Match Reports Sunday 6th May

Inishowen Football League  6/5/18

Jackie Crossan Premier Division 6.45pm (Played Tuesday)

Buncrana Hearts               3

Greencastle FC                  6

Played in constant rain on Tuesday night the hearts started well with Ryan Currans powerful effort well saved by Dylan Doherty. The home side broke the deadlock on 16 minutes when Kieran McDaid broke through the visitors defence  to round Doherty and slot home.

A couple of minutes later Liam McCarron released McDaid and he fired low to the corner from fifteen yards to double the lead. Greencastle replied and a long range Nigel McMonagle effort fizzed just wide. Matthew Henry then broke on the right and crossed for Conor Gillen to slot home and reduce the deficit. On the half hour Greencastle equalised when Stephen Grant fired to the net from the edge of the area. They completed the turnaround on 41minutes after the home defence failed to clear allowing Gillen to fire home from close range. On the stroke of half time the home side levelled after a fine John Timlin cross found Gerard Boyle and he slotted into the top  corner from fourteen yards. The second half saw fewer chances but Greencastle took the lead again when McMonagle pounced on poor defending to drill across Eoghan O Doherty to the far corner. Midway through the half Henry beat two defenders and slotted low to the corner. They completed the scoring when Jude Harkin fired low past O Doherty in a crowded area to continue their climb up the table.

Glengad United                 3

Greencastle FC                  1

Glengad go into the final game of the season away to  Aileach knowing a win will guarantee them the league title again while a defeat would see a play off required. Gegad started well and on 8 Minutes Adam Byrne laid the ball off to Terence Doherty who raced clear and rounded Dylan Doherty but failed to hit the target. They took the lead minutes later after Shane Canning found Cathal Mcdaid on the left who squared across for Doherty to fire low to the net from six yards. Midway through the half Christy Hegarty played a ball over the top for Nigel McMonagle but he fired narrowly wide. On the half hour Terence Doherty again raced clear and pulled the ball back to Stephen McLaughlin whose driven effort crashed off the post. They had another chance when Byrne broke through but Dylan Doherty smothered well at his feet. The last chance of the half fell to the visitors but Matty Henry’s effort was brilliantly saved by Kevin McLaughlin. Glengad got a dream start to the second period when Terence Doherty found McLaughlin to drive low to the corner from the egde of the area. On 50 minutes a defensive error allowed McMonagle to break but he fired ide from fifteen yards. Canning then reldefence befeased McLaughlin on 75 minutes but Doherty advanced to smother at his feet.Glengad made it three nil when McLaughlin ran at the defence before finding Doherty to slot home from six yards.On 83 minutes Stephen Grant broke on the right and was upended by McLaughlin with McMonagle converting the spot kick low to the left hand corner. Glengad had the final chance when Doherty fired wide after a great ball from John G McLaughlin released him.

Aileach FC                6

Culdaff FC                1

Aileach were ahead within five minutes  when Anthony Doherty played a through ball for Ronan Coyle to finish from a tight angle past Darragh McLaughlin. Minutes later  Aileach had the ball in the net again but this time Coyle’s effort was ruled out for of side. On the half hour Aileach doubled their

advantage when Gareth McGlynn played a delightful through ball for the run of Gavin Doherty who pulled the ball back for Ronan Coyle to hammer past

McLaughlin from ten yards. A third duly  arrived on 35 minutes when Darren McMonagle got clear down the right and crossed for Anthony Doherty to convert from close range.With half time approaching Aileach made it four when the ball broke to Gavin Doherty just outside the box and the midfielder fired a lovely drive just inside McLaughlins right hand post. The second half was barely five minutes  old when Ronan Coyle completed his hat trick after being put clear by Gavin Doherty before sliding the ball under the advancing McLaughlin. Midway through the half Culdaff pulled a goal back when Benny McLaughlin converted a penalty low past Devlin’s right hand. Aileach made wholesale changes at this stage bringing on some of their younger players and one of them, Patrick Curran completed the scoring in the dying seconds when he turned home a Gareth McGlynn cross from close range.


Jackie Crossan Premier Division Relegation Play Off

Illies Celtic              1

Carn FC                     1          ( Carn FC win 5.4 in sudden death penos)

In glorious conditions at Maginn Park  Illies had an early chance in the 4th minute when Liam Grant intercepted a clearance allowing Paddy Doherty to collect the ball and unleash an effort which Kyle Dougal held comfortably. Illies then took the lead on 11 minutes after great work on the right by Dominick Coyle saw his cross kneed home from six yards by the unmarked Paddy Doherty. The next twenty minutes saw little goalmouth action with Carn having the lions share of possession but failing in the final third to create clear chances. A great break from Adrian Donaghey Doherty  on 38 minutes saw him release Coyle but he fired wide from the edge of the area. Then a Liam Grant free was met by a flying Paddy Doherty header but Kyle Dougal produced a brilliant save to turn the ball behind for a corner. Illies had the first chance of the second half on 52 minutes after Gavin Doherty crossed from the left for Adrian Donaghey Doherty whose powerful effort from the edge of the area was well parried by Dougal. A minute later Coyle’s cross from the right found Gavin Doherty but his flick just missed the far post. Dougal then made a double save to flick away Gavin Doherty’s cross before blocking Paddy Doherty’s follow up. Carn replied and Joseph McKinney fired over from twenty five yards.Carn then had a great chance on 59 minutes after McKinney threaded a ball into Cade Cooke but his close range effort was deflected over by Johnathan Noone. But from the corner Aaron McCarron unmarked rose high to direct  a header from eight yards into the bottom left hand corner.On 77 minutes a ball into the area fell to Cade Cooke for Carn but off balance he fired wide. Carn had another sight of goal on 86 minutes when substitute Declan McGonigle fed Ronan Doherty who laid the ball off to Shane Doherty but he dragged his effort wide. Carn spurned a clear chance in injury time when a Declan McGonagle  effort was half blocked to substitute Gert Dzerins but his sidefooted effort lacked the power to trouble Noone. In extra time a Liam Grant free from wide on the right found Michael Gallagher but his header was well saved by Dougal. There were few chances in the second period and in the shootout Carn preserved their premier division status while Illies must lift themselves for their play off with Moville Celtic next Sunday.

Carn F.C.who defeated Illies Celtic 5-4 on Pen

Illies Celtic

Inishowen Engineering Division 2 A   

Glengad Res          4

Moville Res             0

In beautiful conditions on Sunday morning at the Crua     the first action came on 19 minutes when Mark McKinney fed Gary Kelly who rounded a defender but saw his effort crash off the bar .Moville replied and Ciaran Diver fed Ryan McColgan but his effort was well blocked by Niall McColgan in the home defence. Glengad started the better in the second half with PJ McDaid advancing and crossing acrossthe face of goal but there were no takers. They did take the lead when Gary Kelly fed Cathal Doherty who fired to the top corner from the edge of the area high past William Gillespie. After a tough spell then Gary Kelly fired low to the corner from close range on 84 minutes. Glengad broke again and Patrick Mclaughlin closed down Gillespie and the loose ball fell to McDaid to fire home. They completed the scoring when Brian Doherty won possession and fed McDaid whose effort came off  a defender to make the final score four nil to the league champions.


All Ireland Under 12 Subway Inter League Semi Final.

Inishowen                0

Athlone                    1

There was very little between the teams with the  visitors being slightly the stronger physically but this game could have went either way.Inishowen went close in the opening minutes when Brendan McLaughlin flashed a right footed effort narrowly past James Mitchells right hand post. McLaughlin then made a storming run down the left but his cross flashed across the face of goal with no on on hand to take advantage. Athlone replied and  Tiernan Doherty saved well from Kameron Krishern before Destiny Ezanna headed wide from a corner. Inishowen then went close on 21 minutes when a Darragh Coyle free found Ciaran O’Kane but he headed narrowly over. At the other end an Athlone corner found the unmarked Krishern but his header was blocked by the legs of Doherty. Rory McDaid then almost got on the end of a through ball but Mitchell advanced to kick clear. After an even start to the second period Athlone had a clear chance on 41minutes when  Eoin Sheeran  raced onto a log ball but Daniel McDaid advanced to block. Inishowen created a gilt edged chance    on 45 minutes when Brendan Roe broke on the right and pulled the ball back to Tiernan Ruddy who fired inches wide. Athlone took the lead with five minutes remaining after  Brian Murphy   pounced on a back pass to round McDaid and slot home. Inishowen tried hard to force extra time but the Athlone defence stood firm and they advance to the final.