Match Reports Sunday 24th September

Inishowen Football League Reports  24th September  

FAI   Junior Cup

KIlmacrennan  Celtic        2

Culdaff FC                            1

All three goals in this game were scored inside a 20-minute window in the first-half with Jack McLaughlin’s strike for Culdaff cancelling out the opener from Cathal McDaid, who would turn provider for the winner scored by Gerard McGranaghan five minutes before the break.

Kilmacrennans  Oisin Farrell made a great save late in the game to ensure there would be no extra-time. Conor McLaughlin was the first to make an impact on the match with a goal-saving block to deny Sam Harvey inside ten minutes. After a quarter of an hour, Paul Bradley would fire an effort narrowly wide and Culdaff would respond with an opportunity created by McLaughlin with his low ball across the six-yard box just needing any touch to take it home.Kilmac’s next opening would result in the first goal of the evening  as John Sandilands curled a ball in from the left for McDaid to nod home off the base of the post. McLaughlin would force a smart low save out of Farrell shortly after the goal while Kilmacrennan could have doubled their lead not long after via a cross from Sandilands which was not dissimilar to McLaughlin’s ten minutes back. That missed chance proved costly as Culdaff hit an equaliser just a minute later. Jack O’Brien found space on the left side and his cross in was headed home  from close range by Jack McLaughlin. Five minutes before the interval the home side regained the lead when  McDaid whipped the ball in from the right and McGranaghan nodded a glancing header towards goal and it squeezed through the grasp of Martin McLaughlin. The start of the second-half was quiet by the standards set in the first-half and only efforts from Sandilands and Ryan Greene were able to call either keeper into action before the hour mark. Martin McLaughlin was heavily involved in the second-half for Culdaff  and his long-range kick outs were a great option for the away side to get up the field and Culdaff threw a lot at the hosts in the final ten minutes in a bid to force extra time and they came within a whisker of achieving that with five minutes to go. Aidan Cunningham made a darting run down the right side and he narrowed the gap to the target before his low drive was tipped onto the post by Farrell. Cunningham had one final chance as the game entered stoppage time but this effort was again saved by Farrell.


Illies Celtic                         2 Aet

Glengad United                  1

Glengad had the better of the opening half and on 15 minutes Joe Doherty broke through the home defence but fired weakly wide. However it  was the home side who opened the scoring when good work by Michael Owen Doherty inside the area saw him square the ball to Paddy Curran to slot home. Glengad levelled four minutes later when a Caolan McColgan corner found Seamus Doherty to head home through  a crowd of players at the back post. Johnathan Noone in the home goal then produced two superb saves to deny Terence and Joe Doherty  in a three minute spell before the break.Illies dominated the second period and were unlucky to see Michael Owen Dohertys  effort crash off the bar on 56 minutes. Nathan Doherty then broke clear but  with only the keeper to beat  he shot wide. Glengad had a chance then with Terence Doherty unleashing a shot but Johnathan Noone saved well. In the final minute Illies almost won it but a Sean McCallion header drifted just wide as extra time ensued. Illies struck for the winner when Doherty headed across goal for Kevin McGonigle to head home. Glengad had a late chance from a corner to force a shoot out but Joe Doherty headed narrowly wide.

Cockhill Celtic                                 5

Clonmany Shamrocks                   1

Cockhill started on the front foot and had the first chance on 6 minutes when Corey McBride’s corner was headed over by Garbhan Friel. Minutes later Shane McCaul pounces on hesitancy in the Cockhill defence but his shot is well saved by Harry Doherty. On 28 minutes Lee McColgan’s cross evaded Clonmany keeper Friel but hits the post and was cleared away.The home side  broke the deadlock minutes before the break  when a teasing Keegan Hegarty cross from the right was steered home by Friel  from eight yards. Clonmany responded as the second half began with a contested free kick from the right falling to Gareth Bradley who forced a great save from Harry Doherty.

They went closer on 63minutes when Shane McCaul was played in through the middle. His shot evaded Doherty but rebounded off the post

Cockhill went close on 70minutes when Luke Rudden had a shot cleared off the line but a minute later Clonmany were level when Alex McFadden coolly converted a penalty low to Doherty’s right.

Just as it looked like the game was in the balance, Cockhill struck two quickfire goals to seal the tie. On 77 minutes  Adam McLaughlin’s free kick from the left of the ‘D’ found the top corner before Rudden reacted to a Friel knockdown to drill past Kieran Friel. The contest was over now but Rudden completed his hat-trick to add gloss to the scoreline. Firstly he fired home when Friel unselfishly squared after rounding the keeper, then he headed home a McLaughlin free kick with the last action of the game.


FAI Junior Cup Round Up

Elsewhere in the junior cup on a very blustery Saturday night in Tria A Loch  Buncrana Hearts scored in the first minute of extra time courtesy of Kieran McDaid to edge past Donegal League champions Fanad United  and advance to the next round.

Cade Cooke fired Carn FC ahead in their clash with Letterkenny Rovers who equalised from the penalty spot before the break. It was Rovers who struck for the winner in the second half with the visitors  feeling aggrieved in the end .

Aileach made the long trip to Keadue  and trailed at the break to an Oran Fallon strike. But a Stephen Doherty strike ensured the game went to extra time. Gavin Doherty fired Aileach in front only for an unfortunate own goal to level matters again. But Aileach prevailed in the penalty shootout  winning by five goals to four.

Moville travelled to Rathmullan and also trailed at the interval by a single goal. They fell further behind in the 74th minute  and despite their best efforts that’s the way it ended.

Strand Hotel First Division

Rashenny FC                        3

Dunree United                    2

The home side were first to show in the 15th minute when Gareth McKeever broke clear and thought he manages to get the ball past Adam Harrigan it was Bobby Bradley who got back to get the ball clear. Dunree responded with Adam Barrett seeing an effort well saved by Gavin McLaughlin.On the half hour mark Cian Moran advanced and crossed from the left but Daniel McLaughlin could not direct his effort on target at the front post. The home side then went close with a Damien Friel cross just eluding the inrushing McKeever before Abdul Al Rasheed saw his powerful effort  deflected over the bar by the outstretched leg of a defender. Rashenny had the first chance of the second half when Conor McDaid evaded two defenders and found McKeever but he was crowded out and the chance was lost. Dunree went close then with a Tiernan Moran effort saved by Gavin McLaughlin who also saved a spectacular Shane Gordon back pass following Adam Barretts cross. On the hour mark the home side went close when Damien Friel  hooked the ball over Harrigan but Jamie Brosnan got back to clear off the line. The home side took the lead on 69 minutes when  Mckeever fried a low shot from the edge of the area to the bottom corner.But when the home defence failed to clear Adam Barrett fired a low  shot to the far corner from twelve yards. The home side regained the lead on 82 minutes after  substitute Cormac Dillon s cross fell to Delan McLaughlin to slot home from fourteen yards. Five minutes later they went three one up after a Dillon run and shot was parried by Harrigan but David McLaughlin was on hand to finish well. Dunree then gained a consolation in injury time when home keeper McLaughlin parried Morans effort but  Daniel Mclaughlin slotted home.


QPS                                        9

Clonmany Res                     1

Hat tricks from John McCluskey & Oisin Hillen powered the Point to an emphatic victory over Clonmany Res. Daniel McMenamin opened the scoring for the home side before McCluskey added a second on 15 minutes. Clonmany then got a goal back when Steve Harkin played Tiernan McDonald through and he finished well from inside the area. Oisin Hillen then increased the home sides lead again just before the break . Two quick fire goals from McCluskey to complete hos hat trick ended the game as a contest before Hillen also completed his hat trick with two more goals. Late goals from Josh McLaughlin and  Sean Og Gallagher completed the rout.


Clonmany Res

Redcastle  United              3

Aileach Res                          1

League leaders Redcastle opened the scoring in the 18thminute after an Aiden Cunningham cross from the left was cleared by a defender only as far as Darragh McConway who fired to the top corner past David McGeady. Aileach replied and midway through the half Dillon McGrory unleashed a twenty five yards effort which Michael McCole saved well. At the other end Alan Clarke  fed Cunningham whose cross found McConway but he fired just wide.  The visitors replied with Andrew Ross advancing from half way to release David Healy  but his low effort was saved by McCole. Redcastle ended the half strongly with Marc Bell crossing to Jack McConalogue but his effort was saved by McGeady. They doubled their lead then on the stroke of half time following a corner when the unmarked McConway headed home. The home side made it three nil after a short McConalgue corner to Shaun Curran  who blasted to the top corner. The visitors tried to reply with McGrory s twenty five yards effort tipped round the post by McCole. Aileach ended the game well with McGrory again denied by McCole before McCole saved well from a Josh Boyle close range effort. They were rewarded in the 88th minute when Anthony Doherty converted a penalty after a push in the area. The home side suffered a blow after McConway was red carded in the final minute.


Greencastle Youth            1

Carn Res                               3

Greencastle Youths hosted Carn Reserves and it was the home side who had the first chance in the second minute. From a corner the ball was cleared to Nathan Harkin whose shot from 20 yards was saved by Daire Tully in goals for Carn. Carn had a chance then midway through the first half when a good ball through found Dayton Cooke one on one with Evan Davenport who made a good save at the striker’s feet.Carn took the lead early in the second half from a free kick. Substitute Kyron Cantwell stepped up and thanks to a big deflection of the wall looped into the top corner. Greencastle nearly got the perfect reply when great play from Shay Doherty took him past two defenders but he dragged his shot wide. Carn made it two nil halfway through the half when Greencastle were robbed of the ball in the defence. The ball was squared to Kyron Cantwell who finished well.Ten minutes later it was Kyron Cantwell again completing his hatrick  when  finishing a good Carn move. Greencastle  got a late consolidation when a corner from Nathan Harkin to the back post was volleyed into the top corner by William O’Carroll



Buncrana Res                      0

Cockhill Youth                    5

The visitors got off to a superb start  straight from the kick off when Conor Graham intercepted a sloppy pass and played it through for Darragh McDermott  to slide the ball home. Cockhill increased their lead when Graham collected Mullens superb pass and finished  to the  bottom corner. The Hearts tried to reply with Adam Doherty finding Cillian Downey whose blistering effort flashed just past the post. Just before the break Cockhill added number three after good approach play from McDermott found Mullen to finish well.  In the second half Buncrana tried hard to get back to the game but failed to trouble the Cockhill goal and late goals from Shane McLaughlin and Liam Bradley sealed a five nil derby win.


Inishowen Engineering Division Two

QPS Youth               2

Moville Res              1

The home side opened the scoring in the 13th minute after Dean Hegarty found Sean Og   Gallagher who turned on the edge of the area before firing to the top corner past Sean McGuinness. They continued to press and Alex Holovin was  unlucky with an effort that crashed off the post. Joe Johnston had the final chance of the half but fired straight at McGuinness. Johnston had the first chance of the second half but  his effort was cleared off the line by a defender. Moville responded and Conor Farren evaded two challenges before shooting just wide from twenty yards. They went close again with a jack Lee effort well saved by the home keeper. Movilles pressure told on 78 minutes when Farrens cross deflected off a defender and into the net.  But the home side rallied and struck for the winner in the final minute after Sean Og Gallagher intercepted a back pass and rounded McGuinness before slotting into the empty net.



Gleneely Colts     2

Carrowmena FC 0

Gleneely opened the scoring in the 4th minute when a corner from Tristan McColgan found Shane Diver, who headed the ball home from 6 yards. On 15 minutes McColgan had a shot from 15yards that just went over. The home side continued to press and midway through the half a good run by Shay Harkin down the right who passed to Mark McGonigle who in turn put in a great ball into the box for Matthew Doherty to head over from ten yards.  Gleneely continud to press the visitors goal and a great run down the right by Mark McGonigle took him to the by line to cross into the box where Tristan McColgan rattled the bar from ten yards and the Carrowmena defence managed to clear. Gleneely came out roaring at the start of the second  half and scored straight from the kick off when Shay Harkin got down the right and into the edge of the box and curled the ball into the top corner giving Noone in the goal  no chance. Gleneely had numerous chances with Noone pulling off a great save to deny Emmett O Brien from the edge of the box and also from Paul Doherty and Shane Diver. Carrowmena battled well but their final ball let them down and did not trouble Jordon McLaughlin in the home goal.





Cockhill Res             3

Aileach Youths       2

In an entertaining and open start to the match Aileach had the better of the opening chances but both teams failed to trouble either keeper.

It was Aileach who finally opened the scoring shortly before half time. A well hit free kick from 25 yards out was tipped on to the bar and post by Cockhill keeper Darragh O’Donnell and Aileach’s Andrew Walker was first to react to hammer home the rebound to give Aileach the advantage at the break. Cockhill responded almost immediately after half time levelling the match up.  Ethan O’Toole showed great awareness to lay the ball back to James Porter who showed great composure to lob the ball over Dylan Clark from 20 yards. There was little between the two teams until midway through the half. A deep free by Daibhidh Grant found the unmarked Kevin Wallace at the back post to head past Darragh O’ Donnell to put Aileach ahead again. Aileach looked to be seeing the game out until second half substitute Ciaran Bradley fired a rocket of a volley in off the underside of bar from 30 yards out to level it up.That goal lifted the young Cockhill side and they pushed hard for a winner which they got with minutes remaining. Good work by Ethan O’Toole and Cahir McDaid played Niall Breslin through and his well hit effort across the advancing Clarke found the far post and in.Aileach lifted it again pushing Cockhill back in the remaining minutes but the young Cockhill side showed great character to see the game out for a big come from behind win.

Illies Res                   4

Dunree Res              1

The home side broke the deadlock in the 15th minute after  Shane Devlin displayed great footwork to beat two defenders inside the area and drill low past Philip Doherty in the visitors goal. Midway through the half they had another good opportunity when Devlin released Conor Doherty who fired over the bar when well placed.  Dunree responded and levelled before the break  with a Jason  Spence free headed home by the unmarked Raymond Toland. Illies upped the tempo on the restart and dominated the second half. They regained the lead in the 58th minute when Philip Doherty parried Oran Dohertys free kick  but Liam O Connor was on hand to slot home.  Devlin then got on the end of a superb Marty Coyle cross but headed wide. The home side increased their lead when Devlin found Oran Doherty to sidestep a defender and finish low to the corner to make it three one. They completed the scoring in the 89th minute when  substitute Jack McDaid raced into the area and slotted  low into the bottom corner giving Doherty no chance.


Culdaff Res                          1

Cockhill Colts                      4

Cockhill Colts landed to Caratra on Saturday evening and took all 3 points back home with them. Culdaff had the first chance when Billy Hume broke down the right, cutting in on his left foot and sailed his effort just wide of the post. Cockhill would soon threaten Odhran Douglas’ goal on the 6th minute, but Declan Kearney’s effort was put straight down the middle and into the arms of Douglas. Noel McLaughlin got his fourth goal of the season on the 11th minute. Oisin McLaughlin’s curling cross was met by the oncoming McLaughlin from 12 yards – who fired home. Cockhill were unlucky 10 minutes later when Gerry Gill’s 20 yard free-kick sailed just over the crossbar. The remainder of the first half  saw both teams have half chances apiece. However, on the 57 minute, veteran Joe Doherty would tower above  a home defender – putting his header past Douglas to level the game. Culdaff had a chance to retain the lead through Billy Hume, but his shot was smothered by Graham Doherty. Cockhill replied and took the lead in  the 64th minute. Gavin Doherty broke down the left wind, cutting in and feeding midfielder Liam O’Donnell whose 20 yard effort flew past Douglas. Doherty would soon get one of his own 10 minutes later – taking on the Culdaff defence, rounding the keeper and tapping home from close range. Substitute Jude  O Donnell completed the scoring for the travelling men on the 90th minute to take the victory and the points.

Culdaff Reserves

Cockhill Colts

Rashenny ROVERS            0

Glengad Res                        6

In a match played under lights in Trawbreaga Park on Saturday night, the visitors held the upper hand for most of the match and deservedly emerged with maximum points. They hit the front after 8 minutes when Paul McGonagle’s right wing corner was cleared back to him and his diagonal drive from just outside the angle of the area flew into the top corner. Minutes later the lead was doubled when Caolan McColgan got on the end of Jason Doherty high lofted free into the area and slotted home. Half way through the first half Glengad moved further ahead. Goalscorer McColgan ran clear along the right wing and delivered into the centre where Jayden McDaid had taken up an unmarked position and he was able to drill home at the near post. Just over half an hour had been played when the visitors scored their fourth goal. Paul McGonagle got his second from the penalty spot after an infringement in the area. The home side might have pulled a goal back close to the interval when Michael Toland played a delightful ball through the Glengad rearguard to Keelan Doherty but good defensive work averted the danger. Soon after the restart it was five nil. Faced with the advancing McGilloway, Caolan McColgan laid off to the unmarked McDaid and he had the simple task of putting the ball in the unguarded net from 12 yards. The final goal goal was scored by Conor McGonagle when McGilloway parried a fierce shot into his path. The home side enjoyed their best spell during the final half hour and came close to scoring on a number of occasions. On the hour mark Shea Grant unleashed a powerful low shot from way outside the area but keeper Michael McLaughlin pushed it away at full stretch. Then Tyler McEleney delivered two excellent crosses from the right into the goalmouth. Firstly Stephen Doherty drove goalwards and seemed certain to score but a combination of keeper and defenders close to the goal line managed to prevent the ball crossing the line. And then sub Ryan McDermott was denied by another last gasp goal line clearance.

Redcastle Res 4

Sea Rovers  6

In  this high scoring encounter there were five goals in each half. Rovers opened the scoring with  Daniel Gallagher finding space inside the area before shooting low to the corner. The home side levelled things on 16 minutes after a Jason Lynch effort came off the post for  Darren Harkin to slot into the empty net. Rovers regained the lead on 35 minutes in fortuitous fashion after a corner came off a home defender  and into the net.They increased their lead when Conor McGeoghaghan broke clear and slotted low to the corner from inside the area. But Redcastle reduced the deficit to the minimu before the break with Aodhan Ferns heading home at the back post following a corner. Rovers started the second half well with Oisin Quigley denying both Gallagher and McGeoghaghan  before McGeoghaghan fired home a free kick from the edge of the area to make it four two. The home side reduced the deficit to the minimum with a Gary Kelly strike from sixteen yards through a crowd of players in the 86th minute. In injury time Shay Rodgers and Conor Gallagher both added goals for the visitors  before Kelly pulled a goal back with a header just before the final whistle to leave Rovers six four victors.