Match Reports Sunday 3rd September

Inishowen Football League Reports  3rd September  

Jackie Crossan Premier Division 

Buncrana Hearts

Carn FC

Buncrana got their league title defence off to a flying start with a comprehensive win over newly promoted Carn at Castle Park. Carn had an early chance after Lorcan Bradley saw a twenty yards effort well saved by Taylor Clarke.Buncrana  opened the scoring on 8 minutes with James Adair  finding Aaron McDaid who beat a defender and pulled the ball back for Matthew Brown to shoot low past Daniel McDaid.

Minutes later they added a second when Adairs cross was knocked down by Jamie McDaid into the path of Shaunie Bradley to fire past McDaid.  Jamie McDaid then got on the end of an Adam Curran cross but headed wide before the home side added a third on 36 minutes. A Calvin Gallagher cross was met by a powerful Kevin O Loughlin header despite the best efforts of McDaid to keep it out.  Carn had an early chnce in the second half when Cade Cooke  made space on the right hand side of the area but his effort was blocked by the legs of  Clarke. Buncrana regained control and both Curran and Gallagher fired narrowly over the bar from distance. A James Adair cross then came off the back post with McDaid scrambling across his goal. The final chance came to the home side  as well but Sean McDermott headed wide from a corner.

Pictured is Matty Brown and Shaunie Bradley Buncrana scorers

Buncrana Hearts



Cockhill Celtic 4

Clonmany Shamrocks 0

Cockhill Celtic made a winning return to the Jackie Crossan Premier Division with a fairly comfortable victory over a dogged Clonmany side on Saturday evening. After a hectic opening, the home side took the lead on ten minutes when Adam McLaughlin picked up the ball on the edge of the area before firing a trademark effort, low past the helpless, Liam McGonigle. The hosts went on to dominate the ball for the majority of the opening half but the visitors kept a decent shape and kept themselves in the game with some very impressive defending in that opening period. With only the one goal between the sides at the interval, Cockhill knew they needed to step it up a gear and they did just that, getting in for the second goal of the game on 49 minutes. 

Substitute, Liam Grant produced an excellent low finish after being played through by Jack Mullan to give the hosts that wee bit of breathing space. Clonmany passed up a big chance to get back into the game moments later when Jake Harkin headed wide from a Matthew Brennan free when he really should’ve been hitting the target. 

The game was as good as over as a contest on the hour mark when Mullan won the ball back on the edge of the box before Grant’s deflected effort gave McGonigle no chance in the Clonmany goal. 

Cockhill missed a couple of good chances to increase their lead before the fourth goal eventually arrived when Grant completed his hat-trick after an excellent pass from Jimmy Bradley. The visitors lost Paddy Doherty to a second yellow late in the game but despite the score line, Marty Doherty will be pleased that his side battled until the end. 

For Cockhill, it’s a good win but Gavin Cullen will be looking for even more from his side in the coming weeks. 


Illies Celtic 0

Greencastle FC 5

Played on Saturday evening in very good conditions the home side defended superbly in the opening half. Greencastle dominated possession but failed to trouble Johnathan Noone in the home goal. But  three goal blitz in eight minutes after the restart changed all that. In the opening minute a Shaun Doherty cross broke off a defender for Nathan Harkin to drill through a crowd of players. Two minutes later Odhran Kennedy poked home a Michael Henry cross from close range to double their lead. Then in the 53rd minute Noone parried a James Henry effort but Harkin was on hand to slot the loose ball home. Midway  through  the half the visitors were awarded a penalty for a handball and Kyle Harkin cooly converted . They completed the scoring from a Conor Gillen corner which  was headed  home by Stephen Burke.


Glengad United 1

Aileach FC 3

The visitors took an early lead after the home defence failed to clear and Caoimhin McFeely pounced to drill the ball home.  The home side tried to respond and went close when Terence Doherty beat a couple of defenders but shot over from the edge of the area.  Aileach increased their lead on 38 minutes after a fine through ball from Conor Barrow released Sean Downey to shoot low past Conlon. Glengad then got a goal  back after the restart  when a Joe Doherty corner found Seamus Doherty at the back post  to head home. But midway through the half the visitors made it three one when Conor Barrow despatched a  free kick from the edge of the area low to the  bottom corner past Conlon. Glengad went close late on with a Ryan McLaughlin effort cleared off the line.


Strand Hotel First Division

Culdaff FC 3

Carn Res 0

Culdaff started well and spurned a glorious chance on 11 minutes when Cathal McGrenaghan found Brendan McLaughlin inside the area but he was denied by the legs of Kyle Harkin. A McLaughlin free kick was then sidefooted wide  by the unmarked Michael Coyle at the back post. The home side then took the lead on 28 minutes after a Keith Norris cross from the left was brilliantly headed  home by Coyle from six yards. Carn replied with Tiernan Kelly heading the ball down for Nathan McConalogue who shot straight at Martin McLaughlin in the home goal. At the other end Brendan McLaughlin saw a twenty yards free just clear the bar. The game was in the balance  on the restart  with McLaughlins corner hammered into the side netting at the back post by Ryan Greene. Carn then had a great chance after Darragh Deery found Shay Fallon but he sidefooted over the bar from twelve yards.  The home side doubled their lead in the 74th minute when Coyle ‘s ball over the top found McLaughlin who finished superbly past Harkin from sixteen yards. The home side were on top at this stage and when Bryan McCandless found McLaughlin his deflected effort was brilliantly tipped over  by Harkin. Carn to their credit exerted a lot of pressure on the home defence and Dayton Cooke ‘s free flashed just wide. But the home side were more clinical and added a third goal when after good work from Ben Curley on the right his cross was guided home by Bryan McCandless from six yards.

Rashenny FC 0

Redcastle United 4

Redcastle started this game well and in the second minute a Marc Bell header from a corner was straight at Davin McLaughlin before the keeper also saved a Shaun Curran effort. They opened the scoring in the 24th minute when Josh McConellogue advanced on the left and fed the ball into Curran to slip it low to the net from six yards.  They continued to press and Bell then had another effort saved at the expense of a corner. Rashenny s first threat came when Gareth McKeever found Cormac Dillon on the left hand side of the area  but his shot was palmed away at full stretch by Michael McCole. Redcastle had the final chance of the half after Darragh McConway waltzed past a couple of defenders  but fired straight at the keeper. Redcastle added to their advantage in the 53rd minute after McConway found Grant on the edge of the area and he fired low past McLaughlin.  Rashenny tried to reply with Declan McLaughlins long range effort well held by McCole before McKeever advanced through the middle but shot over the bar. The visitor added a third on 64 minutes following a corner when McConway firedto the roof of the net from six yards and the  same player had another chance but was denied by the legs of McLaughlin. Rashenny then suffered another blow after Shane Gordon was red carded for retaliation. McKeever had another effort saved by McCole before he almost got on the end of substitute Aaron Cregans cross only for McCole to smother at his feet.Redcastle sealed the points and a deserved victory when Eamon Donnelly unmarked from a corner fired home from six yards. Redcastle substitute Ben Doherty had the final chance breaking clear from the home defence only to be denied by McLaughlin.


Dunree United 1

The visitors had the first chance but Jamie Brosnan headed wide when well placed midway through the first half. The home side then took the lead ten minutes later after Josh McLaughlin finished a low  Mark Murray cross past Adam Harrigan from ten yards.  The home side  doubled their lead before the interval when Adam Harkin played a great ball through for Seamus McFadden to finish well. Dunree tried to get back into the game in the second half but the home defence stood firm. QPS sealed the points with a third goal on 71 minutes after McFaddens cross was swept home by John McCluskey. Dunree kept pushing and scored a consolation late on with a Mark Moran effort defelcted past Conor O Neill in the home goal.

Aileach Res 2

Clonmany Res 1

There was an even start to this game with Stephen Doherty seeing an early effort saved by Conor McGonigle in the Clonmany goals while at the other end Jack Doherty collected a loose ball in midfield, advanced and unleashed an effort which was saved by Dylan Clarke.The home side broke the deadlock on the half hour with a brilliant individual goal. Kevin  Boyle collected the ball on the right and went on a mazy run past two defenders before slotting low past McGonigle from ten yards. Clonmany went close before the break with Gavin McDaid heading just over from a corner. As in the first half Aileach had the first goal threat on the restart with Doherty going close. Clonmany came more into the game and equalised on 66 minutes after good approach by Jack Doherty set up Conor Doherty to slot home from ten yards. They went close again with a Conor O Donnell snap shot drifting just wide.  But Aileach got a late winner when a Dylan McGrory cross was headed into his own net by an unfortunate defender. The home side had the last chance when Doherty raced clear but his low effort was blocked by the legs of McGonigle.

Greencastle Youth 0

Cockhill Youth 4

In the first league game of the season  Greencastle Youths hosted Cockhill at Chapel Glen and it was the visitors who were on top from the start.Cockhill took the lead midway through the half when a period of sustained pressure resulted in  Liam Bradley s twenty yards effort taking  a big deflection to go past Mason in the greencastle net. Ten minutes before half time Cockhill went  two up after a defensive error  allowed Liam Bradley to get his second with an easy finish. Cockhill  continued their dominance in the secondnd half and kept forcing Greencastle deeper. Cockhill  increased their lead after good pressure again forced Greencastle to lose the ball in their own half and Paul Mullan capitalized and finished smartly.Greencastle got the chance to reduce the deficit when good work from Christy Diver drew a tackle in the box and a penalty was given. Kyle Harkin stepped up but the penalty was saved with a brilliant dive into the corner by Eoin Colhoun in nets. Cockhill finished the game strongly and with five minutes to go Ryan McDaid pounced on a defensive mix up and rolled the ball into the net.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two 

Aileach Res 2

Moville Youths 4

In an entertaining game played in perfect conditions both Aileach and Moville played out a good quality game at Lakeside.Aileach took the lead on 20 minutes when Paul Eyre released Aaron Doherty who lobbed Stephen Teles from thirty yards. Moville started to dominate proceeding in the run up to half time with Shane Canning and Conor Radcliffe prominent. They got their rewards five minutes before the break when Daniel McFadden’s corner from the left was deflected into his own goal by an unfortunate defender. Moville took the lead on 50 minutes after a corner from the left was headed against the bar, Matuzi Indyka was quickest to the loose ball to fire past Dylan Clarke in the home goal.

Aileach equalised on the hour when Paul Eyre controlled a crossfield pass and slipped a ball through to Aaron Doherty who finished well into the bottom corner.Moville regained the lead moments later when another corner wasn’t cleared Evan Hudner forced the ball into the net from six yards. Moville completed the scoring was 10 minutes to go when a corner from the left was headed home by Daniel McFadden at the near post from ten yards.

Redcastle Res 6

Illies Res 4

Illies’ Oran Doherty had a long range shot which the Redcastle goalkeeper caught at the second attempt.  At the other end a  corner by Kealan Henry  saw a scramble  develop before the ball  was turned in by Gary Kelly to put the home side ahead.Illies levelled on 38 minutes when the home defence failed to clear a corner and  Keelan Whoriskey placed it to the right of the keeper .  But Redcastle regained the lead from the penalty spot with Henry converting after he himself had been fouled.

A few minutes later a Ben Faulkner shot from 25 yards narrowly went over the crossbar. Just before half time another 25 yard shot from Jason Lynch was too much trouble for the Illies’ goalkeeper making it three one  to Redcastle at the break.Illies’ start to the second half was as rapid as Redcastle’s end to the first. Conor Doherty scored from another scramble from a corner just after half time. A few minutes later Oran Doherty scored a penalty after a trip by a Redcastle defender in the box to leave it three three. A shot by Illies’ Oran Doherty  was tipped onto the crossbar by Redcastle goalkeeper and the ball fell to Martin Doherty who missed the rebound. On 70 minutes a failed Illies’ pass out from the back landed to Kealan Henry whose shot was heading into the  net off the goalkeeper’s glove only for a deliberate handball on the line by Illies’ Ronan Doherty who was subsequently sent off. Kealan Henry coolly slotted the penalty into the bottom left corner just beating the keeper who had gone the right way. They increased their lead again on 75 minutes after  a Redcastle ball over the top saw Kealan Henry round the keeper and cross it in for an easy finish for Mark Farren to make it five three . But Illies rallied and  Oran Doherty pulled one back in the 89th minute heading home from a free kick. Redcastle sealed the points in injury time after a clearance fell to Jason Lynch  who fired to the roof of the net from twenty yards. 

Cockhill COLTS 3

Rashenny RES 2

Cockhill started brightly and open the scoring when a Declan Kearney free kick was cleared to the edge of the box where Aidan O’Donnell collected and fired home.They doubled their lead when Kearney fired home from 25yds with a fine left foot strike.Rashenny rallied, with Calum Long forcing a good save from Declan Caldwell before they pulled a goal back when Creggan scored with a deft finish. Rashenny then  levelled matters just before half time when Keogh equalised from close range. Cockhill struck for what proved the winner when Shaun Donaghey struck from just inside the box.Rashenny had a great chance to equalise late on  after Brendan Grant was upended but Grant failed to convert the penalty.

Sea Rovers 3

Glengad Res 1

The first half of this local derby was a hard fought affair with defences on top and  neither keeper really troubled. Rovers had the best effort of the half on 33 minutes when Daniel Gallagher advanced from midfield and unleashed a twenty five yards effort but failed to test Michael McLaughlin in the Glengad goal. Glengad first effort on goal came in the 55th  minutes when the ball fell to Calvin White on the edge of the box and he shot low past the keeper to give the visitors the lead. Rovers held most of the possession and efforts from Conor Mc Closkey and Andrew Gallagher  were off target. Rovers Conor Mc Geoghaghan found some space in the Glengad box and tapped in from close range to get the home side back on terms. Rovers pressed hard for the second and a close effort by Andrew Gallagher was very well saved by Michael Mc Laughlin who tipped the ball onto the bar with the rebound falling to Conor Mc Closkey who finished from the six yard line A good bit of pressure from Rovers paid off when Andrew Gallagher took the ball from the left and evaded three defenders before slotting low past McLaughlin to seal the win.


Pictured is Andrew Mc Laughlin, Conor Mc Geoghan and Conor Mc Closkey Sea Rovers Goal scorers

Glengad Res

Rashenny ROVERS 1

QPS Youth 5

In the opening minute the visitors took the lead after Tommy McConnellogue crossed for Sean Og Gallagher  to slot low past Roger McGilloway. Rashenny replied with Michael Toland having a shot saved by Stephen Slattery before Keelan Doherty headed over. AT the other end Gallagher was then denied  by a superb Christy Ivers tackle before the same player advanced on the right and  fed the onrushing Dean Hegarty to blast to the roof of the net from twelve yards. Hegarty then added his second and QPS third goal running onto a long clearance before  sliding the ball past McGilloway. The home side continued to create chances with Shea Grant s free saved by Slattery before Grant was just wide with a glancing header. However after the home defence failed to clear Gallagher added a fourth with a low shot to the corner of the net in a crowded area. Rashenny ended the half strongly and Grant turned well in the box but fired wide before Toland had an effort cleared off the line by Aaron Barr. Rashenny got a goal back minutes after the restart when a Tyler McEleney cross was met with a superb diving header from Ivers to the bottom corner.Brian Devlin then had a header cleared off the line before another McEleney effort as saved by Slattery. But the visitors  added a fifth goal on 87 minutes when a diagonal ball found Alex Halovin who drilled  a low shot across McGilloway. Rashenny had the final chance when Ahapii Illia had a cross shot well gathered by Stephen Slattery.

Carrowmena FC 2

Culdaff Res 1

While Culdaff had slightly the better of possession they failed to convert that into goals. On 10 minutes Dermot Diver released Jack Curley whose deep cross found Ruairi Mclaughlin but his effort deflected off a defender and wide. Ten minutes later the home side responded with Paul McGowan cut in from the left and squared to Ronan Doherty to dink the ball over the advancing Patrick McLaughlin from twelve yards to put Carrowmena ahead. Carrowmena had another effort when Doherty went past a defender and from a tight angle saw his effort come off the far post. The home side got off to a great start when they doubled their lead on 51 minutes when Mark Doherty s diagonal ball from the right was controlled by Ronan Doherty before cutting inside a defender and drilling low to the net from fifteen yards. Midway through the half Michael Noone in the home goals made a brilliant point blank save to deny Billy Hume from six yards. Culdaff got a consolation in injury time when a free kick fell to Sonny Bonner whose first time cross found Diver to slot the ball low past Noone.

Dunree Res 1

Cockhill  RES 5

The visitors  started the better and took an early lead when Cathal McDaid converted after the home defence failed to clear. They added a second  catching the home side in a quick counter attack with Niall  Breslin racing clear and finishing well. Dunree rallied and reduced the deficit through David O Hagan  but Joe Lafferty restored Cockhills two goal cushion on the stroke of half time with a composed finish. Cockhill kept the pressure on and on 58 minutes made it four one with an excellent shot from outside the area by James Porter to the top corner. They completed the scoring late on after a flowing move ended with Lafferty applying a neat finish.