Match Reports Sunday 3rd October

Sunday  3rd October 

Jackie Crossan Premier Division  

Illies Celtic 2

Moville Celtic 2

The home side got off to a great start on 4 minutes after a David  Doherty cross was slammed home by Adrian Donaghey-Doherty from twelve yards past Seamus Houghton. 

The same player should have done better minutes later but he fired straight at Houghton when well placed. Moville levelled midway through the half when a short corner to Conor Doherty who laid off for Keelan Doherty and when Jonhathan Noone failed to collect his cross  the ball fell kindly for Michael McNaught to slot home. Illies upped the tempo and Liam Doherty burst past two defenders into the area but blazed over. The home side regained the lead when a Paul Doherty free was flicked on by David Doherty  for Dominic Doherty to blast home. Illies had a good chance after the break when Liam Doherty found Donaghey- Doherty in a great position but he scuffed his effort and Houghton gathered. Moville responded and when Keelan Doherty burst into the area he fired tamely wide when well placed.  Illies had a great chance then on 77 minutes after more great work by Liam Doherty down the right saw him pull the ball back to Donaghey – Doherty but he fired straight at Houghton. Moville snatched a point on 88 minutes after McNaught s corner was headed out to   Keelan Doherty on the edge of the area and his effort took a wicked deflection to wrongfoot Noone and earn a point.

Clonmany Shamrocks 0

Glengad United 5

Played in blustery conditions Glengad had the first opportunity when Terence Doherty seized on a loose clearance in the 12th minute but his shot from 20 yards out drifted to the right of Kieran Friel’s goals. Glengad took the lead in the 14th minute after Cathal McDaid crossed from the left and Stephen McLaughlin controlled the ball and blasted home from 12 yards out to the roof of the net past Kieran Friel. Stephen almost doubled Glengad’s lead in the 26th minute when Terence Doherty pulled a ball back to him at the edge of the Clonmany box but under pressure from Niall McLaughlin he pulled his shot wide. Clonmany conceded a penalty in the 34th minute when James McKinney was fouled in the box by Kieran Friel which James took ,shooting low to the bottom right hand corner of the net.The day was to get worse for Kieran Friel on the stroke of half-time, when he was adjudged to have caught the ball outside the box and he received a red card with Clonmany midfielder Aaron Harkin taking over in goals. The second half saw a re-jigged Clonmany hold a higher line, but the first opportunity of the half fell to James McKinney however his shot from the left of the box was well held by Clonmany’s stand-in keeper Aaron Harkin. Clonmany created a good chance in the 75th minute when Dean Harkin’s run down the left left him free to cross into the box where Jake Harkin’s header had Glengad goalie Michael McLaughlin scrambling but it went narrowly wide. Glengad made the game safe in the 78th minute after Conor Barrow was sent clear in the box and he drove a strong shot to the top corner past Aaron. As conditions worsened ,a quickfire double from Terence Doherty saw Glengad add to their score,first Conor Barrow sent him clear to finish low past Aaron in the 80th minute and then substitute Brandon Brown ran clear in the 85th minute but his shot was blocked and Terence was there to finish clinically . Clonmany went close to grabbing a consolation goal in the 89th minute when Dean Harkin  saw his shot from the edge of the Glengad box crash back off the Glengad crossbar.          


Cockhill Youths 3

Buncrana Hearts 7

Buncrana Hearts claimed the points today at Celtic Park Cockhill thanks to a 7-3 victory over a under strength Cockhill Celtic Youth. It was the home side who opened the scoring on 7 minutes when Odhran O’Brien-Daly rose highest at the back post to power an Adam McLaughlin corner from the right high to the net from six yards out with Eoghan O’Doherty having no chance. Buncrana levelled the game on 21 minutes when Bart Wesolowsk prodded home from eight yards out past Michael Owen Doherty in the home net after great work on the right by Paddy McMyler and Kieran McDaid. Buncrana went in front on 33 minutes when Kieran ‘Croc’ McDaid charged down a clearance inside the Cockhill area and the ball ended up in the unguarded net. Keith McColgan put the visitors three one  up on 39 minutes when he reacted fastest in the box to shot home from a tight angle from twelve yards on the left after Cockhills keeper Doherty saved with his leg down to his right from Paddy McMyler. Wesolowsk made in four to the visitors on the stoke of half-time when he found space on the left channel and advanced into the area before shooting low right footed to the far corner past Doherty.

Cockhill started the better of the two side in the second period and Shane Doherty broke clear into the box only for Eoghan O’Doherty to pull off a smart save pushing the ball away for a corner that was cleared by Ryan Doherty. Ryan Doherty then  made it five one to Buncrana on 60 minutes when he headed past Cockhill keeper Doherty from five yards after a left sided corner from Kieran McDaid. Cockhill pulled a goal back on 67 minutes when Shane Doherty scored from the penalty spot low to the keepers right after a foul on Jack McDaid inside the area. The home side then pulled a further goal back on 72 minutes after Adam McLaughlin shot high to the roof of the net past O’Doherty from twenty yards after great work down the left from Jack McDaid to set him up. The visitors closed the game out late on with two late goals. Firstly Aaron McDaid made it six three on 84 minutes with a side footed finished from twelve yards after a pass from Kieran McDaid. A spendid diving save from Cockhills Michael Doherty denied Stephen McHugh before young Gerry Gill scored at the back post for the visitors to make it 7-3. Cockhill had the final chance but Adam McColgan’s effort was saved on the line by Ryan Doherty with the keeper beaten. Cockhill fall to the first league defeat of the season and Buncrana claim their first win in an entertaining game.


Greencastle FC 7

Carn FC 2

In a lively opening Nigel McMonagle for the homeside saw an effort saved by Gavin McLaughlin while at the other end Dayton Cooke fired just over the bar from the edge of the area. The home side opened the scoring on 9 minutes after a Seamus McLaughlin shot was well parried by McLaughlin but the ball fell for McMonagle to swivel and fire to the net from fifteen yards. On 16 minutes Shea McLaughlin released Seamus McLaughlin and he drilled the ball low  to the corner  before McMonagle made it three after a superb finish when James Henry pulled the ball back to him.  Carn rallied and Christy McLaughlin forced a good save from Patrick Quigley, Cade Cooke failed to hit the target when well placed and Christy Diver shot over the bar. Greencastle made a blistering start to the second half and made it four nil on 47 minutes after Jack Coyle burst into the area and laid the ball back for McMonagle to drill home and complete his hat trick. But the visitors rallied and Christy McLaughlin played a one two with Cooke inside the area and slotted home. Minutes later they added another when Diver converted a penalty kick.  But Greencastle killed any hopes of a comeback on 65 minutes when Coyle found Shea Mclaughlin whose deep cross was slotted home by McMonagle for his fourth of the game. Kyle Harkin scored a superb sixth curling one into the top corner from the edge of the area before Henry  got on the end of McMonagles cross  late in the game to slot home.

Strand Hotel Division One   

Aileach RES 3

Redcastle United   0

An under strength visitors side battled well throughout and had their chances. Aileach started well with Darren McMonagle and Anthony Doherty both denied by Michael McCole before Doherty fired wide after a good one two with McMonagle.Redcastle replied and after Sean Curran collected a short corner his powerful effort was inches past the post from the edge of the area.On 32 minutes the home sides Gareth McElroy had a shot well saved low to his left by McCole. Redcastle s best chance of the half came when Jack Ferry ran onto a through ball but a heavy touch allowed Sean McGuinness to collect. Before the break Jordan McGeady beat two men but once again McCole saved well.  Aileach started the second half well and broke the deadlock on 49 minutes when Doherty fed McGeady who drilled a low shot into the bottom corner from twenty five yards. Minutes later it became two nil when Doherty’s strike took a massive deflection and wrongfooted McCole before nestling in the corner. Redcastle replied and midway through the half Cathal Crumlish and Curran both had efforts  saved by McGuinness. Aileach sealed the points on 83 minutes after  a wind assisted McMonagle corner evaded McCole and landed in the net.

Gleneely Colts 2

Clonmany RES 1

Gleneely started brightly and took the lead in the opening minutes when John Doherty nodded home at the back post from a Ben Miller corner. Clonmany threatened with Mark McLaughlin forcing a great save from Ciaran Gallagher. Clonmany forced a few corners in quick succession and Kevin Harkin prodded home at the back post at the seconnd attempt to make it  one all at the break. The second half was a mid field battle until Ben Miller forced a good save from Liam McGonigle and Paul Gambles rebound was cleared off the line to safety. Gleneely garbbed a winner on 85 minutes  when Ben Miller dispatched a 20 yards free quick low to Liam McGonigle’s right and into the bottom conrer. Clonmany we’re reduced to ten men when Pearce McCarron was sent off for yellow cards. In the dying seconds, Mickey Devlin had a chance to level but his attempted lob went narrowly over the bar and Gleneely held out for the hard fought three points.

Dunree United 5

Greencastle Youth 0

After an even opening period the home side gradually got on top and on 19 minutes Eoin Coombes pulled the ball back to Jerry Farrell but his effort just missed the top corner. Dunree broke the deadlock when Coombes saw his shot blocked but it fell kindly for Conor Barrett to give Dunree a deserved advantage. They added a second on 37 minutes after good work by Farrell saw him pull the ball back to Liam Baldrick and he finished well to the bottom corner. Farrell had the last chance of the half but was thwarted by a good save from the visiting keeper Paul Doherty .  Dunree continued to dominate on the restart and added a third on the hour after a Shaun Mulhern cross found Baldrick and he fired home his second. Two late goals from Farrell made the final score  five nil to the home side . Greencastle were denied a late consolation when a Ben Doherty effort was well tipped over the bar by Adam Harrington.

Culdaff FC 4

Glengad RES 2

With the wind advantage the home side started well but found the visitors defence with Mark Smith and Lee Kelly solid hard to break down. The first chance came on 14 minutes after a long throw in by JJ Doherty released Jack O Brien on the left and his effort was blocked by the legs of the advancing Patrick McLaughlin in the Glengad goal. On 20 minutes Kack McLaughlin flicked the ball past the Glengad keeper and from a very tight angle his effort was blocked behind by Smith. The home side did take the lead then on 24 minutes when Aidan Cunninghams corner was headed up in the air and Dillon Ruddy was on hand to volley home from close range. Glengad responded minutes later when  Nathan McConalogue had an effort parried by Puaric O Donnell before he recovered to turn Paul McGonigle’s effort around the post. From the corner the home defence failed to clear allowing Oran Doherty to head home.  The home side regained the lead on 33 minutes after Ryan Greene crossed from the left and Jack McLaughlin superbly flicked the ball into the top corner. Culdaff increased their lead on 55 minutes when Cunningham collected a clearance outside the area and found Ruddy on the left and his cushioned volley across the face of goal was headed home by McLaughlin for a superb goal. Glengad replied and had two good chances. Firstly McConalogue dragged an effort wide with a clear sight of goal from inside the area before the same player sliced wide on his weaker left foot after tremendous work from McGonigle to  dispossess a defender on the end line and pull the ball back. Culdaff responded well and McLaughlin was unlucky to see a shot crash off the bar while Ryan Greene also had a header bounce off the crossbar. They made it four one on 72 minutes after a brilliant back heel from McLaughlin released Cunningham whose initial shot was beaten away but he hammered the rebound home. Glengad scored a late consolation after Matthew Mooneys inswinging corner eluded all and landed in the net.

Donegal Signs Division Two Shield  

Clonmany Youth 2

Buncrana Res 6

Current league leaders Buncrana proved to be too strong for a youthful  Clonmany side at Shamrock Park in this cup tie. Buncrana got off to a dream start on 5 minutes after Arlen Doherty converted a penalty low to Eamon Reidys right after he had been upended. Clonmany responded and Niall McCarron bore down on goal  but Oran McBrde advanced smartly to save. The visitors took control then with Donald O Doherty firing straight at Reidy when well placed after a good build up. They added a second goal midway through the half when Eoin McNamee evaded a couple of challenges and slotted low past Reidy.  On 41 minutes Doherty broke on the right and unselfishly squared the ball for Hugh McGonagle to tap home. Within minutes it had become four nil after McNamee pounced on a loose ball to lob into the unguarded net. Clonmany replied on the stroke of half time and Sean McCarron unleashed an effort but McBride was equal to it. In the opening minute of the second half the visitors should have increased their lead after  Doherty blazed the ball over the bar from close range. Clonmany were unlucky at the other end when Tiernan McDonald crossed for Thomas Comiskey who controlled well but saw his shot cannon off the bar. On the hour mark Buncrana made it five nil when Doherty’s looping cross was slotted home at the back post by McGonagle. To their credit the home side rallied and reduced the deficit on 80 minutes after McDonald got on the end of a Gerard McDaid through ball and fired high past McBride. They got another goal minutes later when Ben Gill dropped a lovely pass into the path of Niall McCarron who controlled and fired low to the corner. But the visitors  hit back and made the scoreline six two when McGonagle broke on the left into the area before driving low past Reidy to complete his hat  trick. The home side had the final effort of note but McDonalds twenty yards free kick cannoned back off the bar.


llies Res 1

Aileach Youth 0

Aileach had the better of the opening half  and on 15 minutes Daibibh Grant had a low effort from the edge of the area well saved by Graham Doherty. They had another chance when Gareth McLaughlin unleashed another effort which Doherty managed to gather at the second attempt. Before the break Illies replied when in a crowded goalmouth Ronan Hegarty poked the ball goalwards but Ryan Fox saved as the half ended scoreless. Illies started the second  half better and on 53 minutes Shane Devlin saw a twenty yards effort clip the outside of the post. They had another chance after a Martin Coyle crossed from the left found Gavin Doherty but his effort  was turned round the post by Fox. Devlin had another shot saved by Fox before the home side struck for the winner on 80 minutes after Devlins cross from the right was headed home by Hegarty from ten yards. Aileach were awarded a penalty in the last minute after Kevin Wallace was pulled down but Aaron Doherty ‘s spot kick was brilliantly saved  by Doherty who recovered superbly to deny Benny  Hegarty ‘s follow up.


Cockhill Res 2

Sea Rovers 1

Sea Rovers took an early lead on 8 minutes when Andrew Gallagher pounced on a slack 

pass in the Cockhill defence and finished well under pressure past Cockhill keeper Eoin 

Colhoun. Conditions were difficult and few clear cut chances were created by either team 

until some late first half Cockhill pressure paid off forcing a number of corners and right on

half time Paul McKinney rose highest to head in from close range to square the match up 

at the break. The goal just on half time lifted Cockhill and within 5 minutes of the restart

Dean O’Donnell put the home team ahead.  Half time sub Niall Breslin was sharp and put

 the Sea Rovers defence under pressure early and the breaking ball fell to Dean O’Donnell

 25 yards out and he made no mistake with his first time effort into the roof of the net for

 his first senior goal.Sea Rovers responded positively and nearly equalised midway through

 the second half when Conor Kelly got in behind the Cockhill defence and forced a great 

save from Eoin Colhoun. Cockhill regained some control in the match after that chance. 


Rasheney RES 0

Carrowmena  FC 3

As expected the visitors dominated from the start with Adam Harkin having one early effort cleared off the line by Niall Devlin before seeing another saved by Roger McGilloway. They broke the deadlock in the 7th minute when Ryan McDermott broke on the right and crossed for the unmarked Michael Henry to slot home. Three minutes later they doubled their lead after Puaric Gillen fed Tony McClenaghan on the edge of the area and he hammered  past McGilloway to the corner. Midway through the half they breached the home defence again with Henry advancing on the left and crossing for McClenaghan to poke  home from close range. McGilloway then pulled off a great save to deny Harkin from point blank range. In the opening minute of the second half the visitors should have increased their lead after McClenaghan latched onto a ball over the top, rounded McGilloway but inexplicably fired over the bar with the goal gaping. The game developed into a midfield battle and the next chance did not arrive until 68 minutes when Carrowmena s Sean Diver unleashed an effort from the angle of the area which clipped the crossbar on the way over. The final chance also fell to the visitors after Gerard McLaughlin broke through the middle but McGilloway advanced to block with his legs.