Match Reports Sunday 9th April

Inishowen Football League Fixtures  2022-23

Good Friday 7th  April     

Strand Hotel  Division One     

Clonmany Res 1

Greencastle Youth 1

Clonmany dominated the opening half of this game but conceded on the stroke of half time to go in level at the break. A sweeping move by the home side in the third minute saw Conor Dohertys  cross find Jake O Donnell who failed to get a clean connection from point blank range allowing Evan Davenport to save.

O Donnell then got in behind the visitors defence but dragged his effort wide on 7 minutes. They did take the lead on the half hour mark after O Donnell fed Ben Gill on the right and he cu inside before crossing to the back post where Raymond McDaid was on hand to slot home. They had another chance after a Greencastle defender miscontrolled a Conor Doherty long ball but Niall McLaughlin snatched at the effort when he had more time.Out of the blue Greencastle got back on terms on the stroke of half time after Nathan Harkin collected a ball twenty two yards out and lobbed the stranded Kevin McLaughlin. Greencastle had the first opportunity after the restart when a  Kyle Harkin speculative effort  was gathered by McLaughlin. Clonmany replied with O Donnell displaying good footwork to cross to Liam Hirrell whose header was saved by  Davenport. O Donnell then found Raymnd McDaid who in turn found Logan McDaid  who curled an effort just wide from  twelve yards.  Greencastle spurned a great chance in the closing stages when the unmarked Ronan Doherty  glanced a header wide from  six yards.

Buncrana Res 1

Carn FC 2

The league champions Carn FC ended their league programme with a hard  fought come from behind win at Castle Park in beautiful conditions on Good Friday.The Hearts took the lead on 15 minutes when Paul Mullin fired home from 15 yards. They almost doubled the lead  five minutes  minutes later  fter Thomas Adair picked out Seanan Murphy who controlled on his thigh before seeing his shot smack  off the crossbar and cleared by the visitors defence.

The second half was pretty even with neither side creating much in the way of goalscoring chances, bit the visitors had a great opportunity when Cian Burke fired past McBride only to see Adair clear superbly off the line. With ten minutes remaining Carn equalised Conor McCluskey beating the offside trap to cooly slot past Oran McBride. Deep into injury time the visitors snatched the points with  Ross Farren firing home from  five yards.

Buncrana Reserves


Inish  Engineering  Division Two    A    

Illies Res 2

Rashenny FC 3

With the breeze the visitors were the dominant team in the opening half. They started well and a deep cross from Cormac Dillon found Ryan Doherty whose ehader was well saved by the legs of Ciaran Sharkey. The same player then got on the end of a David McLaughlin corner but headed into the side netting. Illies only chance of the half arrived in the 26th minute when an Oran Doherty corner found Paddy Doherty who headed just wide. Rashenny made the break through on the half hour after  the home defence switched off and David McLaughlin collected a quick throw in to rifle to the roof of  the net from twelve yards. Before the break the visitors had another chance but Dillon fired wide when well placed. Rashenny increased their lead in the opening minute of the second half when Declan McLaughlin split the home defence for Peter Doherty to race into the area and  shoot low past Sharkey from twelve yards. Things got better for the visitors on the hour after Dillons corner eluded all defenders on its way to the net and the game looked over. But Illies rallied and got a goal back after Paddy Doherty fed Patrick Curran who turned on the edge of the area and fired to the roof of the net. On 81 minutes  Curran evaded two tackles on his way into the area before drilling past Gavin McLaughlin to make it three two. Illies exerted a lot of pressure but the Rashenny defence stood firm to claim a valuable three points.

Moville Res 4

Cockhill Res 2

In an entertaining game the home side started well with  Norbert Indyka denied by a good save from Darragh O Donnell before a dangerous cross from Michael McCarron flashed across the six yards box. At the other end Marc Doherty pounced on a defensive error but  fired narrowly wide. Moville then broke the deadlock on the half hour mark when Pearse Doherty fired a free kick from wide on the right to the top corner. Minutes later Indyka reacted first in a goal mouth scramble to poke the ball home from close range. Cockhill tried to respond but Paul Duffy was denied by a superb last ditch tackle from Evan Hudner. Then Moville made it three nil on the stroke of half time when a Michael McCarron cross found Conor Lafferty on the edge of the area and he controlled before  slotting low to the bottom corner. Cockhill started the second half well and  Duffy had two efforts saved by Stephen Teles  while Marc Doherty saw a twenty yards effort dip just over the bar. But Moville added a fourth on the hour mark after Cockhill failed to clear a corner  and Oisin Lynch headed home from six yards. Cockhill rallied and Dean O Donnell headed home from a  corner  in the 70th minute. Ten minutes later they got another after good work from Duffy found Doherty who finished superbly to the top corner  but Moville held firm to gain an excellent win and dent the visitors title aspirations.

Carn Res 4

Sea Rovers 0

In ideal conditions for a match it was a tightly contested first twenty minutes. Both sides had sustained pressure without creating any clear openings. It would be Carn who broke the deadlock when full back Christy Doherty won the ball high up the pitch and then squared it for Dayton Cooke who finished from five  yards out. Ten minutes before half-time Carn doubled their lead when Cooke turned provider. His perfect through fell to the feet of Shay Fallon who fired the ball into the roof of the net from twelve yards. Just before the break, Sea Rovers had a golden chance to pull one back when Conor Doherty crept in at the back post, his header drifting inches wide of the Carn goal. In the second half it was Carn who started brightest. Dion Diver raced through but only managed to put his shot over the bar after some good defensive work from Tiernan Stevens of Sea Rovers. Carn made the pressure count when Dayton Cooke got his second and Carns third of the game in the 55th minute with a smart finish from close range. Minutes later Cooke then sealed his hat trick after some good approach play  from Mark Scott. Scott’s dinked through ball left Cooke with only the keeper to beat and he did so expertly by lifting the ball over the on rushing keeper.  Sea Rovers didn’t give up and battled right until the end with Keelan Doherty working extremely hard in the Rovers midfield. Carn saw it out from their strong position and finished the game strongly to preserve a clean sheet.

Inish  Engineering  Division Two    B     

QPS Youth 5

Redcastle Res 0

The home side closed the gap to a single point at the top of the table with a comprehensive win over their local rivals. In the early exchanges Daniel McMenamin for the home side was denied by a good save from Oisin Quigley while at the other end Keelan Henry  shot into the side netting from a tight angle. The home side dominated after this with Conor Barrow firing wide before Oisin McIntyre was set up by Barrow but Quigley made another superb save at full stretch. Quigley then blocked with his legs to deny Josh McLaughlin before David Healy fired wide. The home side opened the scoring in the 26th minute after McMenamin and Barrow combined to set up McIntyre and he fired  to the top corner from twelve yards. Within minutes Barrow added a second racing onto a Eunan Mullan through ball before slotting past Quigley. A short  corner played to McLaughlin in the 38th minute saw his cross flicked home at the near post by Barrow to make it three nil. Barrow then completed his hat trick just before the break when he pounced on a defensive slip to round Quigley and squeeze the ball home from a tight angle. There was less action in the second period but substitute Eamon McCool’s ball over the top found McLaughlin whose effort was tipped over the bar by Quigley. The home side added a fifth on 79 minutes after Barrow set up Mullan to dink the ball over Quigley to the roof of the net. Redcastle had a couple of late chances both from Mark Farren which Stephen Slattery dealt with.

Sunday 9th April

Jackie Crossan Premier Division

Buncrana claim league title with point in fiery affair

Buncrana Hearts 0

Greencastle FC 0

Needing a point to win the league the home side started well  with a Kieran McDaid free in the 8th minute well saved by Conor Browne. The visitors responded and Odhran Kennedy had a half chance but was slightly off target. Buncrana upped the pace and Aaron McDaid volleyed staright at Browne from a John Timlin cross before a dangerous low cross from Kieran McDaid was  intercepeted by Browne and cleared by his defence. Greencaskt ethen had a clear chance on 36 minutes when Nigel McMonagle broke and fed Brennan Moore whose effort was superbly tipped around the post by Rory Kelly. Buncrana responded immediately with Kieran McDaid finding Aaron McDaid who dragged his effort wide when  well placed.  They had another chance on the stroke of half time after Aaron MCDaid evaded two  tackles and fed Eoin Murphy whose twenty yards effort was turned round the post by Browne. The second half was a dour niggly affair with few clear cut chances.  Greencastle had the first chance on 62 minutes after Nathan Harkin advanced from midfield and unleashed an effort which Kelly turned round the post.  Buncrana were then reduced to ten men with Paul McDermott getting a red card for a late tackle. In the 86th minute an Adam Curran cross almost caught out Browne who recovered to tip the ball over the bar.  The home side saw the game out to claim the point they needed  to claim their first league title wince their USL win almost thirty years ago and have two cup finals to come in the next month.

League Chairman Laurence Mc Colgan and Shane Crossan of Crossan Jewellers presenting the Premier division trophy to Buncrana Captain Ryan Doherty

Strand Hotel  Division One    11am  

Greencastle Youth 4

Buncrana Res 1

In the final game of the season Greencastle Youths hosted Buncrana Hearts reserves at Chapel Lane and secured the victory which saw them finish as runners up.Greencastle got off to the perfect start in the 3rd minute when a dangerous cross into the box by Kyle Harkin was diverted into their own net by an unfortunate visiting defender. The game settled into an even midfield battle with few  chances . Buncrana got an equaliser five minutes before half time when they scored from a good counter attack. The ball eventually was worked to Liam Jordan who cut inside and finished well at the near post.  Greencastle started off on the front foot in the second half and won a penalty in the 55th minute. Good work from Ronan Doherty down the left led to him being brought down in the box and Joshua Lafferty expertly drilled it into the top corner. Ten  minutes later Greencastle extended their lead after  Ronan Doherty set up Luke Bradley who placed the ball past the Hearts keeper and into the net. Hearts kept pushing and working and nearly had a goal back when a good cross from the left was met by Jack Soal whose effort creeped over the bar. In the last minute Greencastle extended their lead when following a corner the ball fell to 15 year old Jamie McGeoghan who scored a rocket into the top corner with his first goal in Senior football.


Donegal Signs Challenge Cup Semi Final

Carn FC 1

Cockhill Celtic Youths 0

There was no goalmouth action in the opening half with defences on top and the majority of the play bogged down in midfield. Cockhill spurned a gilt edged chance in the 57th minute after Conor McDaid was upended inside the area but Callum Gillen s spot kick was superbly saved low to his left by Kyle Harkin in the home goal. Carn responded and on 77minutes a long free into the visitors area was controlled by Cade Cooke who saw his effort blocked  and when the ball fell for Cian Burke his follow up effort was smothered on the line by  Eoin Colhoun. With extra time looming  and no sign of a breakthrough Carn struck  in the 87th minute.  Lorcan Bradleys  free kick from halfway was not dealt with by the Cockhill defence allowing Conor Doherty to control and fire high past Colhoun to the roof of the net from close range.Cockhill tried to get back into the game but the home defence stood firm to advance to the final against Illies or Greencastle.


Inish Grass Divisision Two ¼ Finals   

Cockhill Res 3

QPS Youth 1

After a few disappointing league results recently a young Cockhill side looked to bounce back in cup action.  Cockhill started positively and almost opened the scoring when PJ Doherty hit the post with a free kick from 25 yards. Liam Bradley was next up with another free kick from similar range and he found the target but QPS keeper Stephen Slattery was well positioned to make the save. Cockhill’s early pressure paid off after 15 minutes when Marc Doherty headed home from a PJ Doherty corner. QPS responded well to going behind and came in to the match and created a number of chances but on both occasions Aaron Scott and Eunan Mullan fired over as Cockhill preserved their slender lead at the break. Ten  minutes in to the second half Cockhill doubled their lead. Sean Bradley heading the ball in to the path of Shane McLaughlin who rolled his first time effort under Stephen Slattery to make it two nil. Within minutes QPS were right back in the match. Good work down the right by Cillian McIlhinney saw his cut back deflect off Cockhill’s Dean O’Donnell in to the net past Darragh O’Donnell to set up a tight end to the match. QPS continued to press forcing a number of corners and nearly levelled the tie up from one corner when a header from Eamon McCool came off the bar but the young Cockhill side showed good character and stood firm under pressure.

The cup tie was only made safe in the dying seconds when a quick counter attack saw Marc Doherty play Liam Bradley through and he showed great composure to take a touch and slot the ball in at the far post past Stephen Slattery to send  Cockhill in to the semi final.


Glengad Res 0

Carn Res 3

With a strong wind blowing across the pitch both sides took their time to get into the game. It was Carn who had most of the ball in the opening stages but Glengad were strong as a unit to limit any chances. After 20 minutes Carn took the lead. Carn winger Daire Tully beat his man on the edge of the box and squared it to Nathan McColologue who tapped the ball home from close range. Glengad responded well and were unlucky when a free kick just evaded the head of PJ McDaid. Carn went in at half time a goal to the good but Glengad were right in it. Glengad started the second half the better side but Carns defence stood strong. Michael McLaughlin  in the Glengad goal was forced into a good save when Cormac McLaughlins shot from 6 yards out came straight at him. Carn did get their second after a perfectly weighted ball from Dylan Cooke McColologue got his and Carns second by volleying the ball over McLaughlin. Glengad responded well with Matthew Mooney having a shot blocked from close range. Carn eventually got the goal to kill the game when Dion Diver raced through one on one and side footed his shot below the advancing keeper. Glengad didn’t give up and Mooney again almost got a consolation but he couldn’t keep his shot down from close range. Glengad forward Brian Houghton also came close with a volley. Carn would run out  three nil  winners in a game that was closer than the score line suggests.


Aileach Youths 1

Carrowmena 1 Carrowmena win  on pens

In what was a close tight affair the home side had the first opportunity when Dillon McGrory  saw his free kick go just wide. At the other end a neat one two between Gerard Gill and Eddie McIntyre saw Gill ‘s effort just off target before McIntyre unleashed a twenty yards effort which Dylan Clarke in the home goal saved well. Aileach ended the half well with Simon Wallace shooting over before  a Kevin Boyle cross found  Aaron Doherty but his header also cleared the bar. Aileach made the break though on the hour mark when a great  move by Boyle and Wallace was finished to the net by McGrory. But their joy was sort lived as the visitors got back on terms when a McIntyre cross was poked home from close range by Gill after hesitancy in the home defence. In extra time Bowen just failed to get on the end of Boyles cross for the home side while Killian Dougal went close for the visitors. And in the shootout it was  Carrowmena who prevailed and qualify for the semi finals.


Rashenny Res 0

Sea Rovers 5

Rovers dominated the opening half with the wind in their backs and on 7minutes a Kellan Doherty effort was well parried by Roger McGilloway  to Declan McGonagle who with the goal gaping saw his effort crash off the bar. Rovers opened the scoring on 21 minutes when Daniel Gallaghers corner fell for Conor Kelly to slot home from close range. McGilloway then kept the home side in it saving well from Oisin Hasson after he had raced onto a Conor O Neill pass.  Rovers doubled their lead before the break after a  McGonagle cross was sidfeooted home  from ten yards by Gallagher to leave them two nil ahead. After an even start to the second period with defences on top the visitors increased their lead in the 63rd minute when Doherty found Kelly who scored at the second attempt after McGilloway saved his initial effort. Rashenny responded with an Eoin Fowley effort from twenty yards superbly tipped around the post by Glen Watson. Rovers ended the game on top and added their fourth goal when McGonagles  cross was slotted home by Andrew Gallagher. The same player added the fifth and final goal  when he lashed the ball home from close range after a goal mouth scramble.


Inish  Engineering  Division Two    A    

Rashenny FC 1

Moville Res 2

In blustery conditions  the home side had the first opportunity when a Cormac Dillon cross just eluded the inrushing David  McLaughlin.   Moville then stunned the home side when they opened the scoring on 21 minutes  after Norbert Indyka pounced on a poor back pass to sidestep the advancing Damien  Friel and fire to the net. Rashenny upped the tempo and after Stephen Teles parried a long range John McLaughlin effort Dillons follow up was blocked. Teles then did superbly to tip away a Damien Friel free kick from twenty five yards before the home side got back on terms before half time.  John McLaughlins free from the right hand side was flicked on by brother David for Dillon to hammer the ball home at the back post. The home side started the second half well with Teles making good saves to  deny both Declan McLaughlin after a mazy run and  then tipping a Tommy Doherty effort over the bar. On 55 minutes Declan McLaughlins low cross was flicked just wide at the near post by Shane Cregan. But in the 70th minute after the home side had lost possession  the ball was played up to Indyka who was upended in the area and he picked himself up to score a re taken spot kick and put Moville ahead. Rashenny pushed forward and after a Conor McDaid cross found Tommy Doherty he failed to get a clean connection on the ball. Moville had the final chance with a long range Evan Hudner shot well saved by Friel as the visitors claimed the points and put  dent in the home sides league title aspirations.

Inish  Engineering  Division Two    B     

Redcastle Res 1

Dunree Res 0

The home side had the first attempt after 15 minutes  when a shot from Shay Sweeney was well saved by Philip Doherty in the Dunree net. Redcastle threatened again with a Darren Harkin cross   which was headed against the bar by Cathal Crumlish. At the other end on the half hour  a free kick from thirty yards from Dunrees Neil Moran brought a great save from Oisin Quigley in the Redcastle goals. Dunree were unlucky again on the 40th minute after  a shot from David O Hagan skimmed the bar and went over. On the stroke of half-time a shot by Shay Sweeney went over the bar when put through by Cathal Crumlish.  Redcastle took the lead on the 65th minute when a shot from 20 yards by Darren Harkin found the top corner after he was set up by Sweeney.  Sweeney was unlucky then when after a great run his shot from 10 yards was brilliantly saved by Philip Doherty in the Dunree net. Dunrees best chance came in the  80th  minute when a corner from David O Hagan was headed against the bar by David Eccles. Dunree pressed hard for an equaliser but Redcastles defence well marshalled by Gary Kelly held on for the points.