Match Reports Sunday 4th September

Inishowen Football League Fixtures 2022-23

Sunday 4th September 

Jackie Crossan Premier Division  

Moville Celtic 10

Culdaff FC 2

In an entertaining first half Moville had an early chance when Aaron McGurk bore down on goal but Zach Conlon saved well.

Culdaff responded and took the lead in the 10th minute when a cross from the left was well finished by Bryan McCandless.  Moville equalised on 21 minutes after Padraig Skelly rose highest to head home a corner. The home side then took the lead minutes later after Jake Morrows cross was slotted home  by Michael McNaught. But within a minute Culdaff got back on terms after Michael Coyle headed home a corner. Moville regained the lead on 35minutes when McNaught curled a superb twenty five yards effort into the top corner giving Conlon no chance. They increased their lead on the stroke of half time with McGurk converting from close range to leave Moville ahead four two at the break. Culdaffs understrength side were no match for the home side in the second half and  Conor Doherty added the fifth when he raced through onto a McNaught pass to lift the ball over Conlon. Furtehr goals from  Jake Morrow (2), Bradley Callaghan, Ryan McColgan and Dean Shields completed an emphatic win.

Illies Celtic 1

Buncrana Hearts 1

Illies got off to a dream start in this local derby when they opened the scoring in the first minute. A superb Paul Doherty pass found Liam Doherty on the left who squared for Sean McCallion to slot low past  Eoghan O Doherty in the Hearts goal. The visitors responded  with pat Loughery denied by a superb save from Johnathan Noone in the Illies goal. At the other end McCallion  cut in from the right hand side and fed Liam Grant but he shot weakly at O’Doherty when well placed. Buncrana got back on terms in the 33rd minute after  Sean Mullan collected a throw in and rounded four defenders on the edge of the area before blasting to the roof of the net. From there until half time Buncrana had most of the possession but failed to create any clear openings.  The Hearts dominated the second period and spurned a number of clear chances. On 53minutes Pat Loughery raced through the home defence rounded Noone and somehow fired wide of a gaping goal. For all there pressure the home side had the clearest chance of the half on 66 minutes after they were awarded a penalty when McCallion was pulled back inside the area. But Paul Dohertys spot kick was well saved by O Doherty. Spurred by this let off Buncrana poured forward and were unlucky when Mullan found Loughery whose first time effort crashed off the bar. In the final minute a mazy Kieran McDaid run into the area saw the ball break to Sean Mullan who fired over the bar with the visitors claiming in vain for a penalty.

Cockhill Youths 1

Glengad United 2

The visitors, Glengad United, claimed the three points in the highly entertaining encounter with Cockhill Celtic Youth at Celtic Park, Cockhill earlier this afternoon. The young hoops side started the brighter of the two sides without creating very much in terms of goal chances. Glengad, with the experienced pairing of John Gerard McLaughlin and Matthew Byrne at the back found it difficult at times and on 8 minutes a loose back pass from McLaughlin almost resulted in an OG but former Finn Harps keeper Ciaran Gallagher just got back in time divert it wide for a corner to the home side. Cockhill opened the scoring on 7 minutes when a delightful delivery from a corner on the right, by Conor Graham, was powered to the net by the unmarked Bobby Bradely from  eight yards out in the middle of the goal giving Gallagher no chance. Graham almost doubled the home sides advantage on 22 minutes but his right-footed free from wide on the left rattled the keepers left hand post and was eventually cleared by Byrne. The visitors levelled matters on 28 minutes when a long ball from defence by Seamus Doherty set Terrance Doherty down the right channel and as he wriggled his was into the box he was allowed to turn and shoot right footed past Eoin Colhoun from a tight angle. Eoin McLaughlin then had a good run for the home side that seen his shot blocked inside the area by McLaughlin. The home side again started brightly in the second period and had a few half chances that failed to trouble keeper Gallagher. Darragh McDermott had an effort wide on 56 minutes from outside the area when he picked up a short pass from Paul Duffy.  Ten minutes later Conor Graham was off target with another shot from just inside the area on the right. Glengad went ahead on 78 minutes when a Seamus Doherty free from the halfway line on the left was not cleared and James McKinney shot past Colhoun from the edge of the area in the middle of the goal after he was afforded too much time to get his shot away. Cockhill pushed hard in the final ten minutes and McDermott almost got them level on 85 minutes, but Gallagher got down well to his left to smother the shot


Aileach FC 3

Greencastle FC 3

With only 5 minutes on the clock Greencastle took the lead when Nigel Mc Monagle found space on the left side of the box and advanced before sliding the ball under Matthew Gallagher in the home goal.  Aileach responded well and within 5 minutes were level when a fine through ball by Denver Kelly found Caoimhghin Mc Feeley and he finished superbly high past Conor Brown from the edge of the box. On the half hour Greencastle had a golden opportunity to regain the lead after a Gerry Gill shot from twenty yards was parried by Gallagher and fell to Brennan Moore but his rushed effort just crept wide of the far post. The away side did gain the lead on 40 minutes when a speculative long ball deceived the Aileach defence and Moore lobbed the out rushing Gallagher from fifteen yards.  Aileach began the second half well and on 50 minutes were unfortunate not to equalise when Caoimhghin McFeeley raced down the right and fired a superb cross for Darren Mc Monagle but the centre forward was unlucky to see his volley come off the outside of the post and wide. The home side finally got the equaliser their play deserved when good work down the right between McFeeley and Gavin Doherty resulted in McFeeley firing another pin point cross and this time Darren Mc Monagle made no mistake with a side foot volley from eight yards high past Brown. The home side were on top at this stage and got in front for the first time on 60 minutes after Shane Mc Monagle latched onto a Gavin Doherty through ball and when his first attempted cross was blocked he clipped the ball back for Man of The Match Caoimhghin Mc Feeley to score a spectacular over head kick from twelve yards. With 15 minutes to go in what was a very open game Greencastle got an equaliser  when Nigel Mc Monagle got to the by line and his cross was scrambled home at the back post by Shay McLaughlin. Both sides went all out for a winner and Greencastle came closest with  seven minutes remaining when Nigel Mc Monagle broke clear and Michael McElroy recovered to block his effort which fell back to the striker and he rolled the ball across the goal and the retreating Denver Kelly somehow managed to deny Shay Mc Laughlin what looked like a tap in. In a game that could have went either way, both sides will be reasonably happy with a point. 


Strand Hotel First  Division 

Clonmany Res 1

Redcastle United  4

Redcastle  got off to a dream start when they opened the scoring in the 3rd minute after an Eoin McLaughlin left wing  cross found Cathal Cavanagh who scored with a deft glancing header past Kieran Friel. They continued to dominate and added a second on 31 minutes after a Josh McConalogue speculative long range effort was tipped around the post by Friel.  When the home defence failed to clear the corner McLaughlin chipped the ball across for Cavanagh to nod home from point blank range. Five minutes later Marc Bell s left wing cross was stroked home by Darragh McConway to leave the visitros three ahead at the break. Confusion in the home defence in the 57th minute allowed Ronan Hoy to get in behind and fire low past Friel to  make it four nil. But from there to the end of the game the home side were on top. They reduced the deficit when a quick release by Friel found Aaron Harkin  who beat a defender and fired over Michael McCole to the net. Substitute Dylan McEleney was then denied by McCole before the same player spooned the ball over the bar after good work by Mark Doherty. Clonmany continued to press and another substitute Ben Gill  crossed for Mark Doherty who headed over when well placed. They went close again on the stroke of full time when a corner fell to substitute Ethan Devlin but his effort was cleared off the line by a defender.

Dunree United 3

Aileach Res     0

Dunree began their league campaign with a three nil victory on their newly laid surface at St Egneys Park. After a slow start the game sprung to life on 20 minutes  after Mark Moran turned a defender and saw his snap shot saved by Sean McGuinness. Aileach responded and a cross cum shot from Stephen Doherty  bounced off the face off the crossbar to safety. Dunree replied and Bernie Doherty should have made more of an opportunity but fired straight at Mc Guinness.The visitors were dangerous on the break but it was the home side who took the lead on 43 minutes when Morans through ball released Liam Baldrick through the middle and lobbed the advancing keeper from twenty five yards. Dunree got a dream start to the second half after a quick throw in allowed Moran to turn  and hammer the ball into the bottom corner from the edge of the area.They sealed the points on the hour mark when William Doherty played the ball into the channel for Moran to run onto before cutting inside a defender and slotting home. Aileach battled to the end and when Cathal McElhinney got in behind the home defence  his effort was saved by Adam Harrigan. Dunree had the final chance when  Bernie Doherty beat the advancing keeper to the ball but Pol McGrory was on hand to hook if off the line.


Gleneely Colts 2

Carn FC     6

Played on Saturday evening Carn started the quickest  with efforts from Conor Gibbons and Kyran Cantwell well saved by Oran Raymond in the Colts goal before Cantwell had another effort blocked by a defender. The home side replied on 22 minutes with a Matthew McGoldrick cross just eluding Shay Harkin.Gleneely then took a shock lead after  John Doherty came out of Gleneely defence and played a brilliant low ball through  to Shay Harkin  whose cut back was cleared only as far as Manus Doherty who  fired low past  Ben Miller’s left side from twenty five yards. Gleneely went close again when a  cross from McGoldrick was flicked on by Paul Doherty but just over the bar.  Carn responded and got back on terms on 30 minutes with  Cian Burke who cut inside and and curled a left foot shot past Oran Raymond.  Brandon Browne and Cantwell then both went close for the visitors before the home side regained the lead  when a flick on by Paul Gamble to Christy McDaid who hit an unstoppable shot from 20 yards. Carn opened the stronger on the resumption and Burke had one effort saved before seeing another drift just over. The colts replied  and spurned a clear chance after Corey O Brien squared to  Billy McCann but he dragged his effort wide when well placed. Midway through the half Carn levelled when Ross Farren headed home from a corner. The visitors had the momentum now and a Lorcan Bradley effort with the aid of a slight deflection saw them nose ahead on 68 minutes. A quick counter attack by the visitors from a Gleneely corner saw Burke square the ball fro Cade Cooke to make it four two. Cooke then added another gola with a fine twenty yards strike to the top corner before  good work down  the right side ended up with Adam McLaughlin slotting the ball through the advancing keepers legs to  make it six two on the night.


Buncrana Res 1


Buncrana started this game well and took an early lead after Jack Soal finished superbly after a good ball into the area from Jerry Gill. The visitors responded and McDean beat two defenders but saw his shot well saved by Oran McBride in the hearts goal. QPS levelled the game after hesitant defending allowed Josh Boyle  race clear to finish well past McBride.  The home side then spurned a great chance when Gill broke clear but his attempted chip sailed over the bar. Just before the break the visitors took the lead  after Conor Barrow beat two defenders and slotted  low past the advancing McBride. Both sides had chance in the early stages of the second half when Boyle s effort was well saved by McBride while at the other end Sean McLaughlins free kick rattled the crossbar. QPS then increased their lead with a superb strike from the edge of the area from Barrow giving McBride no chance. The visitors finished the game strongly and late goals from John McCloskey  and Barrow to complete his hat trick saw them run out five one victors.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two    

Aileach Youths 0

Cockhill Res 5

The visitors dominated this game from start to finish and opened the scoring on 15 minutes after Luke Bradley pounced to drill home from close range after the home keeper had parried a Liam Bradley effort. They continued to pepper the home  goal but failed to add to their advantage before the interval. Two minutes into the second half Andy McKinney converted a penalty  to increase the visitors lead. On the hour make number three arrived following a corner which fell nicely to Luke Bradley to get his second.  In the 71st minute they added a fourth when McKinneys low cross was forced home at the back post by Liam Bradley. The same player then completed the scoring when he finished well after a superb passing move.

QPS Youth 1

Rasheney FC 7

Rasheney began well and Peter Doherty fired wide when well placed before they broke the  deadlock on 21 minutes. Brian Doherty advanced unchallenged from midfield and unleashed a shot  which took a wicked deflection  past the stranded Lee McColgan in the home goal. They went close again five minutes later when Cormac Dillon fed Ronan Shovlin whose powerful effort crashed off the bar. The home side responded and got back on terms on the half hour when Daniel McMenamin split the Rasheney defence with a superb pass to Lee Rutherford who  calmly lifted the ball over Sean Friel from fifteen yards. But Rasheney regained the  lead five minutes later after Dillons cross from the left found Padhraic Skelly who converted from a tight angle at the back post. They made it three one then before the break when a Sean McLaughlin cross picked out Tommy Doherty to slot home from ten yards.  Rasheney dominated the second half and McColgan in the home goal had to be smartly off his line to smother at the feet of Dillon. On 55 minutes Dillon released Shane Cregan and he fired to the roof of the net to make it four one.  Great work by Dillon again on the hour mark saw him set up Keelan Long for a close range finish. Rasheney continued to press and substitute Darren Coyle fired over before a Ryan Doherty effort was brilliantly tipped round  the post by McColgan. Long then fired home the  sixth goal from a tight angle  before the unmarked Shovlin added the seventh and final goal. The point had the final chance when Cillian McElhinney created space on the edge of the area but saw his effort well saved by Friel.


Carn Res 6

Moville Res 1

The home side took the lead in the 15th minute when Mark Scott scored with a fine shot from the edge of the area to the  bottom corner. But Moville hit back and equalised on 33 minutes when home keeper Daniel McDaid advanced to clear but the clearance was controlled by Michael McCarron  who then lobbed the stranded McDaid from distance. Carn got off to a great start on the resumption and regained the lead on 51 minutes when Cormac McLaughlin advanced  on the left and pulled the ball back for Conor McLaughlin to slot home from ten yards. Mark Scott then  charged down the keepers clearance to slot home and make it three one. Carn continued to press and added to their lead  when Conor McLaughlin won possession and advanced into the area to drill home. Scott then completed his hat trick when he got on the end of a cut back from Shay Fallon to make it five one.  They completed the scoring on 88 minutes after a Darragh Doherty cross was slotted home at the back post by Shane McGuinness.

Rasheney RES 2

Carrowmena FC 7

In an entertaining opening half play swung from end to end and the sides shared four goals. Rasheney were first to show when a Gareth McKeever effort was blocked but  Brendan Grant fired the loose ball wide. At the other end a Gerard Gill effort was well saved by Fergal Diver in the home goal. Carrowmena took the lead then on 15 minutes when Ruairi Dougal headed a corner forward for brother  Killian to swivel ad fire home from ten yards. Rasheney responded and a Diarmait Keogh cross just eluded the inrushing McKeever. The home side got back on terms on 34 minutes  after another cross from Keogh  fell to McKeever and he fires home  from twelve yards. The visitors regained the lead four minutes later after a looping cross from Sean McGranaghan came off the inside of the post and fell perfectly for Sean Duffy to slot home. But again the home side rallied and levelled before the break with Mamuka Osiashvili releasing McKeever who advanced to the edge of the area  before drilling a low effort  to the bottom corner. Carrowmena regained the lead three minutes into the second half when Ruairi Dougal released Paul McGowan to advance into the area and drill past Diver. The unmarked McGowan added another when picked out by Gill on 55 minutes before Sean McGranaghan converted a penalty to make it five two. Carrowmena were rampant and made it six two with McGowan completing his hat trick running onto a through ball and finishing with aplomb. Sean Duffy was then denied by  fabulous save from Diver but Duffy completed the scoring when he converted from close range. Rasheney were denied a consolation on 88 minutes after Kyle Doherty was upended in the area but Mckeever s spot kick was superbly saved by Michael Noone.

Culdaff Res 1

Glengad Res 0

Played in a torrential downpour at Caratra Park on Saturday night this was an entertaining local derby where the home side  snatched victory late in the game. Culdaff had most of the chances with a Mac McLaughlin effort well saved by Patrick McLaughlin in the Glengad goal on 16 minutes. Midway through the half Culdaff went close again after a Noel McLaughlin effort was superbly cleared off the line by Glengad s Christopher McLaughlin. Culdaff had the first chance of the second half as well but a Niall Gordon header flew past McLaughlins right hand post. Glengad  found clear chances hard to come by but Paul McGonagle and Ryan McLaughlin kept the home defence on their toes. Culdaff then struck for the winner on 86 minutes when two substitutes combined after Darragh McCormick got on the end of a Jack O Brien cross to drill home from close range.

Illies Res 3

Redcastle Res 1

Illies began this game well and  Paddy Doherty headed an early chance just over before Ronan Hegarty was denied by a good save from Ciaran Roberts in the visitors goal. Roberts then saved well with his legs to deny Oran Doherty as he bore down on goal midway through the half. Redcastle s first threat came when a Darren Harkin shot on the half hour was well saved by Graham Doherty. Illies responded and took the lead on 39minutes after  Hegartys cross was met with a superb Paddy Doherty diving header past Roberts. Redcastle equalised on the stroke of half time after good work by Mark Farren on the right saw his cross slotted home from twelve yards by Harkin.Illies dominated possession on the restart but found clear chances hard to come by until the 74th minute. Nathan Doherty advanced and fed the ball to Hegarty on the edge of the area and he drilled  a superb shot to the bottom corner. They sealed the points then on 781minutes after Hegarty set up Nathan McLaughlin to finish well from twelve yards.


Sea Rovers 4

Dunree Res 2

Rovers playing with the wind were dominant from the start of the game with  a superb pass from Connor Gallagher in midfield finding  Andrew Gallagher who opened the scoring with a fine strike. A free kick from 30 yards out was well struck by Rovers Damien Ward forcing the Dunree keeper Oran Doherty into a fine save but the ball only came out as far as Andrew Gallagher who tapped it in from close range . Another  shot from the edge of the box by Daniel Gallagher was well saved by Oran Doherty resulting in a corner for Rovers. The corner was taken by  Declan Mc Gonagle, and cleared outside the box only as far as Andrew Gallagher whose 30 yard strike beat the keeper  to complete his hat trick . Dunree pushed back but were caught on the counter attack with Rovers Daniel Gallagher making a  run down the left wing crossing in to Andrew Gallagher who once again made no mistake to leave the home side four nil ahead at the break. The first chance of the second half fell to the visitors Gerry Farrell  whose free kick saw  Rovers keeper Mark Mc Laughlin tip over the bar. Rovers responded with a fine cross in from Shay Rodgers was hit by Andrew Gallagher whose shot came of the post, Dylan Collins got on the rebound but his shot was well saved. Rovers Andrew Gallagher was the supplier this time when his cross in was met by Mathew Harley  his effort going inches wide of the post. Dunree won a free kick outside the box  and  Ryan Toland  superbly despatched the free to the bottom corner.Fine play  then from Paul Jackson and Calumn Booth set up Gerry Farrell whose well struck shot flew into the roof of the net to make  the final score  four two.