Match Reports Sunday 29th January

Sunday 29th   January   

Ulster  Junior   Cup  Quarter finals 

Letterkenny Rovers 0

Aileach FC 6

Aileach started this game well and took the lead on 10 minutes when a Dermot Doherty corner from the left was headed home by the unmarked Darren McMonagle.

They doubled their lead midway through the half after McMonagle slipped the ball into the path of Aaron Nash on the right  and he fired across Brennan to the far corner from fourteen yards.  The home side responded with Ciaran Breslin denied by a super Darren Gallagher tackle.  Aileach then increased their advantage when Ethan Canning played a neat one two with McMonagle before firing a superb effort to the top corner. Aileach continued in the same vein in the second half and added  fourth when Caoimhin McFeely crossed for Aaron Nash to control and fire home from twelve yards. The fifth arrived on 64 minutes when McMonagle turned his man and advanced into the area to slip the ball past Brennan. They completed the scoring when Gavin Doherty sent Darren Bradley clear and he outpaced the defence before shooting low to the corner.

Moville Celtic 1

Fanad United 0 AET 

At a windy Bayfield Fanad started the better and Patrick Friel took a good save from Taylor Clarke in the home goal. Moville replied on 17 minutes with Jake Morrow cutting in on his left foot and unleashing an effort which  Patrick McGonigle saved well at the near post. Moville gradually got on top and Ryan Morrow had an effort saved by McGonigle before on the stroke of half time Ben Holly saw a header also saved. Moville began the second half well with a Ryan Morrow effort tipped over by McGonigle and from Jake Morrows corner the ball eluded everyone and bounced off the back post. Fanad responded and  Patrick Friel saw an effort from the edge of the area drift just wide. But Fanad keeper McGonigle kept them in the game with a superb  finger tip save to deny Aaaron McGurk whose twenty  five yards effort looked destined for the top corner. Fanad had a very good spell then with Dillon McGlynn pouncing on a defensive error but shooting over when well placed and substitute Edward O Reilly denied by Clarke. Another substitute Eoin Logue saw a twenty five yards effort saved low to his right by Clarkey who then produced an even better save to finger tip a Daniel McElwee effort which had goal written all over it. In the first period of extra time there was little by way of goal chances with defences on top and the play bogged down in the midfield third. Moville got a dream start to the second period when good work by McGurk saw his cross slotted home by Michael McNaught. Fanad had one great chance to force a penalty shotout but Friels effort was well saved by Clarke and Friel fired the rebound wide.

Buncrana Hearts 4

St Catherines 2 AET

Buncrana with the wind in the first half dominated possession but failed to create many chances. The first arrived on the half hour mark  and fell to the visitors after a corner  was flicked on by Evan Broderick for Kyle McGeoghaghan  who headed over the bar. Buncrana responded with a Ryan Doherty  cross almost deceiving Michael McMullan in the visitors goal. On the stroke of half time Buncrana took the lead when John Timlin released Matthew Browne on the right and he crossed for Sean Mullan to head home from eight yards. Buncrana started the second half well with Jamie McDaid turning well but shooting over before Eoin Murphy was denied by a good save from Mullan. They increased their lead on the hour mark when after a mix up John Timlin ‘s goal bound effort was deflected and from the corner Kieran McDaid crossed for Jamie McDaid to head home from eight yards.  The introduction of JP McGuinnes by the visitors spurred them into action. His first action saw a superb effort brilliantly saved by Rory Kelly . The visitors then had another chance after a defensive error allowed Ryan Cunningham in but a superb Caomhan Doherty tackle denied them. They got a goal back then on 75 minutes after McGuinness headed home a Sean Kelly cross. The Killybegs side then stunned the home side on 87 minutes when McGuinness raced onto a long ball and cooly slotted past Kelly to make it two each. Buncrana had a chance on the stroke of full time to win the game when Mullan’s first time cross found Christy McKinley who was denied by a superb save. Buncrana regained the lead three minutes into the first period of extra time after an Adam Curran  cross was flicked on by Kieran McDaid for Jamie McDaid to slot home at the back post. They then made it four  two when  McKinley released Kieran McDaid whose superb cross picked out Jamie McDaid to fire past Mullan.  Buncrana were dominant at this stage and  both McKinley and Kieran McDaid had efforts saved late on.

Jackie Crossan Premier Division  

Glengad United 2

Cockhill Celtic Youths 0

Glengad started with the wind but failed to press home their advantage having to wait until the half hour before Stephen Mclaughlin saw a long rage free esily gathered by Eoin Colhoun. Cockhill responded with a Rian Gallagher cross from the left  finding Darragh McDermott but he headed weakly at Ciaran Gallagher. The best chance of the half fell to the home side on 41 minutes after a  Seamus Doherty free deflected into the path of John G McLaughlin but from eight yards out he was denied by a brilliant save from Colhoun. Cockhill then spurned an equally good chance  on the stroke of half time with Ryan McDaid crossing to Paul Duffy who was denied by the legs of Gallagher from close range. Cockhill had the first chance of the second half but a Conor Gallagher twenty five yards free was well saved.  Gengad then took the lead on 65 minutes after a Seamus Doherty cross from the left fell to John G McDermott who fired to the top corner from ten yards. Cockhill had a good spell then with both Ian Deery and McDermott seeing efforts saved by Gallagher in the home goal. Their best chance came in the 88th minute after a Conor Gillen free found the unmarked Odhran O Brien-Daly but his header was saved by the legs of Gallagher. Glengad pounced and secured the points after good interplay between McLaughlin and Terence Doherty saw the former cross to McDermott who squared  for  Joe Doherty to slot low past Colhoun.

Illies Celtic 0

Greencastle  FC 2

Greencaste started this game well and Nigel McMonagle shooting just over the bar before the same player flashed a cross across the face of goal but there were no takers. Illies grew into the game and were on top for the remainder of the half. After good build up by Brendan Doherty and Liam Grant the ball was laid off to Ethan Doherty who fired straight at Conor Browne.  Grant then released  Nathan Doherty but his attempted lob was well claimed by Browne. On the stroke of half time they were unlucky after Dominic Coyles cross field ball  picked out Brendan Doherty whose first time effort crashed off the base of the post. Greencastle got off to the perfect start to the second half when Brennan Moore capitalised on a defensive slip to race clear and fire past Johnathan Noone. Illies responded and Paul Doherty had a great effort tipped over by Browne before a Kevin McGonigle shot was also saved . Then from an Illies corner Browne released the ball long for Moore to collect and he lobbed Noone from the edge of the area to make it two nil. Illies had the final chance  but Coyle headed over a Liam Grant corner. 

Culdaff FC 1

Clonmany Shamrocks 4

Clonmany started this game well and took an early lead after Jason Devlin interecepted a kick out and raced clear to fire past  Dermot Callaghan. When the home  defence failed to clear a long ball midway through the half Paddy Doherty pounded to drill home from fifteen yards.  Good work then by Matthew Brennan on the left saw his cross sidefooted home by the unmarked Aaron Porter from five yards. On the stroke of half time the home sides Jack Mclaughlin held off a defender and drilled just wide. After the break Culdaff had the first chance with a Jack O Brien free on the edge of the area which  rebounded off the wall to safety.  The home side reduced the deficit after Michael Coyle collected a defensive clearance controlled well and laid the ball inside for substitute Bryan McCandless to rifle to the roof of the net from twelve yards.  They went close again after McLaughlin collected an O’ Brien pass but  saw his effort crash off the post. Against the run of play Clonmany broke with Paddy Doherty releasing Devlin and his pinpoint cross was steered home by Pearse McCarron. The home side had the final chance after a Eugene McLaughlin cross was narrowly  headed wide by McCandless.

Strand Hotel  Division One  

Aileach Res 3

Redcastle  United 1

In a scoreless opening half both sides had reasonable chances.  For the home side Stephen O Donnell was denied by Michael McCole before David Campbell fired wide from the edge of the area. For the visitors Darragh McConway had an effort saved by Sean McGuinness before an Eoin McLaughlin shot just cleared the bar. But the home side broke the deadlock on 55 minutes after Campbell cut inside from the right  from a tight angle fired to the roof of the net. But Redcastle responded and got back on terms midway through the half after a Lee Barr cross was converted by McLaughlin  from ten yards. With the game in the balance the home side reclaimed the lead  in the 80th minute after a Keith McColgan corner was headed to the roof of the net by O Donnell. They then sealed the points when  O Donnell set up Campbell  to drill low past McCole .

Hannon Greene Insurances Fr O Gara Cup 

Greencastle Youths 2

Moville Res 0

A very even first half an hour with both teams only creating half chances as the defences stayed on top. The first big chance of the game fell to Greencastle when a through ball sent Ronan Doherty clear. Doherty went past Stephen Tellas in the Moville goal  but Oisin Lynch made it back to make a great clearance off the line. On the stroke of half time Kyle Harkin let go with a rocket of a strike from 30 yards which crashed of the bar. Greencastle worked the ball back into the box again and Kyle Harkin was brought down in the box. Kyle stepped up himself to put Stephen Tellas the wrong way and give Greencastle the lead .  Another even start to the second half with both teams battling hard. With 15 minutes to go Greencastle increased their lead when a move started by Evan Davenport in nets worked its way up the field with Christy Hegarty lifting the ball over Stephen Tellas for Ronan Doherty to score at the back post.Both teams battled hard without many chances being created to see Greencastle take the spoils in the local derby.

Carn Res 2

QPS  Youths 0

In blustery conditions in St Patrick’s Park it was the visitors who had the wind in the first half and almost took the lead when Oisin McIntyre raced in behind but Carn keeper Dan McDaid pulled off a great stop low to his right. QPS continued to press but it was Carn who took the lead on 15 minutes. Dayton Cooke dispatched a penalty after Conor McLaughlin was brought down. Moments later it was two nil when Shay Fallon won the ball on the half way line and made a mazy run through the QPS defence. He then played the ball across the six yard box where Shane McGuiness had the easy task of slotting home. The half time score was two nil but both sides were in it. Second half it was Carn who started strongest with a couple of Dylan Cooke long range efforts going narrowly wide. QPS didn’t cause Carn many problems in the second half but defended well with Adam Breslin keeping their defensive line strong. Just before the final whistle Dion Diver came close with a low shot from twelve  yards  but  Carn advanced to the second round.


Clonmany  Res 5

Culdaff Res 0

First division Clonmany were too strong and experienced for  a youthful Culdaff side from Division Two. Clonmany opened the scoring on 11minutes after a Niall McLaughlin corner fell to Mark McLaughlin to volley past Dermot Callaghan from six yards. When Callaghan failed to collect a Steve Harkin through ball on 13 minutes it fell kindly for McLaughlin to slot home his second.  McLaughlin then completed his hat trick with an inswinging corner which eluded all and sailed into the net. Before the break the homeside added a fourth after Jake O Donnell found Harkin who evaded two challenges before seeing his  effort well parried by Callaghan but the loose ball fell to Niall McLaughlin to hammer to the roof of the net. Culdaff had the first chance of the second half when Niall Gordon unleashed an effort from the edge of the area but Kieran Friel turned it around the post at full stretch. Clonmany regained the upper hand  and completed the scoring when substitutes Ben Gill and Conor Doherty combined for the latter to cross to O’Doherty who controlled , turned and hammered home. The remainder of the game  a dour fragmented affair and the home side advanced as expected.

Mark Mc Laughlin with a hat trick for Clonmany Reserves today

Redcastle Res 1

Carrowmena FC 5

Carrowmena proved much too strong for a youthful Redcastle team and went ahead after five minutes when Mark McGonagles shot from twenty yards found the top corner. The visitors made it two nil after 19 minutes when a cross from Mark McLaughlin was put low into the net by Adam Harkin. Midway through the half Mark Dohertys pass set up Paul McGowan to score low into the net from twenty  yards. Redcastles best chance of the first half was a free kick from Conor McCallion well saved by Mickey Noone. Carrowmena started the second half well and went four  up when Jude Harkins through ball put Adam Harkin in on goals and he rounded the keeper to slot home on the hour mark. Number five arrived on 79 minutes  when Mark McGonagles cross was tapped home by Sean Duffy at the near post.  Redcastle got a late consolation on the 90th minute when a cross from Conor McCallion was headed home by Gary Kelly from six  yards.


Buncrana Res 3

Carn FC 4

This all first division clash was a keenly contested affair at Castle Park. Carn opened the scoring after Ross Farren was well placed at the back post to fire past Oran McBride in the hearts goal. Buncrana responded and a crossfield pass from Murphy found Jack Soal who shot just wide. They equalised on 33 minutes after Kevin O Loughlin fired a superb twenty yards free to the top corner. But Carn responded and regained the lead after Lorcan Bradley  fired a lovely curling effort past McBride. They increased their lead before the break when Cade Cooke fired low to the bottom corner from the edge of the area. But Buncrana started the second half well and reduced the deficit when Aaron Cleary advanced from midfield and  finished well from the edge of the area. But once again Carn responded and made it four two after a free kick broke for Farren to slot home his second of the game. Eoin McNamee then converted a penalty  for the home side sending Ben Miller the wrong way but Carn held firm for the remainder of the game to advance.

Aileach Youths 4

Gleneely Colts 5

In the early exchanges  both Christy McDaid for the visitors and Daithi Grant for the home side were off target with efforts. Gleneely then took the lead when Paul Doherty ran through the home defence to shoot low to the net. But the home side levelled midway through the half after good work from Benny Hegarty ended with a lay off for Ciaran Bradley  to fire home. Gleneely then had  a purple patch and regained the lead after an effort McDaid strike went in off the post to put the visitors ahead. They made it three one when McDaid converted from the penalty spot before Vinny McKenna made it for one after  good work from Doherty. Aileach rallied and reduced the deficit before the break when Bradley threaded a pass into the path of Dillon McGrory who finished well. Aileach kept their momentum going on the restart and reduced the deficit to the minimum when a good move from McGrory and Bradley ended with Hegarty slotting home. They made it four all then when Hegarty sent Kevin Boyle clear of the visitors defence and he fired home. The home side were rampant then but were caught on the break when Shay Harkin advanced and crossed for  Conor Hegarty to slot home the winner.

Inish  Engineering  Division Two    A   

Illies Res 2

Cockhill Res 0

Cockhill started the better and Sean Bradley fired over the bar when well placed before  Marc Doherty shot straight at Graham Doherty in the home goal when he should have done better. Illies then hit the visitors on the break and opened the scoring after Gavin Dohertys deep cross found Ruairi Greene to slot low past Donal O Brien. Illies started the second half well and Gavin Doherty  had an effort saved by O Brien. They increased their lead when an inswinging Oran Doherty corner said all the way to the net.  They had another chance when Oran Doherty crossed for Paddy Doherty but he headed wide when well placed. Cockhill put the pressure on  in the last quarter but  both Kieran McElroy and Ronan McDaid had efforts well saved by Doherty.

Inish  Engineering  Division Two    B     

Rashenny Res 3

Glengad Res 2

Glengad got off to a dream start in the second minute when Caolan McColgan squared the ball inside the area for Paul McGonagle to drill past Fergal Diver from twelve yards. But the home side rallied and equalised on 16 minutes after Abdul Al Rasheed outpaced the visitors defence and saw his powerful effort tipped over  by Danny McGonagle. But from the corner the ball fell to Diarmait Keogh who rifled home though a crowded area. Minutes later Rashenny took the lead when an Aaron Cregan cross fell to Rasheed on the edge of the area  and he fired to the roof of the net. It got better for the home side midway through the half when they added a third goal. Cregan this time found space inside the area to shoot low to the far corner from fourteen yards. Glengad responded before the break with McColgan advancing on the right but his effort was well saved by Diver. Glengad dominated the second half  but Rashenny had the first chance after a Rasheed effort was partially cleared to Keogh whose follow up  was blocked by a defender.  Glengad raised the tempo and McGonagle fired narrowly over from distance before Niall McColgan evadd two  tackles and fired just past the post from the edge of the area. They reduced the deficit  on the hour mark after the unmarked Conor McGonagle slotted home at the back post following a corner. A brilliant defensive tackl then from Eoin Fowley denied McGonagle as he bore down on goal and the same player had the final chance to salvage a point  but headed over from a corner.