Match Reports Sunday 5th February

Inishowen Football League Fixtures  2022-23

Sunday 5th February    

Jackie Crossan Premier Division

Glengad United 0

Buncrana Hearts 1

The home side had the advantage of the wind in the opening half and had the majority of the attacking threat.

On 5 minutes Terence Doherty and John G McDermott combined for the former to unleash a shot which Rory Kelly tipped over the bar. Midway through the half Joe Doherty collected a poor defensive clearance  but his effort just cleared the crossbar. Buncrana replied in the 40th minute with Paul McDermott finding Kieran McDaid whose cross was met with a first time strike from Sean Mullan but his effort was brilliantly saved by the legs of Ciaran Gallagher. Glengad had the final chance when a long range effort from Terence Doherty was comfortably held by Kelly. Buncrana created the first opportunity of the second half on 55 minutes when Calvin Gallagher spread the ball out to Aaron McDaid on the right hand side and his shot was well saved by Gallagher. Glengad replied with  John McDaid feeding McDermott but Kelly was equal to his effort.  The home side then had big claims for a penalty waved away before the visitors were reduced to ten men after James Adair was red carded for  an off the ball incident. Despite their numerical disadvantage the visitors struck for the only goal of the game in the 83rd minute. When a Mc Daid free into the areaway parried by  Gallagher substitute Matthew Brown was  on hand to slot the loose ball home from eight yards. Glengad pressed hard but the Buncrana defence stood firm for what could turn out to be a crucial three points in their league title aspirations.

Aileach FC 1

Illies Celtic 1

The first chance of note fell to the home side on 18 minutes  when Darren McMonagle raced clear but his effort was just wide of Johnny Noone’s left hand post. Five minutes later Aaron Nash beat the offside trap but his attempt from an angle was high and wide. As half time approached Caomhin Mc Feeley got on to a loose ball in the box and Noone did well to smother his shot from 12 yards.  Aileach upped the ante in the second half and took the lead in the 51st minuteafter  a Thomas McMonagle free kick was turned across goal by Michael McElroy for Dermot Doherty to finish from close range at the back post. Illies responded well and carved out a decent chance midway through the half  when Brian Doherty pounced on a poor clearance and fired goalwards Matthew Gallagher doing well to parry before Ethan Canning completed the clearance.  Illies equalised in the 72nd minute when an Aileach defender was adjudged to have handled the ball in the box and Adrian Donaghy Doherty made no mistake from the spot. This spurred on the young Illies side and they pushed for a winner but apart from a couple of long range frees Gallagher wasn’t overly troubled. Aileach had a couple of half chances to grab the three points but resolute Illies defending ensured a share of the spoils.


Culdaff FC 0

Greencastle  FC 6

Greencastle were much too strong for the home side and had the first chance on 10 minutes after Nigel McMonagle latched onto a ball over the top but saw his effort well parried by Puaric O Donnell. McMonagle retrieved the loose ball  to feed Michael Henry and his cross was blasted over by Brennan Moore from twelve yards. The visitors opened the scoring on 15 minutes when McMonagle ran onto a ball over the top before drilling low past O’Donnell from the edge of the area. Within minutes Greencastle doubled their lead after Gerry Gills corner was headed home by the unmarked Joshua McConallogue. A brilliant mazy run then from James Henry  took him past a couple of defenders into the area before his reverse pass was volleyed home from five yards by Nathan Harkin. Culdaff almost got a goal back then when Michael Coyle pounced on a misplaced pass but side footed just wide from the edge of the box.  But Greencastle added a fourth on 41 minutes after a diagonal ball from Gill released Michael Henry and his cross was sidefooted home by  McMonagle. Before the break good play from the home side saw Aidan Cunningham and  Coyle combine to release  Michael Doran who advanced and fired narrowly wide from the edge of the area.  On the stroke of half time Greencastle added a fifth when a Michael Henry cross was neatly finished at the front post by Harkin. Culdaff suffered another blow when Dillon Ruddy was red carded after the restart for a late tackle. On 56 minutes McMonagle curled a superb twenty five yards effort which crashed off the post.  Culdaff kept at it and substitute Bryan McCandless broke through and as he attempted to round keeper Brown the visitors defence got back to clear. McMonagle thn completed his hat trick in the 80th minute after a scramble in the home area saw him react smartly to head home from close range and complete the scoring.

Cockhill Youths 0

Moville Celtic 4

Moville Celtic continued their league title challenge with a deserved four nil  victory at Cockhill. They took the lead on 16 minutes after Ryan McColgan rose highest to head home a Jake Morrow corner. They increased their lead on 29 minutes with a superb solo effort from Ryan Morrow before a Morrow run and cross found no takers at the back post. Moville made it three nil after a defence splitting Lee McColgan pass snet Michael McNaught clear in the left channel and he cooly finished past Eoin Colhoun . Cockhill tried to respond and Darragh McDermott fired a free kick into the side netting. But before the break Bradley Callaghan almost got on the end of a Jake Morrow cross. Cockhill had the first attempt of the second half when a  Ryan McDaid shot from edge of the box well held by Taylor Clarke. At the other end  McNaught reacts first to a bouncing ball in the box to  volley across the keeper to the far corner. Cockhill kept battling and  after  Paul Duffy cut in from left his shot deflected but Clarke gathered before Eoin Deery can apply the finishing touch. At the other end  McNaught  was denied by substitute keeper  Sean Parker save after being  played in by Morrow. The final chance came for the home side when a  searching ball from the left volleyed across goal by Rian Gallagher evaded onrushing forwards.

Strand Hotel  Division One   

Dunree  United 0

Clonmany Res 1

Dunree spurned the chance to exert some pressure on the league leaders when they lost one nil to Clonmany in a tight affair with few clear cut chances. The first chance fell to the home side midway  through the half when Bernie Doherty flicked the ball over the visitors defence for Adam Barrett whose attempted lob was clawed away by Kieran Friel. Clonmany werwe always dangerous on the break with a couple of Mark Mclaughlins snapshots from distance failing to trouble Adam Harrigan in the home goal. The second half followed the same pattern but the visitoprs made the breakthrough on 74 minutes when a quick free found Mark McLaughlin who squared for Mark Doherty to finish at the near post. The home side pushed the visitors back in the closing stages but the Clonmany defence stood firm to claim the points.


Aileach Res 5

Gleneely Colts 0

Aileach got off to a dream start when they opened the scoring in the fifth minute after  Sean McHugh set up Darren Bradley to fire low past Oran Raymond from twelve yards. Gleneely responded and had two good chances. Firsrtly Cory O Brien pounced on a defensive slip but saw his effort turned around the post  by Sean McGuinness. Minutes later Conor Hegarty failed to hit the target when well placed inside the area. On the stroke of half time the home side increased their lead after good work by McHugh saw his cross headed home by Stephen O Donnell. As in the first half Aileach scored early  on the resumption when a Keith McColgan free was flicked home by Cathal McElhinney from close range. At the other end Paul Doherty got on the end of a free kick but again McGuinness was equal to his effort. The home side then killed the game off with two late goals. Bradley added his second goal  firing home from the penalty spot after he had been upended. Then a defensive error allowed  O’Donnell to  slot home from ten yards.

Greencastle Youths 2

Redcastle United   2

Redcastle got off to the perfect start in the fifth minute  when a long ball from a free kick slipped through Evan Davenports hands and Eoin McLaughlin was quickest to react and turn it over the line. Davenport made amends a few minutes later when a dangerous attack from Redcastle forced him into a good double save. Redcastle had several good chances through the first half but failed to hit the target in what was a competitive first half. Greencastle had a few  half chances but they had the last good chance of the first half when the ball was worked to Ronan Farren who missed the target from the edge of the box. On 55  minutes  Greencastle drew level when a long ball from Davenport was knocked on by debutante Luke Bradley who knocked it onto Ronan Doherty. Doherty broke down the left and squared it for Christy Hegerty whose strike found the top corner. Five  minutes later Greencastle took the lead from the next attack when they won a penalty. The ever dependable Kyle Harkin placed it into the bottom corner. But Redcastle equalized with twenty minutes to go when a good pass over the defence sent Darragh McConway through on goal and while  Davenport got a hand to it but the ball sneaked into the bottom corner.Both sides pushed and fought hard  but neither could find a winner in what was a tight game at Chapel lane, and sets up an Ulster Shield Semi final between both sides nicely in a fortnight.


Inish  Engineering  Division Two    A    

Illies Res 0

Sea Rovers 5

The home side began this game well but spurned two good chances to take the lead. In the 11th minute Gavin Doherty broke through the rovers defence but fired over from twelve yards. Minutes later an Oran Doherty corner found the unmarked Paul Devlin but his header sailed over the bar.Against the run of play  Rovers broke the deadlock on the half hour  when Andrew Gallagher converted a penalty despite Graham Doherty getting a hand to the ball. They increased their lead minutes later after a Declan McGonagle pinpoint cross was headed home by Gallagher from eight yards. On the stroke of half time an inswinging McGonagle corner kick sailed into the roof of the net to leave Rovers three nil ahead at the break. Illies tried hard to get back into the game and Paddy Doherty and Ronan Hegarty were both denied by good saves from Mark McLaughlin. Rovers then increased their lead when a deep cross from Oisin Hasson was headed home by McGnagle to make it four nil.They completed the scoring when  Hasson pounced after a defensive mix up to slot to the unguarded net.

Carn Res 0

Culdaff Res 0

Carn started the brightest in the game with Conor McLaughlin going close from fifteen yards but his shot went over Dermot Callaghans goal. Culdaff defended well and were dangerous from set pieces. A long ball into the box found the visitors  Peter Doherty whose header was cleared by Dylan Cooke. Both teams went on level at half time with the game in the balance. Carn started the second half with a higher tempo and missed a fantastic chance to take the lead. Conor McLaughlin rushed through one on one versus  Callaghan but the keeper made a smothering save to keep the scores level. McLaughlin went close once more when his shot was parried away by Callaghan. Culdaff then  had a chance to win it right at the death when Conor Doherty won his side a free kick on the edge of the box. Doherty took the free kick but couldn’t beat the wall and the game ended scoreless.


Moville Res 1

Rashenny FC 2

In windy conditions the home side started well  with Andrew McCarron firing over and Pearse Doherty shooting wide when well placed. Their best chance  came Ronan McCarron cut in from the right hand side but saw his effort shave the outside of the post.  Moville opened the scoring on the half hour when Doherty played a one two with Andrew McCarron on the edge of the area before drilling low past Gavin McLaughlin from fifteen yards. Rashenny responded and Tommy Doherty saw an effort just clear the bar before a David McLaughlin cross eluded all on the stroke of half time. With the wind Rashenny started well and Ryan & Peter Doherty were both off target with efforts.They got back on terms in the 58th minute when Ryan Doherty advanced from midfield and hammered an unstoppable thirty yards effort past Stephen Teles to the roof of the net. Teles then kept the home side in it when he twice denied Tommy Doherty in the space of five minutes spreading himself well to block with his legs. But  the visitors took the lead   on 73 minutes after David McLaughlin latched onto Peter Doherty pass before cutting in past two defenders and finishing low to the corner from twelve yards. Moville tried hard to salvage something from the game with Shane Canning releasing Pearse Doherty but he failed to hit the target from inside the area. Moville kept pressing but on the break Rashennys McLaughlin and Doherty failed to hit the target with decent half chances.

Inish  Engineering  Division Two    B     

Rashenny Res 5

Carrowmena FC 2

Playing with the wind the home side got a perfect start on 8 minutes when Bredan Grant for Abdul Al Rasheed to slot home from ten yards. They added a second ten minutes later with a superb strike from the edge of the area from Ryan Donnell  before Grant added a third goal from close range. On the stroke of half time Rasheed made it four nil with a fine solo run past a couple of defenders taking him into the area before slotting to the bottom corner. Against the wind it was the home side who surprisingly increased their lead when in a quick counter attack Kyle Doherty broke clear to drill low past Noone. Carrowmena  did exert pressure on the home side after this and Gerard Gill reduced the deficit scoring direct from a corner on 66 minutes. Ten minutes later Killian Dougal added another converting from close range after the home defence failed to clear. Carrowmnea continued to press in the latter stages but the home side  stood firm.

Redcastle Res 1

Aileach  Youth 2

Aileach started strongly and went one up after 5 minutes when a cross from Ciaran Bradley was slotted to the net from six yards by Kevin Boyle. The same two players combined to put Aileach two up in the fifteenth minute. Kevin Boyles pass putting Ciaran  Bradley through on goals to shoot low into corner from fifteen yards. Redcastle came more into the match after that and a Jason Lynch shot from the edge of the area was well saved by Dylan Clarke. An individual effort by Darren Harkin brought Redcastle back into the game when he beat two men and scored low into the corner from six  yards. Redcastle started the second half brightly when a corner from Mark Farren was headed over the bar by Aidan Lynch. Aileach then came close midway through after  half when a header from Kevin Wallace was brilliantly saved by Oran McCauley in the Redcastle net. Aileach had another chance but  Ciaran Bradley shot over the bar when well placed. Redcastle tried hard to get back into the match their best chance coming after 85 minutes when Caolan Henry’s great pass put Oisin O’Kane through on goals and his shot from twenty yards brought a fine save from Dylan Clarke in the Aileach goals as the visitors held on to claim the points.