Match Reports Sunday 27th February

Sunday 27th February 

Ulster Junior Shield Semi Finals  

Carrowmena  FC 1

Illies Res     1 Carrowmena win 4-3 on pens

As with a lot of semi finals they are tight affairs and this was no exception. The opening half saw Illies with the advantage of the wind have a lot of possession but the home defence stood firm.

The visitors had the first chance on 11 minutes when Nathan McLaughlin broke clear on the right but fired straight at Kyle Dougal in the home goal. In a quick break midway through the half the home side took the lead after Ruairi Dougal and Puaric Gillen combined to release Ronan Doherty who evaded a challenge and saw his low cross poked past Graham Doherty  from eight yards by Michael Henry. Illies rallied and when Liam O Connor and Alan Fletcher combined to find Martin Doherty his twenty yards effort was well gathered by Dougal.  Doherty then saw a well hit free from the edge of the area on the stroke of half time also gathered by the home keeper Dougal. The first chance of the second half did not come until the 68th minute when a Puaric Gillen effort from twenty five yards was well saved by Graham Doherty. Illies suffered a blow on 73 minutes after Patrick O Connor was red carded for a second caution. They went close to an equaliser five minutes later when Fletcher s well hit shot was superbly tipped round the post by Dougal. Carrowmena then almost doubled their lead after Henry found Jude Harkin whose close range effort came back off the post before the visitors defence cleared. Then in injury time the visitors forced extra time when player manager Dominic Doherty converted a penalty awarded for a hand ball to send the game into extra time. The only clear cut chance  in extra time came late in the second half to the home side when Ryan McDermott sent Mark Browne to clear to beat the  offside trap but his low effort was brilliantly saved. In the shootout  the home side edged it to advance to the final against Glencar Celtic.

Glencar Celtic 3

Buncrana Hearts Res     1

Buncrana started the brighter in blustery conditions and had the first shot on goal with  Liam McCarron firing over from twenty yards on 7 minutes. Glencar had an opportunity midway through the half  after good play from Barron  who fed Ciaran Maloney but he fired his shot over. Buncrana then took the lead on 28 minutes with Christy McKinley capitalising on some indecisive defending to race in on goal and coolly slot past Paul McCauley. Pajo Rafferty was causing the Buncrana defence plenty of problems and his cross on 31 minutes just eluded Barron. Two minutes later and Rafferty tried his luck from twenty yards produced a good save from Oran McBride who pushed it away for a corner. From the resultant corner McBride produced a good save but Rafferty following up poked it home from five yards for the equaliser. On the stroke of half time Glencar went in front and once again it was Rafferty  getting in down the left and floating a lovely cross to the back post for Maloney to head home. Buncrana almost equalised in the opening minute of the second half when  McCarron unleashed a thunderous shot which McCauley superbly tipped onto the post and away for a corner. Glencar then increased their lead on the hour mark  from another corner  after Lilly’s header was superbly saved by McBride but Rafferty was quickest to react and fire home once again from five yards.  Buncrana pushed to get back in the game but only had shots from McCarron & Micheal Doherty that McCarron dealt with comfortably. At the final whistle Glencar advanced deservedly to the final.


Jackie Crossan Premier Division    

Buncrana Hearts 1

Moville Celtic 0

Buncrana dominated the majority of the half and on 7 minutes a James Adair cross found Mikey Friel who controlled turned and saw his shot well saved by Ryan Coyle. They took the lead a couple of minutes after this when Friel advanced on the right and played the ball inside to Eoin Murphy who drilled a superb twenty yards effort to the bottom corner. Aaron McDaid then saw an effort punched clear by Coyle before the same player headed over following a Bart Wesolowski cross.Moville tried to respond and Marc Bell found space inside the area but fired over the bar.  Buncrana resumed on the offensive and Coyle made a superb save to deny McDaid before Jerry Gills corner was headed wide from close range by Wesolowski. The home side continued in control in the second half and and Wesolowski had another effort saved by Coyle. Good hold up play by Friel then saw him slip the ball across for Wesolowski who inexplicably missed the target from five yards. Friel again released Wesolowski in the 70th minute but he was denied gain by Coyle. The hearts almost paid the price for their profligacy in front on goal on 79 minutes when a Conor Doherty cross found substitute Michael McNaught whose goal bound header was cleared off the line by Ryan Doherty. In the latter stages Wesolowski was twice denied by good saves from Coyle as the Hearts clinched the points.

Greencastle FC 3

Aileach FC 2

There was a minute s silence at the start of the game in memory of Duncan Moirs brother Tony who sadly passed away  recently.Greencastle threw themselves right back into the title race  with this excellent three two win at Chapel Lane to avenge an  earlier league defeat at Lakeside. They took the lead on 3 minutes after Jack  Coyle pounced on a defensive mistake to drill past Darragh McLaughlin in the Aileach goal.  But the reigning champions  equalised midway through the half when a corner kick seemed to come off a defender and into the net at the near post with Gavin Doherty wheeling away in celebration. But Greencastle hit back and regained the lead  on the stroke of half time when a back pass to McLaughlin saw the ball take a wicked bobble and the alert Nigel McMonagle pounced to slot home.  Aileach had a lot of possession in the second half but failed to create any clear cut chances with Ciaran Diver doing a good job in front of Michael Barr and DJ Canavan. Midway through the half  the home side increased their lead after substitute Seamus McLaughlin played a superb through ball to McMonagle who drilled a brilliant finish low to the corner from twenty yards. Aileach tried hard to get into the game but all they had to show was a late consolation goal from Paddy Slevin deep into injury time after the home defence failed to clear.

Carn FC 2

Illies Celtic 0

Illies broke the deadlock on 3 minutes when Paul Doherty broke on the left wing and crossed for Liam Grant who laid it off  to Liam Doherty who drove a low powerful shot past Kyle Harkin to the bottom right corner of the net from  fifteen yards. Carn almost equalized  when a Michael McDermott pass from midfield found Cian Burke who rounded the defender  but fired narrowly wide from the edge of the area. Illies responded and  when a Liam Grant pass from midfield found Kevin McGonagle he failed to hit the target when well placed inside the area. Before the intervak the home side had another chance  with  Christopher Diver breaking on the right and crossing for Cian Burke whose low  shot  was well  parried away by Jonathan Noone in the Illies goal. But it was Illies who doubled their lead in the opening minute of the second half when Liam Grant advanced on the right wing and saw Harkin off his line and lobbed the ball over him to the bottom right corner of the net from 25 yards. Carn  then missed a golden opportunity to pull one back when Cade Cooke  laid it off for Kyran Cantwell but from 10 yards he failed to hit the target. Illies nearly trebled their lead on 67 minutes after Grant laid it off to Adrian Doherty whose low ground shot was well saved by Harkin. Carn missed another opportunity to get a consolation goal in the 85th minute   after  Lorcan Bradley and  Christopher Diver  combined to tee up  Cade  Cooke  but he shot high to the left and wide from 15 yards. 


Glengad United 3

Cockhill Youths 1

In an uneventful first half the only chances of not came to the home side.  They had an early chance after Stephen McLaughlin crossed for Joe Doherty but he failed to hit the target from ten yards. Before the break then Seamus Doherty sent Terence Doherty through but he was denied by a superb last ditch Bobby Bradley tackle. All the action came in the final twenty minutes of the game. Glengad took the lead on 72minutes after Terence Doherty controlled McLaughlins cross turned and fired low past Eoin Colhoun  from ten yards. But Cockhill got back on terms in the 80th minute when a quick throw released Christopher Duffy and his low cross was bundled home at the back post by substitute Oisin O Flaherty. Glengad regained the lead within minutes however with lee McColgan and Terence Doherty combining to tee up McLaughlin to slot home  from ten yards. With Cockhill throwing caution to the win in the closing stages the home side broke and Terence Doherty held off a defender before rounding Colhoun and slotting to the empty net.

Strand Hotel Division One

Clonmany Res 5

Redcastle United   1

In the early exchanges Jack Ferry for the visitors had a shot saved by Kieran Friel while at the other end Mark McLaughlin was denied  by a good save from Michael McCole. Clonmany got on top then for a spell with Marty Doherty off target with a free before Mark Mclaughlin fired just wide from a tight angle. They took the lead on 20 minutes after Marty Doherty fed McLaughlin on the edge of the area and he drilled low to the corner giving McCole  no chance. Redcastle replied with Ronan Hoy firing over the bar before they equalised on 36 minutes.  Darragh McConway broke on the right and his cross was swept home first time by Ferry from fourteen yards. But Clonmnay hit back and two goals in as many minutes put them in the driving seat. First a Mclaughlin cross was poked home from six yards by Brian Devlin before  Mclaughlin ran onto a Joe Doherty ball over the top before firing to the top corner to make it three one. On the stroke of half time Hoy had another effort well saved by Friel. The same player  was unlucky five minutes after the resumption when his effort crashed off the bar and minutes later at the other end Mclaughlin collected a long ball forward and turned to fire a shot from inside the area to the top corner. Hoy then had another chance but fired straight at Friel while Mclaughlin saw another well struck shot crash back off the crossbar. The home side made it five  on 68 minutes when Steve Harkin headed home Dohertys corner. The final chance also fell to the visitors when Gavin Grant beat the advancing Friel to the ball but fired wide of the gaping goal.



Aileach RES 2

The home side spurned a great chance in the 9th minute after Eoghan Rafferty crossed for the unmarked Darragh McDermott but he headed over the bar. Aileach responded and took the lead when a James Wallace free found the unmarked Cathal McElhinney who headed past Oisin Burke from ten yards. Burke then saved well from a Conor McMacken effort from distance. The home side responded and Josh Boyle dragged one effort across the face of goal before Raffery was off target with a couple of efforts. The visitors had the final chance of the half but Paddy Currans shot was well gathered by Burke.The home side threatened first on the resumption with Boyle feeding David Healy who turned and saw his left footed effort well held by David McGeady. At the other end Paul McGrorys ball over the top found Michael McElroy  but Burke was equal to his effort. Aileach then doubled their lead on 62 minutes after Curran  released Stephen Doherty who scored with a superb chip over the advancing Burke from twenty five yards. But the Point suddenly raised their game and Rafferty  took a good save from McGeady with a well struck free from the left. They reduced the deficit when Boyle scored with a superb half volley from a tight angle low to the bottom corner. Within a minute they had got back on terms after Deaglan Bowen broke on the left and his low cross was slotted past McGeady from six yards by McDermott. They continued to press looking for the winner and both McDermott and Ross Nicholas saw free kicks saved by McGeady in the closing stages.


Culdaff FC 7

Gleneely Colts 1

Played before a big crowd in windy conditions the homeside took the lead on 9 minutes after Aiden Cunningham released Bryan McCandless whose intitial shot was blocked by Oran Raymond but the ball spun up and McCandless followed up to head home. Gleneely equalised from the penalty spot within minutes with ben Millar converting after Corey O’Brien had been upended. On 18 minutes Culdaff regained the lead after Raymond parried Cunninghams corner but Ryan Greene reacted quickest to force the loose ball home. On 33 minutes Raymond produced a brilliant save to tip a Jack O Brien shot round the post. On the stroke of half time  the homeside went close again when substitute Keith Norris crossed for Jack McLaughlin but he headed narrowly over the bar. Culdaff got off to a quick start on the resumption and increased their lead when Greene collected Martin Mclaughlins kick out and threaded a pass into the path of McLaughlin who advanced and slipped the ball low past Raymond to make it three one. Gleneely tried to respond and Miller was denied by a fine block from Dillon Ruddy before Paul Gamble fired an effort wide. Culdaff  upped the tempo at this stage and substitute Keith Norris ran clear to finish well past Raymond after good approach play between Greene and O’Brien in midfield. On 75minutes it was five one after Norris squared the ball to Jack McLaughlin on the edge of the area and he scored  with a superb  chip over Raymond.  Another substitute Niall Gordon got in on the scoring act when he made it six one poking home from close range after another superb cross from Norris on the left. Culdaff completed the scoring in the final minute when  Norris stabbed the ball home from close range after a defensive mix up.

Dunree United 2

Glengad  Res 0

Glengad had the first opportunity of the game when Gary Kelly unleashed an effort from the edge of the area which Adam Harrigan saved well. Dunree responded and were unlucky after Shaun Mulherns header was cleared off the line before a Jamie Brosnan free was tipped over by Michael McLaughlin. Glengad spurned a great chance to open the scoring after Kelly broke clear  of the home defence and in a one on one Harrigan came out on top.  The home side availed of this let off and they took the lead before the interval after Thomas Mulhern turned smartly inside the area and fired low to the corner. Dunree started the second half well and William  Doherty blazed over the bar from close range. They doubled their lead on the hour mark after Conor  Barretts effort was well parried by McLaughlin but  Gerry Farrell pounced to slot home. The visitors then spurned a great chance to reduce the deficit after Kelly blazed over the bar with only Harrigan to beat. At the other end Farrell had a good chance after running onto  Barretts through ball  but he failed to hit the target. With Glengad pushing forward to try and get back into the game Dunree were dangerous on the break and from one such break Adam Barrett unleashed a shot but McLaughlin was equal to it.  

Inishowen Engineering Division Two  A  

Sea Rovers 5

Rasheney FC 3

Rovers got off to a dream start when Conor McGeoghaghan broke clear on the left and fired a powerful low shot past Damien Friel in the Rasheney goal. They increased their lead midway through the half after Andrew Gallagher was fouled just outside the area and McGeoghaghan stepped up to fire the free kick round the wall to the net. Rasheney were then dealt a further blow when Peter Doherty collected a second yellow card and they were reduced to ten men. But the visitors rallied and got back into the game in the 43rd minute when Eoin Mclaughlin headed home  from a corner to make it two one at the break. Rasheney had the first chance of the second period but Charlie Doherty fired  just wide when well placed.  Rovers had a purple patch then with three goals in a ten minute spell. McGeoghan completed his hat trick before Andrew Gallaghan converted a penalty and then Daniel Gallagher crossed for namesake Andrew to slot home and make it five one.  Rasheney responded and McLaughlin saw a free kick well saved by Ben Collins who minutes later saved from Ethan Doherty.  Rasheney struck then for two goals from free kicks in the closing minutes with Damien Friel  firing a thirty yards free to the net before Charlie Doherty added another goal heading home another Friel free kick.

Cockhill Res 3

Carn Res 2

Cockhill took a deserved lead  on 22 minutes after a  cross to the back post by Liam Bradley was headed on to the bar by Dylan McDaid but Kevin McDaid was on hand to rifle the ball in to  the top corner from 12 yards giving Daniel McDaid in nets for Carn no chance.On the hour mark Cockhill were awarded a penalty. Liam Bradley broke down the right in behind the Carn defence and his cross was handled in the box. Luke Bradley stepped up to slot the penalty home low to Daniel McDaid’s right post.Ten minutes later Carn found a way back in to the match. A deep cross in to the back post caught the Cockhill defence out and Daire Tully found space and finished well at far post. Cockhill continued to push forward and restored their two goal lead with 10 minutes remaining. A quick counter attack found Dylan McDaid in space who showed great composure to finish low past Daniel McDaid from just inside the box to cap off a fine overall performance on his first senior start. Carn were not done yet and kept the pressure on Cockhill and pulled one back in injury time when Daire Tully got in behind the Cockhill defence and finished well for his second of the match but Cockhill held on for a hard earned win.

Inishowen Engineering  Division  Two  A

P W D L F A Pts
Carrowmena FC 15 11 2 2 59 29 35
Rasheney FC 15 10 0 5 42 26 30
Cockhill Res 15 7 4 4 47 26 25
Buncrana Res 12 8 0 4 37 25 24
Illies Res 13 7 3 3 24 17 24
Sea Rovers 14 7 3 4 38 31 24
Carn Res 15 6 2 7 47 39 20


Inishowen Engineering Division Two    B   11am

Culdaff Res 1

Dunree Res 4

Dunree got off to a dream start in the third minute under the lights at Caratra Park when Callum Booth slipped the ball in to Neil Moran who controlled and slotted low past Dermot Callaghan from six yards. Culdaff settled and equalised in the 25th minute when Dean Doherty played a short corner to Darragh McCormick who sidestepped a defender and unleashed an unstoppable shot to the top corner from twenty yards past Philip Doherty. But Dunree regained the lead before the interval after a defensive mix up allowed Booth to drill the ball low across Callaghan and inside the far post. After a slow start to the second half Dunree increased their lead with Mickey Grant slipping a ball through for Gary Breslin to beat the offside trap and slot the ball home. Culdaff rallied and were unlucky when an Oisin McLaughlin effort from a tight angle came back off the post after he had raced onto Matt McDaids ball over the top. Culdaff continued to press but were caught on the break in the 83rd minute when Liam Grant ‘s effort was well parried by Callaghan but Ryan O’Donnell was on hand to fire the loose ball to the roof of the et to make the final scoreline four one to the visitors.

Rasheney Res 0

Aileach Res 2

The visitors enjoyed large spells of possession in the opening half and Gareth McElroy saw one effort well saved by Roger McGilloway before seeing an angled shot just drift past the far post. Dylan Mcgrory then had a shot parried by the keeper but both Benny Hegarty and Ethan O’Toole failed to capitalise. For the home side Trevor Doherty tried to release Brendan Grant on the right but his pass was over hit while Mark Diver hooked over from a corner. Aileach broke the deadlock on the stroke of half time when Hegarty drove home from the penalty spot after Matthew McDermott had been upended inside the area. Aileach doubled their lead four minutes after the restart when after a defensive mix up Hegarty managed to squeeze the ball home from a tight angle. Hegarty then had another effort which flashed past the post with McGilloway stranded. Rasheney tried to respond and when Kyle McGilloway crossed from the right the ball fell to Trevor Doherty but he scuffed his effort when well placed. They had the final effort of the game also when James McConalogue unleashed a rising effort from twenty two yards which Ryan Fox in the Aileach goal claimed under the crossbar.


Moville Res 1

Clonmany Youth 5

Clonmany dominated the opening period and took the lead on 9 minutes after an Aaron Harkin corner was headed past keeper John Harkin by Eamon Reidy. They doubled their lead four minutes later when Harkin advanced from midfield and fired a low shot to the bottom corner from the edge of the area.  Moville responded and from a corner Danny Murphy saw his header crash off the crossbar. Two goals inside a minute then gave the home side a mountain to climb. Firstly Harkin scored direct with an inswinging corner before the same player ran though the home defence and slotted past the keeper to complete his hat trick. The visitors made it five nil before the interval when Aaron Porters shot took a deflection and wrongfooted Harkin. Moville improved in the second half and they got a goal back on the hour when Michael McCarrons long range effort flew past Killian McCarron. McCarron then saved well to deny  Conor Lafferty but the visitors defence saw out the remainder of the game keeping the home side at bay to leave Clonmany five one winners.

Inishowen Engineering  Division  Two  B

P W D L F A Pts
Clonmany Youths 17 7 2 8 39 44 23
Moville Res 15 7 1 7 33 35 22
Aileach Youths 14 6 2 6 26 38 20
Dunree Res 17 4 2 11 29 60 14
Culdaff Res 16 3 2 11 26 44 11
Rasheney RES 16 2 1 13 6 48 7