Match Reports Sunday 3rd December

Inishowen Football League Reports  3rd December

Ulster Junior Cup

Buncrana Hearts 2

Bonagee United 1

An understrength home side dominated this tie in the opening half but failed to convert some good chances. In the opening minute a Conor Doherty cross found Jamie McDaid but his effort was blocked.

  McDaid then broke on the left and  crossed for Shaunie Bradley but his header drew a superb save from John Carr. Bradley then fired over under pressure from a defender before their best chance came midway through the half. Doherty broke on the left andcrossed to Bradley whose header came off the bar and fell for Kian McGarvey who somehow fired over.On the stroke of half time Kieran McDaids free saw another header from Bradley saved by Carr.The home side took the lead in the 53rd minute after a James Adair cross picked out Christy McKinley and his effort was deflected wide. From the corner Kieran McDaid fed Adam Curran and his cross was bundled home by Bradley.Bonagee tried to respond with Dan O Donnell firing over from twenty five yards. They forced an unlikely equaliser  on the stroke of full time when O’Donnell despatched a superb twenty five yards free past the wall and into the bottom corner of Taylor Clarkes goal.But Buncrana immediately responded and good interplay between Kevin O Loughlin and McDaid released Curran whose cross was powerfully headed home by Jamie McDaid to send the home side through.


Moville Celtic 1

Glengad United 2

The first chance did not arrive until the 20th minute and it fell to the visitors when Christy McLaughlins cross was headed wide by John G McLaughlin when well placed. Terence Doherty then saw an effort tipped over the bar by Stephen Teles before at the other end Andrew McCarron went close with a free kick for the home side.On the stroke  of half time Glengads Ryan McLaughlin broke away but his effort was blocked by the legs of Teles. McLaughlin then had the first chance of the second period when he broke clear on the left but fired across goal and past the far post. Against the run of play the home side took the lead midway through the half. Ryan McColgan despatched a penalty kick low to the corner after Norbert Indyka had been upended. Glengad replied positively to this set back and Ryan McLaughlin headed wide when he should have hit the target. They equalised in the 75th minut after John G Mclaughlin played a one two with Terence Doherty and advanced to fire low past Teles from twelve yards. Glengad dominated extra time and took the lead five minutes in with a brilliant strike to the top corner from the edge of the area by Christy McLaughlin. The visitors substitute Stephen McLaughlin had two late chances but was denied on both occasions by good saves from Teles.

Goalscorers Ryan Mc Colgan Moville, J.G. Mc Laughlin and Christy Mc Laughlin Glengad

Moville Celtic

Glengad United

Greencastle FC 0

Cockhill Celtic 3

Cockhill started well with Adam McLaughlin cutting inside but off target with his effort before a lee McColgan free was blocked by a defender. Greencastle replied and were out of luck when Brennan Moore fed Seamus McLaughlin who broke clear rounded keeper Harry Doherty on the edge of the area but saw his effort cleared off the line. Cockhill then broke the deadlock with an inswinging McColgan corner headed past William O Carroll by Garbhan Friel. Five minutes later a McLaughlin free kick was headed home by Peter Doherty from ten yards to double the visitors lead. Almost from the kick off Cockhill broke again with Corey McBride on the right advancing into the area and drilling a superb low shot to the far corner. The home side tried hard and Moore fired over from the  edge of the area before a corner fell to Jamie McCormick but his effort was cleared.On the restart the visitors had effort from Friel blocked and McColghan headed over the bar. Greencastle responded with McLaughlin shooting over from the edge of the area before Michael Henry had an effort deflected wide and from the corner Odhran Kennedy headed narrowly wide. Cockhill had the final chance when Liam Grant raced clear of the home defence but his effort was blocked by the legs of O’Carroll as Cockhill advance.


Carn FC 1

Aileach FC 0

This was a close hard fought encounter with defences on top and a lot of the play in the midfield sector. The home side started the better without troubling the visitors defence and as the half wore on the visitors  came more into the contest but the first half ended scoreless. On the restart Aileach were on top and on 55 minutes  Aaron Nash  raced onto a ball over the top but blazed over the bar. Ten minutes later Nash pounced on a defensive slip but failed to hit the target when well placed.  Carn came well into the game in the last fifteen minutes forcing a numerous succession of corners. From the final corner Jamie Dohertys cross was headed home by Kyran Cantwell to break the deadlock in the 77th minute. Aileach psuehd 


Jackie Crossan Premier Division

Clonmany Shamrocks 2

Illies Celtic 0

Early Illies pressure with Dominic Doherty and Shaun McCallion prominent on the left was dealt with by the home defence. Clonmany gradually took control of the game with a Matthew Brennan cross just evading the inrushing Jason Devlin and Jamie Coyle. A succession of corners then ended with the unmarked Jake Harkin heading over the bar when he should have done better. The home side took the lead in the 27th minute when a Conor Bradley long ball was flicked on by Coyle to Matthew McLaughlin  who controlled and drilled a low shot which deflected off a defender past Johnathan Noone. Illies came back into the game before half time without creating a clear chance. Illies had the first opportunity of the second half when Paul Doherty hooked an effort just over from twenty two yards. Clonmany then had a chance when Aaron Porter broke free on the left and unleashed an effort which Johnathan Noone saved well. Illies then forced a couple of corners with Paddy Curran heading one over before another came off a defender and over the bar. At the other end Jake Harkin had two efforts for the home side hooking one over Noone who recovered to gather while he then saw a header crash off the bar from Porters corner. A minute later Illies almost grabbed an equaliser with substitute Brendan Grants effort superbly tipped over by Kieran Friel. Clonmany broke from this and Brennan  fed Shane McCaul on the left whose mazy run into the area ended when he slid the ball past Noone to the far corner. Clonmany had the final chance after substitute Morgan Murrays free came off the wall to Paddy Doherty who fired inches wide.


Strand Hotel First Division

Culdaff FC 6

Clonmany Res 1

The home side started well and an Aiden Cunningham cross was headed just wide by Brendan McLaughlin.They opened the scoring in the 16th minute after Aiden Cunningham emphatically converted a penalty past Cillian McCarron after McLaughlin was upended in the area. Clonmany hit back with a Lorcan McGonigle free turned around the post by Patrick McLaughlin. Culdaff blitzed the visitors with two goals in as many minutes around the half hour. Firstly Sean O Neill powerfully headed home Cunninghams corner. Within a minute Cunningham and McLaughlin combined well in midfield before releasing Keith Norris who advanced and drilled a superb effort in off the post. O Neill then broke forward and unleashed a good effort but was narrowly off target. Clonmany got back into the game on the stroke of half time after McGonigle  fed Tiernan McDonald who placed a low shot into the far corner.Culdaff upped the tempo after the restart and made it four one when another pinpoint Cunningham cross found the unmarked Peter Doherty who steered his header in off the post. On 65 minutes McLaughlin slid the ball superbly into the path of Jack O Brien who cooly lifted the ball over McCarron. O’Brien then added another goal in the 75th minute  when  he sidefooted home another superb cross from Cunningahm.


Clonmany Reserves


Dunree United 3

Redcastle United 4

The league leaders Redcastle opened the scoring in the 12th minute after the unmarked Darragh McConway headed home from close range. McConway then doubled the lead with a superb shot from twenty five yards five minutes later. Midway through the half the visitors made it three nil after Shaun Curran drilled low to the bottom corner from the edge of the area.Dunree rallied and got a goal back before the break with Cian Moran feeding Bernie Doherty to round the advancing Michael McCole and slot home.The home side started the second half well and when Sean McColgan latched onto a poor back pass he was denied by McCole. The home side got back into the game and reduced the deficit to the minimum when Ryan Bradleys ball over the top released  McColgan who made no mistake from twelve yards. But Redcastle restored their two goal lead after McConway won possession and released Curran to fire home his second of the game. Again Dunree pulled a goal back in the 88th minute when Adam Barrett scored with a superb volley. Dunree pushed hard for an equaliser but the visitors defence stood firm.


Aileach Res 1

Greencastle Youths 1

The home side spurned a good early chance when Pol McGrory blazed over when well placed twelve yards out.At the other end Christy Hegarty was just off target with a well struck free. Greencastle broke the deadlock on the half hour after Jamie Boyle ran through the home defence and lifted the ball over David McGeady from six yards. Hegarty went close again with another excellent free kick. But on the stroke of half time the home side levelled matters with  David Healy controlling a cross before firing past Evan Davenport. Greencastle had the first opportunity of the second half but  Kyle Harkin fired straight at McGeady. At the other end after a goalmouth scramble Tom Doherty blazed over from six yards.Aileach ended the game on top and Healy headed a Josh Boyle cross wide before Boyle broke clear of the visitors defence only for Davenport to advance and smother as the game ended all square.



Cockhill Youths 1

In an entertaining game the home side broke the deadlock in the 12th minute after Daniel McMenamin released  John McCluskey to slot home from fifteen yards. Cockhill rallied and got back on terms before the break after Darragh McDermott turned well inside the area before shooting low past Conor O’Neill to the corner.The second half  did not explode into action until the 75th minute when McDermott was  denied by a brilliant save from O’Neill. The point then had a late chance to win the game but mark Murray headed over as both teams had to settle for a share of the spoils.

Inish Grass  Division Two Shield 

Culdaff Res 2

Illies Res 3

Played in dry but very cold conditions on Saturday night defences were on top in the opening twenty minutes.Illies were first to threaten when Shane Devlin unleashed a powerful effort just wide of the mark from twenty yards. On the half hour the visitors opened the scoring with Oran Doherty nipping in behind the home defence and superbly lobbing the advancing Odhran Douglas from outside the area. Culdaff replied with Tiernan McGeoghaghan heading a Ruairi McLaughlin free over. But Illies regained control and Mickey Grant fired wide before  on the stroke of half time the unmarked Shay McCarron headed home Marty Coyles corner to double their advantage.Culdaff started the second half well with a Conor McColgan effort clipping the bar. The home side reduced the deficit on 63 minutes when Dermot Diver converted a penalty after Noel McLaughlin had been  fouled. They got back on terms on 75 minutes when after superb play by McGeoghaghan who released Billy Hume but he was upended and  veteran defender Diver converted his second penalty passed Conor Doherty in the Illies goal. However hesitancy in the home defence minutes later allowed Illies to regain the lead with Oran Doherty finishing low to the bottom corner. The home side tried hard to salvage a point but the visitors defence stood firm.


Aileach Youths 3

Dunree Res 0

Aileach started the brighter in the cold conditions and almost took the lead on 10 minutes when Aaron Clarke Doherty raced through but Jamie Doherty got down well to save. Five minutes later Aileach did take the lead when a Paul Eyre corner from the right was flicked on by Kelan Doherty for Cormac Ferguson to force home from six yards. Dunree grew more into the game after this setback and started to get on top in the middle of the field with Neil Moran prominent. Dunree capitalised on some poor passing but could only force long range efforts on the Aileach goal that Joshua Doherty dealt with comfortably.  

Fifteen minutes into the second half, Aileach doubled their lead when Doherty raced down the right and crossed for Ciaran Bradley to hammer home from ten yards past substitute Philip Doherty.  Aileach completed the scoring with twenty minutes to go when Paul Eyre raced clear and scored at the second attempt after Doherty had made a great save from his first attempt.  Dunree pushed for a consolation but found Ferguson and Matthew McDermott in the home defence a hard nut to crack.


Cockhill Res 1

Gleneely Colts 5

League leaders Gleneely proved too strong for the young Cockhill side and  they got off to the perfect start inside the first few minutes when Billy McCann fired an unstoppable shot into the top corner from twenty  five  yards past Lee McColgan.For the rest of the half it was an even, entertaining match without too many clear cut chances for either side.

But on the stroke of half time Gleneely doubled their lead. Billy McCann with his second as his clever run in behind was picked out by Shane Diver and he showed good composure to slot the ball past Lee McColgan.The scoreline was a bit harsh on the young Cockhill side at the break and they made a lively start to the second half however, despite dominating the early exchanges they found themselves three down after a lapse in concentration at the back allowed Ryan Tabbitt time to rifle home from the edge of the box.Cockhill kept pushing and gained a way back in to the match pulling a goal back shortly after that setback, Cahir McDaid found Niall Breslin in the box, who turned well to finish low past Gleneely keeper, Adrian Duffy.With Cockhill pushing on for another in the latter stages they were caught on the counter, Shane Diver getting though on goal and rounding the keeper to fire home from a tight angle.

Gleneely put some gloss on the scoreline in the final minute with Matthew Doherty heading home a Tristan McColgan corner.

Cockhill Reserves

Gleneely Colts


Moville Res 4

Carrowmena FC 2

The visitors took an early lead in this local derby after Ryan McDermott latched onto a ball over the top before shooting low past Vernon Kelly from fifteen yards. But the home side levelled in the 11th minute after a Conor Radcliffe cross  was parried by Michael Noone as far as Danny Murphy who fed Luke McFadden to slot home from close range. Radcliffe then got in behind the Carrowmena defence but Noone saved well. Moville then took the lead on 34 minutes after Marcus Rule beat a man and crossed for McFadden to head home. They had the last chance of the half then with Matheus Indyka going on an overlapping run and unleashing an effort but Noone was equal to it.An early Indyka cross in the second half found Murphy but he fired over. Against the run of play Carrowmena equalised in the 51st minute with McDermott running onto a ball over the top and finishing low past Kelly. Moville upped the tempo and a Rule cross just eluded Murphy at the back post. They regained the lead when Indykas cross was met on the volley by McFadden to complete his hat trick.They sealed the points after Jack Lee split the visitors defence for McFadden to cross to Reece Gillen who fired past Noone.Carrowmena tried to respond with an Ivan Smith effort saved by Kelly. The home side then had the final chance with substitute Puaric McHenry racing clear only to be denied by the advancing Noone.


QPS Youth 2

Redcastle Res 2

In the early exchanges Keelan Harkin fired just over for the visitors while at the other end a Sean McIvor twenty five yards effort was turned around the post by Oisin Quigley. The home side then took the lead after Marc Wallace latched onto a goal kick before driving into the area and calmly slotting home. The home side doubled their lead just after the break when Wallace pounced on a poor back pass and drilled low past 

Quigley. But the visitors got back into the contest on 70 minutes when after good play from Oisin Sweeney he fed Darragh Harkin to fire past Stephen Slattery from five yards. The visitors then salvaged a point in the 85th minute when Gary Kelly held the ball up before turning a defender and smashing the ball to the roof of the net.