Match Reports Sunday 29th September

Sunday 22nd   September    

Clubman Shirts League Cup Semi Finals

Aileach  FC       0   (win 5.3 on penalties AET )

Buncrana  Hearts  0

This game began in a very cagey fashion with defences on top and neither goalkeeper given much to do. On 10 minutes a half chance fell to James Adair following a poor clearance from the home defence but his rushed effort was gathered comfortably by  Kyle Dougal in the Aileach goal.

Midway through the half Ciaran McDaid got free at the back post but Dougal did well to advance and smother his effort and Paddy Slevin cleared the danger. Just before the break the home side carved out their best opportunity of the half when Darren McMonagle got to the byeline and pulled the ball back for Keith McColgan but the wing backs shot from 15 yards just missed Eoghan O’Doherty’s  right hand post.The second half followed a similar pattern with Buncrana’s high press making it difficult for the home side to retain possession for any length of time and one of these instances resulted in an Aileach defender being caught in possession and Ciaran McDaid was through on goal but he screwed is effort wide. It was no surprise when the game finished level and went into extra time. On the stroke of half time in extra time a quick Ciaran McDaid free released Bart Wesloski but his shot from a narrow angle didn’t trouble Dougal. With time almost up Aileach got a free on the edge of the box but Thomas McMonagles effort was well over the bar. The lottery of penalties followed with the home side prevailing by and  Dougal emerging the hero when he saved Buncrana’s third kick.

Glengad United                 4

Carn FC                                 0

The home side started well and opened the scoring on 11 minutes when Dillon Ruddy fed Terence Doherty on the edge of the area and he laid the ball back for Conor Barrow to drill an unstoppable effort to the top corner. Minutes later after Cathal McDaid was upended James McKinney despatched the penalty low to Kyle Harkin’s left to make it two nil. Midway through the half McKinney advanced and sent Barrow clear but Harkin advanced to save well. Glengad should have made it three nil before the break after Matthew Byrne ‘s ball over the top found Patrick McDermott who raced clear but a heavy touch saw the ball run over the line. Glengad dominated long periods of the second half  pinning the visitors back and increased their lead on 66 minutes when McDermott and McKinney combined to release Terence Doherty to round the keeper and slot home. They sealed their passage to the final when McKinney fed Doherty on the right who crossed for McDermott to slot home at the back post.

Jackie Crossan Premier Division            

Culdaff FC          1

Cockhill Celtic Yths   7

The home side got a dream start when they took the lead in the first minute with Bryan McCandless breaking on the left and firing in a shot which was parried by Liam McGonigle but Aiden Cunningham pounced to drill home. Conor Doherty shot just over before they had big claims for a penalty waved away. Cockhill replied with Adam McLaughlin firing wide from fifteen yards  before Michael Noone glanced a header wide. Culdaff had another good chance when McCandless broke u the right this time and pulling the ball back for Damien Duffy who fired wide from fifteen yards. On the half hour Cockhill equalised after a short corner to Bradley Callaghan saw his wind assisted floated effort drop under the bar. Minutes later they took the lead after an attempted clearance was blocked and looped onto the crossbar for Darragh McDermott to fire home. Adam McLaughlin then had a chance for the visitors before the break when he advanced along the endline but from a tight angle fired across goal and wide.Culdaff almost levelled on 52 minutes when good work by Conor Doherty saw him pull the ball back to Michael Coyle who saw his effort graze the outside of the post. Cockhill then saw a Callaghan effort well blocked by Thomas O’Brien before the increased their lead on the hour mark. A superb run on the right by Jack McDaid saw his cross find the unmarked Mark McDaid to slot home from close range. McDermott then saw a header come back off the bar before at the other end Coyle at full stretch volleyed over a  Noel McLaughlin ball over the defence.  A poor back pass was seized on by Mark McDaid to round the keeper to slot home on 69 minutes before a quick break from a home attack left McDermott unmarked to race clear and round O’Brien to make it five one. When a Mark McDaid effort came back off the post Shane A Doherty was on hand to slot home the sixth before Mark McDaid completed his hat trick when he converted a penalty low to the bottom right hand corner in the final minute.

Moville Celtic         0

Greencastle FC      5

Greencastle claimed all three points in the local derby at Glencrow. The visitors threatened in the second minute when Grant forced his way into the Moville area only for home keeper Houghton to block his low drive with his feet from a narrow angle. Greencastle took the lead  minutes later after Nigel McMonagle latched on to a deflected pass firing into the net after rounding Houghton. Moville tried to reply moments later with Conor Doherty firing wide from 15 yards after Caolan Doherty’s right sided cross. Houghton then saved well to deny McMonagle after he was unmarked from a Greencastle corner. In the 15th minute it was two nil to the visitors with Christy Hegarty controlling the ball with his chest and firing an unstoppable volley into the far top corner after being set up by James Henry’s scooped lob over the home defence. Michael McNaught for Moville missed a chance to pull one back shooting wide of keeper Dylan Doherty’s left side post from the edge of the area. Doherty was down quickly to gather Conor Doherty’s effort from 18 yards after he forced his way through the visitor’s defence on the half hour. In the 33rd minute Greencastle got a third with a Moore cross low from the left dispatched home by McMonagle from 6 yards. James Henry missed the chance for a fourth when he headed over the home goal from close range following a Greencastle free kick. Doherty smothered Conor Doherty’s effort in the dying minutes of the first half after he was set up by Jack McConnellogue’ s hard work down the left.

Greencastle had to wait until the 81st minute for their fourth which came from a Moville defender who blasted into his own net while trying to intercept McMonagle’s cross. The visitors wrapped it up in the 86th minute scoring a fifth after breaking quickly from a Moville attack with sub Ronan Doherty crossing deep from the right touchline to find McMonagle unmarked at the back post who netted easily.

Strand Hotel First  Division

Gleneely Colts  1

Clonmany Shamrocks 2

Played in heavy conditions, Gleneely had the first chance on 5minutes when Keelan Hegarty was played through on goal but his shot from the edge of the box was saved low to Paddy Harkin’s left hand side. Minutes later Mark McLaughlin had a chance for Clonmany when his shot from the edge was superbly saved by Sean McGuiness. Clonmany took the lead after 15minutes when a ball by Jason Devlin to the back post was nodded home from close range by Mark McLaughlin. Gleneely restored parity on the half hour when Eddie McNamees long throw, released Corey O Brien who rolled the defender and blasted home from 10 yards. Play swung from end to end and Clonmany were awarded a penalty on 80minutes when Mark McLaughlin was upended in the box only for Sean McGuiness to get down low to his right and make a great save from Mickey Devlins penalty. But  five minutes later Clonmany got the winner when a free by Niall Mclaughlin on the right was headed powerfully home at the back post by Matthew Brennan.

QPS                            4

Rasheney FC           1

The point started well and Caolan McColgan saw an early effort well blocked by Roger McGilloway. On 9 minutes the home side broke the deadlock after McColgan crossed from the left for John McCluskey sliding in at the back post to force the  ball home. Rasheney replied and midway through the half Matthew Duffy crossed for Paddy McGilloway but he headed narrowly wide. The point resumed in the ascendancy and Lee Barr had a free from twenty yards saved by McGilloway. They then had a great opportunity before the break after McColgan advanced up the right and pulled the ball back for David Healy but he failed to hit the target from ten yards. The Point got off to a great start when they increased their lead on 51 minutes with Lee Barr converting a penalty low to the bottom left after McColgan had been tripped. Deaglan Bowen then had a shot saved by McGilloway who also done well to tip a McCluskey effort around the post at full stretch. Rasheney got a goal back midway through the half when a Charlie Doherty free from distance eluded all and nestled in the bottom corner of the net. But on 75 minutes Healy released Caolan Travers with the visitors defence appealing in vain for offside and he ran clear to finish low past McGilloway. McColgan then had a shot from a tight angle saved before Travers had an effort clip the post after good work by Darragh Gillen. The home side sealed the points when Healy again released Travers to beat the offside trap and round McGilloway to slot home.

Greencastle Res                3

Dunree United                   3

Greencastle started the better with both David Walker and Andrew Peoples seeing efforts saved by John Lafferty. Dunree  responded  and took the lead  on  15 minutes after Jamie Brosnan cut in from the left and when his effort was parried by Jack McKenna the rebound fell nicely for Matthew Doherty to slot home. They went close again then with Sean Doherty’s header coming back off the bar. On 19 minutes the visitors made it two nil when Thomas Mulhern controlled and fed Brosnan to fire home from eight yards. Sean Doherty again went close when his volley shaved the outside of the post. The home side rallied before the break with Marc Doherty and Peoples seeing efforts saved while Daniel Rowan fired wide and Joe Doherty hit the side netting from a tight angle. Greencastle got a goal back two minutes into the half when Peoples flicked on a Joe Doherty cross for Adam Harkin who converted at the second attempt after his initial effort was well saved by Lafferty. But after a scramble in the home area Thomas Mulhern controlled and curled a superb effort into the  bottom corner to make it three one. The home side hit back with Peoples and Shaun Cavanagh going close with headers while in a quick break Dunree ‘s Thomas Doherty was denied by Mckenna.Greencastle finished the game the stronger with substitute Ben Doherty denied by Lafferty who also done well to tip a Peoples effort onto the bar. They got a goal back on 84 minutes after a deep Kevin Mclaughlin cross crept in at the back post. In injury time they grabbed a share of the spoils when David Henry burst forward on the left and his deep cross was bundled home by Tom Heuston.

Redcastle United              1

Glengad Res                                    3

The game started lively with neither side creating many clear-cut chances. Glengad eventually took the lead on 25 minutes when a corner was not dealt with well by Redcastle, Glengad recycled the ball out to Nathan McConlogue  whose cross found Paul McDermott and he finished well on the volley leaving the keeper helpless. Two minutes later Redcastle almost had an equaliser when Shay Davenports cross found Ronan Hoy but his header rolled past the post. Redcastle got the perfect start in the second half when substitute Daragh Conway’s cross found Shane McColgan who headed past the helpless keeper from six yards. Redcastle almost took the lead minutes later when a quick counter attack by Drew McKinney found Ronan Hoy but he fired just past the post. With 14 minutes left Glengad restored their lead when a long bouncing ball fell to Gary Kelly who volleyed well past the keeper to make .Minutes later as Redcastle pushed for an equaliser another long ball found Gary Kelly and his cross set up Paul McDermott who headed past the keeper to make the full time score three one.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two  

Clonmany Celtic                3

Moville Res                         2

A torrid affair that saw two sets of gladiators test their steel. Clonmany struck for an early advantage with a neatly finished John Doherty  goal. But Moville equalised after Danny Murphy pounced on a back pass to drill the ball low past Kieran Friel. Moville then took the lead  after a scramble in the penalty area fell to Colin Doherty and he made no mistake from twelve yards. Clonmany rallied and got back on terms after Paul McLaughlin slotted home from 25 yards after the ball had broken to him. However with ten minutes remaining  Eamon Reidy emerged like a phoenix from the flames to nutmeg the helpless Moville goalie to make it three two for the home side.

Clonmany Res                    0

Culdaff Res                          4

Culdaff  earned their first league win of the season after two draws and a defeat while the home side are still searching for theirs. Clonmany created the games first chance in the 4th minute when David McGonigle got to the byline before pulling a cross back to Mark Kelly onthe 18 yard line but Culdaff keeper Martin McLaughlin saved well. Culdaff scored the opening goal in the 18th minute when a corner from the right was cleared to Culdaff’s Michael McFadden 30yards out and he drove a shot to the top corner giving Tiarnan Doherty no chance. Clonmany went close themselves from a corner in the 34th minute when Tiarnan McDonald’s delivery found Lee Coyle at the edge of the box but his first time volley just cleared the bar.Culdaff went close to doubling their lead in the 38th minute after a strong run by Mark Doherty set up Culdaff’s Jack McLaughlin curled his shot from 15yards out just wide of the left hand post.Culdaff doubled their lead in the 48th minute when Conor Keddy ran onto a long pass and slotted home past Tiernan Doherty to make it 0-2 to

Culdaff.They added a third goal in the 71st minute when Cathal McGrenaghan was sent clear on the right side of the box and he slotted low to the bottom left hand corner past Clonmany sub keeper Killian McCarron. Clonmany had chances with Mark Kelly testing Martin McLaughlin from distance and a teasing corner from Tiernan McDonald which caused some panic in the Culdaff defence but they were unable to get the finishing touch. Culdaff wrapped up the scoring in the 84th minute when Jack McLaughlin found space in the Clonmany box and received a perfect pass from the left wing to steer the ball home to make the final score four nil.

Rasheney Res         1

Redcastle Res        4

The visitors started this game the better and took the lead on     10 minutes after a Cianan Mulcahy cross found Oran Farren to shoot low past Roger McGilloway from ten yards. On 19 minutes they made it two nil when Darren Davenport’s sweetly struck free from the edge of the area went in of the angle of the post and bar. Rasheney rallied and reduced the deficit from the penalty spot after  Oliver Crouch was impeded allowing Kevin Noone to drill low to Ryan McCole’s left and into the bottom corner. But Redcastle regained their two goal cushion when Terry McColgan released Farren to slot low under the advancing McGilloway  from ten yards. Rasheney had the final chance of the half after Rian Diver fed Brendan Grant inside the area but he was denied by a last ditch Liam Davenport tackle. Redcastle had the first chance of the second period when Darren Davenports long range free dipped just over the bar. They went further ahead on 72 minutes after an Aiden Ferns free broke inside the area for Shane Bonner to drive first time low to the corner. The home side responded and a long range Joey Holland free smashed off the bar before being cleared.

Dunree Res                         0

Illies Res                              2

Dunree started the game in a lively fashion but filed to create any clear chances. Illies came more into the game and when Marty Coyle fed Ronan Hegarty he was denied by a good save from  Philip Doherty. On the half hour the visitors came close again after the home defence failed to clear a corner and John Pio Donaghey smashed an effort off the crossbar. Illies took the lead on the stroke of half time after a Donaghey effort just crept over the line after Doherty had gotten a strong hand to it but  just failed to prevent it crossing the line. Illies increased their lead on the hour mark after good work by Coyle ended with him pulling the ball back for Donaghey to slot home. Dunree responded and TJ McKinley was denied by a fine save from Graham Doherty. Donaghey then missed the opportunity to claim a hat trick when he failed to convert from the penalty spot.

Aileach Youth                     7

Carrowmena FC                 0

Carrowmena started the game the better with both Gerard Gill and Ryan McLaughlin spurning good chances when they failed to hit the target from good positions. Aileach opened the scoring on 21 minutes after Aaron Doherty’s cross shot found Callum Porter to slot past Brian Houghton. They made it two nil on the half hour when Brendan Hegarty despatched a superp low shot from the edge of the area to the bottom corner. The home side increased their lead minutes into the second period after Aaron Doherty drilled low to the net after the ball had broken to him fifteen yards out. Doherty then completed his hat trick in a five minute spell with the second coming from the penalty spot after Paddy Curran was upended. Laid one on a plate for Doherty’s fourth  then before Doherty then added his fifth when he burst through the middle and fired past Houghton.