Match Reports Sunday 5th September

Sunday  5th September   

Jackie Crossan Premier Division  

Carn FC 2

Glengad  United 2

Terence Doherty fired the visitors in front after only 5 minutes  but they failed to build on that before the break. Carn came out fired 

up for the second half and got back on terms on 66 minutes when Cian Burke finished well from inside the area. But Glengad upped the tempo and when the home defence failed to clear the ball ricochet off a defender and into the net to out the visitors ahead  again. However the home team rallied again and equalised on 81 minutes when Christy McDaid scored to ensure a share of the spoils in this opening league clash at St Patricks Park.

Illies Celtic 1

Greencastle FC 2

Greencastle got off to a great start in the second minute when Jamie mc Cormack crossed to the back post and Nigel Mc Monagle tapped home .Illies had a couple of chances in the 8th minute when Brendan Doherty crossed for Brendan Grant but he shot wide and 10th minute another Brendan Doherty cross put wide by  Adrian Doherty​ . Greencastle ‘s Jamie Mc Cormack then had a shot wide from distance .Illies equalised in the 32nd minute after a Shane Doherty free kick fell to Brendan Grant and he lobbed the ball over the defender for Dominick Doherty (B)  to head to the net past Paddy Quigley.In an evenly matched second half both sides had half chances but couldnt hit the target until the 78th minute when Jamie Mc Cormack went on a mazy run and hit a shot low past sub keeper William mc Laughlin from twenty two yards .Illies went straght up the field and Adrian Doherty crossed for Paddy Doherty who flicked the ball goalwards but Paddy Quigley made a good save to ensure the visitors collected all three points in an entertaining clash.


Buncrana Hearts 0

Aileach FC 3

Aileach made the better start and on 3 minutes Darren McMonagle clipped the bar with a shot from the edge of the area. Buncrana responded and Jerry Gill had an effort saved by Darragh McLaughlin in the visitors goal. A defensive error on 18 minutes allowed McMonagle to nip in and slot the ball to the unguarded net.The home side upped the tempo with Gill firing over from close range, Mikey Friel heading over from a corner after his effort was blocked behind  and then after good work from Kieran McDaid who found Friel he failed to hit the target. Aileach were always dangerous on the break and one break ended with Darren Nash firing narrowly wide. Aileach did increase their lead with a fine move started by Thomas McMonagle to Nash whose cross was superbly finished past Eoghan O Doherty by Darren McMonagle. Buncrana were first to threaten in the second hald when a Ryan Doherty cross was headed over by Aaron McDaid. They were dealt a severe blow on 58 minutes when Calvin Gallagher was red carded for a second booking. But they continued to press and from Kieran McDaid’s corner namesake Aaron header was well saved. Another set piece delivery from Kieran Mc Daid saw substitute Bart Wesolowski ‘s glancing header just wide while another substitute Michael Coyle saw a header come off the bar. Aielach finished the game strongly with Paddy Slevin clipping the outside of the post before a defensive error on 89 minutes allowed substitute Jordan McGeady to capitalise and make the final score three nil.

Moville Celtic 1

Clonmany Shamrocks 1

The visitors were first to threaten in the opening minutes as Jason Devlin’s shot from an angle was pushed around the post by home keeper Seamus Houghton. From the resulting corner Clonmany had a free header in the box but failed to capitalise. Moville replied minutes later with Norbert Indyka closing down a clearance freeing Michael McNaught but his low drive from 20 yards was wide. In the 15th minute Clonmany keeper Paddy Harkin managed to block Indyka’s effort from McNaught’s cross while at the other end Houghton dealt capably with Alex McFadden’s deflected cross. Houghton denied Devlin twice in a few minutes on the half hour firstly from a drive and then blocking quickly when Devlin was put clear by Matthew Brennan. Moville took the lead in the 34th minute when McNaught and Indyka combined brilliantly on the left which allowed McNaught to pull a cross back inside the area which the onrushing Marc Bell steered into the top of the net from 18yards. Clonmany had their equaliser in the 41st minute when Paddy Doherty rose unchallenged in the area to head Niall McLaughlin’s corner into the top corner. In the dying moments Harkin did well to block with his legs McNaught’s attempt.

In the opening minutes of the second half Devlin had Houghton scrambling with his 22-yard drive after he was fed from Jamie Coyle’s cross. In the 53rd minute Ryan McColgan was put in the clear from Indyka’s header on but he placed the ball wide of both Harkin and the upright. Clonmany’s Dean Harkin fizzed in a cross which two attackers just missed while Moville immediately responded with Bell firing wide from McNaught’s pass. Midway through the half  McNaught found McColgan in the area but his effort was weak and Harkin gathered at the second attempt. Minutes later Oisin Hession had a free header at the back post for Clonmany but his attempt was weak and Houghton dealt easily. In the 80th minute both sides tried long range efforts with Devlin and McNaught but neither keeper was troubled. The last chance came in added on time with Indyka’s low shot across the goal line but there were no Moville players there to take advantage.


Strand Hotel Division One   

Culdaff FC 6

Dunree United 

Culdaff  got their league campaign off to a winning start and opened the scoring on 7 minutes after Jack Mclaughlin capitalised on a defensive mix up to slot past Adam Harrington in the Dunree goal. McLaughlin doubled his tally on 19 minutes when his close range effort trickled into the corner. Minutes later he completed his hat trick when he controlled a Conor Doherty cross and finished high to the roof of the net. On 26minutes McLaughlin added his fourth goal of the game when he again controlled Doherty s cross and poked the ball home from close range. Dunree were shellshocked at this stage but a Jamie Brosnan cross found Dermot Graham who headed just over the bar. Before the break the home side added a fifth when Jack O Brien fed Doherty who evaded a defender and fired low to the corner. The pattern continued after the break with McLaughlin adding his fifth and Culdaffs sixth on 58 minutes when he headed home an inswinging Aiden Cunningham corner. Harrington in the visitors goal then produced a stunning save to keep out Eugene McLaughlins’s volley. On 81 minutes Sean O Neill for the home side saw his beautifully struck volley from twenty yards crash off the bar. 

Aileach Res 3

Gleneely Colts  2

A mix up in the home defence allowed Cory O’Brien to slot the ball home and give the Colts the lead in the 5th minute. Aileach replied and Darren Bradley found himself clear but fired straight at Oran Raymond  in the visitors goal. They did level on 20 minutes when Anthony Doherty finished off a flowing move from twelve yards.Aileach were on top then with Bradley taking a heavy touch when clear, Gareth McElroy having a shot deflected wide and Paddy Curran seeing an attempted lob drift just past the post.They took the lead on 35 minutes when James Wallace converted a penalty low to the left after McElroy was upended. They added a third on the stroke of half time when McElroys shot broke kindly for Curran to slot home. Gleneely were first to threaten after the break and John Doherty fired narrowly over the bar from fourteen yards. Aileach hit back with Curran’s shot saved, a Davy Ryan goalbound effort blocked by his own player and Curran racing clear onto a ball over the top but shooting inches past the far post. Gleneely rallied and reduced the deficit when paul Gamble fired a superb right footed effort from the edge of the area to the top corner. But Aileach held firm to claim the points.


Redcastle United  4

The visitors had the first chance on 11 minutes when Gavin Grant broke through the home defence but Oisin Burke blocked well with his legs. At the other end Josh Boyle cut  in from the left past two defenders but his effort was deflected wide. Redcastle opened the scoring on 20 minutes after Stephen Grant advanced on the right cut along the byline and from a tight angle squeezed the ball home at the near post. Ronan Hoy then had an effort parried by Burke with the defence completing the clearance before at the other end a Darragh McIntyre free was saved by Michael McCole. Redcastle ‘s Brendan Murphy saw his thirty yards effort saved by Burke before they doubled their lead after Hoy broke through two tackles and slipped the ball low past the advancing Burke. The point rallied and reduced the deficit when Stephen McKendry cut in from the left and unleashed a screamer to the far top corner of the net. But on the stroke of half time Redcastle made it three one after Hoy latched onto a ball over the top to race clear and hammer into the top corner.Three minutes after the break another ball over the home defence found Hoy again who thumped a superb shot on the half volley past Burke to make it four one. Redcastle substitute Cathal Crumlish then had a shot blocked by Burke. The point kept battling and John McCloskey had an effort come off the crossbar to Josh Boyle whose shot was turned around the post by McCole. At the other end a Sean Curran free was tipped round the post by the back pedalling Burke. The point had the final chances after a David Healy free was just over and Fionnbar Harley raced onto a ball over the top but fired wide.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two   

Carn Res 4

Rasheney FC 3

In the first home game of the season Carndonagh Reserves didn’t take long to get going. Denim McLaughlin played a fantastic diagonal ball to Kyran Cantwell who put it on a plate for Matthew Lafferty, and he made no mistake and gave Carn the lead on the seventh minute. It took some time for Rahsenny to find their feet, but on the twentieth minute Rashenny’s David McLaughlin beat his man and crossed the ball into Cormac Dillon who expertly finished into the top corner. Rashenny kept the pressure on Carn and won a free kick. Carn keeper, Danny Diver misjudged and Cormac Dillon had a tap in for his second goal of the game. Rashenny were in full flow now and after a defensive error David McLaughlin made it three one. Carndonagh Reserves needed a response and that’s exactly what they got when Kyran Cantwell got one back for the home team. Matthew Lafferty, who had been giving the Rashenny defense some problems, won a penalty which Denim McLaughlin converted to leave the  half time score at three each. Carndonagh Reserves dominated the second half. Substitute, Conor McLaughlin, making his competitive debut, scored the winner for Carn with a lovely finish into the bottom right corner. 

Carrowmena FC 6

Rasheney  RES 0

The home side got off to a dream start when they broke the deadlock on 4 minutes after a flowing move ended with Ryan McDermott sending Ronan Doherty through to round Roger McGilloway and slot home. Gerard McLaughlin then shot wide from a good position before Doherty was unlucky to see an effort crash off the base of the post. Rasheney responded and after a Joey Holland free found Jack McLaughlin he miscontrolled and the chance was lost. Holland then found space in the area and his low  effort was well saved by Michael Noone in the home goal.Carrowmena doubled their lead on the stroke of half time after a first time Puaric Gillen pass sent Doherty racing clear to fire a rising effort past McGilloway to the net. As in the first half Carrowmena got off to a flyer and increased their lead when Ronan Doherty completed his  hat trick after he wriggled past a few players inside a crowded area to drill home. Rasheney battled well throughout and when a McLaughlin cross found Tiernan Devine his goalbound header was cleared by the home defence. Carrowmena increased their lead on the hour mark after substitute Joshua Gillen found Ronan Doherty who swivelled and fired home for his fourth of the game. It then became five nil when Kevin McLaughlin crossed for Ryan McDermott to slot home from eight yards. They completed the scoring after a long ball from McLaughlin found Eugene Doherty who turned well and fired home. McGilloway then brilliantly tipped over a Michael Henry effort late on.

Sea Rovers 2

Aileach Youths 2

It only took 5 minutes before Aileach opened the scoring with a fine pass from David Walker found Aaron Doherty who made no mistake in hitting the roof of the net.After that the game remained mostly even with both teams holding possession but very few chances coming to either side. On 20 minutes Rovers won a free kick 30 yards out with Connor Mc Geoghan stepping up and well struck ball lobbed over the keeper to level the scoring.Rovers remained the strongest of the two teams with  Declan McGonagle having a shot just wide.In the 40th minute Rovers won a free kick just inside the Aileach half and  Damien Ward took his chances with a shot on target, great goal to put his side in the lead.On the restart
Aileachs Dillon McGrory was first to have a chance on target and forced Rovers keeper Mark Mc Laughlin into making one of a number of fine saves throughout the game. Rovers forward Andrew Gallagher then set up Anthony Cantwell only to see his shot go wide. On the hour mark Aileach got a free kick just outside the box Daidibh Grant took it, the ball deflected of the Rovers wall leaving the keeper no chance to make it two all. Game was even enough but with a late charge from Aileach they seen chances from Shea Cuffe and Kevin Wallace squandered, Rovers held on for the share of the points.

Moville Res 0

Buncrana Res 4

The visitors opened the scoring on 11 minutes with a superb lob by Hugh McGonagle over Evan Hunder from the edge of the area. Moville replied and went close after a Conor Gormley effort was well saved by Oran McBride in the visitors goal. But Buncrana doubled their lead midway through the half when Stephen McHugh collected the ball twenty yards out and unleashed a superb effort to the top corner. McHugh then added another with a tap in after the home defence failed to clear on 37minutes. Moville started the second half well and both Michael McCarron and Conor Farren were off target with efforts from inside the area. The play swung to the other end where Michael Doherty  fired in an effort which crashed off the bar.Moville tried to get back into it and John Harkin saw a close range effort brilliantly saved by McBride before McCarron shot over from sixteen yards. Buncrana completed the scoring on 88 minutes when great play by Michael Doherty saw him release Adam Doherty to slot low past Hunder from ten yards.

Culdaff Res 1

Illies Res 2

In good conditions at Caratra Park the visitors had the first chance when a Shane Devlin effort from the edge of the area was well gathered by Zach Conlon in the home goal. Culdaff replied and Oisin McLaughlin unleashed an angled effort but hit the side netting. Midway through the half Illies Dominic Doherty had a twenty five yards free kick gathered at the second attempt by Conlon. Before the break Culdaff had another effort with  Noel McLaughlins free saved by Graham Doherty. There was an explosive start to the second period when the home side took the lead on 48 minutes after a Dean Doherty cross found Noel McLaughlin to slot home. But Illies equalised immediately when Shane Devlin pounced on a loose ball to round keeper Conlon and slot home. The visitors took the lead then on 73 minutes when an inswinging Martin Coyle corner found Paul Devlin to head home from close range. Culdaff pressed hard in the closing stages but the closest thy came was when the ball broke inside a crowded area to Oisin McLaughlin but he blazed over.

Clonmany Youths 4

Dunree Res 4

After an even opening this game exploded into action midway through the half when Michael Devlin fired the home side ahead with a fine twenty five yards strike past  Philip Doherty. Aaron Porter then had a good effort well saved by Doherty before the visitors equalised. Good work by Tommy Doherty picked out Neil Moran who drilled a low shot from ten yards past Cillian McCarron. Clonmany regained the lead on 44 minutes after Thomas Comiskey crossed for Devlin to sweep the ball home from ten yards. But on the stroke of half time Dunree levelled again after Shaun Doherty evaded a couple of half hearted challenges and fired past McCarron. Within minutes of the restart Dunree went ahead with a cracking shot from Ryan O Donnell to the top corner from the right hand side of the area. Clonmany responded and John McCarron saw an effort saved at full stretch by Doherty before substitute Pearse McCarron drove home a Tiernan McDonald cross to make it three all. Again Dunree hit back and regained the lead when the unchallenged Neil Moran finished well from close range. Clonmany pressed and on 88 minutes Philip Doherty palmed away a corner to Karol Harkin but he fired wide when well placed. In the last minute Clonmany salvaged a point after Pearse McCarrons effort came off the post for McDonald to tap in the rebound .