Match Reports Sunday 26th November

Gregory Kearney Inter League Cup

Inishowen    5

SML              4

Played in wintry conditions in Maginn Park last Tuesday night Inishowen retained the Gregory Kearney cup with a narrow victory in the end. They started well and on 7 minutes opened the scoring when Thomas McMonagle split the visitors defence

with a superb pass for Conor Barrow  to race clear and finish confidently  to the net from fifteen yards. They  increased their lead when after good build up play Barrow cut in from the left and played a beautiful pass into the path of Conor Keddy cutting in from the right and he finished low to the corner from sixteen yards. The SMl responded midway through the half and when Dylan Doherty in the home goal parried a John Ferry effort Mickie McCreadie was on hand to slot the loose ball home. But Inishowen upped the tempo again and Adam Byrne sent Keddy through but when he was forced wide he pulled the ball back for Gavin Doherty to control before firing low into the bottom corner from twelve yards. Doherty then had another effort saved before firing just wide while Darren Mullarkey forced a fine save from another free kick. Just before the break Inishowen increased their lead when McMonagle despatched a twenty yards free kick to the bottom corner.Leading four one at the break Inishowen got  sloppy in the second period losing their shape and overplaying the ball. A defensive pass was intercepted by John Ferry on 53minutes and he fired a superb twenty yards effort to the bottom left hand corner. But Inishowen responded positively on this occasion with Barrow sending Gavin Doherty clear on the right and he fired a low cross to the back post where Mullarkey crashed the ball home from six yards. After this despite having numerous good attacking positions Inishowen failed to capitalise on them and let the visitors back into the game. On 77 minutes Inishowen were caught on the break from their own corner and were caught trying to play offside but McCreadie raced clear and finished superbly to the top corner. The SML set up a grandstand finish on 82 minutes when a corner was cleared to McCreadie twenty yards out and he hammered a superb effort to the top corner to complete his hat trick. But in the final five minutes Inishowen got their discipline and shape back and twice Brendan McLaughlin had efforts turned behind for corners and they saw the game out after that.


With only two players starting that started in Monaghan there was plenty of positive performances for the home side that will give the management food for thought.

Ulster Junior Cup  

Killylough            1

Greencastle FC     2

Greencastle made the long trek to Clones Town and were made to go all the way to extra time before advancing to the next round. Greencastle started well and Nigel McMonagle and Christy Hegarty were both off target with efforts before Gerry Gill headed a Matthew Henry cross wide. Killylough first effort came from a Ronan Sterritt effort which Dylan Doherty saved well. McMonagle then broke on the left and crossed for Hegarty who fired narrowly over. The last chance of the half fell to Hegarty who got on the end of McMonagle’s cross but fired just wide.  Grencastle had the first chance of the second half when Hegarty headed a Gill cross just wide before Henry evaded two challenges but his effort was well saved by Alvin Rouse. On 75 minutes the home side took the lead when McCrudden dispossessed keeper Doherty and slotted home. Greencastle got back on terms minutes later when Rouse parried a Gerry Gill effort and McMonagle fired home from close range.  The last chance of the game fell to the visitors but a James Henry volley flew just wide. In the first half of extra time Shaun Doherty fired just wide before Hegarty broke on the left and squared for McMonagle to slot home from six yards. In the second period Killylough tried to press but failed to threaten Doherty in the Greencastle goal.

Kildrum Tigers             2

Culdaff FC                     4

Reversed to Caratra Park Culdaff took full advantage and advanced to the next round after a feisty affair. Kildrum started the better and Johnathan Carlin had one effort well gathered by Darragh McLaughlin before the same player looped another effort over the bar.  Culdaff gradually got a grip and a Noel Mclaughlin cross was superbly defended by  Jamie McKinney before  Michael Coyle had an effort blocked and Brendan Mclaughlin saw a well struck shot parried away by Kenan Gibson. On 29 minutes Culdaff took the lead when Coyle slotted home after Gibson failed to hold a Mclaughlin free. Minutes later they made it two nil after a sweeping move ended with Noel McLaughlin’s cross parried by Gibson who recovered to block Bryan McCandless’s effort but Brendan Mclaughlin tucked the rebound home. Kildrum got a goal back immediately after a long free into the Culdaff area was not cleared and William Lynch slotted home. Culdaff hit back with Coyle heading a Darren Mullarkey cross just over before on 43 minutes Coyle knocked back a Mullarkey cross to McLaughlin who controlled and fired into the bottom corner from eight yards. Kildrums Brian Coll fired a free kick just over after the break before McLaughlin’s driven cross found Coyle who glanced wide. Culdaff made it four one then after  superb Mullarey free was headed across to Noel Mclaughlin who headed over Gibson from a very narrow angle. On 67 minutes kildrum reduced the deficit when Lynch fired a free kick from the right hand side of the area across the face of goal and in off the far post. Kildrum kept pushing and Damien Crossan was denied by a fine save from Mclaughlin before Crossan headed over from a corner under pressure from McLaughlin.

Kilmacrennan C                     3

Aileach FC                              4     AET

In a crcking encounter at Rathmullan the visitors struck first on 5 minutes when Darren McMonagle crossed for Dermot Doherty to fire past Jason Hegarty at the back post. Kilmacrennan came back into the game and on 23 minutes Caolan McDaid was denied by a fine save from Peter Devlin before on 41 minutes Paddy Sheridan saw his effort clip the outside of the far post. Aileach increased their lead on the hour mark when Anthony Doherty intercepted a back pass and rounded Hegarty to slot home. But minutes later the home side got a goal back after a deflected effort fell kindly for Ryan Shields to slot home from ten yards. On 82 minutes they levelled when Caolan McDaid nipped in on a poor pass to slip the ball past Devlin. In the first period of extra time Caoimhin McFeely broke and when his initial effort was blocked by Hegarty he squeezed the rebound home from a very tight angle. But on the stroke of half time of the first period McDaid got in behind the Aielach defence and fired low past Devlin to level things up again. Aileach struck for what proved to be the winner on 106minutes after Darren McMoangle broke on the right and his pin point cross was headed home by brother Thomas. This time Aielach did not relinquish the lead.

Ballybofey United       0

Buncrana Hearts          6

On an excellent surface Buncrana were simply too strong for the home side who battled well throughout but failed to trouble the Haerst defence. The game was effectively over after fifteen minutes when Hearts led by three goals to nil. Stephen McHugh fired them into an early lead before Kieran McDaid and Bart Wesoloski added further goals. Wesoloski added a second before the break with another good finish. Buncrana continued to dominate in the second period  but spurned a number of good chances. McHugh and James McGonagle added late goals to make the final scoreline six nil.

Illies Celtic                    2

Cappry Rovers             3

Cappry started the better and broke the deadlock on 10 minutes after a Conor Doherty through ball was not cut out allowing Shane Carr to run on and slot low past Johnathan Noone from the edge of the area. They increased their lead midway through the half when Darren McNulty found Carr who again finished superbly low to the corner. Illies then had a great chance after a Gavin Doherty cross found Dominic Coyle but he headed wide. But on the stroke of half time  Doherty released Carr and he slid the ball home from twelve yards to complete his  hat trick. Illies came more into the game on the restart and got a goal back after Adrian Donaghey Doherty released Paddy Doherty to fire low to the corner past Conor McBride from fifteen yards. Liam Grant then cut in from the right but McBride made a stunning save to turn the ball round the post. Donaghey Doherty then burst into the area on 74 minutes and squared for Coyle to slot home and make it three two. Cappry broke and when Carr was upended  but McNulty’s spot kick was well saved by Noone low to his right. In the final minute Illies had a chance after a Grant corner was headed  wide by Michael Gallagher.

Ulster Junior Shield  

Rasheney  FC               9

Carn Res                       2

Reserve side Carn were simply no match for first division Rasheney.

The home side took the lead on 12minutes after  Declan McLaughlin cross found Brendan Doherty who headed home . Another sublime Mclaughlin cross minutes later was turned home at the back post by Doherty again minutes later.Doherty then had an effort rebound off the bar before Matthew McLaughlin fired wide when well placed and Anthony Doherty fired wide from twenty yards. Rasheney made it three nil on 34 minutes when Doherty set up Matthew McLaughlin who finished well from fifteen yards. Carns first chance came before the break when Dayton Cooke fed Tiernan Coyne through the middle but his effort was gathered by Sean Friel.Rasheney upped the tempo and on 49 minutes Anthony Doherty laid the ball back for Charlie Doherty to fire high past Dean Mason from twenty yards. Carn then got a goal back when Coyne fed Niall McGuinness who fired a  superb effort past Sean Friel from the edge of the area. But Rasheney replied and Declan Mclaughlin saw an effort crash off the bar  before Brendan Doherty ‘s run and shot came off a defender and past Mason to make it five one. Charlie Doherty made it sic with a shot from fifteen yards before Brendan Doherty converted a penalty after he had been upended. On 78 minutes substitute Christy Ivers saw a long range shot parried by Mason  but he could not prevent the ball crossing the line. Carn kept battling and got a second goal when Adam McLaughlin crossed for Dayton Cooke to head home. But Rasheney hd the final say on 88 minutes when an Ivers cross was parried by Mason as far as Charlie Doherty who slotted home to complete his hat trick.

Redcastle United         3

Strand Rovers              1

Redcastle advance to the next round of the competition after hitting rovers for three early goals. But the Inishowen side took the foot of the pedal and rovers will feel aggrieved that they did not take something from the game. Redcastle took an early lead when a Brendan Murphy pile driver from twenty five yards came off the bar for  darragh McConway to slot the rebound home. Minutes later a well worked corner routine ended with Denim Mclaughlin converting at the back post. God build up play on the left ended with a Shaun Curran cross finding Jack McConalogue  who headed home from eight yards. Rovers started the second period well and got a goal back on the hour when after a defensive error Conor Greene capitalised and fired past McCole. They continued to press and both Greene and Kelly hit the bar and post respectively as Redcastle struggled to regain  a grip. But the Redcastle defence gradually  got a grip and they saw the game out to advance.

Moville Celtic               2       ( win 5.4 on penos )

Cockhill Youths            2

On 16minutes the visitors Jack McDaid fired a low shot across goal but there were no takers. Minutes later a Shay Mclaughlin effort is blocked by Ryan Coyle but Michael Doherty fired the rebound home from eight yards. Midway through the half the home side’s Norbert Indyka finds Finn McLaughlin but under pressure he fired wide from close range. Mclaughlin then had a shot well saved by Gary Robinson  and from the corner a Charlie Gill header is parried and cleared. Just before the break Moville equalise when Gill converted a penalty after Conor Doherty was upended.  Deep in injury time Gill released Michael McNaught but his effort was turned round the post. Early in the second half Emmet McCauley finds Dermot Harkin and he crossed for Conor Doherty to head past Robinson and give Moville the lead. A  Jack Keys cross  is then headed over by McNaught before the visitors equalise on 66 minutes after a Keegan Hegarty free is headed home by Jarlith Herrity. Moville substitute Kyle Harkin then had a shot saved by Robinson before on 83 minutes McNaught robs a defender and crosses for Boyce who is denied by a last ditch tackle from Michael Noone. Harkin then cuts in and  sees his goal bound effort take a deflection and go wide. Moville kept pressing and when a Tony Boyce effort deflected to Harkin his effort is well saved by Robinson. Cockhill almost snatched the win when a near post diving header from Michael Doherty saw the ball flash just wide. In the first period of extra time Cockhill s Jude Mullan went close with a back post header while in the second period Boyce raced clear for the home side  but lifted the ball over Robinson and just over the bar. In the shootout Moville emerged on top by five goals to four.

Glenea Res                   3   (win 6.5 on penos)

Dunree United             3

In wintry conditions for football it was the home side that qualified for the next round of the Ulster Shield with this hard fought victory. Glenea started well and went close on a couple of occasions before they opened the scoring on and 27 minutes when Martin Ferry reacted quickest to a loose ball in the box and he slotted home from a tight angle. Dunree equalized on 32 minutes when a mix up in the home defence allowed Tommy Doherty to get a run on at goal and he rounded the keeper to slot home. Both sides continued to look for a lead goal before halftime but without any success. In the second half Dunree took the lead in the opening minute when after good work by Philip McGuinness, he fired home from the edge of the box. Glenea pushed hard for an equalizer and came close through efforts from Kevin McFadden, Gerry Maguire and Shane Ferry.  With Glenea pushing on, Dunree looked to hit them on the break and came close a couple of times to extending their lead. Glenea found an equalizer deep in injury time when Dean Gallagher headed home a free-kick.  In extra time Glenea pushed hard for a winner and Shane Ferry came close to getting it but his header was well saved. Dunree regained the lead on 105 minutes when Philip McGuiness was played in and he slotted the ball home. Glenea equalized in the final minute when Chris Cannon’s through ball found Shane Ferry and he drilled home from close range. In the penalty shootout the home side held their nerve to win 6-5.

Cappry  Rovers Res     1

Aileach Res                  2

The home side shocked the visitors when they took the lead on 15 minutes when Kyle Lafferty controlled a cross and turned before drilling low past Ciaran Bradley from fifteen yards.On 25 minutes Ruairi Bradley was unlucky with a superb effort which crashed off the bar with the keeper beaten. On the half Aileach got back on terms when Sean McHugh fed Jordan McGeady who sidestepped two defenders and hammered low to the corner  from ten yards. Cappry replied and Lafferty broke on the left and cut inside but Bradley smothered well at his feet. Before the break Stephen Tabbitt raced onto a ball over the top from Conor Gallagher but his effort grazed the far post. Aileach dominated the second period but had to wait until 65 minutes to get the lead when Tabbitt raced clear and this time made no mistake firing home from the edge of the area. McHugh had an effort saved before Tabbitt  broke clear but a heavy touch allowed the keeper to advance and smother. On 85 minutes substitute Joe Johnstone released Ciaran McGrory but his weak effort was easily saved.

Jackie Crossan Premier Division            

Glengad United            6

QPS                               0

In a very one sided game Glengad opened the scoring as ear;y as the 4th minute when Shane Canning fed Seamus Doherty who fired low to the corner from the edge of the area. They doubled their lead on 21 minutes when Adam Byrne advanced and fed Patrick McDermott who converted the rebound after David Bell had saved his initial effort. McDermott then  intercepted a poor back pass and slotted past Bell  before Stephen Mclaughlin’s corner was flicked on by Michael Byrne  for Terence Doherty to head home. Just before the break Terence Doherty robbed a defender and slotted home to leave it five nil  at the break.  On the restart Conor Barrow cut in and fired in a shot which failed to trouble Kevin McLaughlin.  Glengad had to wait until the 80th minute to add to their lead when Adam Byrne crossed for Matthew Byrne to flick the ball home. The point were then reduced to ten men when Michael Nicholas was sent off for foul play.


Carn FC                                   2

Clonmany Shamrocks           5

An under strength home side fell behind on 4 minutes when Michael Devlin flicked on for Mark McLaughlin to drill low past Kyle Dougal from twelve yards. Carn had a chance after Cade Cooke fired just wide when he got on the end of a Shane Doherty cross. Clonmany increased their lead when a Mc Laughlin corner found Gary Doherty to fire to the top corner from eight yards.Midway through the half McLaughlin split the defence for Michael Devlin to fire low past Dougal and make it three nil. It then became four nil when McLaughlin crossed for the unmarked Devin to slot home from five yards. Carn replied before the break with Cooke finding Doherty but he fired over from fifteen yards. On 55 minutes Joe McKinney advanced on the right and fed Dermot Doherty whose effort came off the post to Shane Doherty who fired wide from ten yards. Carn reduced the deficit when Ryan Kelly fed Doherty and his cross was headed home to the top corner by Cooke from twelve yards. But Clonmany responded and made it five one when Mark Mclaughlin headed home after a corner.  Carn then made it five two on 74 minutes when Shane Doherty fired home after a corner from fifteen yards. Carn were reduced to ten men when Shane Doherty was sent off for foul play.

Strand Hotel Division One

Sea Rovers                    1

Gleneely Colts              1

In good mild conditions  Rovers started well with James McCloskey and William Logan both firing wide when well placed. But they took the lead on 17 minutes when a Logan free deceived all defenders and crossed the line despite the protests of the visitors. Gleneely replied when an Enda Folan twenty five yards free was turned onto the post and wide by Glen Watson. Gleneely had a lot of pressure  then before the break but failed to break down the home defence.

Gleneely started the stronger after the restart and on 51minutes Cory O Brien whose low effort from sixteen yards was well saved by Watson. On the hour mark Billy McCann saw a snapshot rebound off Watson to Christy Smith who slotted home. On 71 minutes Rovers Damien Ward fired just over the top.

Clonmany Res              1

Buncrana Res               3

The home side started well and had the first chance when Christy Harkin’s free wide on the right found Pearse McCarron who headed just over. Buncrana replied with Harry Forshaw free kick was well saved by Fergal Bradley in the home goal. Then Adam Doherty crashed a fine effort which rebounded off the post with Bradley beaten. The visitors opened the scoring on 23 minutes when Mark McFadden  got on the end of a Forshaw cross to loop a header into the top corner. There was little in the remainder of the half but the home side got back on terms on 51 minutes when Harkin fed Tiernan  McDonald who weaved past three defenders before drilling low to the corner from the edge of the area.  Buncrana upped the tempo  but Bradley made some superb saves from Doherty, McFadden and Doherty again .But Buncrana took the lead on 84 minutes when Doherty drove a superb effort across Bradley to the far corner. Bradley then denied McFadden diving full length to turn the ball away. But Buncrana made it three when an effort from Doherty came off the bar  and deflected off a defender and into the net.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two  

Moville Res                            3

Glengad Res                           2

Glengad had the first chance when a Paul McGonigle free from twenty yards crashed back off the bar. Moville replied and Ryan McColgan’s through ball just eluded Colin Doherty.  Glengad upped the tempo and a John McDaid effort flew just wide before a long ball from the visitors defence eluded Eoghan Gillen allowing PJ McDaid to slot home  and put the visitors in front.  Moville replied on the half hour with PJ Barr feeding McColgan who fired wide when very well placed. Just before the break Barr fed Conor Lafferty and he fired low past Michael McLaughlin from ten yards to leave it one all at the interval. Five  minutes after the break a Conor Lafferty corner was held by McLaughlin in the visitors goal. Glengad replied and took the lead when a Mc Gonigle effort came off the post to McDaid who fired home the rebound. But on the hour Barr released Lafferty and from a tight angle he fired low past Mclaughlin to equalise. Good work by McColgan saw his cross volleyed low to the bottom corner on 78 minutes by Lafferty to complete his hat trick. Glengad pressed hard in the closing stages but the home defence stood firm to claim the points.

Culdaff Res                            7

Greencastle Res                    4

Greencastle took the lead on ten minutes when                     unmarked at the back post headed past Daniel Mullarkey. Culdaff settled and when Joe O Connor crossed Niall Gordon slotted home from close range midway through the half. Just before half time a long range effort from O’Connor hit the underside of the bar before Henry gathered. On 55 minutes the home defence failed to deal with a long clearance and     Conor Gillen fired past Mullarkey.  Gillen then set up Daniel Rowan and he made no mistake to put Greencastle three one up. But Culdaff rallied and when a Matt McDaid effort was deflected into the path of Gordon he made no mistake to make it three two to the visitors.The home side equalised midway through the second period when Michael Fadden advanced and unleashed a brilliant effort from thirty five yards to the top corner.Culdaff then took the lead when Jack Mclaughlin beat two defenders and cut inside to fire  low past Stephen Henry. It became  five three when Aiden Cunningham ran onto a long ball from Daniel McDaid before firing low into the bottom corner. Greencastle rallied and reduced the deficit with Conor Gillen crossing for Ronan Doherty to head past Daniel Mullarkey from close range. But Culdaff rallied and McFadden advanced on the left and crossed for substitute Declan Noone to slide the ball home from close  range and make it six four. Culdaff sealed the tie when McDaid played Cunningham clear and he chipped Henry for a fine finish.

Dunree Res                  1

Redcastle Res              3

In an entertaining game the visitors got a dream start when a Terry McColgan free was headed home by Gary Kelly from five yards in the second minute. They increased their lead on 11 minutes when Evan Craig collected a loose ball and fired low past Roger McGilloway from just inside the eighteen yards area. Dunree replied with James Doherty finding Eamon Fullerton whose twelve yards effort crashed back off the bar. On 61 minutes James Doherty ‘s free  kick was headed home by Matin McDermott at the back post to reduce the deficit. But Redcastle regained their two goal cushion after a corner broke in the area to Kelly who turned smartly and fired low to the net from a  tight angle. Dunree pushed hard and a paddy Toland effort crashed off the post before a late effort from John Doherty came off the bar.


Illies Res                       2

Rasheney Res              5

The visitors took the lead after ten minutes after Matthew  Duffy tapped home after a goalmouth scramble. But Illies equalised when a Brendan Doherty shot came off the post and Joe McLaughlin fired the rebound home. Rasheney regained the lead on 22minutes when the ball broke to Damien Doherty on the edge of the area and he fired to the roof of the net past Kevin Gallagher who had replaced Graham Doherty in goals. They increased their lead on the half hour when Cornelius McCole stabbed the ball home from close range after the home defence failed to clear. Illies rallied and reduced the deficit on 38 minutes when Stephen McGonigle’s cross found McLaughlin to fire home from sixteen yards.  Ten minutes after the restart Duffy broke clear and chipped Gallagher from the edge of the area for a superb goal and made it four two. Illies replied and Shane Devlin fired narrowly over but Rasheney increased their lead on 75 minutes when Damien Doherty broke clear and fired low past Gallagher.