Match Reports Sunday 3rd March

Inishowen Football League Reports  3rd March

FAI Junior Cup

Clonmel Celtic               0

Cockhill Celtic                2

The opening period of this game was a very tight affair with the home side having a couple of half chances comfortably dealt with by Harry Doherty. Cockhill settled and on 10 minutes Luke Rudden saw a header  at the back post saved.

The visitors took the lead then on 31 minutes when Rudden got on the end of a Lee McColgan cross to head the ball across for Jack Mullan to apply the finishing touch from close range. They went close again when Peter Doherty headed a Brendan Mclaughlin corner just over the bar. Before the break a Lee McColgan  shot was well tipped over the bar. Cockhill continued after the break to force the issue and Mclaughlins free kick was met with a glancing header from McColgan but the header lacked power. They added a second goal on 77 minutes when a McLaughlin free was dummied by McColgan and Rudden was on hand to sweep the ball home. After pressure from the home side Harry Doherty punched the ball clear to release Corey McBride who advanced and pulled the ball back to Garbhan Friel  who fired wide. Clonmel went more direct in the closing stages but Cockhill s defence stood firm and they advance to the semi finals and a trip to Limerick in April.


Jackie Crossan Premier Division

Greencastle FC               4

Carn FC                          0

The home side got off to a dream start in the third minute when Kyle Harkins deep cross from the left found Ruairi O’Donnell who looped a header over Daniel McDaid to the net. O’Donnell then had an effort saved before Carn replied with two efforts. Firstly cade Cooke had a free kick saved by Caolan McGrory before Liam McWeeney had a long range effort also saved. Greencastle increased their lead on 33 minutes when Christopher Diver won possession and a superb ball over the top sent Nigel McMonagle clear and he finished superbly. Carn were well in the game and Cade Cooke had two chances seeing a left footed effort saved before a speculative twenty five yards shot went over the bar. Cian Burke then bore down on goal but was denied by a smothering save. Before the break Harkin fired a free kick over and McMonagle weas denied by McDaid . Greencastle put the game to bed in the opening ten minutes when they added two goals. Firstly Michael Henry found Odhran Kennedy to slot home from six yards. Then McMonagle controlled well and went past two defenders before drilling low into the corner from twelve yards. James Henry then hit one on the half volley just wide before McMonagle fired into the side netting. Carn kept pushing forward with a dangerous Cooke cross eluding all before Ciaran O’Kane headed over and Cooke then fired wide when well placed.


Buncrana Hearts                      2

Clonmany Shamrocks              3

Clonmany started this game really well and a Jason Devlin cross was headed over by Jamie Coyle. Buncrana responded and spurned a great chance on 11 minutes when Aaron McDaid raced clear onto a Nathan McEneff through ball and his attempted lob came back off the bar. Clonmany stunned the home side when they took the lead on 15 minutes after a speculative Jason Devlin effort crept past Taylor Clarke. Clonmany were well in the game but it was the home side who created a number of chances. Matthew Brown had a volley saved by the legs of Friel before Eoin Murphy had an effort parried away. On 32 minutes a deflected James Adair cross was then scrambled clear by Friel. At the other end Clonmany went close following a Devlin corner which Gareth Bradley headed over the bar. The Hearts had the first chance of the second half on 55 minutes when substitute Kieran McDaids free fell to Murphy whose shot was deflected over the bar. Clonmany then doubled their lead on 66 minutes after a defensive lapse allowed Jamie Coyle to take a touch before drilling low past Clarke. This galvanised the home side and after a free kick fell to Murphy he drilled first time low past Friel. Jamie McDaid then spurned a clear opening lobbing over the bar with only Friel to beat. The home side did equalise when Kieran McDaids cross was superbly headed home by Aaron McDaid. Buncrana were on top now and were very unlucky to see Murphys twenty five yards effort crash off the post. Clonmany then broke and were awarded a penalty for hand ball with Alex Mc Fadden keeping his cool to convert. Despite pushing for the remaining minutes Clonmany held firm to cause a shock result and hinder Buncrana s title challenge in the process.



Ulster Junior Shield Quarter Final

Culdaff FC                            4

Dunree  United                  3

It was the visitors who began the better with Adam Barrett denied by a last ditch Jamie Mclaughlin tackle before a mark Doherty header was saved by Patrick McLaughlin. Culdaff settled and when Brendan Mclaughlin found Michael Coyle his effort was brilliantly saved by Philip Doherty. The home side went close again after an Aiden Cunningham cross was headed narrowly over by Noel McLaughlin. Doherty then in the Dunree goal produced heroics to deny Coyle and Cunningham twice in succession on 37 minutes. Somewhat against the run of play Dunree then opened the scoring when after hesitancy in the home defence Adam Barretts deep cross was headed home by Doherty. Culdaff started the second half well and equalised after a Euan McFeely cross was headed home by  Coyle. The home side then took the lead after a good move ended with a Keith Norris cross bundled over the line by Brendan McLaughlin.  But Dunree replied instantly with an audacious thirty yards strike from Liam Baldrick sailing to the roof of the net. The home side had the next chance then with Coyle heading a Cunningham corner just over the bar.The game became scrappy with the home side ever so slightly on top and after a cheeky back heel from Mclaughlin found substitute jack O’Brien he blazed over from twelve yards. Culdaff regained the lead on 81 minutes after a brilliant ball over the top from Coyle found O’Brien in space and when his effort was saved by Doherty the rebound as smashed home by Mclaughlin. Culdaff struck again a minute later with Norris’s cross headed home by McLaughlin to complete his hat trick. But Dunree rallied again and made it four three when Marc Doherty converted from close range after the home defence failed to clear.  But the home side saw the game out to advance to the semi finals.


Dunree United

Donegal Signs Challenge Cup

Aileach FC                            4

Redcastle United               4          AET  Redcastle win 4.3 on pens

First division leaders Redcastle caused a mini cup upset when they disposed of premier division Aileach at Lakeside. With 10 minutes on the clock, Redcastle took the lead after a free kick wide right was turned into his own net by an unfortunate  Aileach defender. Midway through the half Redcastle doubled their lead when Eamonn Donnelly broke down the right and crossed for Darragh McConway to head home from six yards. The home side pulled a goal backin the 40th minute with  Michael McElroy broke down the right and ran along the bye line before finishing from a narrow angle past Michael McCole. On the hour Redcastle got a third when Sean Curran converted from the penalty spot after Mark Farren was fouled in the box. But with ten minutes left Gavin Doherty reduced the deficit when he capitalised on a scramble in the box to fire home from twelve yards. The home side were reduced to 10 men at this stage but grabbed an unlikely equaliser on the stroke of full time after Reece McGilloway fired an unstoppable shot from twenty yards high passed McCole to send the game to extra time. In the first period of extra time Gavin Doherty converted a penalty only for Josh McConnologue to level matters with three minutes remaining of the second period. Redcastle eventually gained a place in the next round after winning  the penalty shootout on a four three scoreline.


Redcastle United



Strand Hotel First Division

Aileach Res                          4

Cockhill Youths                  4

The visitors started this game well and took the lead on 7 minutes when Liam Bradley played a neat one two with Darragh McDermott on the edge of the area before sliding the ball low past Dylan Clarke. It got better for Cockhill midway through the half when a Conor McDaid cross was sidefooted to the top corner by Ruan McDaid. But Aileach got a goal back on the stroke of half time  after a Dillon McGrory corner was punched out by Dean O’Donnell but Emmet McCarron was on hand to slot home.  A defensive slip in the 65th minute allowed Shane Mclaughlin to fire Cockhill three one ahead. Again the home side reduced the deficit after keeper O’Donnell’s clearance from the edge of the area fell to Stephen Doherty who fired the ball over the stranded keeper from all off fifty yards. But within two minutes Cockhill restored their two goal lead with Mclaughlin heading home a right wing cross.Aileach would not give up and made it four three in the 80th minute when James Wallace released Anthony Doherty  to slot low past O’Donnell from fifteen yards. The home side then salvaged a share of the spoils in identical fashion with  Wallace again releasing the veteran Doherty to cooly slot home.


Clonmany Res                     0

Buncrana Res                      1

The visitors had the best of the opening half and created the first chance after Liam Duncan released Eoin McNamee but his effort was well saved by Killian McCarron. Clonmany responded and when Jack Doherty swung in a long free kick it just eluded the outstretched leg of Thomas Comiskey. Buncrana upped the tempo then with Stephen McBride seeing an effort tipped over the bar by McCarron. Before the break the visitors broke quickly from a Clonmany corner and when McNamee cut inside a defender his angled  effort was well off target. There was more action in the second half and on 49 minutes a Michael Doherty corner was headed over by Seannan Murphy for the visitors.At the other end a Lorcan McGonigle cross found Tiernan McDonald who could only manage to divert the ball past the post. The best chance of the game came in the 55th minute after a looping cross from McNamee sailed over McCarron but McBride sliced his effort wide of a gaping goal. Clonmany hit back and had an equally good chance after good interplay sent McDonald clear through the middle but his effort was turned around the post by Eoghan O’Doherty. As play swung from end to end Comiskey turned well but fired wide for the home side while McNamee fired straight at McCarron from the edge of the area. The break through came for the visitors in the 84th minute when McNamee s cross found substitute Andrew Rodden who headed firmly past McCarron. The home side almost snatched an equaliser when a ben Gill cross was flicked onto the crossbar by O’Doherty in the final minute.


Carn Res                               1

Rashenny  FC                      2

It was Rasheeny who started the game on the front foot and after just fourminutes Damien Friel headed wide from close range when well placed. Again Rasheeny came close when Declan McLaughin fired a volley wide from a tight angle. Carn took a while to get going but had a good chance to take the lead after twenty minutes. A low cross from Shay Fallon flew across the face of goal and to the back post where Dayton Cooke hit the post from a tight angle. Unlike the first half, the second half started with Carn on the front foot and just two minutes into the second half they opened the scoring. A long cross field ball was taken down brilliantly by Shay McDaid who knocked the ball over the fullback and volleyed his shot low past Gavin McLaughlin in the Rashenny goal. Rashenny got an equaliser just minutes later when a long free kick was headed in by Anthony Doherty who squeezed his header past Kyle Harkins far post. With the game in the balance both sides looked for a winner with efforts from Dayton Cooke and Shay Fallon coming close for the home side and a Declan McLaughin effort was well saved by Carn keeper Harkin to keep the score level. With just ten minutes to go Rashenny made a  quick break which caught the Carn defence out. The ball fell to Rashenny winger Declan McLaughin who cut inside and curled his effort low past Harkin to give Rasheeny  the lead . Carn threw everything at Rasheeny and thought they had a very strong shout for a penalty but the appeal was waved away. Rasheeny defended their lead well and took all three  points in a tight contest.



Inish Grass Shield Quarter Final

Sea Rovers               0

QPS Youths              1                      AET

There was a good tempo  to the opening period of this game but the first real chance fell to QPS when Sam Mc Corkell had a fine strike denied by Rovers keeper Mark Mc Laughlin. A good break by Rovers on the half hour mark saw Connor Kelly set up Andrew Gallagher whose shot went just wide of the post . The remainder of the half saw defences on top and no chances at either end. The home side took the game to QPS on the restart and a fine cross in by Connor Mc Closkey was hit by Declan Mc Gonagle whose shot went just wide. A well struck ball by Rovers Ciaran Doherty was then well saved by Stephen Slattery in the QPS nets. Little chances for both sides with defences working hard and the game forced into extra time. QPS were quick off the mark when a long ball in fell to the feet of Oisin Burke who slotted in past the keeper . In the second period a good run by Rovers Joey Holland set up Liam Gallagher whose shot went straight across the goal line and out. A last gasp effort by Rovers Ciaran Doherty went just over the bar as the visitors held out to advance to the semi finals.


Inishowen Engineering Division Two A

Redcastle Res                     1

Gleneely Colts                    4

Redcastle started well and went close when a Gary Kelly shot from twenty  yards hit the post and went wide. They went close again after 20 minutes when Caolan Henry’s shot from  was brilliantly saved by Ciaran Gallagher low down to his right. Redcastle were made to pay for their missed chances when Gleneely took the lead in the  40th  minute after  Billy McCanns cross was slotted into the net by Shane Diver from 1tenyards. It got worse for the home team on the stroke of half-time when Christian McColgan fired home after beating two defenders for a fine goal. Redcastle started the second half well and scored on the 47th minute when Darren Harkins pass sent Gary Kelly through and he hammered the ball low into the net from twenty yards giving keeper  Gallagher no chance.  Gleneely settled again and went three one ahead on the hour mark  when Billy McCann was brought down in the penalty area, Paul Doherty converting the spot kick. At the other end  Redcastle went close again when Lennon McLaughlins shot from fifteen yards brought another fine save from Gallagher in the Gleneely net.  Five minutes from the end Gleneely wrapped it up when a mix up in the Redcastle defence let Matthew Doherty in for a simple tap in in the open net.



Culdaff Res                          2

Cockhill Res                         1

In a tight contest defences were on top for long period and there were few chances throughout.The home side opened the scoring midway through the first half when Billy Hume ‘s corner was headed to the roof of the net by Sonny Bonner. They increased their lead in the 65th minute when Hume advanced on the left hand side and crossed for Niall Mclaughlin to sidefoot home from ten yards.  Cockhill rallied and reduced the deficit after a defensive lapse allowed Niall Breslin to fire past Odhran Douglas. Cockhill pushed hard in the closing stages forcing a few corners but could not salvage a point.



Cockhill Colts                      3

Aileach Youths                   5

In an entertaining game the visitors made the better start and broke the deadlock in the 10th minute when an Eddie McIntyre corner was headed past Graham Doherty by Cormac Ferguson. In the 15th minute a through ball from Ryan Wilson found Charlie Campbell who fired past Doherty to increase the lead.Cockhill rallied and reduced the deficit when Gavin Doherty ‘s cross was headed home by Aiden O’Donnell. But two goals from Paul Eyre saw  the home side lead four one at the break. Firstly Eyre ran onto a McIntyre pass through the middle before slotting past the advancing Doherty. Then he gained possession on the right cut inside a defender and chipped the stranded Doherty. Cockhill started the second half well and got a goal back when O’Donnell converted a penalty low past Joshua Doherty after he had been upended. Midway through the half Mark Gillespie despatched a fine effort from twenty yards low into the bottom corner to reduce the deficit to the minimum. But Aileach sealed the points when Aaron C Doherty s pinpoint cross was headed home by Campbell.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two B

Rashenny Res                     1

Dunree Res                          1

The home side began well and when Aiden Hirrell and Caylum Long combined well the latter fired wide when well placed. Ryan Wilson the played a ball over the top for Hirell but again he failed to hit the target.The home side had another chance before the break when Kyle McGilloway unleashed an effort which Oran Doherty parried but the keeper recovered to save superbly from Long.  In the opening minute of the second half Dunree took the lead with paddy Doherty firing a free kick over Callum Doherty to the roof of the net. Rashenny rallied and got back on terms in the 56th minute when after a shot from Long was turned round the post from the resultant corner the unmarked Liam Grant headed home. Defences were on top then until the 81st minute when the home side spurned a great chance to clinch all three points after Shea Grant headed over Long’s pinpoint cross.

Rashenney Reserves

Dunree Reserves


Moville Res                          1

Carrowmena FC                 2

Moville started the brighter and Marty McGonigle had two chances saved by Michaell Noone in the visitors goal.Carrowmena took the lead in the 18th minute when they were awarded a penalty for hand ball with Ryan McDermott sending keeper Bourke the wrong way from the spot. Both teams squandered chances in the second half but all the action arrived in the final ten minutes.  On 82 minutes Ronan Doherty collected possession on the left touchline and advanced into the area before slipping the ball past Bourke to put the visitors two ahead. Moville rallied and reduced the deficit when Conor Lafferty flicked on a cross for Danny Murphy to slot into the bottom corner. Moville pushed hard for an equaliser but the visitors defence stood firm to keep their title hopes alive.


Rashenny ROVERS            0

Glengad Res                        3

Glengad dominated the opening half of this game but had to wait until the 28th minute to open the scoring when PJ McDaid converted a Caolan McColgan cross at the back post. They doubled their advantage before the break when McColgan pounded on a mis placed back pass to drill the ball low to the corner. Rashenny came more into the game on the restart but failed to create any clear chances. Glengad looked the more dangerous to add to their tally and Brendan Doherty had a header from a Paul McGonigle corner well saved by Roger McGilloway. Glenagd sealed the points in the 69th minute when John McDaid headed home McGonigles cross to make the final score three nil to the visitors.