Match Reports Sunday 7th October

Sunday 7th October

Jackie Crossan Premier Division            

Aileach FC                            1

Greencastle FC                  3

This game started evenly and there were very few chances in the opening half.Greencastle took the lead after a dangerous ball into the box was not dealt with and Michael Barr was on hand to tap home.

They went close again when Eamon Donnelly shot over from outside the box. The home side drew level midway through the half when a Killian O’ Rourke pass was collected by Thomas Mc Mackin and he raced by a couple of defenders to score in the bottom corner. The second half started like the first half had begun but it was Greencastle that went close after a Donnelly free kick. Aileach had a chamce when Anthony Doherty ran down the right but his shot went over.Greencastle started to apply some pressure and got a penalty after a cross was punched clear by Ciaran Bradley in the Aileach goal but the resulting shot was deemed to have hit the defenders hand and Micheal Barr stepped up to score from the spot.Aileach responded and had a chance through Darren Mc Monagle but he shot over when well placed.The away side got there third when they broke from midfield and Matty Henry scored from distance.The home side tried to get back in the game but couldn’t score with chances from Coyle and Gavin Doherty.

Culdaff FC                            0

Buncrana Hearts               4

In rough conditions Buncrana were well worth the win but the home side will feel aggrieved about a couple of contentious decisions which went against them in the course of the game. The Hearts took the lead on 10 minutes after Kieran McDaid’s deep free from the left found the unmarked Gary Duffy to head across Darragh McLaughlin to the bottom corner. They doubled there lead minutes later with a hotly disputed penalty decision for handball allowing Kevin O’Loughlin to blast home the penalty. McDaid then had a volley superbly tipped onto the post by McLaughlin before Stephen McHugh had an effort crash back off the crossbar. Culdaff replied with Eugene McLaughlin and Niall Gordon firing narrowly over before an Aiden Cunningham free was brilliantly tipped over the angle by Eoghan O’Doherty. Buncrana spurned another gilt edged chance when McHugh released McDaid who rounded McLaughlin but fired into the side netting. On the stroke of half time Eugene Mclaughlin headed just over from a  corner. Buncrana blitzed the home side again at the start of the second half and made it three on 53 minutes when McHugh collected a short corner and crossed for the unmarked O’Loughlin to head to the roof of the net. On the hour Aaron McDaid slipped McHugh through the middle and he finished superbly first time to the bottom corner. Both sides made a number of changes which disrupted the flow of the game but the home side spurned two clear late chances when Matthew Mullarkey and Michael Coyle both fired wide from good positions.

Redcastle United              3

Carn FC                                 3

There was a lively start with neither side having any real chances. On 13 minutes a great run from Aiden McLaughlin got him through on the keeper but a brilliant save from Dean Nelson tipped it around the post. Ten minutes before half time Redcastle had another chance but this time a save and block from the defender prevented the ball from going in. From the resulting counter attack a great run from Ryan Kelly put him in and he made no mistake and made it to the visitors at the break. Three  minutes into the second half a tackle on Aiden McLaughlin gave Redcastle a lifeline when the referee gave them a penalty and Shaun Curran stepped up and put it straight down the middle. In the 54th minute a cross from Aiden McLaughlin found Eunan Mullan who headed well past the keeper and turned the match on its head. On 82 minutes  a corner was awarded to Cardonagh which developed into a  goal mouth scramble and Conor Doherty knocked it in to equalise. With minutes left a cross from Michael McDermott found Shaun Doherty who put it in the empty goal to put Carndonagh back in front. In added time Redcastle forced a corner and Darragh McConway’s kick  went directly in to the net to earn the home side their first league point of the season.

Glengad United                 2

Clonmany Shamrocks      0

Glengad with the breeze started slowly and their first attempt came on 21 minutes when a Stephen McLaughlin free failed to trouble Liam McGonigle in the Clonmany goal. Clonmany broke five minutes later and when Raymond McDaid fed Jason Doherty he cut in but fired wide from sixteen yards when he should have done better. Glengad had a lot of possession but all they had to show for it before the break was a Terence Doherty effort which flashed wide. Glengad began the second period well and on 48 minutes Mclaughlin crossed to Conor Barrow whose effort from eight yards was brilliantly saved by McGonigle. They broke the deadlock on the hour mark after great interplay from James McKinney and McLaughlin saw the latters cross fired home by Dillon Ruddy. Clonmany almost equalised after a Niall McLaughlin cross picked out Brendan Devlin and his looping header drifted just over. Glengad made the game safe then when substitute Patrick McDermott advanced from midfield and unleashed an effort which deceived  McGonigle.  Both Seamus Doherty and John McDaid had late efforts well saved by McGonigle.

Strand Hotel First Division

QPS                            3

Sea Rovers              0

In blustery conditions at the Muff venue the home side started well and two efforts from Fionbhar Harley were well saved by Glen Watson in the Rovers goal. Rovers replied on the half hour with a Damien Ward free well saved by Oisin Burke in the point goal. QPS broke the deadlock on 41 minutes when Sean Downey fired an excellent effort to the bottom corner from the edge of the area. Downey then turned provider on the hour mark when his cross was converted by Harley from eight yards. They completed the scoring and sealed  the points in the 77th minute after a superb run and cross from Stephen Harley was slotted home by James Quigley from six yards.

Dunree United                   1

Aileach Res                         2

Failure to convert good chances at crucial times saw the home side pay the price in the long run. Dunree started well with Bernie Doherty denied by Ryan Fox  before the unmarked Ryan Bradley headed over from a Darryl Moran corner. Moran then gave the home side the lead on 26 minutes when he scored direct from a corner. Aileach came more into the game before the break and Sean McHugh had a fine strike tipped around the post by  Philip Doherty. Dunree then had the first chance of the second half on 54 minutes after Thomas Mulhern fed Jamie Brosnan  but his effort was blocked by the legs of Fox. Aileach got on top and levelled on 66 minutes when McHugh turned sharply and fired a superb effort from twenty five yards to the top corner. Dunree had chances to regain the lead with a Liam Baldrick cross eluding three attackers before Bernie Doherty fired when well placed. Aileach struck for the winner on 87 minutes when a speculative James Wallace effort from thirty yards eluded all and landed in the net.

Rasheney FC                       1

Moville Celtic                     2

There was little goal mouth action until Moville took the lead on 24 minutes when Michael McNaught collected a poor kick out and advanced to drill home.

Rasheney equalised they were awarded a penalty for handball  in the 39th minute and John McLaughlin stepped up to fire past Ryan Coyle. The game opened up in the second period and both John Grant and Aaron Harkin failed to hit the target for the home side when well placed. Moville replied on the hour and McNaught was unlucky to see his effort crash off the bar. Moville struck for the decisive strike on 68 minutes when a Nathan Harkin cross cum shot sluded all and landed in the bottom corner. Rasheney pressed but failed to create clear chances and Moville had the final chance but Lee mcColgan was denied by a fine Tiernan Devine save.

Cockhill Youths                  7

Gleneely Colts                   2

Ronan Mclaughlin fired the home side ahead in the 7th minute despatching a twenty yards free low to the corner past Ben Miller. The colts replied and Cory O’Brien raced clean through but was denied by Declan Caldwell in the home goal before Shane Meehan should have done better than head wide when unmarked. Cockhill blitzed the visitors with three goals in nine minutes courtesy of a Shane A Doherty hat trick. Firstly he got on the end of a david laird cross to slot home from close range before repeating the feat from a Marty Doherty crossfield ball. Then on 42 minutes he collected a pass from laird and made space before curling a superb effort to the top corner to leave it four nil at the break. Six minutes after the restart  they made it five when jack Mcdaid surged into the area before firing to the net from a tight angle. Gleneely to their credit battled hard and got a goal back when Billy Mccann crossed for Meehan to hammer home from ten yards. But Cockhill substitute Shay Mclaughlin made it six one when Daniel Martin Doherty unselfishly set him up to slot home from close range.Another substitute Michael Owen Doherty added a seventh with a superb lob from the edge of the area. The colts got a consolation in the final minute when Dylan McDaid converted a penalty after McCann had been tugged back.

Buncrana Res                     1

Glengad Res                                    8

Glengad deservedly took all three points in a match that they dominated from the kick off. Playing with a strong breeze they went into the halftime break leading by six goals to one. Two goals each from Joe Doherty , Paul McGonigle and PJ McDaid left the visitors in the driving seat while Michael Doherty pulled one back for the home side.Playing with the wind in the second half Buncrana created several scoring chances but were unable to add to their solitary goal while Glengad added two more through Brian Doherty and Jason Mullarkey.

Division Two               

Clonmany Res                    1

Redcastle Res                    1

The home side had the benefit of the wind in the first half but had to wait until the 23rd minute to threaten when a Thomas Comiskey over head kick was well saved low to his right by Ryan McCole. They were unlucky then when Dessie Doherty rattled the crossbar with a fine strike from the edge of the area. On 28 minutes Caolan Farrell crossed from the left and the ball found Conor Doherty at the back post but he fired wide. But Doherty made amends on the half hour when he latched onto Comiskey’s miscue after a corner and drilled low across McCole to the bottom left hand corner. The same player almost added a second  on the stroke of half time but this time his effort clipped the post. Redcastle pressed on the resumption and forced the home side back but struggled to create chances. Clonmany broke on 64 minutes with substitute Alex McFadden feeding Conor Doherty who laid the ball into the path of brother Dessie but his effort hit the post. Five minutes later they went close again  when Kevin Harkin got on the end of a corner but failed to direct his effort on target. Redcastle resumed pressing and they equalised when Johnathan Toye crashed an unstoppable twenty five yards free to the top corner. On 86 minutes Terry McColgan broke on the right and squared for Mark Doherty but his effort was clawed behind by Cillian McCarron. From the inswing corner from Doherty the ball was cleared off the line by Harkin as both sides earned a share of the spoils.

Carn Res                               2

Carrowmena FC                 2

The home side will be very disappointed as they led by two goals to nil but conceded two in the last five minutes as Carrowmena gained their first point of the season. On 4 minutes a Niall McGuinness  corner was headed home by Dillon Cooke from ten yards. Five minutes later a McGuinness pass found Tiernan Coyne and he squared for Christy McDaid to fire low past Brian Houghton. Carrowmena responded midway through the half but Drew Crumlish was denied by Dean Mason in the home goal. Carn pressed again and before the break Coyne was denied by Houghton and Lorcan Bradley fired wide after good work by Paul Stephens. In a lively second half  John P Thompson fired a powerful effort just wide for the visitors before Finbar McCallion got on the end of a Gerard Gill cross but failed to hit the target. At the other end Michael Stephens and Coyne were both off target when well placed. Carrowmena got a goal back on 87  minutes after Gill released Mark Doherty who advanced and squared the ball back for McDermott to despatch a crisp low effort into the bottom corner from twenty yards. On the stroke of full time they salvaged a point when Gill raced onto a long ball and rounded a defender before firing low past Mason from fifteen yards.

Greencastle Res                0

Rasheney Res                     3

Rasheney recorded their second successive victory and caused a bit of a surprise when three second half goals earned the points. Greencastle had most of the play in the opening half and Joe Doherty was denied by a fine smothering save at the strikers feet before Grant safely  gathered a dangerous cross and a long range free both from Kevin McLaughlin. Rasheney replied before the break with Corny McCole firing wide from the edge of the area.Greencastle started the second period well and in the opening quarter Grant in the Rasheney goal produced two superb saves to deny Tom Heuston and Conor Gillen. On 61minutes rasheny broke and substitute Nathan McConalogue pounced on a poor clearance to drill low to the corner from twelve yards. Matthew Duffy then headed wide from  McCole’s cross . Greencastle tried to respond and substitute Andrew Peoples and Adam Harkin both had efforts on target but both saved by the legs of Grant. Rasheney added a second on 83 minutes when McConalogue cut in from the left and curled a superb effort to the top corner past Ciaran Bonner. The same player completed his hat trick when he raced onto a long clearance from McCole and superbly lobbed Bonner from twenty yards.

Moville Res             4

Illies Res                  3

Illies got a dream start when they opened the scoring on 2 minutes after Brendan Grant pounced on a defensive error to lob Maurice McGeady in the home goals. Shane Devlin then had another chance for the visitors but McGeady saved well. Moville replied with Ciaran Diver breaking on the right and feeding Pearse Doherty but his effort from the edge of the area was straight at Graham Doherty. Illies then had another chance when  Ronan Hegarty broke clear but he fired wide from a good position. Midway through the half Moville equalised when Diver went up the right and crossed for Danny Murphy to slide the ball home. But Illies replied with Shane Devlin seeing a free kick well saved by McGeady befoee the same player restored the visitors lead when he pounced on a loose ball to drill home from fifteen yards. Moville got back on terms for the second time on the stroke of half time when after  corner was cleared to Matthew McLaughlin he fired a powerful effort from twenty yards through a crowd of players and into the bottom corner. After a quiet opening to the second half Moville took the lead on the hour when james Gillen collected Doherty’s kick in midfield and fired a first time wind assisted effort past the back tracking keeper. But Illies responded this time when great interplay between Hegarty and Devlin saw the former slot home  from close range. Moville struck for the winner when Gillen’s free from a wide position eluded all defenders and curled into the bottom corner. Illies tried to hit back with Joe McDaid finding Hegarty but his well hit effort was saved by McGeady.

Aileach Youths                   5

Culdaff Res                          2

Played in Culdaff on Saturday night this was an entertaining affair with plenty of goalmouth action at both ends. Aileach got a dream start in the opening minute after Brendan Hegarty broke on the right and squared for  Liam Watson to slot home from close range. Culdaff replied and Jack Mclaughlin saw a close range effort turned round the post by the leg of Ryan Fox while at the other end Puaric O Donnell made a fine save from a deflected Paul McGrory effort. Good play then by Culdaff’s Ben Curley and Mclaughlin saw the former fire wide from the edge of the area.  Aileach spurned a good chance on 24 mnutes when the lively Aaron Doherty raced clear on the left but fired just past the far post. Culdaff equalised on 33 minutes with an excellent goal. Gary Collins spread the ball out to Markin Keddy on the right and his pinpoint cross picked out McLaughlin to slot home from six yards. Before the break aileach’s Doherty had two chances to restore their lead but on each occasion and great footwork he failed to hit the target. Aileach started the second period well and a two goal burst in four minutes put them in control. Firstly Patrick Curran intercepted a poor clearance and drilled past O’Donnell before slack defending allowed Doherty to race clear and fire to the bottom corner. Doherty then was unlucky to see an effort crash off the post before Culdaff substitute Michael McLaughlin failed to make contact with another Keddy cross. Culdaff reduced the deficit on 72 minutes when Jack McLaughlin fired a brilliant twenty five yards effort past Fox. But five minutes later Aileach regained the two goal cushion when Doherty curled a thirty yards free to the top right hand corner. Neil McElhinney then saw a header crash off the bar as Aileach continued to press. In the closing minutes Culdaff went close on two occasions with clear chances. Firstly McLaughlin was denied his hat trick with a rising shot which clipped the bar before Collins pounded on a defensive slip but fired straight at Fox who blocked. In injury time Aileach  added their fifth when Ryan Wilson finished well to the bottom corner from close range.