Match Reports Sunday 9th August


  Wednesday 5th  August

Jackie Crossan Premier Division 

Culdaff FC                            1

Buncrana Hearts              6

Culdaff completed their season with another defeat to high flying Buncrana Hearts in good conditions on Wednesday evening.

The home side stunned the visitors in the second minute after Ben  Curley lifted the ball over a defender for Aiden Cunningham to poke the ball past the advancing Eoghan O’Doherty where despite a defender getting back to stop the ball on the line Cuningham followed up to slot home. Buncrana replied with Mikey Friel firing wide from a good position before home keeper Dermot Callaghan made a fine double save to deny Friel and Declan Fullerton’s follow up. Friel then hit the post after a pull back from Gerard Boyle before Boyle knocked a John Timlin cross just wide. The pressure told on 31s minutes when a low corner from the left by Fulleron was flicked home by the unmarked Kevin O’Loughlin. Before the break Timlin beat the offside trap and crossed for Boyle to knock the ball home from twelve yards. On the stroke of half time the visitors made it three one after Fullerton collected a poor clearance and fed Ben Bradley on the left whose pinpoint cross was met with a bullet of a header from Boyle to the roof of the net. Five minutes into the second half Buncrana made it four nil after the home defence failed to clear and Bradley fired to the corner from ten yards. Within minutes Buncrana forced a corner and the unmarked O’Loughlin headed home the fifth. Culdaff battled hard and in a rare break forward Michael Coyle’s well hit shot was plamed round the post at full stretch by O’Doherty. Buncrana spurned a number of good chances to add to their lead before they completed the scoring after Bradley raced onto a long ball over the top to fire low to the corner.

Strand Hotel First Division 

Greencastle Res                3

Glengad Res                        2

Greencastle’s Shaun Cavanagh who retires after this game where he scored a late equaliser Shaun has played for Greencastle for 30 years Pictured with his Family

Greencastle had the first chance 5 minutes in when Pauric Gillens shot drew a good save from the young glengad keeper, Oran Raymond. Then a dangerous Darragh Gillen free kick was then headed clear by Glengads Niall McColgan. At the other end a Jason Doherty free kick was headed clear by Pauric Gillen. Glengad  broke the deadlock on 21 minutes after  PJ McDaid played a pass down the right wing for Paul McDermott  who cut in to the box and hit a powerful low shot just inside the left post and beyond Greencastle keeper Dylan Doherty. Greencastle pushed for the equaliser and had a Pauric Gillen shot deflected for a corner after good work by Shea Mclaughlin. Soon after a  Michael Barr header from Joe Doherty’s corner was also cleared off the line. In the last chance of the first half Greencastles Darragh Gillen earned a free kick 25 yards out, the resulting free kick from Michael Barr was cleared by a PJ McDaid header. Two minutes after the restart Greencastles Rory O’Donnell went on a mazy run down the left wing, then played in Keenan McLaren who was denied by a great Matthew Mullarkey tackle as he was about to shoot. Glengad replied and Paul McDermott had a long range effort well saved by Dylan Doherty. The visitors doubled their lead mid way through the half  when the ball was played up to Nathan McConologue  and he lobbed the advancing keeper with Dylan Doherty only able to get his fingertips to the ball. Greencastle  reduced the deficit on 71 minutes after  a Darragh Gillen corner from the right side was slotted home by Michael Barr at the second attempt. The same  players combined again when Gillen broke down the right after a pass from Shea McLaughlin and laid it back toBarr who lobbed Raymond from the edge of the box to make it  two apiece. Play swung from end to end and when McDaid fed McConologue he fired narrowly wide  from the ewdge of the area.. Greencastle sealed the victory  on 86 minutes after  a pinpoint clearance from keeper Dylan Doherty found Michael Barr who played the ball up to Shea Mclaughlin who evaded a couple  of challenges and curled an unstoppable effort to the top corner beyond the young glengad keeper.

Saturday 8th August

Donegal Signs  Division Two Shield Final

Aileach Youths claim first piece of silverware

Aileach Youths                   0       Aileach Youths win 3-2 on penalties.

Illies Res                        As expected this was a close hard fought affair between two evenly matched teams played out in sweltering conditions at Maginn Park on Saturday evening. While Aileach were the more cohesive unit and had more possession Illies certainly had the more clearcut chances over the course of the game.The first chance came on 4 minutes  when Aileach broke swiftly after an Illies corner and Benny Hegarty released Stephen O Donnell who evaded a tackle inside the area on the left but his dangerous cross was cleared over the bar by a defender. O Donnell then  picked out Daibidh Grant  in a central position but he was well off target with his effort. Illies first effort came after a loose ball broke to Shane Devlin thirty yards out but under pressure from a defender he failed to trouble Ryan Fox in the Aileach goal. Defences were on top then for the next period of the game with  Dominic  Doherty and Seamus O Donnell in command for Illies at the back and at the other end Kevin Wallace and Declan O Donnell equally so for Aileach. On 34 minutes a Marty Coyle free was gathered at the second attempt by Fox before the best chance of the game fell to Illis on 36 minutes. Coyle’s deep corner from the right eluded  all defenders but Liam O Connor coming in at the back post fired wide. Aileach upped the tempo on the restart and after Hegarty released Darren Bradley on the right his superb cross as brilliantly headed clear by Paddy O Connor with O’Donnell ready to pounce. In a similar scenario on the hour mark an inswinging free from Grant was again superbly headed clear by Seamus O’Donnell in the heart of the Illies defence. Illies showed they were still a force when a dipping Ronan Hegarty effort was well tipped over the bar by Fox at the other end. Play was swinging from end to end at this stage and when Hegarty released Bradley on the right he advanced into the area and saw his cross deflected over the bar by Paddy O Connor as he tried to pick out Stephen O’Donnell. Illies replied and another deep corner found substitute Martin Donaghy at the back post but he just failed to steer his effort on target. The sweltering heat seemed to take its toll on the players in the final twenty minutes but Illies spurned the  best chance of the game to snatch victory in the final minutes. Substitute Brendan Grant lifted a ball across the Aileach defence which found another substitute Joseph McLaughlin running clear but he fired straight at Fox  first time when he possibly should have advanced  before shooting. In the first period of extra time Kevin Wallace headed over,  Darren Bradley fired just wide and  Stephen O Donnell headed over as Aileach pressed Illies back. But again it was Illies who had the best chance after Hegarty flicked a throw in into the path of McLaughlin who took a touch and drove an angled effort just past the far post.The second period of extra time  saw both sides fail to create a chance of note and in the shootout with the scores tied at two apiece Stephen O Donnell stepped up to slam the final spot kick past Kevin Gallagher and claim victory for his side.


Peter Mc Laughlin Donegal Signs Presents Aileach Youth Captain Brendan Hegarty with the Shield also in Picture is Peter Jnr

Man of the Match

There were excellent performances on both sides with Dominic Doherty, James Downey and Marty Coyle prominent for Illies who also suffered a blow when Ethan Doherty had  to go off injured in the first half. For Aileach  Kevin Wallave, Declan O Donnell, Callum Porter and Stephen O Donnell all had fine games but the award on the night goes to young full back Matthew McDermott who saw off three different opponents on the night, made some vital interceptions and willingly supported his attack  when the opportunity arose.

  Sunday 9th Aug

Jackie Crossan Premier Division

Aileach FC                            1

Buncrana Hearts               3

Buncrana Hearts threw the title race wide open and in the process put themselves in the mix for league honours with this excellent victory.This game started at a furious pace with neither team getting any time on the ball. Buncrana were the first to threaten on 10 minutes when Bart Wesolowski got away from his marker but his tame effort from the edge of the box was easily dealt with by Kyle Dougal. Aileach responded when Ethan Canning found space on the left and fired a fierce drive from the corner of the box which Eoghan O Doherty did well to parry it out  for a corner. After 15 minutes Ethan Canning got to the bye line and crossed for Aaron Nash but the number 9 missed his kick with the goal at his mercy. From the same move Dermot Doherty retrieved the ball and crossed for Gavin Doherty to power a header narrowly wide. The home side would soon pay for those missed opportunities when on the half hour Aaron McDaid pounced on a loose ball and curled a 20 yard effort just inside Dougal’s left hand post. Five minutes later, Aileach broke forward and Darren McMonagle outpaced his marker but his shot could only find the side netting. It got worse for the home side a minute later when a Shane Dillon free from the corner of the box made its way into the net via a deflection. On the stroke of half time, Aileach spurned a great chance to pull a goal when Darren McMonagle crossed for Aaron Nash but the number 9s header from four yards was somehow pushed onto the bar by O Doherty and scrambled clear.Aileach started the second half on the front foot and on 55 minutes, Nash crossed for substitute Gareth McGlynn but his header under pressure cleared the bar. Just as the home side were beginning to get a foot hold, they suffered a sucker punch when Eoin Murphy got possession following a defensive mix up and fired low past Dougal’s right hand post. The home side finally got on the scoresheet when Gavin Doherty latched onto a McGlynn pass and fired an effort which O Doherty could only parry into his own net. As it turned out it was too little too late as Buncrana were able to kill the game and run out comfortable winners in what was a very lacklustre performance from the home side.

Greencastle FC                  2                     

Illies Celtic                          2

Illies started this  game very well with  Liam Doherty’s cross cum shot well gathered by Dylan  Doherty before both Liam Grant and Brendan Doherty headed over when well placed.  They continued to press and when David Doherty burst into the area he was only denied by a superb Darragh Browne tackle. Greencastle came more into the game midway through the half and Nigel McMonagle turned well inside the area but his effort was well saved by Kevin Gallagher, before Jamie McCormick rattled the crossbar with a twenty five yards free kick before he fired another one over the bar. In a swift break Illies went close with Adrian Donaghey Doherty denied by the legs of Dylan Doherty and at the other end McCormick evaded two tackles and found McMonagle  but Gallagher blocked with his legs. On the stroke of half time Illies broke the deadlock in controversial fashion. The home defence appealed in vain for a goal kick and when a scramble ensued in the area the ball broke to Brendan Doherty who slammed it home. Greencastle started the second half well  with Conor Gillen firing over before McCormick was denied by a fine save from Gallagher. Illies responded and Donaghey Doherty  raced clear but Dylan Doherty blocked with his legs. The home side  had a good spell then with McMonagle twice denied by good saves from Gallagher. Greencastle equalised on 75 minutes after McCormick shrugged off a couple of challenges and threaded a pass into the path of  Jason Dickson  who calmly slotted past Gallagher. But Illies responded well and regained the Lead minutes later when substitute Gavin Doherty won possession in the Greencastle half and advanced to drill past the advancing Doherty. The home side salvaged a point on 86 minutes when a long pass from Rowan released McMonagle  who expertly controlled before drilling home from ten yards.

Cockhill Celtic Yths                       0

Glengad United                             3

The score line is a little harsh on the home side who were well in the game until the opening goal arrived on 25 minutes and this after Cockhill had a man off getting treatment. To Glengads credit they took the goal well when Fionn McClure found Joe Doherty in space on the left and his early ball into the box was pounced on by the ever-busy Stephen McLaughlun  who shot low past Liam McGonagle in the home net from eight yards out giving the keeper no chance. Cockhill responded well and should have levelled matters on 30 minutes when Michael Owen Doherty powered a header wide after a great corner delivery from Adam McLaughlin. McLaughlins deliveries were quality and another delivery from a left-wing corner should have been the leveller but lack of communication from a couple of home players saw the chance go

Glengad always looked for the pace of Stephen McLaughlin in behind with Joe Doherty proving a real handful for the young Cockhill pairing of Odhran O’Brien-Daly and Ryan Downey, at 16, make his first competitive start for the Youths. Glengad hit Cockhill for a second on 64 minutes when McLaughlin  and Conor Barrow combined well on the right for the latter to produce a great cross for Joe Doherty to power a header to the net from the edge of the six yard box on the left.  After a stoppage of play on 73 minutes Cockhill were not tuned in and got caught from a short goal kick for Stephen McLaughlin to nip in and score past McGonagle. Not what the home side deserved in a game that they performed well in but its Glengad with their experience that win it by three  nil and keep in the hunt for another league title.


Strand Hotel Division One      

Greencastle Res                            2

Rasheney FC                                   2

Greencastle had the first chance of the game when after a foul on Shea Mclaughlin, Gavin Rowan fired his free kick just over the bar. The visitors took the lead 6 minutes in when after a quick build up, Conor McDaid fired home from  twenty five  yards out. Mclaughlin for Greencastle then had a twenty yards  yard effort blocked before Jason Dickson broke in to the rasheney box but keeper, Paddy McGilloway, gathered at his feet. Rasheney increased their lead midway through the half after  John Mclaughlin hit a low shot from twenty five  yards with the ball swerving in to the bottom corner giving keeper Seamus Bovaird no chance. The home side replied with Keenan McClaren seeing a free saved and Darragh Gillen heading over. Greencastle did get  a goal back with 43 minutes of the first half gone after Rowan took possession in midfield before  playing  a lovely through ball to McLaren who skipped past a couple of challenges and produced an excellent finish from the edge of the box. Rasheney pressed at the start of the second half and a dangerous Conor McDaid cross was well gathered by Bovaird. David Mclaughlin was then well tackled by Shaun Cavanagh as he was about to shoot on the edge of the area. At the other end a Rowan free kick found Dickson who shot just wide of the left hand post. Dickson then advanced in to the Rasheney box, turned, but had his low right foot shot tipped round the post by replacement keeper, Roger McGilloway. The keeper then saved a Dylan Doherty header from the resulting  Kevin Mclaughlin corner. McGilloway had to be alert as he  raced from his line to gather at the feet of Dickson as the home side piled on the pressure. That pressure told on 85 minutes when they  got a deserved equaliser . After good build up play the ball broke to the evergreen Shaun Cavanagh twenty five yards out, who took a look up, then hit an unstoppable effort to the top corner giving McGilloway no chance. There were chances at both ends in the closing minutes but both keepers made excellent saves. The final whistle blew with the score finishing two two and the retiring Shaun Cavanagh after a 30 year playing career with Greencastle FC being applauded off by his fellow team mates and supporters.

Glengad Res                                    1

QPS                                        1

Despite dominating the game for long periods the visitors failed to convert their superiority into goals and paid the price late on. The home side kept them at bay until the 21st minute when after good work by  John McCloskey in midfield he released Caolan McColgan to fire high past Michael Mclaughlin in the home goal. They almost added a second on 41 minutes with David Healy finding Josh Boyle but his rising effort  was tipped over the bar by McLaughlin. QPS continued to press for that elusive second goal on the restart and  McColgan twice, Healy and Boyle were all off target with efforts from around the edge of the area. Glengad stunned the visitors on 81 minutes after a corner broke to John G McDermott and he flighted a superb cross for PJ McDaid to head past Oisin Burke from ten yards. They almost recorded a shock victory in the 87th minute when Jason Doherty somehow blazed over from point blank range after the ball fell nicely to him from a corner.

Dunree United                   1

Redcastle United              1

This end of season clash was an entertaining affair played in a  good spirit.The game opened very evenly with most the play in the midfield with Dunree on top. On 15 minutes a free kick by Kyle Barrett in a good position was ballooned over the bar. Then a  great ball by Tommy Mulhern split the Redcastle defence but Conor Barett was denied by the legs of Michael Mc Cole in the visitors goal. A brilliant strike by Kyle Barett shook the crossbar from thirty yards out before the breakthrough came on 35 minutes. But  against the run of play when a  Redcastle corner by Darragh McConway was turned home by McColgan at the front post following some sloppy defending. Redcastle had the chance to double the lead on 40 minutes when a poor back pass let Darren Harkin in on goal only to be denied by a superb save by Sean Doherty in the home net. The visitors were well on top and were denied again on the stroke of half by the cross bar following a powerful header from Darren Harkin. Dunree started well after the break and were awarded a penalty in the 49th minute when Ryan Bradley was upended. Jamie Brosnan coolly sent the keeper the wrong way to equalise. Two great saves by Sean Doherty in succession kept the scores even on the hour mark denying McColgan and McConway. Dunree substitutes Jamie Brosnan and Eoin Doombes combined on the 65th minute with the later missing by a  whisker.The rest of the game was a tight midfield battle with neither side producing enough to seal the points.

Clonmany  run riot to clinch the league title in style

Clonmany Shamrocks                  8

Aileach Res                                     1

Gerard Davenport Vice Chairman of Inishowen League Presents the Strand Hotel First Division shield tp Clonmany Shamrocks Captain Patrick Harkin

Clonmany Shamrocks sealed the league title and an immediate return to premier

division football next season with  a big victory over Aileach Res at Shamrock Park.

Clonmany took the lead in the 8th minute when Shane McCaul’s pass from wide

on the right slipped Mark McLaughlin in behind the Aileach defence and he shot

low to the net giving Dylan Clarke no chance.They doubled the lead in the 10th

minute when Mark McLaughlin drove into the box before squaring to Damien Duffy

but Dylan Clarke pulled off a good blocking save and the ball broke kindly to Steve

Harkin 12 yards out and he drove the ball to the roof of the net.Shane McCaul tried

his luck in the 16th minute from the right hand side of the box but saw his dipping

shot land on the roof of the net.In the 21st Aileach’s Stephen Doherty had Patrick

Harkin back-pedalling to cover his shot from half-way but it cleared the Clonmany

crossbar.Clonmany scored their third in the 25th minute when Mark McLaughlin

controlled Fearghal Harkin’s pass on the edge of the box and turned inside ,past his

marker before unleashing a rasping shot to the top right hand corner of the net

giving Dylan no chance.Aileach had a good spell of possession after Clonmany’s third

goal and Denim McLaughlin set up Stephen Doherty in the 39th minute but he shot

wide of Patrick Harkin’s goals. Aileach pulled a goal back in the 42nd minute after

Denim McLaughlin was barged in the box and he stepped up himself to shoot low

to the bottom right hand corner with Patrick Harkin diving the wrong way.This

seemed to spur Clonmany on and in the 44th minute Fearghal Harkin shot from the

left hand edge of the Aileach box but saw Dylan Clarke save his shot but Mark Mc

Laughlin was following up to gather the loose ball send a low shot past the

prostrate keeper to complete his hat-trick. Clonmany began the second half as they

had ended the first and they made it 5-1 in the 56th minute when Alex McFadden

and Shane McCaul combined on the right flank and Shane crossed for Dean Harkin ,

who broke across the Aileach box and shot low to the net ,beating Dylan at his left

hand post.Clonmany made a raft of substitutions after this fifth goal and three of these

subs combined in the 66th minute to make it 6-1. First Adam McLaughlin crossed from

the right of the box ,to Niall McLaughlin who made a darting run into the box before

setting up Jason Devlin , who found the top left corner of the net.They made it 7-1 in

the 68th minute when another sub, Matthew Brennan collected a pass wide on the

left wing and his cross-come -shot drifted over Dylan Clarke at his near post and into

the bottom left hand corner  of the net.Clonmany wrapped up the scoring in the 87th

minute when Jason Devlin’s pass sent Adam McLaughlin away his shot from a tight

angle beat Dyan Clarke at his near post and seal an immediate return to the

premier division.

Clonmany clinch league title and promotion in tense affair

Inishowen Engineering Division Two  A 

Clonmany Celtic                2

Redcastle Res                    0

Jude Mc Crossan Inishowen League Registrar presents Clonmany Celtic Captain Raymond Mc Daid with the Inishowen Engineering Division Two A Shield

At the second time of asking Clonmany Celtic clinched the division 2A league title with a hard fought two nil win over Redcastle at Shamrock Park on Saturday evening . In beautiful conditions the home side took the lead after ten minutes when Karol Harkin rounded the keeper and squeezed the ball home from a very tight angle.The visitors competed throughout and on 37 minutes a Terry McColgan header looked destined for the top corner but Kieran Friel made a brilliant save tipping the ball over the bar. In a tense second half defences dominated and the longer the game progressed the more nervous the home side seemed to get. Those nerves were quenched when Niall McDaid  turned back the clock with a brilliant goal. Receiving the ball with his back to goal he turned well beating a defender before rounding the keeper and slotting home to spark jubilant scenes among supporters and players alike.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two   B 

Culdaff Res                          5

Carrowmena FC                 1

Culdaff got a great start   to this game played in ideal conditions at Caratra Park when Jack McLaughlin converted a penalty in the 8th minute after Niall Gordon had been  upended. But the visitors got back into the game on the half hour when Gerard  Gill controlled well twenty yards out turned and despatched a crisp low effort to the bottom corner. The remainder of the half saw defences on top and neither keeper troubled. The home side regained the lead six minutes into the second period after a Mark Doherty cross was parried by Ronan Bonner and McLaughlin pounced to drill home.  Bonner made a good save to deny McLaughlin but was helpless to stop the Culdaff striker from completing his hat trick on 68minutes. Gordon split the visitors defence with a fine pass for Mclaughlin to race clear and drill low to the corner. It became four one on 75 minutes after McLaughlin pounced on a poor pass to advance and when his low effort was saved by the legs of Bonner the ball fell to Gordon to slot home. Culdaff completed the scoring when a superb Liam Doherty pass found substitute Sean McGrenaghan on the right and he showed tremendous composure to cut inside and drill home.

Clonmany Res                    2         

Carn  Res                              2

Carn opened brightly with Dion Diver shooting wide when well placed in the first minute.Clonmany didn’t heed this warning when Diver broke again two minutes later and squared to Cian Burke who tapped home from six yards out to open the scoring.  Clonmany equalised in the 10th minute after Lee Coyle and David McGonigle set up Michael Devlin whose right foot shot beat Kyle Harkin at his near post. Clonmany should have taken the lead in the 15th minute when Aaron Harkin set up Tiernan McDonald  but Kyle Harkin blocked at the edge of the box and it broke to Thomas Comiskey but he shot wide of the goals from the edge of the area. Clonmany  did take the lead in the 32nd minute when Michael Devlin received a throw in on the left side of the box and turned a defender before slotting low home across the goals and into the far corner. Carn responded and home keeper Cillian McCarron made a good save from Dayton Cooke’s free kick on the edge of the box in the 35th minute to tip it over the crossbar. The visitors  equalised on 42 minutes when Dion Diver latched onto a breaking ball from a Clonmany  corner and broke upfield to draw Cillian McCarron from the goals and round him to slot home.

Clonmany almost scored just after the restart  when Thomas Comiskey curled a shot from the edge of the area which came back off the post with Kyle Harkin beaten. At the other end Cian Burke broke upfield and out paced the Clonmany defence to shoot into the side netting.  Carn took the lead in the 52nd minute when they stole a Clonmany kick out with Sean O’Donnell breaking forward to cross for Cian Burke to sweep home at the back post.Clonmany should have equalised in the 66th minute when Lee Coyle’s cross from the left was met by Thomas Comiskey at the back post but he connected with it too well and he shot over the bar.  As play swung from end to end Carn’s Dion Diver went close in the 75th minute when his shot from the left of the box grazed the crossbar. Clonmany also went close  in the 85th minute after  Tiernan McDonald broke into the Carn box but his lob over the advancing Kyle Harkin only found the roof of the net. The visitors sealed the win and kept their title ambitions on track   in the closing minutes with Cian Burke sealing his hat trick with a tidy finish past Cillian McCarron.