Match Reports Sunday 4th March


Jackie Crossan Premier Division        

Aileach FC                         3

Buncrana Hearts               0

This game started in very cagey fashion with both teams feeling each other out which resulted in a very scrappy opening.

After 15 minutes Darren McMonagle was fouled in a wide right position and the resulting free kick taken by Thomas McMonagle was glanced into his own net by a Buncrana defender leaving Seamus Houghton stranded. Buncrana responded with a free kick of their own taken by Kieran McDaid which beat everybody with Michael Coyle just failing to get a touch before a grateful  Peter Devlin gathered. On the half hour Darren McMonagle got clear down the right but his final ball was just too strong for the inrushing Dermot Doherty.  The second half was barely  minutes old when Aileach grabbed a second after Mark McElhinney strode forward

from defence and found Anthony Doherty who flicked the ball into Ronan Coyles path and the centre forward drew the keeper before slotting the ball low to Houghtons left. This stung Buncrana into action and they forced a sucession of corners and had the home side under severe pressure,but with a combination of brave defending and strong goalkeeping by Peter Devlin they

kept the visitors at bay. Midway through the half Aileach struck again when Gavin Doherty played in Ronan Coyle (Pictured on Right) in the inside right channel and as Houghton hesitated he produced a superb finish from what seemed an impossible angle with the ball creeping inside the far post. Buncrana pushed forward in an attempt to get something from the game which left gaps at the back and substitute Patrick Curran almost capitalized but his thirty yards  effort was cleared off the line by the retreating Stephen Grant. Aileach saw the game out for an important three points and have a solid back there and goalkeeper to thank for keeping a dangerous Buncrana attack scoreless .

Aileach Team who defeated Buncrana

Buncrana Hearts team who lost to Aileach

Greencastle FC                  7

QPS                                    0

In good but cold conditions the home side started well  with Shaun Doherty firing a free just over the bar on 3 minutes. Then Nigel McMonagle raced onto a long kick out but saw his effort saved by David Bell. At the other end Shaun Downey saw an effort defected wide for a corner. Greencastle took the lead on 13 minutes when Mark Henry fed McMonagle on the left and crossed for Christy Hegarty who controlled well and slotted home from twelve yards. They increased their lead on 27 minutes after Ciaran Moore squared for the inrushing Stephen Grant to slot home from six yards. Minutes later Michael Henry’s low cross was met on the half volley by Hegarty to make it three nil.

Greencastle continued on top after the restart and McMonagle fired an early effort wide before Hegarty had an effort which grazed the post. On 55minutes it became four when Matthew Henry       played a superb pass to release McMoangle to drill home from sixteen yards. Henry then had a free  deflect off the wall to Doherty who fired wide. The point replied with Michael Nicholas feeding Conor Barrow who advanced but was denied by a fine save from Dillon Doherty. It became five nil when Hegarty fed McMonagle who in turn found Stephen Grant who curled an excellent left footed effort past David Bell.

Great work by Hegarty in midfield saw him find Michael henry and when he squared for brother Matthew his effort was blocked by a defender. It was six nil on 75 minutes when Henry robbed a defender and advanced past two defenders before firing a superb effort to the top corner. The visitors kept trying and Doherty in the home goal saved well from Stephen McKendry. In the last move of the game home substitute David Heuston played a nice reverse pass to Hegarty who completed his hat trick with a fine strike.

Clonmany Shamrocks                  2

Illies Celtic                                      2

Played in good but cold conditions the shamrocks started well with Steve Harkin finding Ryan Doherty whose cross found Dessie Doherty and his looping header was brilliantly saved by Johnathan Noone. On 17 minutes Gary Doherty released Ryan Doherty who pulled the  ball back to Doherty and his effort was deflected goalwards by Dessie Doherty but again Noone reacted superbly. Illies then took the lead on 22 minutes  when with the home side appealing for offside Gavin Doherty crossed towards Adrian Donaghey Doherty but the ballcame off a defender and past Patrick Harkin. Clonmany replied and got back on terms on 44 minutes when a Paddy Doherty cross to Jason Devlin saw Devlin unleash a stunning volley which dipped under the crossbar from sixteen yards.        On 63 minutes Donaghey Doherty broke on the left and his deep cross was well cleared by Gary Doherty. Illies regained the lead on 67 minutes when keeper Harkin played a short free on half way  but John Campbell broke forward and tucked the ball past the retreating Harkin. Clonmany substitute Jason Doherty equalised on 85 minutes when he unleashed a brilliant effort from the angle of the area to the top corner past Noone and earn a share of the spoils.

Carn FC                              0

Glengad United                 1

The visitors had an early chance when a John G McLaughlin effort was well parried by Kyle Dougal in the home goal before Terence Doherty laid off to Matthew Byrne but he fired wide from twelve yards. Midway through the half Shane Canning crossed for Patrick McDermott who fired over. Carn replied with Gert Dzerins  found Joe McKinney on the left and his cross was headed over by Brandon Browne from ten yards. Glengad replied with Canning advancing and feeding Seamus Doherty who crossed for Joe Doherty whose effort was parried by Dougal. Glengad had another chance when McLaughlin fed Canning who in turn found McDermott but again he failed to hit the target as the half ended scoreless. The visitors broke the deadlock on 54 minutes when Christopher Mclaughlin crossed for Stephen McLaughlin to powerfully fire to the bottom corner from fifteen yards. Midway through the half Canning ‘s cross found McDermott who failed to hit the target from ten yards. Carn replied with Dzerins releasing McKinney who was clear of the defence but from the edge of the area fired wide. Then a Cade Cooke corner was headed over by Conor Doherty. On 87 minutes a Dayton Cooke run and cross found brother Cade but he fired over from ten yards.

Hannon Greene Insurances Fr O Gara Cup

Preliminary Round

Culdaff Res                        3

Redcastle Res                    1

This was an entertaining encounter in windy conditions between two young sides. Culdaff got off to a dream start on 2 minutes after a Joe O Connor snapshot was parried by Paul Doherty for Cathal McGrenaghan to react quickest and fire high to the net from seven yards. With the wind Redcastle had the more efforts on goal with Antonio Rea seeing an effort well saved by Callum Doherty before a brilliant back heel inside the area from Cathal Crumlish found Alan Clarke who fired just over from sixteen yards. Then an inswinging Evan Craig corner was headed over under pressure by Terry McColgan. The pressure told on 32 minutes when Corey Curran fired  a thirty yards  free to the net which home keeper Doherty will be disappointed that he did not save. The start of the second period was a very scrappy affair until Culdaff regained the lead on 67 minutes after an inswinging Aiden Cunningham corner came off the head of a defender and past Doherty. Redcastle hit back on 75 minutes and  McColgan’s volley was brilliantly tipped over the bar by Doherty. Within a minute play swung to the other end and Liam Doherty fired a stunning powerful twenty five yards effort to the bottom left hand corner giving Doherty no chance. Redcastle upped the tempo with Evan Craig firing wide and Shay Davenport firing over in quick succession. The last chance fell to the home side when a long clearance from Doherty found Cunningham who headed narrowly wide.

Moville Celtic                     1

Dunree United                   2

In a surprising result Dunree advanced to the  next round  with an excellent away win. It was Moville took the lead on 5 minutes when a free kick was headed out to Michael McNaught who hit it on the half volley to the bottom corner past Shaun Doherty. On 10 minutes Kevin McDermott headed on for McNaught but his effort was blocked by the legs of Doherty. McDermott then got on the end of a Norbert Indyka cross but it went inches wide. Dunree then got back on terms  when Darryl Moran got on the end of a flick on to slot past Ryan Coyle from close range. Moville spurned a good chance on 23 minutes when the unmarked Charlie Gill headed wide at the back post before McDermott fired straight at Doherty when well placed. Dunree responded and a long range Daniel Mclaughlin effort sailed just over. Neat interplay by the home side ended when Indyka’s header from McDermott’s cross crashed off the post and his follow up was blocked. On 51 minutes Indyka had a shot blocked by Doherty and McNaught fired the rebound into the side netting. A misplaced header then let McDermott in but his left foot shot beat Doherty and drifted just past the far post. At the other end McLaughlin crosses for substitute Thomas Doherty but his effort was well held by Coyle. Moville pressed and when McNaught chipped Doherty the ball just went wide. Dunree’s Philip McGuinness fed Moran whose well struck effort cashed off the bar. Dunree took the lead on 77 minutes when Liam Baldrick fires a low effort to the bottom corner past Coyle who got a hand to the ball but could not prevent it crossing the line. McGuinness then crossed for Thomas Doherty whose effort was well blocked by the legs of Coyle. Moville threw everything forward and a long ball finds McNaught whose effort was saved by Doherty who recovered well to deny Indykas follow up. On 89 Minutes McGuinness blasts over when well placed while on the stroke of half time an Emmet McCauley cross was sidefooted goalwards but Doherty pulled off a superb Gordon Banks style save to scoop  the ball clear.  In injury time Dunree broke and McGuinness played a one two with Doherty before seeing his effort crash off the post.

Redcastle United              10

Cockhill Res                        2

Redcastle signalled their intent straight from the kick off Aarron Nash hit the cross bar and Jack McConalogue hit the right hand side post. On 20 minutes  Ethan Canning on the left wing crossed for Aarron Nash to head the ball down to Jack McConalougue who fired past Gary Robinson from six yards. They doubled their lead on 26 minutes after Darragh McConway picked up the ball and fed  Aarron Nash who passes to Denim McLaughlen to  shoot low past Robinson. Six minutes later it became three when Canning beats a defender and crossed for Gavin Grant  to fire home. The visitors reduced the deficit after home keeper Michael McCole failed to hold Mark Gillespie’s cross allowing Gary Breslin to pounce and drill home.  But  the home side responded and when Robinson parried Nash’s effort the loose ball fell to Cahir McLaughlin who made no mistake. They then made it five one before the interval when Canning crosses for Nash to control on his chest  , swivel and fire to the top corner.Further goals from  Shaun Curran Ethan Canning(2)Denim McLaughlin and one goal from cockhills Mark Gillespies completed the scoring in the second period.



Strand Hotel First Division

Rasheney FC           3

Sea Rovers              0

Rovers had the first chance when Damien Ward advanced and fired just over from twenty yards. But Rasheney replied and Charlie Doherty just failed to connect with a Brendan Doherty right wing cross. Rasheney then  took the lead on 9 minutes when a Michael Toland cross was powered home by a Shane Gordon header past Glen Watson. Three minutes later they doubled their lead after a delightful through ball by Declan McLaughlin was controlled by Brendan Doherty who advanced and fired a low shot across Watson to the far corner. On 15       minutes Damien Friel fed Charlie Doherty whose half volley was well saved by Watson. Rovers responded and another angled shot by Ward was well turned round the post by Sean Friel. Midway through the half Charlie Doherty fed McLaughlin on the left and his cross found Friel but he somehow hooked wide from six yards. At the other end a fine dipping effort from twenty five yards by Keelan Doherty just cleared the bar. Rasheney got a great start to the second half when on 47 minutes  Charlie Doherty converted from the penalty spot after a foul on Damien Friel. A sweeping move for the home side ended with Declan Mclaughlin laying off to Friel eight yards out but Watson made a brilliant point blank save. McLaughlin then fired into the side netting before Rovers Mark Doherty had an effort deflected over. From the corner substitute Graham Morgan volleyed over the bar.

Gleneely Colts       0

Aileach Res             3

In good but cold conditions the visitors started well and when Sean McHugh raced onto a Keith McColgan pass he fired wide with only Brian Houghton to beat. Minutes later Ruairi Bradley saw a twenty yards effort well tipped round the post by Houghton. From the corner the ball fell to Ciaran McGrory who headed wide when well placed. Aileach then  broke the deadlock on 11 minutes after  a long ball from McColgan deceived Houghton and dropped beneath the bar. The colts replied with a Billy McCann poked effort  from close range turned behind by Ciaran Bradley . The visitors increased their lead when Bradley despatched a twenty five yards free to the top left hand corner to leave them two nil ahead at the break. Aileach started the second half well with McGrory denied by a good save from Houghton low to his left. Gleneely responded and Paul Gamble had a good chance but fired over from fifteen yards. The home side had another chance but  a Dylan McDaid twenty yards effort crashed off the bar before being cleared.  Aileach broke and made it three nil when McGrory released Bradley and he fired low past Houghton from ten yards. At the other end Gamble fired wide when well placed. Aileach finished the game well but both McGrory and Bradley spurned good late chances.



Inishowen Engineering Division Two    A       

Glengad Res                      5

Aileach Youths                   0

The league leaders were much more clinical when it came to converting their chances and that was the difference in the end.They got off to a great  start on 12minutes after a Paul McGonigle pass released Gary Kelly who advanced to drill low past Ryan Fox from twelve  yards. McGonigle then had an effort which Fox scrambled off the line with the home side appealing in vain that the ball had crossed the line.  Aileach then had a good spell with Killian O Rourke firing just wide before a Daithi Grant effort shaved the post. Patrick Curran then burst into the area but home keeper Michael Mclaughlin smothered well at his feet. Glengad made it two nil on 38 minutes when Christopher Mclaughlin fired a penalty low to the left after a handball in the area. Aileach had the first chance of the second period when Brendan Hegarty beat two men but fired just wide  while at the other end McGonagle blazed over from six yards. When Mark McKinney fed John McDaid he turned back the years with a stunning twenty five yards effort to the top corner.  A sliced clearance then from Fox on 70 minutes found Gary Kelly and he fired to the unguarded net before McDaid was denied by a fine save from Fox. Glengad sealed the victory when McKinney and Patrick McLaughlin combined to find John G McDermott to slot home from eight yards.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two    B                

Carrowmena  FC                2

Greencastle Res                0

After an even opening the first chance came to the home side who took the lead on 15 minutes when a Dean McGeoghaghan cross was slotted past Seamus Bovaird by Finbar McCallion from six yards. Greencastle had a lot of possession with Jude Harkin and Tom Heuston prominent but failed to create any clear chances.  The home side replied on the half hour after Gerard Gill crossed for Christy McGeoghaghan who fired over from twelve yards. Greencastle’s best chance of the first half when Jude Harkin swivelled in  the area but fired wide.  The second half was a close hard fought affair with defences on top and a lot of the play in midfield. But Carrowmena made it two nil on 75 minutes after good work by Dean McGeoghaghan found Darragh Kelly who beat three defenders and poked the ball past the advancing Bovaird. Greencastle replied and a long clearance was well controlled by Shaun Cavanagh  but his volley on the turn whistled just wide. Carrowmena’s Mark Doherty and Samuel Bredin both had late half chances but failed to hit the target


Charlie O Donnell  Cup Quarter Finals

Culdaff FC                4

Buncrana Hearts   1

Played in Culdaff on Tuesday night the holders advanced to the semi finals after a comprehensive victory over a Buncrana side who suffered the loss of goalkeeper Seamus Houghton through injury early in the game.  Culdaff took the lead in the 4th minute when Brendan Mc Laughlin curled a free kick from the edge of the area, around the wall and into the bottom corner. Buncrana had a chance on 6 minutes when a ball over the top found Micheal Coyle but Culdaff keeper Mullarkey saved with his feet . Coyle had another chance to equalise on 11 minutes when again, he found himself clear of the Culdaff defence but his shot went wide of the far post. Buncrana suffered a blow on 25 minutes when keeper Houghton had to retire through injury to be replaced by Kevin O Loughlin. The only other chance of the first half fell to Oisin O Flaherty on 36 minutes but his attempted lob was well over the crossbar. Culdaff increased their lead in the 46th minute when a cross cum shot from Eugene Mc Laughlin, out on the left, decieved stand in keeper O Loughlin and ended up in the top corner of the net. Culdaff added a third on 57 minutes, when

Brendan Mc Laughlin robbed a defender on the edge of the area and found the

net from twelve yards. The game was over as a contest on 59 minutes when

Culdaff ‘s Micheal Coyle picked up a poor clearence from keeper O Laughlin and fired to the bottom corner of the net from thirty yards to make it four nil to the home side . The swirling wind had increased at the stage making ball control difficult for both sets of players. On 61 minutes a swirling inswinging

corner from Culdaff substitute Aiden Cunningham was cleared of the line.

Buncrana pulled a goal back on 71 minutes when a ball over the top found

substitute Stephen Mc Hugh and he volleyed to the top corner of the net

from twenty yards. Culdaff had another chance on 85 minutes when a cross from Dillon Ruddy was headed narrowly over by Brendan Mc Laughlin. The final chance of the game came on the 90th minute for Buncrana ,when a through ball from midfield found Oisin O Flaherty but Culdaff substitute Mc Laughlin saved well at the feet of the striker.

Carn FC                            0                                                                                             

Redcastle United              5

Played in Gleneely on Tuesday night premier division Carn were well beaten by a rampant Redcastle outfit. After an even opening Redcastle broke the deadlock on 18 minutes when Shaun Curran played a superb ball into Aaron Nash who fired low to the corner from twelve yards. Ten minutes later Jack McConalogue breaks down the right and his cross found Brendan Murphy but his header was well saved by Dean Mason. Carn responded just after the half hour when Brandon Browne fed Dermot Doherty but his low shot was well saved by Michael McCole before McCole then gathered a Michael O Donnell header after a good cross from Conor Doherty. But Redcastle then broke with McConalogue beating his man on the right and crossing for Nash to fire low into the bottom corner. Carn replied before the break and a Cade Cooke corner finds O Donnell whose header is parried by McCole and in the ensuing scramble McCole eventually gathers with the Carn side appealing in vain for a penalty. Redcastle sealed the contest minutes after the restart when Curran releases Murphy and he fires past Mason from fifteen yards. Midway through the half it became four nil after  Curran and Nash combined to find Conor McNamee and he fired to the top corner to give Mason no chance. The final goal came on 72 minutes when Ethan Canning advances on the left wing before slipping the ball through to Nash who completes his hat trick with a fine low effort. Carn had the final chance of the game on 84 minutes when Michael McDermott laid the ball off to Dermot Doherty who fired just over the bar from the edge of the area.