Match Reports Sunday 5th November

Inishowen Football League Reports  5th November 

FAI Junior Cup

Kilmacrennan Celtic 0

Cockhill Celtic 4

A blistering opening quarter of an hour saw Cockhill advance to the open draw stages of the FAI Junior Cup  in Letterkenny on Saturday evening.

The visitors dominated from the start and went ahead in the second minute when Peter Doherty headed home from close range after a Corey McBride corner wasn’t cleared by the home defence. They doubled their lead after a right wing cross from McBride was unfortunately sliced into his own net by a home defender. The whirlwind start continued minutes later when Garbhan Friel swept a Lee McColgan cross to the  roof of the net from ten yards  to put the visitors in total control of the tie. Kilmacrennan tightened things up after this and a combination of last ditch defending and wasted opportunities meant the score remained the same until the closing minutes of the game. Friel got his second of the game heading home from an Adam McLaughlin corner to complete the scoring.


Greencastle FC 0

Buncrana Hearts 5

Switched to Castle Park the hearts had the first chance after Aaron McDaid unleashed an effort from the edge of the area which William O Carroll saved well. Greencastle responded and both Nigel McMonagle and Nathan Harkin drew good saves from Taylor Clarke in the hearts goal.  Buncrana opened the scoring on 14 minutes after a deep Kieran McDaid free was headed across by Sean McDermott for Shaunie Bradley to head home from four yards. In  a replica move minutes later McDaids deep free came off an attacker and off the post for Bradley to slot home from point blank range.  Greencastle tried to respond and Brennan Moore saw a header from a corner saved by Clarke. Buncrana had the final chance of the half after  Matthew brown evaded a couple of challenges and cut in before seeing his shot parried by O’Carroll to Eoin Murphy who blazed over from twelve yards. Greencastle started the second half well with a Sean Doherty free just over and Taylor Clarke tipping a dipping Gavin Harkin cross over the bar. But Buncrana showed no let up on the restart and McDermott headed in the third unmarked from a Kieran McDaud free . Kieran Mc Daid then scored a sublime individual goal collecting a superb crossfield pass from Aaron McDaid  then evading his marker on the right cutting in past another defender and shooting  left footed past O’Carroll. Greencastle kept plugging away and McMonagle was denied by a superb finger tip save – from the corner he had a half volley tipped round the post and from that corner Moore had a shot saved by Clarke. Buncrana  completed the scoring after Jamie McDaid broke on the left and crossed for Kian McGarvey to control with his first touch and slot home with his second as they advance to the open draw stages.



Aileach FC 0

Letterkenny Rovers 1

In good conditions at Lakeside  and inside 2 minutes Aileach had a glorious chance to take an early lead when Aaron Nash beat the offside trap and raced clear but his effort from 15 yards was blocked by Mark Mc Ginley in the Letterkenny goal. Letterkenny responded and Lee McMonagle headed goalward from a right wing cross but his effort just cleared Dylan Porters crossbar. After 37 minutes Aileach worked the ball well down the right hand side and Ryan Doherty squared the ball for the advancing Thomas McMonagle who fired a 25 yard effort which just cleared the crossbar of McGinley’s goal. The away side grabbed the lead on 43 minutes after a long throw in from Jack Gorman was headed powerfully to the net by the inrushing Nathan Plumb. 

The second half followed a similar pattern to the first with the home side keeping a solid shape and putting it up to their opponents to break them down. Set pieces were Letterkenny’s main threat and coupled with Gorman’s long throw ins, there was always danger to the home goal. On 64 minutes following one such long throw, Aileach managed to partially clear but the ball fell to Lee McMonagle but the centre forward rushed his effort which flew wide from 18 yards. Aileach changed shape at this stage in an attempt to find an equaliser but try as they might they failed to overly trouble McGinley and Letterkenny held out for a narrow victory. 


Jackie Crossan Premier Division 

Carn FC 1

Illies Celtic 3

Illies dominated the opening stages of this game and duly took  the lead in the 15th minute when Michael Owen Doherty poked home after a scramble in the area following a corner. Carn responded with Cade Cooke firing wide and Cian Burke failing to control at the back post when well placed. Illies increased their lead before the interval when Deaglan Bowen hooked home at the ear post from a corner. Five minutes after the restart the visitors made it three nil when Sean McCallion evaded a challenge on the left advanced to the byeline and cut the ball across for Patrick Curran to slot home. The home side did respond and reduced the deficit on the hour mark when Girt Dzerins and Burke combined to set up Conor McLaughlin whose snapshot was turned home at the back post by Lorcan Bradley. Carn continued to press  and a Kyran Cantwell piledriver from the edge of the area was brilliantly tipped onto the bar by Johnathan Noone. Despie enjoying lot of possession the home side failed to trouble Noone again and Illies saw the game out.


Moville Celtic 0

Glengad United 5

Moville struggles continued although they had an early effort when a Norbert Indyka effort was saved by Zach Conlon. Glengad responded quickly and opened the scoring on 6 minutes when Joe Doherty broke on the right and cut the ball back for Terence Doherty to shoot low past Stephen Teles from fifteen yards. Five minutes alter Joe Doherty on the left this time crossed to the back post for Fergal Doherty to fire first time to the far corner and double their lead. Moville then had a chance with Michael McCarron breaking and his cross eluded both Conor Farren and Andrew McCarron. Glengad kept up the pressure and John G McLaughlin sent Teles the wrong way from the penalty spot after Terence Doherty had been upended. Good work then by Fergal Doherty saw him pull the back  for Terence Doherty to fire to the top corner  from fifteen yards. Teles then made a good save to deny Christy  McLaughlin before the break. Glengad had the first chance after the break when Joe Doherty broke clear of the home defence but was denied by Teles.  Moville did exert pressure on the Glengad defence  but failed to create clear chances with a Ryan McColgan effort  flying over the bar from inside the area the best of those. Glengad completed the scoring on 85 minutes when  Joe Doherty despatched a superb twenty five yards free kick to the bottom corner.

Strand Hotel First Division


Redcastle United 3

This top of the table clash saw the league leaders clinch the points and remain unbeaten. Redastle opened the scoring on 7 minutes with Stephen Grant crossing for Jack McConalogue to slot past Conor O’Neill from six yards. But the home side equalised with Seamus McFadden collecting possession and unleashing a twenty yards effort which beat Michael McCole in the visitors goal. But the visitors regained the lead before the break when an Eamon Donnelly  cross deceived O Neill and landed in the net. The second half was a close hard fought affair with few chances at either end. The point were pushing hard to get an equaliser but Redcastle broke in the 81st minute with Eoghan McLaughlin crossing for Alan Clarke to finish well at the back post and seal the points.


Culdaff FC 5

Cockhill Youths 1

The home  side got off to a dream start when Brendan McLaughlin despatched a twenty five yards free over the wall and into the  bottom corner giving Darragh O Donnell  no chance. Cockhill responded well and a searching Dylan McDaid cross found Ronan McLaughlin whose effort was blocked by Sean O Neill at the expense of a corner. Sustained Cockhill pressure then saw a Liam Bradley cross volleyed wide from twelve yards by Darragh McDermott. Culdaff responded and made it two nil when great strength by McLaughlin inside the area took him to the byeline and his cross was brilliantly volleyed to the roof of the net by Jack O Brien from twelve yards. At the other end a long free from Ronan McLaughlin was headed over under pressure by McDermott. Culdaff at the other end were clinical in their finishing and Keelan Doherty headed home a third goal from McLaughlins deep corner. On 37 minutes a deflected effort from O’Brien fell fortuitously for Doherty who bravely headed over the advancing O’Donnell to give Culdaff a commanding four nil interval  lead. Five minutes into the second period Michael Coyle was upended in the area and when  Keelan Dohertys spot kick crashed off the bar Brendan McLaughlin reacted first to head to the net.  Doherty then found Euan McFeely who fired narrowly over from twenty yards.  Cockhill got a penalty of their own on 55 minutes after home keeper Patrick McLaughlin misjudged a through ball and Darragh McDermott fired to the top corner. They went close again minutes later with a Dylan McDaid volley just past the post. The sting went out of the game after this and the home side were dealt a blow when O’Neill was red carded for a deliberate handball late on.


Dunree United 0

Carn Res 2

The game started at a high tempo with Carn pressing high making it difficult for the home defence. Dunree had the first chance on 23 minutes with a Liam Baldrick free kick  from twenty five yards going just over the bar.The visitors  broke the deadlock in the 37th minute after a corner was cleared to the edge of the area where Conan Gibbons rifled a shot through a crowd of players to the bottom corner. They increased their lead on the stroke of half time after  Mark Scott played a neat one two with Gibbons inside the area before slotting low to the corner from eight yards. The second half was a close hard fought affair with defences on top and slot of the play in the midfield area.Dunree pressed high this time and when Gerry Farrell gained possession he fired straight at Daire Tully when well placed.  Tully was at his best again on 78 minutes saving a point blank header from Adam Barrett.  Dunree alos had the final chance of the game with a snap shot from Sean McColgan going just wide. 


Buncrana Res 3

Greencastle Youths 3

The  home side will see this as two points lost  as they led by three goals to nil with less than half an hour remaining. Credit to the visitors who never gave  up and battled to the end. Buncrana took the lead midway through the first half when Bart Wesolowski fed Eoin McNamee who turned a defender and fired to the bottom corner from the edge of the box. The home side doubled the lead on 35 minutes when Jerry Gill capatilised on a mistake from a corner and finished from six yards. Buncrana added a third after   Liam Duncan’s cross from 25 yards looped over the Greencastle keeper to the top corner.  The away side got back in the game when a cross from the right found Christy Hegarty at the back post to head home. Greencastle added another when Evan Davenport ran onto a long ball and from 12 yards smashed the ball home  to make it three two. With the last kick of the game Christy Hegarty squared the ball for Evan Davenport to salvage a point for the visitors.

Clonmany Res 1

Rashenny FC 3

This local derby saw the visitors open the scoring on 8 minutes when a through ball from Anthony Doherty released Gareth McKeever to shoot low past Killian McCarron from the edge of the area. Clonmany responded well with two efforts from Tiernan McDonald just off  target before they got back on terms on 17 minutes.A mazy Aaron Porter run ended with his cross deflecting off a defender past Gavin McLaughlin. McLaughlin then done well to tip a Brendan Doherty effort over the bar. The visitors weathered the storm and McKeever was denied by a last ditch tackle from DJ McGeoghaghan. On the half hour Doherty again released Mckeever who fired low across McCarron to the  bottom corner to restore Rashenny s lead.Both sides had  chances before the break with Porter denied by another good save from McLaughlin and McKeever evading two tackles but shooting narrowly wide. On the restart  both David McLaughlin and Cormac Dillon spurned good chances  for the visitors. At the other end Jake O Donnell shot wide when well paved before a Dylan McEleney header was well saved by McLaughlin. In the 72nd minute Rashenny struck for the crucial third goal with McKeever heading home from a corner to complete his hat trick. Clonmany had the final chance with a Mark Doherty twenty five yards effort well held by Mclaughlin. Pictured is Gareth Mc Keever with a hat trick for Rashenney

Clonmany Reserves


Inish Grass  Division Two Shield 

Illies Res 1

Cockhill Colts 3

This local  derby saw the visitors get the better start and they opened the scoring on 12 minutes after a  Gavin Doherty free kick deceived Conor Doherty in the home goal. Midway through the half Joe Doherty hammered a Mark Gillespie cross to the roof of the net to double the lead. Illies spurned a good chance before the break when Shane Devlin laid the ball off to Stephen McGonagle  who failed to hit the target when well placed. Illies got back in the game on 58minutes after good work from Rory Green fund Michael Grant who crossed for Devlin to fire to the roof of the net from twelve yards. The visitors were then awarded a hotly disputed penalty kick and Joe Doherty converted to put Cockhill three one ahead. But Illies spurned two late chances with Oran Doherty clear of the visitors defence and denied by Graham Doherty on both occasions.

Aileach  Youth 5

Dunree Res 0

Aileach started the brighter and took the lead on 10 minutes when Matthew McDermott advanced from midfield and fired into the bottom left corner of the net from twenty five yards past Philip Doherty in the Dunree goal.  Aileach remained on top and doubled their advantage on 20 minutes when McDermott latched onto a Charlie Campbell pass and fired across Doherty and into the far corner. Ciaran Bradley added Aileach’s third on the half hour when Cormac Ferguson won the ball high up the pitch and found Matthew McDermott who slipped the ball into Bradleys path and he shot low into the bottom right corner of the goal. Aileach got a fourth on the brink of half time when Andrew Walker fired in a dangerous cross which was diverted into his own goal by an unfortunate defender who was under immense pressure from Campbell at the near post.  Dunree found their feet a little before the break and Paul Jackson fired narrowly wide past Dylan Clarkes goal just before the break. The second half followed the pattern of the first with Aileach in control and came close to stretching their lead on 55 minutes when Bradley shot across goal but Doherty made a wonderful save to divert his shot past the post.  Campbell got the goal he deserved on 65 minutes when he collected a pass from Kevin Boyle and outpaced the Dunree defence from 40 yards before slotting under Doherty to make it five nil.  The game became more scrappy after this with both sides making a lot of substitutions. On 80 minutes, Dunree came close when  Mervin McGovern ran onto a clearance and fired just past the post of the Aileach substitute keeper Joshua Doherty.  Aileach passed up a great chance for a sixth in the final minute when Kevin Boyle raced down the left and crossed for Aaron Doherty who miskicked with the goal at his mercy.

Moville Res 0

Gleneely Colts 6

The visitors dominated this game and opened the scoring in the 11th minute after the home side gave away possession allowing Billy McCann to collect and fire to the top corner from the edge of the area. Minutes later McCann raced onto a ball in behind the home defence and curled an excellent effort into the far corner. Good interplay then by the visitors saw a cross whipped to the back post where Emmet O’Brien was on hand to head home. Moville started the second half better and created a  few chances the best of which fell to Marcus Rule who ran onto a through ball but blazed wide. But the Colts upped the tempo and Ryan Coyle made a couple of good saves. On 74 minutes the home side failed to clear a corner and Corey O Brien fired home. Two late goals from Matthew Doherty who pounded after Coyle had made a good save and Paul Gamble with a neat finish completed the scoring.


Sea Rovers 3

Cockhill Res 1

This game started at a very fast pace and a long ball by Rovers Liam Gallagher found Conor Mc Closkey who was taken down in the box, Andrew Gallagher took the penalty to give Rovers the early lead .  Rovers maintained good possession and came close with chances from Andrew Gallagher and Connor Mc Closkey just off target. Midway through the half Cockhill broke and a good shot by Christopher Doyle forced Rovers keeper Mark Mc Laughlin into a fine save. Rovers increased their lead before the interval  after a corner delivered  by  Daniel Gallagher was well headed by Connor Kelly to  the roof of the net. Rovers pressed from the whistle and were rewarded when a pass from Andrew Gallagher set Conor Mc Closkey up who scored from close range to make it  three nil. Cockhill settled into the game and some good passing through to Joe Lavery put his team on the scoresheet  finishing well from six yards. Both defences were on top of there game with little  chances coming and the best effort came from Rovers John Doherty who’s last minute effort came of the bar. 


Glengad Res 6

Rashenny ROVERS 0

The home side had an early chance when a Paul McGonagle corner crashed back off the post before being cleared. They opened the scoring on 19 minutes when McGonagles cross was cleared to the edge of the area where PJ McDaid fired low past Roger McGilloway. Rovers responded and Niall Devlin was off target with a long range effort. Glengad had the final chance of the half after Caolan McColgan broke and crossed for McDaid whose attempted chip drifted wide. Glengad dominated the second half and increased the lead in the 55th minute after Thomas Ramsey headed a McGonagle corner to the roof of the net from ten yards. Minutes  later McColgan despatched a fine effort  from twenty five yards to the  bottom corner before McDaid got his second after good work by Niall McColgan had set him up. McDaid then completed his hat trick after controlling a long Oran Raymond clearance turning and drilling low to the corner. The home side completed the scoring on 78 minutes after McGonagle  poked the ball home in a goal mouth scramble. 

Redcastle Res 1

Carrowmena FC 3

Carrowmena started well and a Cathal Crumlish shot from 20 yards was brilliantly saved by Paul Doherty in the Redcastle goals. They went close again when a pass from Gerard McLaughlin sent Ronan Doherty through on goals but Paul Doherty came to Redcastles rescue again with a great save at the strikers feet. Carrowmena went ahead after half an hour when a pass from  Gerard McLaughlin sent Cathal Crumlish through and he scored low into the corner from ten yards. Redcastle equalised on the stroke of half-time when a cross from Oisin Sweeney was headed into the net by Darren Harkin.The second half turned into a midfield battle with chances few and far between. After 70 minutes Redcastle went close when a cross from Oisin Davenport was headed just wide by Darren Harkin. They went close again in the 75th minute when a shot from Oisin Davenport was well saved by Mickey Noone low down to his right. Carrowmena regained the lead  in the 80th minute when Ronan Doherty beat two Redcastle defenders before finding the bottom corner from  twelve  yards. Redcastle pushed hard for an equaliser but were caught on the break in injury time when Brian Houghton ran from the half way line and hammered the ball high into the net from twenty yards.

Culdaff Res 3

Rashenny RES 1

Culdaff progressed to the next round of the shield on Saturday night after a Noel McLaughlin inspired win. In the second minute McLaughlin delivered a corner to the front post, the ball was headed back to him by Aidan Hirrell. McLaughlin turned inside and curled the ball past Sam Coyle from  the edge of the area. Fifteen  minutes later McLaughlin broke through the centre circle before playing a one-two with Matthew McGoldrick – and finally putting the ball past Coyle from fifteen  yards to send the home team in two nil ahead at the interval. Rashenny gave all they had early in the second half  with  a chance coming from Callum Crumlish but Oran Douglas denied him from close range. Culdaff made it three on the 70th minute  when Billy Hume broke down the right, delivering a teasing ball to the back post where  Jack Curley was on hand to slot home from close range. Rasheeny got a consolation with minutes  to go after Caylum Long delivered a delightful ball for player/manager OJ Cuffe  to finish well but it is the home side who advanced to the quarter finals.