Match Reports Sunday 24th February

Ulster Junior Cup       Semi Finals

Cavan Town                         0

Glengad  United                1

Glengad booked there place in another Ulster Cup Final with a narrow single goal win away to Cavan Town played on the  astro pitch. Glengad dominated for large periods of the game and should have won by more.

First chance came on 10 minutes when  a quick free on right by James Mc Kinney set Terence  Doherty clear, his pull  back  found  Connor Barrow whose shot from 12 yards was pushed away by keeper Gary O’ Rourke low to his right.  On 20 minutes Greg Meehan  has a effort from 20 yrd pushed away for a corner by Seamus Houghton. Glengad started  the second half at higher tempo and Stephen McLaughlin  broke on right getting to byline before pulling it back to Connor Barrow  whose effort from 6 yards crashed off the bar  and out of play. On 55 minutes  Barrow got the only goal of game when he scored direct from a  corner on the  left in over Gary O Rourke into far top corner. On 70 minutes a long clearance by Paul O’  Connor put Packie Sheridan clear but he failed to keep his effort on target from edge of area. With 5 minutes remaining  following good wing play from Stephen Mclaughlin who found  Adam Byrne but   his effort crashing off the post with Connor Barrow’s  follow up effort cleared of the line.

Greencastle FC                  5

Castlefin Celtic                  1

​​​​​Greencastle started quickly and took the lead after 6 minutes when a Shaun Doherty ball over the top from midfield was expertly controlled by Matty Henry on the edge of the box and he then lobbed Castlefin keeper Chris O’Donnell .   Minutes later Nigel McMonagle for the home team had a shot from inside the box blocked by a defender. Castlefinn then had a 35 yard free from Emmett Whyte tipped around the post by Dylan Doherty. After Greencastle had strong penalty claims waved away Dylan Doherty saved again from J. P Mailey. Stephen Grant for Greencastle then broke down the right wing and squared the ball for Henry who played in McMonagle who shot just wide. A Jamie McCormack shot was then deflected for a corner which was well gathered by  O’Donnell. With 35 minutes of the first half gone D J Canavan broke down the right wing, played in Grant who laid back to McMonagle but he fired  just over the bar. At the other end  a long  ball over the top found Rory Dalton racing clear but shot just over the bar. The last chance of the first half fell to the home side after Canavan broke again and crossed for Ciaran Moore whose first time volley went just over the bar.Greencastle started the second half brightly and went two up when Shaun Doherty broke from midfield, skipped past several challenges and laid the ball across for McMonagle to slot home from eight yards. Castlefinn got back in to the game on the hour after  Johnny Doherty rose highest and headed to the bottom corner, after an Emmet Whyte corner. But Greencastle restored their two goal lead  when Stephen Grant battled brilliantly on the right wing, then crossed for McMonagle who controlled the ball, turned on to his left foot and hit a low shot to the bottom corner, beyond the reach of the keeper. The young Castlefinn keeper then had a good save from Shaun Doherty after he was set up by McMonagle. On 70 minutes the home side  went  four one up when substitute Tom Casey chipped a pass over the top for Henry to race clear, round the keeper and slot home.Greencastle went 5-1 up when a through pass from midfield was left by Michael Henry for Christy Hegarty to outpace the defence, round the keeper and drill home. Greencastle sub David Henry then  came on, leaving the home team with the four Henry brothers  on and created a couple of chances down the left wing. Castlefinn got a goal back when Lee McLaughlin crossed from the left wing for  Mailey to slot home from six yards out. The last chance of the game fell to McCormack whose 18 yard effort crashed off the bar as the home side qualified for their first ever Ulster Junior cup final.

Buncrana Credit Union Cup Round One

Illies Celtic                          0

Clonmany Shamrocks      2

The visitors had the upper hand early on and moved ahead mid way through the opening half when Declan Mc Laughlin got on the end of a Jake Harkin cross and drove past Johnny Noone in the home nets. At the other end Paul Doherty broke into the box and shot towards the target but Paddy Harkin made a good save. On the stroke of half time Clonmany doubled their lead when Declan Mc Laughlin’s free kick from the edge of the box found Liam Hirrell who turned his marker and fired past Noone. Early in the second half the lead could have been extended but Noone made an excellent save from Harkin. From this point onwards the home side came more into the match with good opportunities falling the way of Liam Grant, Paul Doherty and sub John Campbell – but all were out of luck and failed to hit the target. With ten minutes remaining a cross from Adrian Donaghey Doherty was head over by Dominick Coyle when he really should have done better and in the final minute Grant raced into the box only to be denied by Harkin.

Moville Celtic                     4

Rasheney FC                       2

Moville took the lead in the 5th minute when Conor Lafferty robbed a Rasheney defender and lashed home from 18 yards past keeper Kieran Friel. Moments later Lee McColgan smashed the ball off the visitors’ crossbar. In the 9th minute it was two nil after a fine passing move involving Lafferty and Conor Doherty had Doherty squaring the ball to an unmarked Nathan Harkin who tapped in from six yards. The home side went three up in the 17th minute when McColgan retrieved a wayward free kick and his left sided cross was well met in the area by Ryan Killen with a powerful header. Just before half time Charlie Gill made the score four nil from the penalty spot after Conor Doherty was upended in the box.A Killen long range effort at the beginning of the second half was held by Friel who also denied Doherty with his long range attempt in the 74th minute. Rasheney reduced the deficit in the 77th minute when John Grant slipped the ball past Moville keeper Coyle from an angle after being put through by Eoin Doherty. Rasheney keeper Friel then moved outfield and tried from distance but Coyle held well. In the 81st minute Finn McLaughlin and sub Matthew McLaughlin combined down the right for the home side  to set up Gill but sub keeper Roger McGilloway coped with his shot from the edge of the area. Moville sub Pearse Doherty had an attempt with a powerfully hit free kick from the right but again McGilloway held firm. Rasheney got a second in the 86th minute with a carbon copy of their first goal with Grant scoring from Doherty’s pass.

Aileach FC                            5

Redcastle United              0

Aileach began on the front foot and after 10 minutes Dermot Doherty rounded McCole but a defender got back to clear his week shot off the line. Five minutes  later Gavin Doherty was unlucky to see his effort from 20 yards come back off a post. The home side finally broke the deadlock on 20 minutes when Gareth McGlynn retrieved a cross field pass and clipped the ball across the box for Kevin Doran to volley high past Michael McCole from six yards. Aileach doubled their lead on the half hour after Gavin Doherty crossed for Dermot Doherty to clip the  ball over the advancing McCole. On 35 minutess it became three with  McGlynn threading a sublime through ball for the run of Gavin Doherty who finished coolly past McCole . Aileach  then made it four  just before half time when Keith McColgan raced down the left and pulled the ball back for Gareth McGlynn to side foot home from close range.The second half continued in much the same vein and Gavin Doherty converted a penalty on 50 minutes after his brother Dermot was fouled inside the box. Aileach emptied the bench after this and they continued to dominate possession and press an overworked Redcastle defence but the visitors dug in and with McCole in fine form in the visitors goal they managed to keep Aileach scoreless for the remainder of the game.


Sea Rovers 1-2 QPS 
his was a tight fought game from the start and it was Rovers who had the first chance when a Damien Ward free kick outside the box found Oisin Mc Gonagle whose header went just over the bar. 10 mins later QPS found themselves in the same position when a free-kick put in by Conan Mc Geoghan was headed by Gary Doherty and forced the Rovers keeper Glen Watson into making a fantastic save. The deadlock was broke in the 35th minute when Ciaran Doherty from QPS crossed in for an easy tap in for Gary Doherty. In the second period  both teams were fighting hard with a number of chances coming from Sea Rovers Graham Morgan and Damien Ward, it was the 73rd  minute when Rovers left back Connor Mc Geoghan took a corner only for the ball to be cleared back out to him, he then took  shot just inside the box and hit the back of the net to equalise.No team wanted to lose this game and a QPS corner was met by Aaron Mc Colgan whose shot went over the bar.With 6 minutes to go  a shot from outside the box from  Aaron Mc Colgan was well saved by Glen Watson but the rebound fell to be tapped in by Karl Donnelly to clinch the tie and advance to the next round.

Culdaff FC                            1

Cockhill Youths                              4

First Division Cockhill thoroughly deserved this comprehensive victory over the home side who turned in their most inept display of the season under lights on Saturday night. Cockhill dominated the opening half and Eoin Deery should have scored on 3 minutes after being unmarked at the back post from point blank range his effort crashed off the bar. Both Darragh McDermott and Keegan Hegarty then took good saves from Darragh Mclaughlin in the home goal. Culdaff replied on 20 minutes when after good interplay Jack O’Brien curled a left footed effort just past Michael Doherty’s right hand post. But Cockhill resumed in control and were unlucky after Hegarty’s powerful drive crashed off the post and into the arms of McLaughlin. They broke the deadlock on 33minutes when  a superb  Adam McLaughlin pass found Mark McDaid who calmly slotted low past McLaughlin. The home side tried to reply and Aiden Cunninghm fed Jack McLaughlin but he fired over from sixteen yards. On the stroke of half time Cockhill almost made it two after McLaughlin parried McDaid’s effort and recovered to gather McDermott’s follow up. Cockhill picked up where they left off on the restart with Mclaughlin breaking through a static defence but dragging his effort wide before McLaughlin made another good save from Hegarty. On the hour Cockhill made it two nil when Odhran O’Brien- Daly headed a corner across goal for Sean Donaghey to volley home. Culdaff in a rare spell of good play reduced the deficit on 78 minutes after Jack McLaughlin  fed substitute Damien Duffy whose superb pass found another substitute Noel McLaughlin to cut inside and drill low into the corner. But within minutes the home defence allowed the ball to bounce and Adam Mclaughlin raced in to square for Shane Anthony Doherty to slot home. Another home substitute Ben Curley advanced to the edge of the area and unleashed an effort which Doherty held. The visitors completed the scoring on 89 minutes when O’Brien- Daly  again rose unmarked to head a corner across for Donaghey to slot home again and dump the home side from the cup.

Strand Hotel First Division

Gleneely Colts                   4

Aileach Res                         2

Played in windy conditions,Gleneely opened the scoring after 10mins when good interchange between Paul Gamble and Nathan McLaughlin resulted in Dylan McDaid  shooting high into the net from 15yards. Aileach responded and drew level 15 minutes later when a long raking ball by Jordon McGeady resulted in Stephen O’Donnell scoring at the back post past Adrian Duffy. Gleneely went two one ahead when a long ball from the back by John Doherty, set Paul Gamble free who did well to hold of the defender and square the ball to Nathan McLaughlin to blast home from close range.  Aileach leveled 10minutes after the break when a corner was swung in and Stephen O’Donnell rapped home from close range. Gleneely responded and went three two ahead when a JJ Harley long ball picked out a Paul Gamble run and he fired first time to the roof of the net from 15 yards. Aileach spurned a great chance when Gleneely appealing for offside, Jordon McGeady was one on one but shot wide when he should have scored. Gleneely wrapped up the game in the dying minutes when great work by Corey O’Brien on the left beat three defenders and laid the ball to Paul Gamble to slid home from close range

Inishowen Engineering Division 2 A    

Clonmany Res                    1

Aileach Youths                   1

Played in good conditions,Clonmany threatened early on through good work down the left wing between Matthew Brennan and David McGonigle with Matthew Brennan getting to the byline to float over a good cross but no-one was able to test Ryan Fox in the Aileach goal. Aileach began to get an upper hand at midfield as the first half progressed and dominated the rest of the half doing close several times before opening the scoring on the half-hour mark when Aaron Doherty ran on to a defence splitting pass before coolly chipping the advancing Liam McGonigle with his shot going in off the underside of the crossbar. Clonmany had the advantage of a strengthening breeze in the second half and had greater possession but were finding itdifficult to get past Aileach defender Neil McElhinney.They almost equalised in the 77th minute when Dessie Doherty’s lofted pass into the box found his brother Conor about 12 yards out but his first time volley went over the bar. With time almost up Clonmany equalised through their central defender Andrew Doherty from  eight yards out,when he got his head to David McGonigle’s delivery from the left wing and his header beat Ryan Fox to make the final score one all.

QPS Res                                2

Redcastle Res                    1

​​​​​The early exchanges were mainly in midfield, though on 10 minutes Brendan Murphy for Redcastle turned sharply and his crisp shot was well held by QPS keeper Bell.  On 15 minutes, Joshua McLaughlin for QPS weaved his way through the Redcastle defence but keeper Doherty saved well at his feet andthe loose ball was volleyed wide by Harkin.  On 18 minutes, Chris O’Donnell for QPS raced clear, beat keeper Doherty but Ronan Cassidy got back on theline to clear.  QPS were awarded a penalty on 34 minutes but Jack McConnellogues well struck penalty was brilliantly saved low down by keeper Doherty.  The second half was more open and Brendan Murphy was causing problems with his close control.  QPS opened the scoring on 53rd minute when Joshua McLaughlin went through one on one with keeper Doherty and scored into the corner.  Redcastles Shane McColgan slipped the ball through to Murphy and his attempted lob was easily gathered by keeper Bell. Redcastle lost 2 players to injury and played the last 15 minutes with 10 men.  Redcastle equalized on 82 minutes, when a Murphy free was spilled by Bell and Ronan Cassidy tapped home from close range.  QPS got the winner on 85 minutes when Joshua McLaughlin released Burke who crashed a first time shot past replacement keeper McColgan from 15 yards.

Moville Res             1

Greencastle Res    4

There were few chances in the opening half with the first attempt on goal not arriving until the half hour after PJ Barr fired narrowly over for the home team. Greencastle replied with Ronan Doherty seeing an effort well saved by Sean McGuinness. The home side then took the lead on the stroke of half time after a quick free released John McGeady whose cross was slotted home by Matthew McLaughlin at the back post. But Greencastle upped the tempo on the restart and equalised within five minutes when a Joe Doherty corner was headed home by Andrew Peoples. They took the lead midway through the half when Doherty ran through the home side before a superb finish past McGuinness. Doherty then beat three defenders on the edge of the area and finished superbly again to make it three one. They sealed the points  when Daniel Rowan fired a stunning effort to the top corner from the edge of the area. Moville  were denied a consolation when Danny Murphy’s effort was well saved by Puaric Carey-Doherty.

Inishowen Engineering Division 2 B   

Illies Res                              6

Carrowmena FC                 0

The home side dominated throughout and recorded a comfortable win against a very much understrength Carrowmena side. The deadlock was broken after twenty minutes. Keith Elliot Mc Kinney delivered a corner into the box and Joe Mc Daid headed home at the back post. Minutes later the lead was doubled when the ball broke from Mc Daid to Nathan Doherty and he found the net from close to the penalty spot. On the half hour Illies went further ahead when Dominick Doherty’s free was headed home by Patrick O’Connor. Just before half time Elliot Mc Kinney beat two defenders and pulled the ball back for Liam O’ Connor to strike home from inside the area for a four goal half time lead.  It was more of the same in the second half. On 55 minutes a deep cross from Patrick O’ Connor was slotted home by Ronan Hegarty. Hegarty then turned provider when his good approach play set up Stephen Mc Gonigle and he completed the scoring.

Carn Res                   4

Culdaff Res              2

Carn broke the deadlock on 9 minutes following a midfield pass from Matthew McLaughlin to Tiernan Coyne on the left wing who rounded the defender and drove it to the bottom left corner of the net from ten yards. Carn made it two minutes later when a Conor Doherty corner on the left found Coyne again who was unmarked and he headed it to top right corner of the net. Culdaff pulled one back on 17 minutes after a Noel McLaughlin pass from midfield found Gary Collins on the right wing and he drove a powerful shot which deflected off the defender and into the bottom left corner of the net from outside the 18 yard box. But Carn made it  three one  midway through the half after  a Darragh Deery pass from midfield found Matthew McLaughlin who lobbed Culdaff keeper from twenty two  yards into the top corner of the net.  Carn made it four one on 41 minutes when a Girts Dzerins pass from midfield released Coyne  who rounded  a defender and his shot came off the keeper Martin McLaughlin for  Coyne to slot  home from 10 yards into the bottom right corner of the net and complete his hat trick.Culdaff made it 4-2 on 56 minutes when Gary Collins released Noel McLaughlin who went one on one with carn keepers Jack Nelson and slotted it to the bottom right corner of the net from fifteen yards. On 67 minutes Culdaff nearly made it 4-3 when Noel McLaughlin pass from midfield found Collins who shot narrowly past the post  from 10 yards. Carn could have made it 5-2 in 80 minutes when a pass from Dylan Cooke found Conor Doherty who crossed it for Matthew McLaughlin but he failed to hit the target when well placed.

Dunree Res             4

Rasheney Res         4

Rasheney started much the better and took the lead when Nathan McConalogue pounced on a defensive error to slot home after 10 minutes. It then got better when Marius Noone unleashed a twenty five yards effort to the top corner past Ryan Fitzpatrick. Dunree rallied on the half hour and reduced the deficit from a Shaun Henderson corner which found TJ McKinley to slot home.But Rasheney regained their two goal cushion on the stroke of half time when McConalogue’s ball over the top released Noone and he made no mistake. Dunree uppd the pace after the restart and reduced the deficit again when Marty McDermott fired a free kick low to the corner. They then levelled on the hour mark when McKinley grabbed his second of the game from close range. Dunree completed a great comeback when they took the lead after 78 minutes when McDermott’s free found David Eccles and he slotted home. But Rasheney dug deep and salvaged a point when Noone completed his hattrick  after the home defence failed to deal with a corner.