2

Buncrana Hearts             6

The game started lively with Buncranna having the bulk of possession and they got a deserved lead on the 5 minute mark when a long ball from Eoghan Murphy found  Aaron McDaid who slotted well past the Redcastle keeper. 2 minutes later a great solo run from James Quigley found Aaron McDaid again but he was unable to get his second due to a great save by Michael McCole in the Redcastle net unfortunately the ball fell at the feet of Eoin McNamee who easily made it 2-0. Minutes later as Buncranna’s dominance continued a cross from James Timlin found Ciaran McDaid but his looping header was spectacturly clawed off the line by McCole to keep it at 2-0. A great run from Ciaran McDaid beat 3 Redcastle players including the goalkeeper and unselfishly  rolled it to Eoghan Murphy to make 3-0. On the 20 minute mark Buncranna won a corner, as it was swung in the keeper got caught in no-mans land and Ciaran McDaid put it into the open net to make it 4-0. Minutes later a great effort from 40 yards by John O Loughlin hit the crossbar and had the keeper beaten. 15 minutes before half time the ball fell at the feet of Aiden McLaughlin who hit a rocket from 35 yards and beat the keeper effortlessly.
Half Time Redcastle United 1-4 Buncranna Hearts
The second half started well with both sides having chances. It was Redcastle who had the best chance when a corner from Aiden Cunnigham found Aiden McLaughlin and his header was cleared off the line but from the resulting clearance a great run from Ciaran McDaid found Gerrard Boyle and he made it 5-1 to Buncranna. With just over 20 minutes left good closing down from Redcastle and  Brendan Murphy won the ball high up in the Buncranna half, as he laid it off to Aiden McLaughlin he ran through one on one with the keeper and finished well to make it 5-2. In the last 10 minutes Buncranna put the game to bed when a cross found Gerrard Boyle, he controlled well,he then laid it off to McDaid who finished well for his hat trick.
Full Time Redcastle United 2-6 Buncranna Hearts




Strand Hotel First Division

Aileach Reserves 1-7 Moville Celtic

Moville started brightly and went close through Conor Doherty  went close, Moville scored when Doherty  broke down  the right cut inside and to scored, they got no2  when they again broke down the right and when the ball played across goal and Conor Lafferty scored. Doherty broke through from midfield but shot over, Aileach came close with a Kilian o Rourke free but went over, Caolan Doherty went close but Mc Geady saved, Moville  goalkeeper kicked over the top and it bounce over the defence for Caolan  Doherty to score 3-0, Moville broke again minutes later and made it 4 threw Caolan  Doherty

Moville started 2nd half fast and a ball over top for Lafferty to run through and made it 5. They got 6 from a Free kick through Doherty, Aileach went close Stephen Doherty made the keeper save then Ciaran mc Grory pass paddy Curran and his shot was saved by the keeper. Mervin mc Gowan then burst through midfield and unleashed a shot from 35yds just past the post. They went Close again when Doherty made the keeper make a smart save. Aileach pulled 1 back when Paddy Curran finished a well worked move involving Stephen Doherty and Rauri Bradley 6-1, Caolan Doherty got another when he benefited from a goal keeping mistake

Sea Rovers 0-2 Cockhill Yth

Cockhill made the brighter start but it was the home side that had the first chance when a free was smartly saved by Lee Mc Carron, Cockhill’s first chance saw Jack Mc Daid shoot over when well placed, Adam Mc Laughlin then brought two fine saves from Glen Watson before the same player headed narrowly wide, Cockhill opened the scoring on 41 min when Mark Mc Daid found Jack Mc Daid to shoot high to the roof of the net, Damien Ward had a good chance to level the scores early in the second half but his effort flew over the crossbar Cockhill increased their lead on 72min when Adam Mc Laughlin crossed for Shay Mc Laughlin to head home from 6 yards Evan Mc Laughlin had a chance for Rovers on 87 min when his shot was narrowly wide Cockhill finished out the game as comfortable winners

Strand Hotel Division One  

Gleneely Colts                    1

QPS                                     2

The first chance fell to Gleneely after 2mins when in a counter attack involving Shane Meehan and Christy Smith the ball was fed to Billy McCann but he shot wide when well placed. QPS first chance fell to Stephen Harley who shot from the edge of the box only for Ben Miller to push round the post. The visitors took lead after 15mins when Miller was not able to hold onto a free from Harley and Brian McColgan was on hand to head home from close range. After 20mins Gleneely had a chance when a Meehan corner caused confusion in the box for Adrian Duffy to shoot over from 10yards. Another chance fell to Smith who got on the end of a Mc Cann cross but his shot was saved by Aidan Lynch. Duffy then had a 25yard free tipped onto the crossbar by Lynch after 40mins.
Gleneely equalised after 55mins when a corner from Meehan fell to John Doherty and he slotted low into the net from 8yards. 5mins later, QPS restored their lead when Mc Clogan headed home from 8 yards following a corner. Gleneely grew more into the game and spurned chances including one from Smith who shot into the side netting from 15yards and another from Corey O’ Brien who shot wide from 10yards after a fine run. QPS held out for the win.

Glengad Res                1  

Rasheney FC               4

The visitors had the upper hand throughout and hit the front on the quarter hour mark. Damien Friel crossed into the area from the left and Aaron Harkin just beat the advancing keeper to score from close in. That lead was doubled on 34 mins when the ball was headed home by an unfortunate defender following a Friel corner. And Friel was again involved in his side’s third goal when he delivered from mid-field into Tyler Mc Bride and he struck to the net from 12 yards. Just before half time Glengad pulled a goal back. Good work involving Owen Doherty and Shane Devlin saw the ball being passed into the path of Gary Kelly and he was able to slip it past keeper Kieran Friel to make it 3 –1.  The home side’s had a chance early in the second half when Christopher Doherty set up Devlin but his shot was well saved. Rasheney played well within themselves for the remainder of the match and completed the scoring when a corner was cleared out as far as Darren Coyle and he fired home from 12 yards.

Aileach Res                   1  

Moville Celtic               7

A big statement of intent here from Moville who started brightly and went close through Conor Doherty. Their pressure told when Doherty broke down the right cut inside and found the net. They got no2 when they again broke down the right and when the ball was played across goal Conor Lafferty scored. Shortly afterwards Doherty broke through from midfield but shot over. Aileach came close with a Killian O’ Rourke free but the ball went over. At the other end Caolan Doherty went close but Mc Geady denied him. The Moville goalkeeper then kicked long over the top and the ball bounced over the defence for Caolan Doherty to score and make it 3-0. The same player broke again minutes later and made it 4.

Moville started the second half in brisk fashion and a ball over top allowed Lafferty to run through and make it 5. They got No.6 from a free kick through Doherty. Aileach responed and went close when Stephen Doherty brought a save from the keeper. The keeper was again called into action and he saved from Paddy Curran who had gotten onto a Ciaran Mc Grory pass. Mervin Mc Gowan then burst through midfield and unleashed a shot from 35yds just past the post. They went close again when Doherty made the keeper make a smart save. Aileach pulled a goal back when Paddy Curran finished a well worked move involving Stephen Doherty and Rauri Bradley.  Caolan Doherty got the final when he benifitted from a goal keeping mistake to make it 7 – 1.



Inishowen Engineering Division Two

Illies Res 4-0 Carrowmena F.C.

Illies opened the scoring on 10min when Raymond Doherty crossed for Seamus O’ Donnell to head home from close range it was 2-0 on 20min when Shane Devlin found Joe Mc Daid who slotted home Illies made it 3-0 before half time when Shane Devlin got on the end of a Brendan Doherty cross to finish low to the net the second half was a dull affair with little chances created Illies did add a fourth goal on 80 min when Shane Devlin converted a Gavin Doherty cross

Culdaff Res 2-3 QPS Res

The away side opened the scoring on 35 min when Mark Wallace found Jack Mc Connolouge who slotted past Collins in the home net, Culddaff were caught up field on 40min and QPS broke Wallace finding Joshua Mc Laughlin to make it 2-0 at half time Culdaff pulled a goal back on 50min Thomas O’ Brien’s free found Niall Gordon who’s header was turned behind from resulting corner by Damien Duffy Peter Doherty slotted home at the back post, Culdaff got back on level terms when a defensive error by a QPS defender allowed Niall Gordon to race clear and slot home Culdaff were unlucky on 65 min when a corner was cleared off the line and at the other end Paul Grant brought a fine save from Collins  from a Reece Rutherford cross  QPS did get the winner on 80 min when Gerard Greene scored from 7 yards after a scramble in the home defence

Clonmany Res 0-0 Cockhill Res

Both goalkeepers were the dominant players in this match with Liam McGonigle for Clonmany and Declan Caldwell for Cockhill pulling off some impressive saves to keep the match goal less. Clonmany’s first chance came in the 19th minute after good work down the left by Nathan McKinney put Dessie Doherty in on the left side of the box and his deep cross found Alex McFadden but his shot went narrowly wide. Cockhill went close in the 33rd minute when Tristan Donaghey broke clear but Liam McGonigle was quickly off his line to parry the shot and the following up shot went wide.Conor Doherty saw Declan Caldwell tip his shot from the 18 yard line over the crossbar after a quick Clonmany counter attack had set him free. In the 56th minute a looping cross from the right by Clonmany’s Christy Harkin almost dropped in at the back post and despite Nathan McKinney trying to force home from close range Cockhill were able to clear their lines. Six minutes later Clonmany sub David McGonigle broke into the box from the left wing but his shot was smothered by Declan Caldwell and he gathered the loose ball before David could regain possession.  With three minutes remaining Cockhill almost stole the three points when Ciaran Bradley broke clear on the left wing and burst into the box but Liam McGonigle was quickly off his line and forced Ciaran into trying to lob him, which he almost did but his shot came back off the crossbar and Clonmany cleared the danger. With no other goal scoring opportunities the match ended Clonmany Res 0 Cockhill Res 0


Buncrana Hts Res 0 – 3 Dunree

In an entertaining derby played in a breezy Castle Park Dunree deservedly took all three points in this opening league game.  Buncrana played with the breeze in the first half but it was Dunree who created the first real scoring chance on eight minutes, Ryan Bradley put through Philip Mc Guinness but failed to trouble Hearts’ keeper O’ Sullivan. A minute later Hearts’ Christy Mc Kinley got in one on one within Dunree keeper Philip Doherty, Doherty coming out on top with a fine save. After this, while Hearts dominated territorially for long periods, a Dale Kerr long range effort which struck the crossbar was the nearest they came to scoring. For Dunree Ryan Bradley and Jamie Brosnan, on a limited service were causing Buncrana problems and Brosnan was unfortunate to see a forty third minute shot, after good link up play with Bradley, diverted onto the post and out for a corner.

In the second half Dunree were quickly on the front foot with Mc Guinness setting up Bradley with a great goal scoring opportunity in the forty sixth minute. On a rare excursion into Dunree territory Harry Foreshaw saw his twenty five yard shot go close. Then in the fifty third minute Dunree took the lead, Philip Mc Guinness cut in from the right, beating two defenders he picked out Brosnan who shot low past O’ Sullivan from close range. Two minutes later Mc Guinness nearly extended Dunree’s lead but O’ Sullivan was able to tip his long range free kick over the bar. Dunree’s second goal came on fifty nine minutes, when from out on the right Darryl Moran’s cross caught the breeze and sailed over a stranded O’ Sullivan into the back of the net. Hearts’ committed everything to attack and this left them open to the counter attack. With time running out Evan Barry chased down a long Dunree clearance out of defence and his bye line cross found Neil Moran unmarked on the back post to score Dunree’s third and final goal.

Redcastle Res                2  

Aileach Youth               3


Redcastle created early chances but could not fashion a lead. Terry Mc Colgan could not apply the finishing touch to a wicked Alan Clarke delivery and then Mc Colgan turned provider when he whipped in a ball for Shaun Mc Cauley but he could not convert. Aileach’s first opportunity to score fell to Neil Mc Elhinney but his free header from a corner was just wide. On 20 mins great play from Aodhan Ferns played Clarke through and he squared for Mc Cauley to find the net – giving the home side the lead. After Clarke missed another good

chance Aileach equalised when Aaron Doherty latched onto a ball from Mc Elhinney and drove home. The visitors were dominating at this stage and further chances went a begging when Benny Hegarty was out of luck when his strike hit the crossbar and Doherty failed to score when well placed. A few minutes before the break Aileach hit the front when Ciaran Bradley crossed for Hegarty to turn in at the near post. Into the second half and after Clarke set him up Mc Colgan could not manage to finish. On 52 minutes Doherty grabbed his second goal after good approach play to make it 3 – 1. The home side had a chance to reduce the deficit but Mc Cauley had the ball taken off his toe just as he was about to shoot. They did bring it back to 3 – 2 when debutant Ronan Cassidy delivered a free into Mc Colgan and he squared for Colm Mc Laughlin to finish.  


Dunree Res            2

Carn   Res              5


The home team started the stronger and missed a golden opportunity to open the scoring after 15 mins when TJ Mc Kinley pulled his shot wide when well placed. Carn took the lead on 25 mins when a mix up at the back saw Christy Diver tap into an open goal. Carn doubled their advantage on 40 mins when Coyne scored a superb strike from 25 yards out beating Roger Mc Gilloway in the Dunree goal. Dunree had a free kick well saved on the stroke of half time by Carn keeper Greg Doherty. Dunree started the second half well an and on 50 mins pulled a goal back when Mc Kinley drilled to the bottom corner past Doherty. Carn restored their 2 goal lead on the hour mark when Diver finished an Ultan Doherty cross. Dunree where back in again on 65 mins when Mc Kinley chipped Doherty after a great ball through ball from Bryce Fullerton. Doherty then got his own goal on 70 mins with a superb 40 yard shot to the roof of the net. Carn finished the scoring on 80 minutes when Coyne scored again after another mix up in the home defence.


Rasheney Res            1

Moville Res               4

In a game played in windy conditions, the home team was first to show when Sean Mc Carron brought a save from Maurice Mc Geady while a corner immediately afterwards came to nothing. Moville opened the scoring on 11 mins when James Gillen delivered an over the top ball to Kevin Mc Dermott and he fired home past Kieran O’ Neill. The away team doubled their advantage 6 mins later. A foul inside the area by a Rasheney defender resulted in a spot kick with Graeme Doherty – who had a spot kick saved in his last attempt – making no mistake this time around. Rasheney attempted to get back into the match with Ciaran Mc Carron having an effort over the bar and Nathan Mc Conologue’s powerfully struck shot saved by Mc Geady. However, Moville made it 3 – 0 before the interval when Gillen got on the end of a Michael Grimley cross to score. On the hour mark, Rasheney pulled a goal back when Conor O’Neill crossed in for Jack Mc Laughlin to tap home. The away side restored their three goal advantage late on a mix up in the home defence allowed Danny Murphy to score.