Match Reports Sunday 2nd February

FAI  Junior  Cup 

Buncrana Hearts               1

Killarney Celtic                  4

After a nervous opening Buncrana had the first chance of the game on 7 minutes after a Declan Fullerton cross was glanced narrowly wide by Gerard McLaughlin.

But the visitors front three of Wayne Sparling , Daniel Roach and Stephen McCarthy began to give the home defence trouble. On 16 minutes Sparling beat a man and crossed for Roach who headed wide. They took the lead on 25 minutes when McCarthy latched onto a ball over the top and rounded Eoghan O’Doherty  to fire home from a tight angle. Sparling then put in a great cross which just eluded McCarthy at the back post. But they increased their lead when Roachs cross fell nicely for McCarthy to volley home from eight yards. The visitors remained on top on the restart and Sparling fired narrowly over after McCarthy had released him. They made it three nil when  Roach slotted home after O’Doherty parried a cross from Sparling. McCarthy then completed his hat trick when finished well from twelve yards. The home side did rally and Fullertons cross deflected off a defender but hit the post and was cleared. Kevin O Loughlin then had a header well saved before Fullertons free crashed off the bar to O’Loughlin whose follow up header also came off the bar. The home side got a  consolation after Aaron McDaid and Keith McColgan combined for the latter to cross to Fullerton to flick home from close range.

Rush Athletic                     1         

Greencastle FC                  0                      AET

Greencastle ‘s Junior cup journey  came to an end in controversial fashion in Dublin on Sunday. On a very poor surface Gerry Gill fired narrowly wide for the visitors before they went close again on 15 minutes. Gill played a corner to Jamie McCormick on the edge of the area and his first time effort looked destined for the top corner but Stephen Kirwan made  a brilliant finger tip save to tip the ball over. Rush replied with a Johnathan Hanrity free well saved by Dylan Doherty. Before the break Greencastle had a chance when Ronan Doherty shot over from twenty yards while at the other end Hanritty fired a free kick just over.  On 53 minutes McCormick headed over from an inswinging free from Gill before McCormick had another effort saved by Kirwan.  In the latter stages both McMonagle and Stephen Grant fired over from outside the box as extra time loomed. The defining moment of the game came midway though the first half of extra time when with Greencastle appealing firstly for a foul and then for offside Barry McAllister raced clear to slot low past Doherty. Greencastle threw everything at the home side in the second period and had two great chances. Firstly substitute Shaun Cavanagh fired a left footed effort from the edge of the area just wide. Then McMonagle found Cavanagh again and this time his effort grazed the bar on the way over.


Jackie Crossan Premier Division  

Glengad United                 1

Culdaff FC                            1

Bottom of the table  Culdaff caused a huge upset and put a dent in the home side’s title challenge with this hard fought draw. Glengad started the better and on 10minutes Seamus Doherty sent Terence Doherty clear but he fired wide. Culdaff responded and when Darren Mullarkey found Eugene McLaughlin  on the left he failed to trouble Daniel Mullarkey in the home goal. Glengad got on top then with Finn McClure seeing an effort well saved by Darragh McLaughlin before Seamus Doherty had a shot brilliantly tipped around the post by Mclaughlin. On 40 minutes Terence Doherty  ran onto Patrick McDermott’s pass and saw his first time effort cleared off the line by Damien Harkin who picked up an injury in the process and had to be replaced. A minute before the break the home side were awarded a penalty after Terence Doherty was upended and James McKinney despatched the kick low past McLaughlin. Glengad had a good chance after the break when Doherty raced clear but fired wide when well placed. Despite a lot of possession Glengad were restricted to long range shots with Seamus Doherty seeing an effort saved.  Culdaff lifted the pressure on 72 minutes after a Eugene  McLaughlin cross found Bryan McCandless  but he fired wide at the back post. The visitors got a shock equaliser on 77 minutes when Michael Coyle pounced on a defensive slip and turned a defender before finishing superbly low past Mullarkey. The home side threw men forward but were restricted to long range efforts from McClure, Matthew Byrne and Conor Barrow which were all off target as the visitors defence stood firm to claim a surprise point.

Aileach FC                4         

Illies Celtic              1

Aileach started at a high tempo and were ahead within 5 minute when Darren McMonagle got space on the edge of the box and curled a left foot strike beyond the dive of Johnny Noone. The home side were on top at this stage and Noone did well to deny both Darren McMonagle and Gavin Doherty in quick sucession to keep his side in the game. Illies began to settle after the initial onslaught and played some good football to get a foothold in the game. Their good spell reaped rewards on 20 minutes when Liam Grant overlapped down the left and crossed for Liam Doherty to volley home at the back post. On the half hour Gavin Doherty was played in by Darren McMonagle but he rushed his finish, failing to trouble Noone. The away side were giving as good as they got and Adrian Donaghy Doherty was working tirelessly up front giving the Aileach rearguard all sorts of problems.  The second half opened with Aileach upping the pace again and had the away side pinned in for long periods. On the hour Darren McMonagle played in Gareth McGlynn but he skied his effort well over Noone’s bar. The home sides pressure finally told on the hour when the same two players combined but this time McGlynn slotted home low past Noone. A thirdoal  arrived on 70 minutes when Thomas McMonagle found Dermot Doherty on the edge of the  box and he clipped a lovely effort to the top corner past Noone’s right hand. With the young Illies side tiring Aileach rounded off the scoring in the  83rd  minute  when Gareth McGlynn was fouled in the box and Darren McMonagle sent Johnny Noone the wrong way from the spot.

Hannon Greene Insurances Fr O’ Gara Cup

Preliminary Round

Aileach Res             3

Cockhill Res            0

Aileach Reserves and Cockhill Reserves met for the second week in a row,this time in the O’Gara Cup and Aileach again prevailed by the same scoreline as the previous encounter.  Aileach started brightly and controlled the bulk of possession with Stephen Doherty and Paddy Curran asking questions of the Cockhill defence.  Aileach took the lead on twenty minutes, when Shane McMonagles corner was deflected into his own goal by an unfortunate defender.  Aileach continued to press and got their second minutes later when Ryan Wilson advanced from defence, played a one-two with Stephen Doherty before placing a great shot from 20 yards into the bottom corner past Friel in the Cockhill goal.  Aileach added a third when Wilson again arrived in the box and fired past Friel from 10 yards.  Aileach almost added a fourth right on half time when Curran pounced on a loose pass from Friel in the Cockhill goal and was upended on the edge of the box with the goal gaping.  Shane McMonagle fired the free kick towards the bottom corner but Friel got down to save.  The second half was a much more tighter affair with Cockhill playing a more direct physical style. Cockhill created a few half chances with John Grant always dangerous from Gary Breslins knockdowns.  On the hour, Wilson almost grabbed his hat trick when he fired a free kick round the wall that grazed the outside of the post.  The game petered out in the final stages and a Wilson snap shot in the final minutes, that was well held by Friel,  the closest to any more goals.

Clonmany Res                    1         

Glengad Res                                    5

The homeside had the first chance from a Tiernan McDonald corner which was met by a powerful Paul Devlin header but Lee Kelly cleared off the line. IN a swift counter attack  PJ McDaid broke into the area and poked the ball past the advancing Killian McCarron but just wide. Glengad took the lead on 10 minutes when Paul McDermott crossed for McDaid to lay the ball off to  Brian Doherty on the edge of the area and he cooly slotted low into the bottom right hand corner. The visitors increased their lead on 18 minutes when McDaids low cross was sidefooted home by McDermott from six yards. In a repeat chance Mc Dermott scooped the ball over the bar from close range. Before the break  Clonmany responded and when a lee Coyle cross was only cleared back to him he fired just over the bar from sixteen yards. McDermott had the first effort of the second half which produced an excellent save by McCarron. But McDermott increased the visitors advantage on 59 minutes when he got on the end of substitute Nathan McConalogue’s cross to fire home. The roles were reversed on 65 minutes  after a McDermott cross found McConalogue who looped a header over McCarron from fifteen yards. Clonmany then got a goal back minutes later when Aaron Harkin advanced past a couple of tackles and unleashed a dipping effort over substitute Oran Raymond. But Glengad completed the scoring when McDermott completed his hat trick sliding the ball low past home substitute Tiernan Doherty. Clonmany had the final chance but Gary Doherty’s effort from distance went narrowly wide.

Rasheney Res                                 0

Clonmany Shamrocks                  7         

Playing with the breeze Clonmany dominated the opening half but had to with until the 21st minute for their first effort.Mark McLaughlin sidestepped a defender inside the area but saw his effort cleared by a defender. Pearse McCarron then hooked the ball wide following a corner before the same player fired across goal and past the far post. They broke the deadlock on 27 minutes after a Gareth Bradley free from wide on the left was headed home at the back post by McCarron. Rasheney replied with Ronan Shovlin turned well but fired wide from the edge of the area. Clonmany resumed in control and  Roger McGilloway pulled off a superb reaction save after a McCarron cross deflected goalwards off a defender before the keeper palmed away a looping Niall Mclaughlin effort. The shamrocks increased their lead before the interval when McLaughlin’s corner came off the head of a defender and flew into the net. The shamrocks upped the tempo in the second half and Bradley had a long range effort well saved by McGilloway. They made it three nil when substitutes Jason Devlin and Mark McLaughlin combined for the latter to fire low past McGilloway. Oisin Hession then had an angled effort superbly clawed away by McGilloway.At  the other end Shovlin just failed to capitalize on a ball over the top while Clonmany ‘s Mark McLaughlin was again denied by McGilloway. Four goals in the final fifteen minutes  began with Dean Harkin pouncing on a defensive error  to round McGilloway and slot home. Two goals from Mark McLaughlin to complete his hat trick and one from Damien Duffy completed the scoring.

Gleneely Colts       8         

Carrowmena FC     0

First division Gleneely proved much too strong for division two neighbours Carrowmena and ran out emphatic winners at Glenview Park. Played in good crisp conditions, gleneely were first to show when Keelan Hegarty ran with the ball up the right wing, passed to JJ Doherty in midfield, who advanced and shot wide from 25 yards. Gleneely won a free on left that was taken by Keelan Hegarty, the ball fell to Kevin Doherty who rifled home from 20 yards after 25minutes.Before halftime, Gleneely went two up after a good run by JJ Doherty in midfield, laid the ball off to Keelan Hegarty who turn the defender inside out before shooting to the top corner from fifteen yards. On the hour mark  Gleneely went three up when a ball into the box by Kevin Doherty, was headed to the bottom corner by Vinny McKenna. Then Adrian Duffy played in Corey O Brien along the left wing, he advanced and slid the ball to the bottom corner from the edge of the box. They made it five then after  JJ Doherty played the ball out to the right wing to Nathan McLaughlin who  advanced and shot low to the keepers left hand side of the net. Gleneely added a sixth on 70 minutes Darragh Canny played Christy McDaid down the left wing, he advanced to the touch line and played the ball across the six yard line for Nathan McLaughlin to slid home to the bottom left hand corner from six yards. On 80minute  Nathan McLaughlin picked the ball up on the right wing, advanced to square the ball back to Joe McLaughlin in the edge of the box, for him to slot low to the right hand corner, to make it seven. The eighth  goal arrived in the last minute, after  good play in midfield from Keelan Hegarty to play the ball wide to Christy McDaid, he advanced into the area and played the ball into the six yard box, for John Doherty to poke home from close range to complete the rout.

Dunree United                   3         

Moville Res                         1

Dunree had the first chance of the game when Peter O’Neill fed Jamie Brosnan  but his effort crashed back off the post. Midway through the half Moville s Declan McGuinness had a free tipped over the bar by John Lafferty in the home goal. Minutes before the break Dunree broke the deadlock when a Liam Baldrick effort crashed off the bar to Brosnan who fired high to the roof of the net from ten yards. After an even start to the second half Moville equalised midway through the half when Declan McGuinness rose high to head home a corner. Dunree regained the lead after the Moville defence failed to clear and Ryan Bradley headed over Ryan Coyle from six yards. They sealed the win on 88 minutes when Conor Barrett converted a penalty awarded  after he had been upended.

First Round

Culdaff Res                          1

Greencastle Res                5

First division Greencastle proved too strong for division two Culdaff under the lights at Caratra on Saturday night.The visitors got a dream start on 11 minutes after Shea McLaughlin was upended and Joe Doherty converted sending Dermot Callaghan the wrong way. They doubled their lead on 22 minutes after Tom Houston broke the offside trap and crossed for Gavin Rowan to head home from close range. Culdaff replied and good interplay between Peter McCallion and Matthew Crampsey released Niall Gordon but the ball got stuck under his feet and the chance was lost. Culdaff started the second half well with Mark Doherty’s free tipped round the post by Jack McKenna before Michael McLaughlin and  Joe O Connor went close with headers from corners. But on 68 minutes Joe Doherty controlled a long ball  turned and rifled a brilliant effort to the top corner to make it three nil. On 75 minutes the visitors were awarded a dubious penalty after Kevin McLaughlin went over in the area and McLaughlin squeezed the ball past Callaghan who got a hand to the ball but could not prevent it crossing the line. Joe Doherty then completed his hat trick with another excellent finish to make it five nil. The home side scored a late consolation when substitute Conor Byrne advanced on the left and crossed for Darragh McCormick who controlled and finished low past McKenna.

Redcastle United              1

QPS                                        4

The home side had an early effort in the 7th minute when Ronan Hoy cut in from the  left and unleashed an effort which flashed just wide.            The point upped the tempo and Caolan Harkin went close with a good effort from the edge of  the area.           The Point took the lead midway through the half after a John McCloskey cross  found  Harkin who headed past Michael McCole. The point spurned a great chance to increase their lead when Harkin was upended but Lee Barr’s effort was saved by McCole to leave it one nil at the break.The visitors increased their lead on 55  minutes when John McCloskey rounded a defender and fired low past McCole. They increased their lead after Josh  Boye crossed for Andrew Barr to fire low to the corner. The home side did get a goal back on 88 minutes after Darragh McConway  crossed for Jack Ferry to fire past Aiden Lynch from  close range. But David Healy fired a superb effort from twenty yards to the top corner to seal the tie.

Rasheney FC           2                     

Carn Res                   0

The visitors had the first attacking threat but Cian Burke just failed to get on the end of Dion Divers excellent cross. Rasheney took over then with Charlie Doherty firing narrowly wide from distance before the same player had a close range effort blocked by Dean Mason.From the resultant corner Paul McConalogue headed just wide.  Rasheney continued to press with Christy Ivers denied by Mason  before Doherty then fired a great effort from the  angle of the area just past the angle of the post and bar. On 32minutes David McLaughlin unleashed a low shot on the run which Mason held well. Carn lifted the siege before the break with a Joe McKinney free glanced just wide by Burke as the half ended scoreless.  The home side broke the deadlock on 52 minutes after Caelum Long fed Charlie Doherty who laid the ball into the path of McLaughlin who took two touches before drilling low past Mason.    Carn responded very well with a McKinney free from wide on the left clawed away by Paddy McGilloway, Conor Burke heading over and then a Ronan Donegan effort was saved by McGilloway. Rasheney hit back with Cormac Dillon skiing over the bar before Charlie Doherty was denied by a brilliant goal line clearance  from substitute Sean O Donnell. At the other end Dayton Cooke had an effort blocked in a crowded area. Rasheney  sealed the tie when Doherty beat two defenders and laid the ball off to McLaughlin who cooly slotted home from twelve yards. Dillon then had a late chance for the home side but was unlucky to see his effort come back off the post.