Match Reports Sunday 23rd January

Sunday 23rd January

Ulster Junior Cup 1/4 Finals

Aileach FC 3

Letterkenny Rovers 2

After 5 minutes  a Caolan Doherty cross was turned goalwards by Gavin Doherty but he was unlucky to see his effort clip the bar. 

Aileach went ahead  five minutes later when Paddy Slevin played a good through ball for the run of Aaron Nash who advanced before sliding the ball under Blake Forkan from 12 yards. Number two arrived on 18 minutes when Nash got room down the left again before cutting in and curling a fine effort which came back off the bar and Darren McMonagle was first to react and finish from close range. The young Letterkenny side settled a bit more after this and carved out a half chance on 30 minutes when Patrick Gahir got space on the left of the box but his tame effort was easily dealt with by David McGeady in the home goal. Five minutes later the same player was the beneficiary of a poor clearance and he controlled and fired a fierce drive from the edge of the box but was well wide. 

The second half started with Aileach again taking the initiative and got a third on 70 minutes when Aaron Nash beat the offside trap and cooly clipped the ball over the advancing Forkan. Aileach made a few substitutions at this stage which disrupted the flow of the game and Letterkenny got a goal back on 75 minutes when a Jack  Dwyer shot fell kindly for Patrick Gahir and he controlled well before firing past McGeady from six yards. This gave the youngsters some belief and they began to force the issue but Aileach should have restored their advantage but for some poor finishing and heroics by Forkan in the away goal the game remained alive. With 5 minutes left Letterkenny were awarded a penalty when McGeady was adjudged to have impeded Luke Parke. Jack Dwyer saw his initial effort saved by McGeady but the rebound fell kindly and he was able to finish before a defender could get back. This made for a hectic last period but Aileach held on to progress to the next round.


Illies Celtic 0

Glengad United 1

In a  close first half neither keeper were called into action with defences on top and a lot of the play in the middle third of the pitch. Glengad had efforts from Brandon Browne, Terence Doherty and Joe Doherty  all off target. Illies responded in a quick break before the interval when Liam Doherty advanced and fed the ball  inside for David Doherty who fired wide from the edge of the area. Illies had the first chance of the second half after Paul Dohertys free from the edge of the area skimmed the crossbar. The defining moment of the game came on the hour mark when a superb through ball from Terence Doherty  found Joe Doherty on the edge of the six yards area and he finished superbly. Illies pressed hard with Adrian Donaghey-Doherty firing wide when well placed and Paddy Doherty seeing a late header clear the bar as Glengad advance to the semi finals.

Buncrana Hearts 3

Bonagee United 1

The hearts took the lead in the 6th minute after Lee Sean Doherty broke  and released Kieran McDaid  who cut in past two defenders and flicked the ball home from eight yards. Bonagee responded on 21 minutes when Jordan Gallagher fired a free kick just over the bar. Buncrana dominated the remainder of the half and after McDaid s free found Eoin Murphy he fired wide at full stetch. Minutes later they increased their lead when Mikey Friel broke and crossed to Darragh O Connor who laid the ball off for Doherty to fire low into the bottom corner from twenty yards. In a carbon copy move they made it three nil when John Timlin  crossed to McDaid who laid it back for Murphy  this time to unleash a fine effort to the bottom corner. Buncrana  dominated the second period and McDaid had a free kick well saved by John Carr in the visitors goal. Darragh O Connor then had one shot over the bar, another went wide and a third saved by Carr. When the ball broke to McDaid after that save  he rounded two defenders but somehow fired wide of a gaping goal. The visitors scored a late consolation after substitute Rory Kelly  failed to sold a low cross allowing Lee McMonagle to slot home from close range but  the Hearts were worthy winners.

Ulster Junior Shield (SATURDAY 22nd

Arranmore United 1

Dunree United 4

Dunree made the long trip to Arranmore  On Saturday and came away with a well deserved four one win to advance to a hmoe quarter final next week against Buncrana Res.Playing with the wind the Inishowen side started the better and Kyle Barret went close with an effort from distance which flashed just past the post. They opened the scoring on 21minutes after  Liam Baldrick played Gerry Farrell in and from a tight angle he fired across the advancing keeper and into the far corner. The same player added a second ten minutes later when he charged down an attempted clearance and the ball looped over the keeper and into the net. It got better for the visitors on 37 minutes when Baldrick won possession inside the area and laid the ball into the path of Thomas Mulhern who hammered to the roof of the net from ten yards. They added a fourth goal before the beak when Farrell completed his hat trick with a neat finish after a  Cathal McNutt clearance deceived the home defence. Arranmore got off to a dream start in the opening minute of the second half when the Dunree defence failed to clear and Dion Byrne took full advantage to reduce the deficit.With the wind Arranmore had a lot of possession and pressure but the Dunree defence gave little away. The closest they came to a second goal was on 77 minutes but Adam Harrington in the Dunree goal tipped over Procters free kick.

Hannon Greene Insurances FR O Gara Cup  

Aileach Youth 0

Aileach Res 2

The  Reserve team were strong favourites for this tie  but the youths had an early shout for a penalty waved away when Callum Porter went down inside the area. Gerard Arbuckles side settled and took the lead on 15minutes when a Denver Kelly corner sailed all the way to the net at the back post. Five minutes later Damien Barr s ball over the top released Paddy Curran to round Ryan Fox and slot home. The youths responded before the break when a Gareth McLaughlin effort was saved by Sean McGuinness. The youths had the first real chance of the second half after Benny Hegarty failed to hit the target when well placed.  At the other end on the hour mark a Stephen O Donnell header was well saved by  Fox. The reserves dominated possession for long parts but failed to create clear chances. The Reserves survived a late scare after Hegarty was unlucky to see his effort come off the post and into the grateful arms of McGuinness.

Clonmany Youth 1

Clonmany Res 2

This local derby as expected was dominated by the Reserve outfit who play in a higher division. The Reserves took an early lead in the 7th minute when Joe Doherty laid the ball off to Mark McLaughlin on the edge of the area and he fired a superb shot to the top corner. Midway through the half the same player fired narrowly wide before on 33 minutes McLaughlin received a Raymond McDaid pass and again fired just wide. The Youths only chance of the half came on 39 minutes when a Liam McGonigle free into the area found John McCarron who controlled  turned and saw his effort deflected wide. On the stroke of half time the reserves added a second goal when McLaughlin sent keeper Killian McCarron the wrong way from a penalty after Doherty had been fouled. The reserves started the second half on top with substitute Matthew Mclaughlin finding Mark McLaughlin  whose effort was blocked and when the ball was recycled another substitute Joe Grant found Matthew Mclaughlin who fired over. Substiutes Grant and Mclaughlin then combined for the latter to turn sharply inside the area but he fired just wide. The youths responded and when Aaron Porter collected a kick out thirty five yards out his first time effort bounced just wide of the post. The Youths substitutes Ethan Devlin and Callum Doherty combined  but the latters effort was just wide of the post. The reserve  side upped the tempo and Dessie Doherty  was denied by a good save from McCarron  before Conor O Donnell fired a half volley straight at McCarron.  On 82 minutes Joe Grant unleashed a fine effort from the edge of the area crashed off the bar. The youths scored a late consolation from the penalty spot when Tiernan McDonald converted a penalty after a handball in the area.

Cockhill Res 3

Culdaff Res 0

Cockhill were made to work hard for the win with Culdaff keeper Dermot Callaghan proving hard to beat. It took Cockhill until the stroke of half time to break the deadlock with Jay Bradley quickest to react to a breaking ball in the box to fire low past Dermot Callaghan. Midway through the second half as Cockhill pushed for a second they were awarded a free kick 25 yards out to the right of the D. Kieran McIlroy put a marker down for goal of the season with a perfectly struck free kick, finding the top corner with a great strike giving Dermot Callaghan no chance. The win was sealed 10 minutes later as Kevin McDaid flighted a great cross into the box and Ryan Downey rose highest to power an unstoppable header past Dermot Callaghan from just outside the six yard box.

Buncrana Res 2

Illies Res 3

The home side started this game well and Stephen McHugh was narrowly off target with a good effort. They continued to press and broke the deadlock on 17 minutes from a Jerry Gill corner which was met by a superb Liam McCarron header past Graham Doherty. Illies equalised on 34 minutes when they broke from a Buncrana corner and  Martin Doherty raced clear to drill past Oran McBride. Buncrana regained the lead before the break when after Michael Doherty threaded a fine pass into the path of Christopher McKinley and he fired low to the corner. Three minutes after the restart the visitors equalised again when the home defence failed to clear and David Doherty s effort squeezed over the line. The game swung from end to end and Illies struck for what proved to be the winner on 68minutes when after a well worked free kick Dominic Doherty s effort came back off the crossbar for  Nathan McLaughlin to fire home.

Jackie Crossan Premier Division    

Greencastle FC 4

Clonmany Shamrocks 0

In a lively opening period Jack Coyle for the home side had a header saved by Aiden Lynch in the Clonmany goal while at the other end Jason Devlin fired a left footed effort just over the bar. Greencastle took the lead then on 10minutes after a deep Ciaran Diver cross was half volleyed to the top corner from twelve yards by Coyle for a superb finish. Clonmany had a chance to level within minutes when Jamie Coyle latched onto a long ball and was denied by a fine smothering save from Patrick Quigley. The home side then doubled their lead minutes after this let off when Nigel McMonagle was first to react to a long clearance from Kyle Harkin and he rounded Lynch before controlling and slotting to the unguarded net. Before the break McMonagle had one shot wide , another saved and was then denied by a superb tackle from Lynch as he attempted to round the keeper. Clonmany had a late effort  but Quigley was equal to Devlins effort. Clonmany had an early chance in the second half but Liam Hirrell saw his effort blocked and from that the home side broke the length of the field with  Jack Coyle s effort cleared off the line. Greencastle substitute Conor Gillen then won possession and crossed but McMonagle headed wide. Ciaran Diver for the home side and Devlin for the visitors were both off target with efforts before Greencastle sealed the win on 85 minutes. A pinpoint kick out from Patrick Quigley found McMonagle who controlled superbly before drilling to the top corner from just inside the area. McMonagle completed his hat trick when he ran on to Gillens excellent through ball  before drilling low to the bottom corner.

Moville Celtic 5

Carn FC 3

The home side got off to the perfect start with a goal in the opening minute. Some fine interplay ended with Connor Doherty sweeping in Michael McNaught’s right wing cross from six yards. Carn keeper Kyle Harkin denied McNaught moments later getting down low to push his shot on the turn around the post. In the 9th minute it was two nil with McNaught intercepting a Carn ball and setting up Marc Bell for an easy finish. Moville’s Norbert Indyka had a fine effort in the 18th minute only to see his curling shot rebound off the inside of the post and cleared to safety. Moville were three  up in the 32nd minute when after some constant pressure Bell recycled the ball to McNaught in the area who dispatched the ball low into the net following some quick footwork .Carn tried to reply with Christy Diver testing home keeper Ryan Coyle with a long low drive and moments later with a free kick in the same manner. Moville had goal number four  in the 39th minute when Bell swept home at the far post after more good interplay between the Moville attack. Early in the second half Harkin saved onto the upright from McNaught at point blank range while at the other end Coyle was at full stretch to deny Christy McDaid and also Christy Diver’s follow up shot. Moville’s fifth came in the 64th minute via a penalty after Indyka was upended in the box by the keeper with sub Jack McConellogue firing home. Harkin saved from McConnellogue minutes later while Carn pulled their first goal back when sub Cian Burke retrieved his own attempt and squared to the unmarked Cantwell to finish. Harkin then made a triple save in the 76th minute firstly saving from Indyka when he was one on one and then blocking McConnellogue’s follow up while saving on the line in the scramble. McConnellogue and Bell had further chances which weren’t taken only for Carn to score twice in as many minutes. Christy McDaid angled his first time shot past Coyle from Burke’s pass in the 84th minute while Burke himself chipped the keeper a minute later after a defensive mix up. Harkin kept the final score at 5-3 with a full length save from sub Oisin McElhinney’s long range drive and then blocking with his feet from Connor Doherty in the dying seconds.

Strand Hotel Division One  

QPS  2

Culdaff  FC 1

The point started much the better of the two teams  with Josh Boyle advancing on the right in the opening minute and crossing for David Healy whose  effort  was well saved by Martin McLaughlin in the visitors goal. They opened the scoring on 6minutes after Healys cross from the left was met with a low finish from Darragh McDermott from eight yards. Culdaff gradually came into the game and an inswinging Jack O Brien corner was clawed away from beneath the bar by Oisin Burke. Then O’Briens cross found Jack McLaughlin at the back post but he headed over the bar when well placed .  Before the break Boyle found time and space to unleash an effort from the edge of the area  but McLaughlin was equal to the task. The home side went close within minutes of the restart after Healy beat the advancing McLaughlin to a through ball but his poked effort went just wide. Culdaff responded and got back on terms on 65 minutes when  Jack McLaughlin advanced on the right , cut inside and fired a left footed effort across Burke and in off the far post. In a flurry of activity in the final ten minutes Culdaff had three efforts. Firstly Ryan Greene fired wide from the edge of the area before Conor Doherty had an effort saved by Burke. The best chance saw a ball break to Green inside the area but from twelve yards he fired inches wide. In the final minute the Point claimed all three points when substitute Josh McLaughlin fired to the roof of the net from the penalty spot after  Boyle had been upended.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two A   

Rasheney FC 2

Carrowmena   FC 1

The home side had the advantage of a slight wind and dominated the majority of the half. Their first chance came on 7minutes after Eoin McLaughlin advanced from the centre circle but saw his twenty five yards effort drift just wide. Carrowmena responded and spurned a gilt edged chance when Adam Harkin blazed over when well placed after good approach play from Michael Henry. Rasheney got on top for the remainder of the half and Charlie  Dohertys long ball sent David McLaughlin clear but Kyle Dougal advanced to smother. They broke the deadlock on 19  after McLaughlin laid the ball off from a Peter Doherty cross to Eoin McLaughln who sidestepped a defender and hammered  a low shot from the edge of the area past Dougal. Both David McLaughlin and Doherty with a free kick fired just over before on the stroke of half time David Mclaughlin sent a glorious ball across the face of goal inside the six yards are but there were no takers. On 53 minutes the home side increased their lead after Charlie Doherty held off defenders before laying the ball sideways to David McLaughlin to slot low to the net from twelve yards. They almost added a third when Cormac Dillon set up David McLaughlin but his powerful effort was parried behind by Dougal and from the corner Doherty hooked the ball over. Carrowmena upped the tempo then and reduced the deficit on 69 minutes when substitute Mark Doherty laid the ball off in a crowded area for Ronan Doherty to fire low past Damien Friel. The remainder of the game saw sustained Carrowmena pressure  but they failed to trouble Friel as the home side held on for three points.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two B   

Dunree Res 1

Rasheney  Res 0

The first 20 minutes was very tight with both defences well on top  and no chances at either end. The first effort  came when a great one two by Callum Booth and Bernard Doherty  saw Doherty s low effort well saved by  Roger Mc Gilloway in the Rasheeny goal .On the half hour  Rasheney had a great chance  after Trevor Doherty laid the ball off at the edge of the 18 yard box to Mickey Mc Laughlin who curled the ball just right and wide  of the top corner .The only goal of the game came in the 37th  minute when Callum Booth had a great low drive palmed out by Roger Mc Gilloway but the ball  fell then to Bernard Doherty for a tap in at the back post. On 42 minutes then  Mickey Grant after  great work in midfield put Evan Barry down the line and his shot at angle hit the side netting .There was very little in the second half with  neither keeper called into action , with very few chances and both defenses well on top for Dunree to hold on for a narrow  win.