Match Reports Sunday 5th March

Inishowen Football League Fixtures  2022-23

Sunday 5th March     

FAI Junior  Cup  Quarter Final

Buncrana Hearts 0

St Michaels (Tipperary) 1

As expected this was a close hard fought affair before a big crowd at Castle Park between two evenly matched sides.

The visitors threatened first on 9 minutes after  Quirkes dangerous cross was brilliantly headed clear by Paul McDermott. Buncrana responded in the 20th minute after great work by Kieran McDaid on the right saw his cross find Jamie McDaid who headed just over the bar. Midway through the half Michaels dangerman James Carr advanced on the left and his cross was poked just wide by Barbury. Buncrana s best chancr of the half came on 32 minutes when Sean Mullan raced onto a Calvin Gallagher through ball but saw his effort turned around the post by Walsh. On the stroke of half time Carrs deflected cross was brilliantly saved by Rory Kelly in the Hearts goal with James Adair completing the clearance.  The visitors had the first chance of the second half when the impressive Quirke beat a couple of defenders but his effort was superbly saved by Kelly. Almost immediately at the other end a Mullan effort was parried by Walsh to Christopher McKinley  but he failed to get an effort on target. The key moment arrived in the 54th minute when a controversial penalty was awarded for a handball and the experienced Junior and Amateur international James Carr kept his composure to fire to Kellys left hand corner. Kelly then made a stunning save to deny Quirke on the hour mark  which signalled the home sides best period of the game. On 67 minutes Adam Curran fed Mullan who g beat his man but saw his effort crash back off the post. Then a Kieran McDaid corner came off the crossbar to Mullan who somehow blazed over from point blank range. The final chance came on 87 minutes when Mullan headed an Eoin Murphy cross just over with St Michaels glad to hear the final whistle and advance. 

For Gary Duffy and Buncrana its been a superb run in this prestigious competition and they return  to domestic action  still in the running for five trophies.


Jackie Crossan Premier Division 

Greencastle  FC 2

Glengad United 3

In an explosive opening to this game at Chapel Lane Gavin Harkins low cross in the opening minute found Nigel McMonagle  whose left footed effort crashed off the post. Within a minute at the other end Ryan McLaughlin broke clear of the home defence but blazed over the bar from twelve yards. Glengad had another clear sight of goal in the 8th minute but Terence Doherty was denied by a fine save from Conor Browne in the home goal. Greencastle responded and a flowing move involving Michael Henry and McMonagle ended with Brenan Moore shooting over. The visitors broke the deadlock on 18 minutes  when John G McDermott picked out Stephen McLaughlin who controlled and fired a superb finish to the top corner from ten yards. The home side then  had a twenty five yards half volley from Seamus McLaughlin go narrowly over.  But Glengad were always dangerous and had two good chances when firstly Terence Doherty raced clear but dragged his effort wide while Seamus Doherty then cut inside a defender on the left but fired into the side netting. Greencastle ended the half strongly with Nathan Harkin and Moore off target before Ciaran Diver saw an effort from distance gathered by Ciaran Gallagher.  Greencaslr started the second half well with Moore firing a free over before Gallagher saved a Nathan Harkin free. Glengad though added a second goal on 52 minutes after Ryan McLaughlin raced onto a ball over the top and drilled low to the corner past Browne.  The home side got a goal back on the hour when  Harkin fed Moore inside the area and he controlled before firing low to the bottom corner. Glengad rallied with Terence Doherty seeing an effort turned round the post before  John G McLaughlin shot over the bar from distance. They added a third goal on 71 minutes when Terence Doherty won possession on the edge of the area and unleashed a powerful effort into the bottom corner. But Greencastle again reduced the deficit to the minimum when Michael Henry found McMonagle to poke the ball past Gallagher from eight yards. Gallagher then kept Glengad ahead when he advanced to save at the feet of Harkin . Glengad had the final chance after Terence Doherty raced clear beating the offside trap but Browne was equal to the task.


Culdaff FC 1

Aileach FC 4

In dry cool conditions at Caratra Park on Saturday night Culdaffs relegation to the first division was confirmed with this defeat. They began well and took the lead when Aiden Cunningham curled a free kick around the wall and inside Matthew Gallaghers post.Aileach replied and when Dermot Doherty crossed from the left Darren Bradley collected possession rounded his marker but drilled wide. Culdaff created another very good chance when a Keith Norris cross was controlled by Cunningham whose driven low shot was deflected for a corner by the outstretched leg of Gallagher. From the corner Ryan Greene rose highest to head into the side netting. Aileach upped the tempo and Bradley just failed to connect with a Darren McMonagle cross  while Dermot Callaghan in the home goals produced a fine save to deny Dermot Doherty. Aileach equalised two minutes into the second half  after McMonagles cross was flicked home at the near post by Gavin Doherty. Eight minutes later they took the lead when McMonagles cross cum shot looped over the stranded Callaghan. Culdaff tried to hit back and after Jack O Brien released Darragh McCormick on the left his cross found Greene whose header was well saved by Gallagher. When the home defence only partially cleared a corner to the edge of the area Jason Dornan hammered the ball through a crowd of players past the unsighted Callaghan. Caoimhin McFeely then completed the scoring adding a fourth goal in the closing stages to seal the home sides fate.

Strand Hotel  Division One  

Carn clinch league title and promotion in style 


Carn FC 4

League Chairman Laurence Mc Colgan Presenting Lorcan Bradley with the First Division Shield

Needing a win to clinch the league title and promotion back to the premier division Gerard Crossans side started  well with Brandon Browne firing  a twenty yards effort narrowly over the bar. They broke the deadlock in the 15th minute when Lorfcan Bradley capitalised on hesitancy in the home defence to drill low past Conor O Neill from fifteen yards. Four minutes later it became two nil when Bradley turned provider for Cian Burke to score with a composed low finish past O Neill. The home side came more into the game before the break and Lee Rutherford  shot just wide from the edge of the area. A Ross Nicholas corner in the 37th minute then fell to Aaron Scott but from a tight angle he fired into the side netting. The home side had the first chance after the break when a David Healy effort from distance was cleared by a defender.  Carn responded and ended any hopes of a comeback when they scored their third on 52 minutes.  Gert Dzerins unleashed an effort which was well blocked by substitute  keeper Oisin Burke but the ball fell to Brandon Browne to fire to the roof of the net. Both Borwne and Cade Cooke were then denied by good saves from Burke before Cooke fired wide when well placed. The visitors added number four  then with  Burke pouncing  on a defensive error to slot home from ten yards for his second of the game. The home side were denied a consolation then when an Oisin McIntyre effort was  brilliantly saved  low to his left by Kyle Harkin. Not to be outdone Burke at the other end made an equally good save to deny Cooke as the visitors clinched the league title and promotion back to the premier division next season.

Redcastle United 2

Aileach Res 2

In an entertaining game the home side started well with Marc Bell crossing from Cathal Crumlish  who fired just past the post on 12 minutes. A couple of minutes later a Shaun Curran corner found Crumlish whose header was well saved by David McGeady. Aileach responded and when a free kick broke to Anthony Doherty he fired wide of Michael McColes left hand post. Doherty then had a great chance when he raced onto a Michael McElroy  through ball but fired over the bar. Redcastle hit back with Currans cross finding Darragh McConeay whose looping header was brilliantly saved by McGeady. Gavin Grant then had a couple of efforts for the home side but both were  off target. Aileach went close then in the 36th minute when a Conor Bradley cross found David Campbell but his header was superbly tipped onto the bar by McCole. The visitors broke the deadlock three minutes into the second period when Stephen Doherty collected possession in midfield and threaded the ball through for Anthony Doherty to fire to the top corner from sixteen yards. Redcastle responded well and both Bell and Mark Farren went close with efforts. They equalised in the 78th minute after Currans cross found Bell who laid the ball of for Crumlish  to slot past McGeady. Minutes later they went ahead after a Curran cross from the left found McConway to sidefoot past McGeady. But from the kick off the visitors snatched a point when Sean McHugh advanced from midfield and slipped the ball into Campbell to fire past McCole.

Clonmany Res 2

Gleneely Colts 0

In the early exchanges  Jamie Coyle headed over for the home side while at the other end a Paul Gamble effort  was saved by Tiernan Devine in the home goal.  On 20 minutes Cory O Brien for the Colts saw a point blank range header saved by Devine. Clonmany got on top then until the break with Liam Hirrells effort saved by Rhys Kerr, Coyle poking wide from a Logan McDaid cross and Jake O Donnell racing through but denied by the advancing Kerr. Gleneely upped the tempo at the start of the second period and were well on top in the opening twenty minutes. Gamble pulled an effort wide when set up by Oran Raymond who then had an effort saved by Devine. On 64 minutes a Manu Doherty cross was headed narrowly wide by Shay Harkin. Against the run  of play the home side opened the scoring on 68 minutes when  a Jake O Donnell corner was cleared back to him and his cross saw Hirrell stoop to head home from seven yards at the near post. The visitors then spurned a great chance to level matters when Manus Doherty s cross  found Harkin who blazed over from close range. Clonmany sealed the points when Devines long ball was flicked on by Logan McDaid to his father Raymond who poked  past the advancing Kerr. Clonmany had the final chance as well with a Philip Devlin effort from distance tipped around the post by Kerr.

Greencastle Youths 3

Dunree United 1

The game was played down at the Warren in Carrowmena and it was Greencastle who started on the front foot pressing forward. They had an early chance when a Kyle Harkin free kick 25 yards was saved by Adam Harrigan in goals for Dunree.Dunree had their own chance from a free kick but Ryan Toland had an effort from the edge of the box which went narrowly over.

Greencastle took the lead in the 38th minute when a low drilled free kick from Kyle Harkin evaded everyone but deflected off a Dunree defender at the back post and end up in the net. Dunree got off to a bright start in the second half when a ball into the box was well saved by Evan Davenport with two Dunree players bearing down on him. Greencastle then doubled their lead in the 55th minute after a diagonal ball by Tony McClenaghan was flicked on by Ronan Farren and turned into their own net by a Dunree defender. Greencastle went three  up in the 70th minute when good hold up play by Luke Bradley was followed by a great through ball to Christy Hegarty who dinked it over the keeper into the far corner.Dunree got a goal back in the 81st minute when a long ball from a free kick was taken down well by Gerry Farrell who turned a scored a great goal into the corner of the net in what turned out to be a late consolation.


Inish  Engineering  Division Two    A    

Cockhill Res 0

Culdaff Res 0

In a game of few chances neither keeper was forced in to a save of any note in a stale first half. The best chance of the first half fell to Cockhill when Shane McLaughlin headed a Connor McDaid cross just over Dermot Callaghan’s crossbar.Cockhill started the second half with a little more urgency.  Cahir McDaid had an effort well saved by Dermot Callaghan and Donal Og O’Brien was unlucky as he slipped the ball passed the out rushing keeper but it rolled just wide of the post. Culdaff then replied and nearly took the lead when Aiden Cunningham got in behind the Cockhill defence but dragged his effort just wide of Darragh ‘Donnell’s far post. Cockhill almost grabbed a late winner with the best chance of the match. Mason McDaid picked out Liam Bradley who’s header crashed back off the bar and his first time effort on the rebound agonisingly  sailed just over the bar as the game ended goalless.


Rashenny FC 2

Sea Rovers 1

Rashenny dominated the opening half and will wonder how they didn’t manage to be ahead at the break. Cormac Dillon had an early chance latching onto a David McLaughlin through ball but shooting across keeper Mark McLaughlin and just past the far post. They opened the scoring in the 14th minute when a long ball from keeper Gavin McLaughlin was flicked on by Anthony Doherty for  David McLaughlin to round the  Rovers keeper and slot home. But the visitors levelled in their first real threat after Tiernan Stevens turned smartly on the edge of the area and fired a sweet left footed shot to the bottom corner. Rashenny  peppered the rover s goal with David McLaughlin hitting the angle of post and bar, seeing a header tipped over and blazing another shot over the bar after a couple of corners which came about when Peter Doherty saw his goal bond effort deflected over the bar. On the stroke of half time Dillon turned well on the edge of the area but fired straight at McLaughlin. The home side got a dream start to the second half when they regained the lead after a corner from the right was slotted home by Anthony Doherty from ten yards. Rovers were much more competitive in the second period and substitute Ciaran Doherty fired one effort over when well placed before seeing another low shot saved. There were fewer chances in this half and Rashenny had the final one when substitute Abdul Al Rasheed raced clear on the right but was wildly off target.

Carn Res 1

Moville Res 1

Moville started the brightest with sustained possession in the Carn half. Carns defence stood resolute and after 20 minutes they were ahead. An in swinging corner from Dayton Cooke fell to the feet of Daire Tully who poked the ball past the helpless Micheal McCarron in the Moville goal.  Carn looked to add to their lead soon after when Tully became the provider to Cooke but Cookes shot went narrowly over the Moville goal from 15 yards.  Moville grew into the game towards the close of the first half and got their goal when Rowan Doherty got onto the end of a Pearce Doherty pass and finished low into the keepers left. The second half saw both teams search for a winner. Carns Daire Tully came within inches of restoring Carns lead but he sent a shot from a tight angle narrowly wide. Norbert Indyka nearly won it for Moville in the 80th minute  when  he raced through  on Carn keeper Daniel McDaid  but McDaid was quick off his like to ensure the game would finish a draw.


Inish  Engineering  Division Two    B      

Redcastle Res 2

QPS Youths 4

Redcastle went one up after 5 minutes when a through ball from Calliou O Kane put Aidan Lynch through and he scored low into the corner of the net from ten yards. Quigleys Point equalised after 20 minutes when Eunan Mullans cross was hammered into the net from fifteen  yards by Josh McLaughlin. Redcastle regained the lead  on the half hour  after  a cross from James Farren was headed in past his own keeper by the unfortunate defender.  But the visitors t were level again in the  40th  minute with a superb  free kick from Killian McEleney finding  the top corner.  Redcastle were first to threaten on the restart when a pass from James Farren send Calliou OKane through but Stephen Slattery jn the Point goals made a great save down to his right.  The Point then went ahead on the hour mark  when a corner from Killian McEleney was headed into net by Cormac McColgan from six yards. Redcastle were unlucky then when  an effort from Calliou OKane from 25 yards brought another good save from Stephen Slattery. The Point wrapped the game up after 85 minutes when a Thomas McConnellogue cross was tapped home at the far post by Cormac McColgan.


Dunree Res 2

Carrowmena FC 0

There was little to report in this encounter with few chances at either end and defences on top for the most part. Dunree made the breakthrough in the 12th minutes when Davis O Hagan was well placed to pounce on a loose ball and slot low to the corner. The second half followed the same pattern with a lot of the play bogged down in the midfield area. Carrowmena threw everything at the home side  but were caught on the break in the 81st minute when substitute Patrick Doherty latched onto a long ball to run clear and calmly slot past the advancing keeper to clinch the points.


Glengad Res 0

Rasheney Res 2

Glengad started this game well but failed to trouble Roger McGilloway in the visitors goal. Then against the run of play the visitors took the lead after a Kyle Doherty free was parried by Danny McGonigle allowing Ryan O Donnell to slot home from five yards. The visitors then had another chance when Mamuka Osiashvili raced clear but  blazed over the bar.  The home side upped the tempo on the resumption with PJ McDaid feeding Conor McGonagle but he failed to hit the target when well placed. McDaid then beat the offside trap and saw his attempted lob drift past the post before Calvin White was also wide with a snapshot after Jason Mullarkey had picked him out. On 73minutes McGonagle cut in past two defenders but his rising effort cleared the bar. With the home side pushing it was no surprise when the visitors caught them on the break.  In the 80th minute Eoin Fowley converted a penalty after Oshiashvili had been upended shooting low to the keepers right to clinch the poinst.