Match Reports Sunday 25th February

Oscar Traynor Inter League Trophy

Defence Forces      0

Inishowen               2

Played  on a difficult astro pitch surface in Newbridge Town Inishowen laid the foundations for this win with an excellent first half display.

But all that could have changed in the opening minutes when with the Inishowen defence appealing for offside  Tony Smith  ran through but his low effort was turned away by Dillon Doherty at full stretch. The home side continued to make the running and  Diarmuid Long  headed well over from a right wing cross.

Inishowen settled and good work on the right between Brendan McLaughlin  and Matthew Henry saw the latter advance into the area but his effort was deflected behind.In another good move Henry had another chance unmarked at the edge of the area but he curled his effort high and over the bar. After a good flowing move Inishowen gained a corner on 18 minutes and Kieran McDaid’s deep delivery was headed down and across Ronan O Reilly to the bottom corner by John G McLaughlin. Inishowen had another great chance when the ball broke to Henry at point blank range but he fired wide .

The defence forces were always dangerous on the break and Doherty had to be alert to turn a good effort from Long behind for a corner. But on the half hour a quick throw in on the left by McDaid found Terence Doherty who returned the ball to the Buncrana man and he played a superb one two with Matthew Byrne, who had made seventy yards to the the edge of the area, for McDaid to advance into the area and slip the ball past the stranded O Reilly for a goal of real quality. Inishowen continued to press and John G McLaughlin got on the end of another corner  but his header and eventual scramble was ultimately cleared by the home side with difficulty.  The Defence Forces almost got a goal back when a superb defence splitting past sent   Long  through the middle but keeper Doherty advanced to clear with his feet. Inishowen responded and on the stroke of half time Terence Doherty, who led the line superbly all day, broke clear and as he attempted to round O’Reilly was blatantly taken down by the keeper with a free kick and only a yellow card awarded. From the free McDaid’s thunderous driven effort  crashed off the post and away.  The Defence forces changed their shape to a three four three on the restart and pushed Inishowen back without creating many clear chances. Inishowen had a great chance to kill the game off when a brilliant break by McDaid on the right saw his  shot well saved by O Reilly befor another break by  McDaid saw his driven cross just elude the inrushing McLaughlin at the back post.Midway through the half  Sean Poutch’s superb cross from the right found substitute Derek Walsh coming in at the back post but he hit the side netting. Walsh then had a twenty yards  effort well saved by Dillon Doherty on 81 minutes. Inishowen broke with John G McLaughlin flicking on a corner to Terence Doherty who hooked it over O’Reilly and into the side netting. The home side then were awarded a free kick from twenty yards and Craig Short was unlucky to see his effort crash off the inside of the post before being cleared. Overall a hard but deserved victory sees Inishowen advance to the quarter finals away to Kilkenny.

The Inishowen Team who defeated the Defence Forces in Newbridge 

Strand Hotel First Division

Dunree United                   1

Buncrana Res                     1

In  good conditions  Dunree had the first chance on 20 minutes when Darryl Moran fed Daniel Mclaughlin whose low effort was well held by Eoghan O Doherty. Buncrana replied with a Kevin O Loughlin free falling to Michael Coyle whose first touch was poor and he fired wide. Midway through  the half the home side were awarded a penalty for handball and Liam Baldrick converted low into the right hand corner. Buncrans pushed hard and got back on terms on 85 minutes when the ball broke to Gerard Boyle and he fired past Philip Doherty from close range. In the last minute Peter O Neill broke clear and with O Doherty to beat he fired just over the bar.

Ulster Junior Cup Second Round

Cavan Town             3

Carn FC                     0

Carn started well with Aaron McCarron finding Dermot Doherty who fired over from twelve yards. Cavan replied with Jimmy Fallon feeding Brian Dolan whose cross was headed wide by Packie Sheridan. On 17 minutes a Philip Mullen cross found Fallon but his low  effort was well saved by Kyle Dougal. Carn replied with Michael McDermott and Gert Dzerins combining to find Cade Cooke but from ten yards he fired wide. Cooke then squared for the unmarked McDermott but he failed to hit the target from ten yards. Cavan replied and Kevin Morris laid off to Andy Graham whose effort was superbly parried by Dougal. Minutes after the restart Michael Smith fed Michael Dunnre on the right and his cross was powerfully fired just wide by Graham. Cavan Town broke the deadlock on 55minutes after Dunne ‘s cross was laid off by Fallon for Sheridan to fire low to the corner from twelve yards. Carn replied and when Shane Doherty was upended in the area but McDermott’s spot kick was parried by Gary o Rourke who recovered to gather his follow up effort. On 76 minutes  the home side  increased their lead when Sheridan advanced to hammer a fine effort from the edge of the area to the bottom left hand corner. Sheridan completed his hat trick on 81 minutes when he converted a Martin Dunne cross from fifteen yards. Carn had a late chance when McCarrons cross was headed over by Brandon Browne.

Ulster Junior Shield Semi Finals

Rasheney FC                       1

Moville Celtic                     0

Moville were first to show on 8 minutes when Conor Doherty sent Michael McNaught clear but Sean Friel advanced and blocked his effort with an outstretched leg. Five minutes later Rasheney replied and when a corner was cleared out to John McLaughlin his curling effort was headed off the line by Kyle Harkin. On 19 minutes a Harkin free was well held by Friel before McLaughlin was denied by a superb Emmet McCauley tackle. On 31 minutes Rasheney’s Michael Toland long range free found Charlie Doherty whose downward header was held by Ryan Coyle. Doherty then released McLaughlin on 39 minutes but his cross was well cleared by McCauley. Rasheney then took the lead on 42 minutes when a cross from wide on the right from Christopher Ivers found Anthony Doherty bursting between defenders to power a header past Coyle from six yards. Two minutes after the restart another Doherty header from a corner was well palmed away by Coyle. Moville replied on 58 minutes when Conor Doherty laid the ball off to Charlie Gill inside the area but his low effort was saved at the base of the post by Friel. McNaught then fired inches wide minutes later while at the other end Matthew McLaughlin had a chance but was muscled out of it by defenders. On 65minutes home substitute Declan McLaughlin saw a cross cum shot held at full stretch by Coyle. Moville’s best chance came on 71 minutes after a McNaught cross from the right was scooped over the bar by Nathan Harkin. Moville came close again on 88 minutes when a Jack keys cross found Graeme Doherty whose diving header flew narrowly wide.


Cranford United                1     Cranford win 5-4 on penalties.

Redcastle United              1

The first half was a tight affair with defences on top and chances at a premium. Cranford opened the scoring on 23 minutes when  Sean Murphy collected a right wing cross, controlled and fired low past Michael McCole .

Redcastle almost got back on terms within minutes after a Jack McConalogue cross from the left found Brendan Murphy whose header crashed off the bar and was cleared. The home side set their stall out to defend their lead in the second half with Redcastle doing all the pushing. Redcastle had a great chance midway through the half when Murphy fed Aaron Nash who with the keeper to beat he fired wide . Murphy then fired narrowly over on 72nd minute before on 89 minutes a long throw from Nash was headed home by Murphy to force extra time. There were no further chances in extra time but in the penalty shootout the home side emerged victorious by five goals to four.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two    A       

Moville Res             4

Glengad Res            2

This top of the table clash saw Moville start  well with PJ Barr feed Pearse Doherty who hammered a low left footed effort past Michael McLaughlin from ten yards to give the home side the lead. On the half hour a deep cross from the right by John G McDermott found  Gary Kelly to head past Maurice Mcgeady from close range to level. The visitors took the lead then when a PJ  McDaid cross was sidefooted home by Kelly from twelve yards. Befoe the break the home side equalised when Pearse Doherty collected a Matthew Mclaughlin pass and ran clear to drill low past McLaughlin. Moville then had a good chance on 55 minutes but John Harkin was denied by a good save from McLaughlin. After a goalmouth scramble the visitors took the lead midway through the half when Patrick McDermott  slotted home. In the final minute a defensive mix up in the home defence saw McDaid upended and Christoper McLaughlin fired high to McGeadys’s right  from the spot kick despite the keeper getting a hand to it.

Culdaff Res                          6         

Cockhill Res                        0

Switched to Caratra Park on Saturday night the home side proved dominant

Overall but the visitors had the first chance on 13 minutes when Sean Mullan advanced from midfield and fired just wide from twenty yards. Minutes later at the other end an Aiden Cunningham corner found Liam Doherty whose header just skimmed the bar. The home side broke the deadlock on 33 minutes when Cunningham played a fine ball into the path of Cathal McGrenaghan who slotted low past Ryan Fitzpatrick from twelve yards. They doubled their lead on 42 minutes after Joe O Connor advanced on the right and crossed for Cunningham to flick on for Matthew Mullarkey to slot home at the back post.

Minutes after the restart Matt McDaid fed Aiden Cunningham who was upended and he picked himself up to drive the  spot kick low to the bottom right hand corner and make it three nil. Good work again by O Connor whose cross found McGrenaghan to despatch a brilliant half volley low to the net from sixteen yards. Cockhill tried to respond and Gary Breslin was twice denied by good saves from Daniel Mullarkey. On 72 minutes Cunningham fed Matthew Mullarkey but he fired narrowly wide. Mullarkey then advanced on the left past two defenders before laying off to Cunningham who blasted to the top corner from the edge of the area. They completed the scoring on 82 minutes when Cunningham advanced and squared to substitute Jack O Brien who fired low across Fitzpatrick from six yards. The home side had a final chance when substitute Mark Doherty crossed for fellow replacement Paddy McCarron who rose high but headed just wide.

Redcastle Res        2         

Aileach Youths       3

Aileach stared the brighter in this game played in perfect conditions.  They had early shots from Joe Johnston and Dermot Doherty well saved  by Paul Doherty in the home goal. Redcastle weathered the early  Aileach preasure and made a great chance for themselves when Alan  Clarke squared for Evan Craig but with the goal at his mercy he shot  over. Aileach replied when a quick throw in the corner saw Dermot  Doherty cut in and shoot to the top corner giving Paul Doherty no  chance. Redcastle started the second half well and equalised when Evan Craigs  corner snuck in at the near post. They should have added a second when  Alan Clarke was clear with only the keeper to beat and shot wide. Aileach took the lead again when sloppy defending in the home defence  allowed Paddy Curran in to slot under the keeper . Almost from the  restart Aileach went further ahead when again the home team failed to  clear and again Paddy Curran got in for his second. With five minutes to go Redcastle pulled one back when Alan Clarke chipped   the keeper to set up a big push for the home team in the last minutes.   The last chance of the game fell to Mark Doherty when his header was   well saved by Dylan Clarke but there was no time for the corner to be   taken.


Inishowen Engineering Division Two    B            

Carrowmena FC                 1

Carn  Res                              1

Early pressure from the home side resulted in three corners  which  ended with a Christy McGeoghaghan header well saved by Dean Mason. Play ebbed and flowed until the half hour when the home side were awarded a penalty for handball  but Samuel Bredin’s effort rebounded off the post. Carn  replied with a Niall McGuinness effort saved by Michael Noone in the home goal. Carn broke the deadlock on the stroke of half time after a Chris McDaid ball over the top found Conor Doherty who chipped Noone from sixteen yards for a good finish.  There was little action until the 65th minute when John Lynch fed Finbar McCallion but he fired over when well placed. Carrowmena equalised when McGeoghaghan fed Killian Dougal who rounded a defender and set up McCallion to slot home from close range. The home side pressed forward in the closing stages but the visitors defence stood firm to earn a point.

Greencastle Res                5         

Rasheney Res                     1

In bright and cold conditions Greencastle started well with Gavin Rowan denied by a brilliant last ditch tackle from Corny McCole. A Conor Gillen cross found Ronan Doherty who turned and shot but Kieran Friel saved well. Against the run of play Rasheny broke the deadlock when Nathan McConalogue curled a twenty yards free to the top corner past Derek McGeoghaghan. Greencastle upped the tempo with Ronan Doherty firing wide. At the other end Matthew Duffy raced clear of the home defence but fired narrowly wide. The home side responded and Rowan’s free came off the wall and his follow up sailed narrowly over the crossbar. On 31 minutes a  long clearance found Doherty who laid the ball off to Gillen but Friel again saved well at the expense of a corner. From the corner Doherty whipped in a superb cross which James Henry expertly controlled before slotting low past Friel. Minutes later Pauric Gillen broke on the left and fed Conor Gillen to beat two defenders and his cross shot deceived Friel and landed in the net to give the home side the lead. Rasheney replied with McConalogue firing over from distance before Duffy had an effort saved by McGeoghaghan. Greencastle replied and both Doherty and Rowan were off target with efforts before the break. Minutes after the restart Jude Harkin had an effort deflected behind before at the other end Nathan McConalogue fired just over from distance. Greencastle replied and James Henry fired narrowly wide while McGeoghaghan in the Greencastle goal saved well from Paul McConalogue. Home substitute Cathal Kelly then had one effort saved by Friel and another drift just wide before on 70minutes a Gavin Rowan free fell to Shaun Cavanagh and he fired low to the corner from eight yards and make it three one. It became four one after Rowans cross fell to substitute Dillon Doherty and turned to  fire home from eight yards.  It was all Greencastle with Rowan and Doherty firing efforts in which Friel saved. They completed the scoring when Rowan fed Gillen on the left and his deep cross  was met on the half volley to the top corner for a superb finish.

Dunree Res             2

Illies Res                  0

This game was switched to the Illies and in good but cold conditions Dunree started very well and after a lot of early pressure they finally broke the deadlock on 21 minutes when a Tommy Doherty shot was well saved by Kevin Gallagher but TJ McKinley reacted well to slot the loose ball home. The home side should have levelled on the stroke of half time after Shane Devlin fed Jason Campbell but he blazed over from twelve yards. Illies had another good chance when Keith Elliot drove into the side netting when well placed. But on 55 minutes McKinley played a fine through ball to Doherty who fired to the roof of the net from the edge of the area. Illies tried to get back into the game and on 75minutes Liam O Connor drove over the bar from twelve yards with only Roger McGilloway to beat.

Buncrana Credit Union Cup  First Round

Aileach FC                4

Redcastle United  0

​​​​​Aileach dominated a youthful Redcastle side at Lakeside on Tuesday night in the Buncrana Credit Union Cup.  Aileach looked in control throughout the game with Redcastle occasionally dangerous on the break.  The home dominated possession in the opening exchanges without creating too many openings with the Redcastle defence defending deep.  Aileach took the lead on 20 minutes when a good passing move involving Ronan Coyle and Thomas McMonagle resulting in McMonagle picking out Gareth McGlynn who slotted into the bottom corner from 15 yards.  Aileach stepped up a gear after the opener and extended their lead five minutes later when Darren McMonagle glided past his man before smashing a shot into the roof of the net from the edge of the box.  Aileach almost increased their lead when Thomas McMonagle tried to chip Paul Doherty but the ball just went wide of the far post. Redcastle nearly pulled one back when Ethan Canning got free in the box and fired towards the bottom corner, Devlin in the home goal made a great save but could only parry into the path of Brendan Murphy who miscued at the vital moment and the Aileach defence cleared.  Aileach extended their lead with five minutes left to half time when Dermot Doherty received a pass from McGlynn before chipping the keeper from 25 yards.  The second half was a pretty scrappy affair with Aileach content to keep possession and Redcastle trying to break.  Aileach did extend their lead on 70 minutes when Darren McMonagle fired a shot across goal that was parried by Doherty in the Redcastle goal into the path of Coyle who slotted home from six yards.  Both sides made multiple substitutions at that stage and one of those subs Patrick Curran had the final chance of the game when he outpaced the Redcastle defence but Doherty made a great save with his feet.