Match Reports Sunday 4th December

Sunday 4th December   

Ulster Junior Cup

Buncrana Hearts 4

Greencastle FC 3

In very cold conditions at Castle Park the home side had a clear chance in the third minute when Aaron McDaid fed Kieran McDaid  who cut inside a defender but saw his effort tipped over the bar by Conor Browne.

Greencastle responded and opened the scoring in the 9th minute after a Gerry Gill corner picked out the unmarked Brenan Moore on the edge of the area and he drilled through a  crowd of players  past Rory Kelly.  Buncrana tried to hit back with an Aaron McDaid cross flicked narrowly wide by Sean Mullan. Greencastle were always dangerous and in the 38th minute Gill sent Odhran Kennedy clear but his effort was well tipped over by Kelly. Before the break a Buncrana free kick saw McDaid lay the ball off for Mullan whose effort was well saved by Browne. In a frantic start to the second half Mullan fired over when well placed before at the other end James Henry dispossessed a defender but also shot over. Mullan then headed over an Aaron McDaid cross  after good build up play involving substitute Jamie McDaid.  Greencastle stunned the holders then when they went two nil ahead after another Gill corner was slotted home by Michael Barr. Buncrana upped the tempo and reduced the deficit after Aaron McDaid crossed for Jamie McDaid to slot past Browne at the back post.  Aaron McDaid then had an effort saved by Browne before the home side got back on terms when Kieran McDaids cross  was diverted to the net by the outstretched leg of a defender giving Browne no chance. Against the run of play at this stage the visitors regained the lead in the 79th minute when  Henry intercepted a defensive pass and advanced before laying the ball into the path of Moore who scored with a superb finish. With time running out Buncrana levelled again on 88 minutes when after Browne had parried Ryan Doherty  cross Kieran McDaid slotted home from point blank range. Then on the stroke of full time the impressive Aaron McDaid advanced on the right again and his cross was hammered home by Jamie McDaid to seal the victory and progression.

Jackie Crossan Premier Division 

Aileach FC 6

Culdaff FC 1

 Aileach took the lead in the 5th minute  when Jack Doherty played in Darren Bradley down the right and his first time cross was turned home by Caoimhin McFeeley past Zach Conlon in the Culdaff goal. Number  two  came minutes later when Ethan Canning beat two  defenders and slid the ball wide of Conlon from 12 yards. On the half hour Aileach made it  three after Gavin Doherty crossed for Darren Bradley to head home from close range. With half time approaching Culdaff pulled a goal back when a long through ball found Bryan Mc Candless who controlled well before firing a superb right foot drive that flew past Matthew Crossan into the top right hand corner. On the stroke of half time, Caoimhin Mc Feeley restored Aileach’s three  goal advantage when he played a neat one two with Gavin Doherty before sliding the ball passed Conlon from 12 yards. The second half continued in the same vein with the home side on top of what was a weakened Culdaff side. A combination of poor finishing and some heroics by Conlon in the Culdaff goal meant the score remained unchanged until the 70th minute. A precise through ball from Thomas Mc Monagle, found brother Darren, who advanced before cutting the ball back for Gareth McGlynn to clip a fine effort passed Conlon from eight yards. Just before full time Darren Bradley grabbed his second and Aileach’s sixthth when Shane Mc Monagle overlapped down the left and crossed for Darren Bradley to head home from close range to complete the scoring. 


Illies Celtic 2

Glengad United 4

The visitors took the lead in the 10th minute after a Seamus Doherty deep corner found John G McLaughlin who rifled to the roof of the net from six yards. Illies replied but Sean McCallion was denied by a superb left handed save from Ciaran Gallagher. The visitors then increased their advantage when John G McDermotts free kick was headed past Johnathan Noone by Joe Doherty from twelve yards. Illies rallied and reduced the deficit when a Liam Doherty cross was headed back across goal by Dominic Doherty for Ethan Doherty  to slot home from close range. They got  back on terms on 41 minutes after McCallion burst past a defender to race clear and drill low and hard past Gallagher.  In a repeat move on the stroke of half time McCallion burst clear again only for Gallagher to make a smart save and two Illies attackers failing to get on the loose ball. The visitors were the better team in the second half and regained the lead after a Terence Doherty cross was headed back by John McDaid for Joe Doherty to slide the ball home. Stephen McLaughlin then saw a free kick clip the outside of the post before they visitors sealed the points on 76 minutes. After a flowing move Terence Doherty laid the ball into the path of McDaid  who hammered to the roof of the net.

Strand Hotel First  Division   

Redcastle United 3

Carn   FC 3

In a lively opening the home sides Jack Ferrys cross from the left found Gavin Grant but he fired wide from fifteen yards in the 12th minute. Carn responded and  opened the scoring when Cade Cooke despatched a twenty yards free kick past the wall and Michael McCole in the home goal. The home side tried hard to respond and a Shaun Curran free was well saved by Ben Miller in the Carn goal. Carn ended the half on top with Gert Dzerins feeding Christopher Diver but his effort was well saved by McCole. Carn increased their lead just before the break when Cian Burke headed home a Cade Cooke corner to  put the league leaders two  goals ahead. The home side got the perfect start to the second period when Eoghan Mclaughlin crossed from the right for  Grant to fire low past Miller from twelve yards.  But the visitors restored their two goal advantage within minutes when Cooke collected the ball on the edge of the area turned smartly and drilled a low shot to the  bottom corner past the despairing dive of McCole. The home side dragged themselves back into the contest in the 77th minute when after Miller punched clear a Joe McCauley free the ball fell to Martin McCarron to fire to the net from sixteen yards. Three minutes later they got back on terms when Marc Bell advanced from midfield and found Curran to  fire past Miller and make it three all.

Gleneely Colts 0


The visitors had the first opportunity when Conor Barrow unleashed an effort but Oran Raymond in the Colts goal saved well in the 10th minute. Minutes later Aaron Scott  turned well and fired narrowly wide . They took a deserved lead on 21 minutes   John McCloskey  squared the ball for Barrow to slot past the stranded Raymond. Gleneely responded with  Christy McDaid seeing an effort blocked following a corner. Both Conor Hegarty and McDaid were then denied efforts on goal by good defending from the visitors. The Point increased their lead on 68 minutes after Scott was denied by Raymond but Jack McClean was on hand to slot the loose ball home. Barrow then had a free tipped over the bar by Raymond before another Barrow free was well saved by Raymond only for the loose ball to be seized on by McClean who made it three nil. They went close again late in the game when Sean Mcintyre headed narrowly over from a corner.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two    

Carrowmena FC 0

Cockhill Res 2

 A depleted home side battled manfully from the outset and despite Cockhill dominating possession they failed to trouble Michael Noone in the home goal in the opening period. The visitors did take the lead on the half hour when Kieran McElroy fed Nathan McDaid who switched the play out to Kevin McDaid on the right. He cut inside and from the edge of the area drilled a low shot across Noone and in off the far post.  They went close again minutes later after Luke Bradley flashed an effort just past the post when well placed. The home sides only effort of the half came in the 38th minute when Harry McQuillan collected Noones kick out and unleashed a speculative effort which just cleared the bar. Cockhill then increased their lead on the stroke of half time after Noone made a superb stop from Luke Bradleys effort but Dylan McDaid was on hand to slot the loose ball home. The home side mounted a fierce defensive rearguard action  for most of the second half  with Mike Price and Ryan McLaughlin prominent. The closest the visitors came  to adding to their total was a Sean Bradley effort which crashed off the bar in the 78th minute.

Moville Res 5

Glengad Res 3

In an entertaining clash this game  two late goals from the home side gave them the points. Glengad took the lead on 15 minute after the unmarked Caolan McColgan headed home PJ McDads cross at the back  post. Moville responded two minutes later and when Danny McGonigle parried a Michael McCarron effort Lorcan Gillen was on hand to slot home.  But the visitors regained the lead midway through the half when Mc Daid advanced from midfield and uleashed a crisp twenty yards effort into the bottom corner. Moville rallied again and equalised before the break when McCarron turned smartly inside the area and fired home at the second attempt after McGonigle had  saved his initial effort. Two minutes after the restart the home side took the lead for the first time with Mateus Indyka reacting quickest to a loose ball inside the area to slot home from sixteen yards. This time the   visitors replied and got back on terms midway through the half with McColgan running onto a Patrick Mc Laughlin pass and firing past the advancing Teles. With the game in the balance the home side struck for two goals in five minutes to seal the points. Firstly Andrew McCarron slotted home from close range before after the visitors defence failed to deal with an Evan Hudner long ball Michael McCarron lobbed McGonigle from fifteen yards.

Rashenny FC 7

Redcastle Res 1

The joint league leaders got off to a dream start in the third minute when Ronan Shovlin fed Conor McDaid who controlled well before slotting low past Oisin O’Kane in the visitors goal from ten yards. Redcastle responded with an Aiden Lynch free well held by Damine Friel before Lynch equalised with a low shot after a corner had broken kindly for him inside the Rashenny area. Rashenny upped the tempo with a Ryan Doherty cross punched clear under pressure by O Kane before a Shane Skelly effort his the underside of the bar and was cleared away. The home side regained the lead on 32 minutes after a low ground shot from Cormac Dillon squirmed past O’Kane. Minutes later they increased their advantage when Dillon released Skelly who converted at the second attempt after his initial effort was well saved. O’Kane then saved well at the feet of Dillon before on the stroke of half time O Kane parried McDaids  effort  but Dillon was on hand to fire home the loose ball and leave the home side four one ahead at the interval. Rashenny continued on top after the break and McDaid somehow failed to get on the end of  Dillons hooked ball across the area. They added a fifth on 57 minutes when substitute David McLaughlin split the visitors defence for Dillon to fire home from fourteen yards to complete his hat trick. McLaughlin then added two late goals himself with a pile driver in the 64th minute and a fine solo effort on 85 minutes. He was denied a hat trick himself when a late effort crashed back off the post.

Aileach  Youths 11

Dunree Res 0

The home side totally overpowered an understrength Dunree outfit at Lakeside on Sunday morning. They opened the scoring when  Shay Cuffe advanced on the right and crossed for the unmarked Stephen Doherty to slot home. Dylan McGrory then beat a defender on the edge of the area before drilling low past Philip Doherty . A McGrory corner was then headed home by Kevin Wallace  before McGrory was again the provider when he played in Brendan Hegarty who fired to the bottom corner. Dunree tried to respond and Gary Breslin had an effort tipped over by Dylan Porter in the home goal before the same player failed to hit the target when well placed. Before half time Wallace fired home a twenty yards free kick to leave the home side five nil ahead. Aileach dominated the second half and could afford the luxury of seeing  Dohertys penalty well saved by the Dunree keeper. But two  goals from Stephen Doherty to complete his hat trick, Kevin Boyle, Ethan O Toole , Tommy Doherty and McGroey completed the rout.

QPS Youth 3

Sea Rovers 1

Both sides went close in the opening exchanges with Liam Gallagher firing over for Rovers while at the other end Oisin McIntyre had a close range effort saved. The visitors broke the deadlock on 23 minutes when Andrew Gallagher pounced on a loose ball to fire to the corner of the net from eight yards. But the home side went close before the  break after a Reece McGilloway twenty five yards free crashed back off the crossbar. They got back on terms in the 55th minute when the rovers defence failed to clear allowing Jamie McColgan to fire home from close range.  Ten minutes later the home side took the lead with  a fine run from Brian McColgan whose low cross was slotted home by Ronan McColgan. They then went three one up after McGilloways right wing cross was swept home by Brian McColgan to put the home side three one ahead. Brian McColgan fired narrowly over the bar before substitute Aaron Barr was unlucky to see his effort rebound off the bar. Rovers pressed in the closing stages but failed to reduce the deficit.

Carn Res 3

Illies  Res 0

Illies started the game brightest and took the game to Carn early on. However it was Carn who took the lead on 15 minutes  after  Mark Scott’s lobbed pass was met by Daire Tully who calmly slotted the ball under the keeper from 12 yards. Illies continued to push and work hard but Carn were threatening on the counter. Carn increased their lead after 30 minutes when Christy Doherty  latched onto a loose ball from a corner. Illies reacted well and were very unlucky not to have pulled one back just before half time with Stephen Grants effort from distance was expertly saved by Carn keeper Daniel McDaid . Carn started the second half much better and took control of the game. Dayton Cooke was unlucky to see a shot well saved by Illies keeper Graeme Doherty. With 20 minutes to go Patrick Doherty almost got a goal back  when he raced through but put his shot wide. Moments later Carn put the game to bed thanks to a long range effort from Conan Gibbons who finished low into the left corner. That ensured Carn would take all three points in a game that was tighter than the score line suggests.


Culdaff Res 3

Rasheney Res 1

In blustery conditions in Caratra Rashenny opened the scoring on the 32nd minute, when a Diarmuid Keogh shot came off a Culdaff defender and past Patrick McLaughlin.  Culdaff, with the wind in the second half, grew in confidence  and when substitute Gary Collins was brought down outside the 18 yard box the resulting free was precisely converted by Niall Gordon. Culdaff had several chances with the wind, when Patrick McLaughlins goal-kick, ended up in the oppostion box – but Eugene McLaughlin failed to finish. In the 85th minute the home side took the lead after Euan McFeely  cut in on his right foot and curled the ball past the Rashenny keeper from 16 yards.  They sealed the points when veteran striker Niall McLaughlin made it three – one in the 91st minute.