Match Reports Sunday 9th December

Sunday 9th  December

FAI  Oscar Traynor Trophy              

Inishowen League             3

Sligo /Leitrim                     0

Inishowen turned in a superb performance from start to finish dominating the game throughout but a failure to take their chances meant the result was in doubt for a while.

They began at a really high tempo with Gavin Doherty seeing a shot turned behind, Terence Doherty firing over after being released by Ryan Kelly  before Doherty’s low cross  saw Kieran McDaid slide in but fail to get enough on the ball to force it home. A superb Gavin Doherty run and cross to Matty Henry  saw Sergio Gomes make a fine stop. Further chances fell to Adam Byrne who blazed over from fifteen yards after a corner fell to him and on the stroke of half time a Matthew Byrne free hit the inside of the post and bounced across to safety. Inishowen finally broke the deadlock on 54 minutes after a corner was half  cleared  to Shaun Doherty whose pin point cross was headed home by Kevin O’Loughlin. Doherty then fired wide from twenty five yards before in a rare Sligo break  Tyler Stafford picked out Lee Marshall but he shoots tamely wide from the edge of the area. Gomes then excelled when he produced superb stops from substitute Darren McMonagle and Terence Doherty in succession. Sligo tried to push on in the  closing stages but when Ryan Kelly broke up an attack his first time clearance released Doherty who  rounded Gomes and slotted home from twenty yards. Inishowen broke again in injury time with Shaun Doherty on the left and his cross was deflected by the Sligo centre half up and over Gomes for a spectacular own goal. Inishowen now await the final game in the group with Sligo hosting Donegal in the Showgrounds next Saturday night knowing a win would give them a chance to go through also while Donegal need a point to top the group.

Strand Hotel First Division 

QPS                            3

Gleneely Colts       2

The home side took an early lead when Deaglan Bowen played a neat one two with Sean Downey before slotting low to the net from six yards. But Gleneely got back on terms midway through the half after a Cory O Brien cross deflected off a defender and into the home net. The point then regained the lead after Karl Donnelly raced onto a James Quigley through ball and kept his composure to finish well to the bottom corner. On the hour mark the Colts equalised again when Dylan McDaid converted a penalty after O’Brien was upended. Play was pretty scrappy then until the 83rd minute when Oisin Burke fired home a spectacular effort from twenty five yards to seal the points for the home side.

Rasheney FC                                   1

Glengad Res                                    3

Played in relatively good conditions this game had a quiet opening period after which the home side had a couple of good opportunities to get on the scoresheet. A John Mc Laughlin cross in from the left just required a tap in but no one was there to apply a finish and then an Eoin Mc Laughlin effort from 25 yards smashed against the crossbar. Mid way through the half Glengad took the lead when Gary Kelly ran onto an over the top ball to chip the keeper for an excellent finish. Rasheney tried to get back on terms but Eoin Mc Laughlin was out of luck again a few minutes before the interval when he had a shot taken off the line. Early in the second half the visitors came close to doubling their lead following a corner but they were pegged back to one one  when Eoin Mc Laughlin controlled namesake’s John delivery from out near the line and shot to the net from 15 yards. Rasheney’s joy was shortlived however when  minutes later P.J. Mc Daid drove home in a goalmouth scramble following a corner. With 10 minutes remaining Mc Daid had a shot parried out by Friel with Kelly reacting quickest and firing home to make it three one. Rasheney’s best chance of a score came late on when Ryan Doherty’s shot from outside the area brought a finger tip save from Michael Mc Laughlin.

Cockhill Youth        4

Sea Rovers                          1

Cockhill Celtic Youth defeated visitors Sea Rovers four one but did not have it all there own way as the visitors came with a game plan and were well organised. Cockhill’s Eoin Deery should have put the home side in front early on but he blazed over from eight yards out. The home side bossed possession early on and had Sea Rovers penned in but could not find a way past a solid rearguard. The opening goal arrived on 26 minutes when David Laird pounced on a rebound from Jack McDaid’s initial effort to score past Graham Morgan. Cockhill continued to press and Odhran O’Brien-Daly had his shot blocked by his own teammate after great work by Shay McLaughlin on the left. Eoin Deery put Cockhill two up on 33 minutes when a great ball through by Keegan Hegarty guided past the keeper low to the corner for a neat finish. Sea Rovers did not let the heads drop and tried to play when in possession but found it difficult with them so deep in there own half. The goal of the game arrived on 42 minutes when Cockhills Jack McDaid had a great run and cross from the left channel into the area David Laird took it on the full to control it and volley to the net from ten yards giving Morgan in the visitors goal no chance.

Cockhills Christopher Duffy had the first chance on 48 minutes but his effort from ten yards out clipped the bar on the way over after a David Laird corner. Sea Rovers had their first effort on target on 53 minutes but Declan Caldwell saved low to his left from an Oisin McGonagle effort. Sea Rovers did get a goal back on 67 minutes when Damian Ward scored with a speculative free kick effort from distance with the ball going high over Declan Caldwell in the home net. Cockhill had to weather a bit of a fightback from Rovers but got their fourth goal from Jack McDaid on 81 minutes when he side footed past Morgan from 16 yards after a neat pass from Adam McLaughlin who returned today after a few months out injured.

Moville Celtic                     3

Aileach Res                         0

In the 3rd minute Moville’s Michael McNaught and Caolan Doherty combined on the right side allowing Doherty to get into the Aileach area. After getting around keeper Ciaran Bradley  his goal bound shot was well blocked by defender Gregory Doherty. Two minutes later Bradley saved at full stretch from  Lee McColgan’s angled effort. Both sides traded long range shots which both keepers handled easily, Sean McHugh for the visitors and Caolan Doherty for the home side. Bradley again saved well  down to his right from McNaught’s drive in the 20th minute. A  minute later Moville took the lead when Doherty shielded the ball well from the Aileach defence and passed inside to Conor Lafferty who tapped in unchallenged from six yards. Lafferty hit the post with a first time shot from the edge of the box minutes later with Bradley smothering the rebounding ball.

In the 59th minute Moville increased their lead  with Lafferty on the left setting up Nathan Harkin with a square ball inside allowing him to control and smash high into the Aileach net from twenty two yards. A third followed in the 70th minute when Lafferty fed Doherty down the left who’s low cross into the visitors box was steered home by the inrushing McNaught. At the tail end of the game Aileach kept up the pressure in seeking a consolation goal with substitutes Darren Gallagher and James Wallace attempting shots from distance but home keeper Coyle stood firm.

Division Two               

Aileach Youths                   1

Moville Res                         6

Aileach started the brighter and got themselves into good positions in the opening 10 minutes without really testing McGeady in the Moville goal. Moville took the lead against the run of play on 15 minutes when Danny Murphy broke the offside trap and lobbed Fox from twenty yards. But  Aileach pulled level on 25 minutes when Aaron Doherty shot into the top corner from twenty five yards after his initial free kick was blocked by the wall.  Moville regained the lead within 5 minutes when Murphy was brought down in the box and Graeme Doherty slotted the penalty into the bottom corner.  Moville increased their advantage five minutes into the second half when John McGeady headed a free kick into the bottom corner.  On 60 minutes the gamewas over as a contest when Christy McGeoghan stole in front his marker to slot home at the near post.  Aileach tried hard to get back into the game with Moville content to soak up pressure and try to catch Aileach on the counter attack and from one of these counter attacks Murphy raced onto a ball over the top and lobbed Fox with the ball just going over the line according to the referee. In injury time a poor Aileach clearance was pounced on by McGeoghan who fired into the bottom corner from twenty yards.

Rasheney Res                     2

Culdaff Res                          0

In an entertaining encounter in good conditions reversed to Caratra Park Culdaff started well  with Michael McLaughlin. heading over from a corner when well placed. Rasheney responded and  Tiernan McDonald flashed a shot just wide after good work by Marcus Noone. They went close again with a Sean McCarron header cleared off the line by Gary Collins. Culdaff had a good spell then with Jack Mclaughlin firing narrowly wide before Niall McLaughlin should have done better after finding himself unmarked following a corner. But Rasheney broke the deadlock before the break after Aaron Harkin played a  neat one two with John Grant and unleashed a speculative thirty yards effort which found its way past Puaric O’Donnell. Culdaffs Jack McLaughlin went on a mazy run  on 55 minutes but was eventually crowded out when he should have taken a shot earlier. Play was then then bogged down in midfield for a spell but the home side tried to press on but found the Rasheney defence a stubborn force. Rasheney then sealed the points late on when a Ciaran Dillon corner deflected off an unfortunate defender past O’Donnell.

Carn Res                               4

Cockhill Res                        7

In a high scoring clash Carn broke the deadlock on 2 minutes when a Conor Doherty corner from the right rebounded of the defender and following a goalmouth scramble  James Monagle fired to the top corner.  But Cockhill equalized when a Mark Mc Laughlin corner from the left found Paddy McLaughlin who drilled a low shot to the bottom right hand corner from ten yards. On 18 minutes Cockhill went ahead after a Paddy McLaughlin pass from midfield found Gary Breslin who was one on one with Carn keeper Jack Nelson and he slotted low to the net. Carn then equalized midway through the half following a Conor Doherty corner which found James Monagle unmarked inside the 18 yard box and he drove a powerful shot to the roof of the net. Carn  then took the leas on the stroke of half time when a Niall McGuinness free kick  found Monagle who completed his hat trick by heading to the roof of the net from ten yards.  Cockhill equalized in the first minute of the second half after a Paddy McLaughlin run on left wing ended when he  crossed for Ryan McDaid  to slot home from ten yards. Carn pulled one back on 55 minutes when Christy McDaid ‘s cross  fell to Girts Dzerins who slotted home from ten yards. . Cockhill equalized on 84 minutes when a Dathi Grant free  found Bernard Gubbins who fired low past Nelson. Cockhill took the lead again on 85 minutes when Grant fired home after a Mark Gillespie  corner. Goals from Ryan Mallett and Kieran Bradley in the closing minutes eealed the win for Cockhill.


Greencastle Res                0

QPS Res                                0

A disciplined and well organised under strength  QPS team held on for a draw in this encounter at Chapel Lane. In fact, had it not been for an excellent save from Campbell in the home goal at the death, the Point could even have left with a win.Playing with an extra player Greencastle naturally dominated possession but, in truth, the home team failed to create many clear-cut chances, and with the chances they did create they found the Point keeper David Bell in excellent form. The young keeper made a couple of fine saves in the game but also dealt with several difficult crosses really well. His best save came in the first half when, after getting down low to parry an effort from distance from Donnelly, he got to make a stunning block from Joe Doherty on the follow up. This was Greencastle’s best opportunity in the first half and the game overall. The  second half continued in a similar pattern to the first, although the Point were a threat on the break. Joe Johnson came close with one such break on the 51st minute when Campbell made a decent save to deny him. For Greencastle, Peoples went close with a header and Gillen, Ryan McDermott, Harkin and Ronan Doherty all had half chances to put the home team ahead. The closest Greencastle came in the second half to breaking the deadlock was a long-distance effort from Donnelly that Bell brilliantly turned around the post for a corner. Shortly after this Johnson beat two players on Greencastle’s right and squared the ball to Mark Bell. His drilled effort from just inside the Greencastle box was saved smartly by Campbell in the Greencastle goal. This save prevent QPS leaving with all three points, which would have been a great reward for all the effort they put into the game.

Clonmany  Res                   3

Carrowmena FC                 0

Three first half goals sealed this win for Clonmany Reserves. The first goal came in the 5th minute when Jason Doherty was played through by ConorDoherty and he fired to the bottom corner of the net past Brian Houghton. They added a second in the 18th minute when Andrew Doherty played a ball out from the back and left wing back Caolan Farrell ran through on goal, Brian Houghton came out to close him down but Caolan held his nerve to finish to the keepers top right hand corner of the net. The third and final goal came in the 23rd minute with Dessie Doherty netting from the right side of the penalty area with a crisp drive which gave Brian Houghton no chance. Dessie  had received the ball after Jason Doherty’s initial shot had been blocked. Clonmany also saw a header come back off the crossbar and Dessie Doherty also had a goal bound shot blocked on the line by Carrowmena’s Andrew McLaughlin but did not add to their goal tally .