Match Reports Sunday 30th Oct

Ulster Junior  Cup ulster

Lagan Harps                 2

Culdaff FC                     4

For the second season in a row Culdaff scored a victory away to Lagan mainly due to a superb Brendan McLaughlin hat trick and will travel to QPS in the next round. Lagan took the lead when Kenny Doran ran on to slot past Darragh McLaughlin with the visitors appealing for offside. Culdaff equalised on 26 minutes when Brendan McLaughlin converted a penalty awarded a penalty for handball. McLaughlin then ran on to a Michael Coyle flick to slot low past Damien McEvoy. McLaughlin then made it three one and completed his hat trick when he raced onto a Paul McLaughlin pass to round the keeper and slot home.  Lagan reduced the deficit on 59 minutes when Chris McGlanaghy pounced after the visitors defence failed to clear and drilled home from six yards. But Culdaff sealed the tie on 87 minutes after Darren Mullarkey broke on the left and fed Noel Mclaughlin whose cross was met by a volley from Michael Coyle from eight yards for a superb team goal. McLaughlin made a brilliant point blank save in the final minute to deny Doran and seal the win.

St Catherines                         4

Clonmany Shamrocks           1

Clonmany took an early lead after Jason Devlin collected a Paul McLaughlin clearance in his stride and when his first effort was blocked by Shane O Gara he lifted the rebound to the roof of the net. But the home side levelled within minutes when Dan Breslin turned two defenders and picked his spot past Kevin Harkin. Breslin then had two great chances but Kevin Harkin made a brilliant one handed save to tip a header over before Breslin drove wide when very well placed. They took the lead on 32 minutes after Paul McFadden got on the end of a long ball to fire a half volley to the net with harkin stranded. Before the break Clonmany’s Mark Mclaughlin had another good effort saved by the impressive O’Gara.The home side made it three one on 54 minutes when good work by Ryan Farrell saw him finish well from fifteen yards. Farrell controlled a clearance from the keeper and then fired to the roof of the net from thirty yards with a brilliant dipping strike. Clonmany threw men forward and mark McLaughlin was twice denied by excellent saves from O Gara before Aiden Friel looked all set to score but a defender saved the day with a stunning block.

Bonagee United                    0

Glengad United                     3

Played on Saturday night  Glengad bossed the game early on and first chance came on 10 minutes when  Terance Doherty was fouled in the box but Adam Byrne’s penalty was saved by keeper John Carr low to his left and cleared for a corner. Glengad missed another couple of good chances before half time as the game ended scoreless. Poor finishing and  dogged defending by the home side kept Glengad at bay until the 65th  minute when Shane Canning  fired  low to the bottom corner from twenty yards to break the deadlock. Glengad made the game safe on 80 minutes when Terance Doherty raced clear  unselfishly setting up Mark Smith to score. Doherty then got the third on the stroke of full time cutting in from the left to score from just inside the box to complete a comfortable win.

Buncrana Hearts          2

Keadue Rovers            1

Keadue started this game well and almost caught out home keeper Corey Wilson when attempting to play out but his defence came to the rescue. Buncrana settled and Stephen McHugh flashed an effort just over the bar  before great work by Eoin Murphy on the left saw him feed Christopher McKinley but his effort was saved. The home side did take the lead on 29 minutes after Robbie Fullerton played a great ball into Murphy to fire low to the corner from twelve yards past Hugh Boyle. But Keadue got back on terms on the stroke of half time when hesitant defending allowed Donal Rodgers to fire past Wilson.Buncrana started the second period well and McHugh fired inches over the bar from twenty five yards. But Keadue had a great twenty minute spell from the hour mark and went close on three different occasions with efforts from Rodgers and two from Danny Boyle. Buncrana substitute Neil Harkin instigated the winner when he fed McHugh whose superb pass found Declan Fullerton to slot home from six yards and seal the Hearts progress.

Illies Celtic                    3

Convoy Arsenal            2

In a lively opening both Michael Coyle for the home side and Anto Boyle for the visitors fired efforts just over the bar. Illies then broke the deadlock midway through the half when John P Donaghey headed a Dominic Coyle corner to the roof of the net.  But Convoy equalised almost immediately when the ball broke inside the area to Boyle who fired low through a crowd of players to the net. They then took the lead on 33 minutes after a Dave Harvey cross deflected of a defender and into his own net. Illies upped the tempo and before the break Chris O Donnell in the Convoy goal made two stunning g saves to deny Kevin O’Loughlin on both occasions. Minutes after the restart O Donnell was on hand again to block Coyle’s effort with his legs. Illies kept pressing and equalised on 70 minutes when O’Loughlin headed a deep free from Dominick Doherty to the roof of the net. They then took the lead again on 77 minutes when Stephen Doherty cut the ball back from the byeline for Donaghey to slot home from six yards. Convoy threw everything forward and spurned a great chance when they were awarded a penalty after  Boyle was upended but Harvey stepped up and blasted the spot kick high over the bar.

Greencastle FC             7

Cockhill Youths             0

The home side dominated from the start and on 5 minutes James Henry was denied by Sean Parker who recovered to block Christy Hegarty ‘s follow up. They took the lead after 6 minutes when a low Matthew Henry corner was drilled home from twelve yards by Michael Barr. They increased their lead on 26 minutes when Hegarty poked the ball past Parker and ran on to slot home. The impressive James henry then fed Sean Cavanagh who turned well and slotted home to make it three nil at the break. It continued in the same vein and after good build up Matthew Henry controlled a cross to slot low to the corner on 53 minutes. Cockhill replied and Darragh McDermott fed Keegan Hegarty who skipped past a defender but fired into the side netting. Greencastle increased their lead when Hegarty outpaced the defence to round Parker and finish well. Hegarty completed his hat trick and made it six nil when he side stepped a defender and fired left footed to the net. Cockhill had two half chances when both McDermott and Tommy Doherty saw attempted lobs clear the crossbar. Greencastle substitute Danny Murphy found Michael Henry but Parker saved well. Another substitute Joe Doherty headed narrowly wide before Michael Henry fired a stunning thirty yards effort to the top corner to complete the scoring.

Aileach FC                    3

Milford United             1

Milford started well and the ever dangerous Kyle Black poked just wide in a crowded area before he saw another effort from a tight angle clip the bar on the way over. Somewhat against the run of play Aileach took the lead on 16 minutes when a diagonal Dermot Doherty pass released Anthony Doherty on the right and he crossed for Kieran McGrory to slot home. But the visitors got back on terms on the half hour when after Black mis hit his initial effort he adjusted to head past John Roulstone.Aileach replied and regained the lead before the break when Dermot Doherty and Thomas McMacken combined to release Anthony Doherty and he fired low past Eamon McGettigan. Milford were unlucky in the 55th minute after Black outpaced the home defence but saw his effort rebound off the post to Joey Cullen whose follow up effort was smothered by Roulstone. McGrory controlled well but fired wide for the home side while at the other end Cathal McGettigan volleyed just over the bar. Aileach made it safe on 81 minutes after McGrory pulled the ball into the path of McMacken who controlled well and fired to the roof of the net from the edge of the area. Milford were denied a consolation when Gary Merritt controlled well and his shot on the turn was well saved by Roulstone.

Ulster Junior  Shield  ulster

Milford  Res                 1

Illies Res                       1 (win 3.2 on pen)

This was a close competitive game with very little between the teams which went all the way to the penalty shootout. Milford took the lead midway through the half when JJ Fleming pounced on a defensive error and race clear to drill the ball low past Graeme Doherty from sixteen yards.Illies came into the game then and Adrian Donaghey-Doherty went past three defenders but blazed over when well placed. On the stroke of half time Stephen McGonigle found space on the edge of the area but fired narrowly over. After a slow start to the second period Illies upped the tempo forcing the home side to sit deeper. They got back on terms on 64 minutes when Donaghey-Doherty and Dominic Doherty played a neat one two on the edge of the area and although Donaghey Doherty’s initial effort was saved by Barry Gallagher the rebound fell for him to slot home. Illies pressed to the end of the game but failed to make the breakthrough and with no chances at either end in extra time it went to the shootout. Illies progressed after a three two shootout win.

Glenree United            1

Cockhill Res                  5

The first half was a tight affair but it was Cockhill, the visitors, who took the lead on 20 minutes when John Quigley skipped passed two players up the left before driving a low cross into area for Gary  Breslin to slot home from  five yards. Cahir McGinleys Glenree team then came more into the game after the goal with Conor Kasey proving to be a handful on the right wing. Cockhills keeper, Arron O’Donnell, pulled off a number of excellent saves from close in to keep Cockhill in front at the break. The young net minder saving smartly  from Kasey on two separate occasions.The second half saw the visitors take the game to Glenree and after good work from Kevin McDaid, John Quinn  found himself in space at the edge of the area to calmly side foot the ball into top corner giving the home keeper no chance. Cockhill then added another from an inswinging corner that went directly into the net from Kevin McDaid. Glenree pressed but Cockhill caught them on the break where on 75 minutes Gary Breslin neatly finished into bottom corner to make it four nil to Cockhill. Glenree tried hard to get on the scoreboard but a resolute Cockhill defence stood up to the task well marshalled by Bernard Gubbins. The home side did score on 88 minutes when Damien Ellis scored from a cross just beating the excellent Aaron O’Donnell. Gary Breslin then got his hat trick on the stroke of full time when he stole the ball of the full back and drove it past keeper form ten yards.


Aileach Res                  5

Greencastle Res          0

The home side dominated this match from the start and on 5 minutes Stephen Doherty dragged an early effort just wide from fourteen yards. Greencastle replied and Mike Price headed narrowly wide after a free kick. On 21 minutes Ruairi Bradley played a one two with Conor Harkin and drilled low past Puaric Carey Doherty from twelve yards. Both Doherty and Bradley had efforts which saw the former fire wide and Doherty safe the latters effort. Just before the half time  break when Harkin’s back heel released Paul McHugh to fire low to the net from twelve yards. In the second period McHugh added another on 55 minutes when he advanced before unleashing a superb effort from twenty yards to the top corner. Greencastle replied and Tom Heuston fired narrowly wide from distance. On 74 minutes the unmarked Matthew Doherty ghosted in at the back post to convert Bradley’s cross from six yards. They made it five nil when Stephen Doherty scored after a scramble in the area. At the other end Eunan McDaid had a snap shot saved by David McGeady.

QPS Res                        3

Sea Rovers                   2     (AET)

In lovely conditions at Muff the home side had to come from behind and force extra time before advancing. Both teams started fast, with Jack McConnelogue’s shot forcing Rovers keeper Glen Watson into making a good save. But it was the away side who opened the scoring on seven minutes. A defensive error allowed Daniel Glackin to swoop in behnd the home defence and finish past David Bell.

Rovers’ pressing game was causing the home side problems early. On twenty minutes, Damien Ward’s free-kick from the left was met by the head of William Logan, and Bell had to be alert to tip over. Ward’s resulting corner found Gary Doherty in the box, who headed home to make it 2two nil. The Muff side fought back into the game, although Bell made another good save to deny Ward from a free-kick. On forty minutes, Paul Hegarty’s in-swinging corner from the left was palmed away by Watson with Kevin Wallace ready to pounce. Three minutes before the break, the home side reduced the deficit. Joe Johnstone made a strong run to left byline before squaring a pass to McConnelogue, and the midfielder made no mistake from ten yards, finishing clinically into the bottom-left corner. The away side should have restored their two goal cushion on forty-eight minutes. Ward made a good burst through the middle and laid on a pass to Glackin, but the striker shot wide when one-on-one with Bell and Ward was again denied by Bell two minutes later.

Quigley’s Point began to take control. Paul Hegarty and Joe Johnstone both had shots off-target. On seventy-four minutes, Josh McLaughlin was played through after excellent work from Paul Grant, but the young striker’s poor first touch allowed Watson to clear the danger.

The home side continued to pile on the pressure. With ten minutes left, McConnelogue showed good work on the right flank before passing to Paul Hegarty, and the midfielder’s curling shot from the right edge of the box smacked the crossbar. The away side’s resistance eventually broke on eighty-two minutes. Hegarty’s shot from sixteen yards was blocked, but the Point midfielder pounced on the rebound to tap in from ten yards.

With Rovers tiring, Quigley’s Point looked to finish off the game. Sam McCorkell’s shot was well-held by Watson, while Gary Doherty made a brilliant last-ditch tackle to deny Hegarty a second goal. Josh McLaughlin then had two glorious chances to win the game, first shooting wide from ten yards from a Hegarty corner before being denied by Watson with the last kick of normal time.

The comeback was completed for the Point in first minute of extra-time. McConnelogue made another excellent run on the right before playing a low ball into the box, and Rovers defender saw his attempted clearance went into his own net.

Quigley’s Point were content to see the game out, with the away side unable to break through a well-organised home defence. McConnelogue and Kevin Wallace saw half chances go wide in the first period of extra-time. Three minutes before the end McConnelogue was unlucky not to cap an excellent performance with another goal, his volleyed shot fizzing just wide from twelve yards.

Killylough  Res             3

Moville Celtic               1

A severely under strength  Moville side fell to defeat in this game played in Clones Town. They broke the deadlock on 19minutes after the Moville defence failed to clear allowing Lee Meehan to slot home from close range. But Moville equalised ten minutes later after a fine strike from Conor Doherty from twenty five yards nestled in the bottom corner. But Meehan restored the home sides advantage before the interval when he fired home from the edge of the area. Moville upped the tempo on the restart and Charlie Gill, Doherty and Michael McNaught were all denied by good saves from keeper Lane Monaghan. On 79 minutes  Killylough sealed the win when after a corner the ball deflected off a Moville defender to the net.


Strand Hotel Division One bally

Redcastle United                  2

Clonmany Res                       4

Redcastle went ahead on 6 minutes when Brendan Murphy played in Darragh Mc Conway and he converted from close range. Clonmany got back on terms ten minutes later when Oisin Hession played in John Porter and he shot across Mc Cole to the net.  Dessie Doherty put Clonmany in front on thirty five minutes having been released by Hession he finished well. Clonmany started the second half well and increased their lead when Porter reacted in the box to nod home  after Hession’s corner wasn’t cleared by the home defence.  Clonmany continued to dominate and Dessie Doherty crossed for Brendan Doherty to plant a header past  substitute keeper Joe Mc Cauley in the home goal. Redcastle got a consolation goal through Michael Bonner when the Clonmany defence failed to deal with a ball into the box.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two inis

Buncrana Res               4

Carrowmena Res         0

Hearts signaled their intentions early with Alan Friel shooting on sight twice. Five minutes in and Carrowena failed to clear a Hearts free kick and Paul Mc Daid was on hand to unleash an unstoppable shot from the edge of the area to open the scoring. While Carrowmena were under pressure for long periods they did manage a short period of pressure in the middle of the first half when Bredin, Mc Geoghegan and Mc Dermott all went close to equalising. But after this Hearts got back on top and on thirty minutes Alan Friel latched on to a long clearance and outstripped the Carrowmena defence and chipped keeper Noone to score Hearts’ second. Paul Mc Daid went close twice to adding to his tally as the first half drew to a close.

At the start of the second half Hearts brought on Pauric O’ Flaherty and he injected a sense of urgency into the Hearts’ play that was to put the match beyond Carrowmena.  On sixty five minutes John O’ Loughlin set O Flaherty free down the left and he cut in and though his goal bound shot beat keeper Noone, David Carey was on hand to clear the ball off the line. This combination of O’ Flaherty and O’ Loughlin were proving a constant source of problems for Carrowmena.Five minutes later after a series of corners Hearts had a goal bound header cleared of the line by Trevor Kane. But eventually all this pressure paid off and from another corner the ball fell to Ben Bradley and he scored from twelve yards. At this stage Hearts’ manager Tony O’ Loughlin had introduced his full quota of subs and it was one of these who scored Hearts’ fourth. On eighty five minutes Ben Bradley picked out John O’ Loughlin who had again found space on the left and he cut inside and his inviting cross was turned from close range by Adam Doherty. That Hearts were restricted to only scoring four was in main due to a fine defensive display by Mc Dermott, Carey, Campbell, Dougall and keeper Noone.

Glengad Res                 4

Dunree Res                   3

In beautiful calm conditions Glengad took an early lead in the opening minutes after a Paul McGonigle corner floated all the way to the top corner past Simon Taylor. On 21 minutes a long Mark Smith ball released PJ McDaid to fire low past Taylor from ten yards and make it two nil. McDaid then got his second of the game just before the break when Paul McDermott crossed and when his initial header was brilliantly saved McDaid pounced to slam the rebound home. Dunree got a goal back on 43 minutes when the home defence failed to clear a high ball and it bounced off a defender and into the net past Ronan Lafferty. In the second period Glengad had the first chance on 55 minutes when a Chris Doherty ball released McDaid who was denied by  Taylor but fired the rebound wide of a gaping goal. Dunree responded and Peter O Neill beat two defenders but fired over the bar. Glengad then made it four one when a Patrick McDermott effort evaded Taylor and Paul McDermott headed home. Dunree again got a goal back on 84 minutes when Neil Moran crossed for O’Neill who controlled and rounded Lafferty to slot home. On 87 minutes O’Neill added another to set up a grandstand finish but they could not salvage a draw.

Gleneely Colts              3

Carn Res                       1

The colts got a perfect start in the opening minutes when a throw in was flicked on for Pete Bond who crossed from the right for Christy Smith to fire high past Fergal Bradley from six yards. Carn responded and midway through the half created a good chance when Darren Loftus split the home defence with a superb through ball for Niall McGuinness but Adrian Duffy made a superb save low to his right. The home side then increased their lead before the break when Cory O Brien advanced unchallenged from midfield and squared the ball for Nathan McLaughlin to fire home from six yards. The first chance of the second half fell to the home side when Joe Mclaughlin fed Nathan McLaughlin but he was denied by a last ditch tackle. In a goalmouth scramble the visitors got a goal back when Cade Cooke poked home from close range. But Gleneely made it three one when John P McDermott headed high to the roof of the net from twelve yards after a Nathan McLaughlin corner. The home side had another chance after a replica corner but McDermott headed wide this time.

Redcastle  Res             3

Rasheney Res               3

Redcastle took the lead on 20 minutes when Rasheney’s goalkeeper Keiran O Neill upended Brian Tracy in the box and Eunan Mullen converted from the penalty spot. Rasheney got back on terms on 32 minutes after Declan Mc Laughlin crossed for Jack Mc Laughlin to drill home. But Redcastle regained the lead two minutes later when Tracy played in Rhys Davenport who slotted home.Rasheney fashioned a second equaliser when David Mc Laughlin shot from

distance deceived Doherty in the home goal and  Rasheney then went ahead when David  Mc Laughlin lobbed Doherty from the edge of the box. The second half saw less chances created,  firstly Jack Mc Laughlin fired straight at Doherty for the visitors while Mullen also fired straight at O Neill for the home side. Redcastle eventually got back terms when Daniel Harkin headed home a James Breslin cross

to salvage appoint for the home side late on.