Match Reports Sunday 23rd August

Charlie O Donnell Cup  Final

Two goal Harkin the hero for the shamrocks

Clonmany Shamrocks                  3

QPS                                              1

Clonmany laid the foundation for this win with a dominant midfield display orchestrated by two goal hero Jake Harkin and Oisin Hession

an even openinghalf hour David Healy headed a Darragh McIntyre corner over the bar  before at the other end Shane McCaul controlled a Dean Harkin  cross but Deaglan Bown blocked superbly. A superb Jason Devlin crossfield ball found McCaul on the left before he cut in and saw his deflected effort turned round the post by Oisn Burke. Then an inswinging Damien Duffy free saw Jake Harkin just fail to get enough on the ball to score. The point replied and Healy fired a free just over before Sean McClgan s free fell to John McCloskey but from a tight angle he fired wide. The deadlock was broken on 36 minutes after a long Gareth Bradley ball over the top found Duffy and he lifted the ball over Burke and into the net. Minutes later Jason Devlin got in behind the defence and opted to lay the ball back but McIntyre made a vital interception. The point then saw Caolan McColgan turn sharply on the edge of the area but he fired over the bar. Clonmany dealt the Point a killer blow on the stroke of half time after great work by Hession  released  Harkin who advanced and unleashed a stunning twenty give yards effort to the top corner giving Burke no chance. Six minutes into the second half substitute Fionnbar Harley released Caolan Harkin on the left and his superb cross saw Patrick Harkin collide with his brother Fergal but Gareth Bradley cleared the danger. Harley then had a snapshot defelected wide  before in a quick break Devlin was denied by the advancing Burke. The points best chance came on 58 minutes after McIntyre’s superb cross from the left was  missed by Healy but fell to McCloskey  at the back post but he hesitated and his effort was blocked. Clonmany substitute Pearse McCarron  made an instant impression when he beat two defenders inside the area but drilled over the bar. Again at the other end McColgan worked an opening on the edge of the area but fired over. Clonmany all but sealed victory on 79 minutes when McCarron collected the ball on the left and played a superb lofted pass into the middle for Harkin to head the ball past the advancing Burke to make it three nil.  The point battled to the end and got a consolation when Harley got on the end of   Ross Nicholas free to fire home at the back post with the Clonmany defence static. Clonmany had the final chance after  Hession stole possession high up the pitch and released McCarron but his low shot was saved by the legs of Burke.

Photo: Clonmany captain with Charlie O’ Donnell Trophy


For the point Darragh McIntyre  and Deaglan Bown played well and Caolan McColgan battled throughout. For the shamrocks their defence was solid and Oisin Hession, Damien Duffy and Dean Harkin were  good. But on the night the award goes to Jake Harkin whose constant surges forward and excellent  all round  play was supplemented with two superb goals.


Jackie Crossan Premier Division     

Buncrana Hearts               3         

Greencastle FC                  1

The visitors started the better in Castle Park with Jason Dickson seeing an effort cleared off the line by Keith McColgan before the same player dragged an effort wide when well placed. Buncrana replied on 15minutes when Bart Wesoloski found Aaron McDaid but well placed he drilled wide. The visitors took the lead then minutes later when Christy Hegarty rose highest to plant a lovely header across Eoghan O’Doherty and inside the far post. They spurned anpther great chance when Nigel McMonagle pounced on a defensive mix up but lobbed just over the bar. Buncrana upped the tempo then and both  Wesoloski and Ben Bradley had good efforts saved by Dylan Doherty. Following good build up play they had another chance but McDaid failed to hit the target. The Hearts started better on the resumption and levelled on 51 minutes. Wesoloski played a free kick out to Eoin Murphy on the right and his first time cross was swept home by McDaid. A superb McColgan cross then eluded both Gerard Boyle and Wesoloski .  Greencastle replied and had a great chance when McMonagle broke clear but was denied by a superb save from Eoghan O’Doherty. At the other end the home side had penalty appeals  waved away before the home side took the lead on 80 minutes. Murphys free into the area was not cleared  and the ball broke kindly for Wesoloski to slot home. They sealed the points with a third when Gerard Boyle controlled brilliantly before finding McDaid  who hammered home from twenty yards for a fine goal.  Greencastle had the final chance but O’Doherty produced a superb save from Hegartys effort.


Aileach secure league title with gritty display in Crua

Glengad United                 0         

Aileach FC                            0

Aileach clinched the point they needed to win their second league title at a rain soaked Crua on Sunday afternoon in an entertaining game. but started well and on 6 minutes a quick diagonal Gareth McGlynn free was headed wide by the unmarked Gavin Doherty from eight yards. Glengad responded and a Seamus Doherty cross shot was well held by Kyle Dougal in the visitors goal.  At the other end a Dermot Doherty ball inside the area was met by the head of the arriving Gavin Doherty but Daniel Mullarkey made a superb save to push the ball away for a corner. There was a period of defensive prominence at both ends until Matthew Byrne advanced from towards the edge of the Aileach area but dragged his effort wide. Glengads best chance of the game then came on the stroke of half time. Terence Doherty broke into the left hand side of the area and played the ball back to the advancing James McKinney  who met the ball in his stride but Dougal made the save of the season to tip the ball onto the post and the danger was cleared. It looked all over a goal but an unbelievable save by the young keeper. Glengad dominated the second half with Aileach seemingly playing a dangerous game in trying to hold on to what they had. A short free to Byrne on the edge of the area saw his effort deflected narrowly over . On 55 minutes a good move saw McKinney ‘s pass dumied by Dillon Ruddy to substitute John McDaid on the left hand side of the area but he drove across goal and wide. Aileach went close minutes later when McGlynn released Aaron Nash on the left and from the byeline his low cross saw Dermot Doherty nip in front of Mullarkey but from  his overhead kick from a very tight angle flew over. Glengad then broke on the right hand side and a driven Conor Barrow cross deflected off a defender and onto the crossbar before being cleared. Glengad continued to press and forced a number of corners but Cathal McElhinney and Dean Curran stood firm and Dougal made some superb catches under pressure to keep the home side out. The last chance for the home side came on 85 minutes when after McDaids free from the left fell to McKinney his curling left footed goalbound shot was headed away by McElhinney. Aileach played out the remaining minutes and secured the point needed to clinch the league title.

Photo:Gavin Doherty Aileach Captain receiving the Jackie Crossan Premier Division trophy from League Secretary Diarmuid O’Brien

Inishowen Engineering Division Two  A   11am

Moville Res                         6         

Redcastle  Res                   1

After an even opening Moville took the lead after a Conor Doherty fell to Emmet McCauley to slam the ball home on 15 minutes. Five minutes later another Doherty corner found Matthew Mclaughlin to head to the roof of the net. Moville made it three before the interval when Dermot Harkin played two quick one  twos to burst into the area and slot low past Michel McCole. Redcastle started the second half the better and reduced the deficit on 51 minutes when Gavin Grant fired a twenty yards free in off the post. But Moville restored their three goal advantage when John McGeady released McLaughlin to outpace the defence and finish well. In a carbon copy of the opening goal another Doherty corner was headed home by McCauley. They completed the scoring  after good work by Harkin and McLaughlin ended with   Danny Murphy completing the scoring.

Cockhill Res                        1

Clonmany Celtic                2

Cockhill welcomed the newly crowned league champions to the Charlie O Donnell Sports Ground in what proved to be a keenly contested tight affair.

It was Clonmany who took the lead midway through the first half when Eamon Reidy somehow poked home from a very tight angle past the covering Cockhill defender and keeper.Despite plenty possession Cockhill were finding it difficult to breakdown an experienced and organised Clonmany side.That experience proved key again as Clonmany stretched their lead just before half time when a breaking ball fell kindly to Niall McDaid who was first to react and fire home from eight yards leaving Cockhill keeper Eoin Colhoun no chance.Cockhill kept pressing in the second half and their efforts were rewarded after 70 minutes when they finally found a way past Clonmany keeper Kieran Friel and it took a special strike from 25 yards by Mark Gillespie which found the top corner. Despite relentless late pressure from the home side Clonmany held firm for the win. Congratulations to the Clonmany lads on a solid season and winning the league, well deserved.

Dunree  Res                                    2

Aileach Youths                   6

After a tight opening period the home side opened the scoring midway through the half after quick thinking from William Doherty released Owen Coombes to fire low to the corner. But the visitors responded and equalised on 37 minutes after Benny Hegarty released Gregory Doherty  to fire low past Philip Doherty in the home goal. The home side were then dealt a big blow when they were reduced to ten men on the stroke of half time. As a result Aileach dominated the second period and a three goal blast within a ten minute spell sealed the points. Firstly Kevin Wallace headed home from a  corner before good skill on the edge of the area from Hegarty ended with a cool finish. Then Jordan McGeady added number four with a fine strike from outside the area. On the hour mark a fine solo run saw Darren Bradley carry the ball all of sixty yards before finishing well to the net. Dunree s efforts were rewarded on 85 minutes when Tommy Doherty converted a penalty after  Ryan O Donnell was upended. But Aileach had the final say when Hegarty was again the  provider finding Denim McLaughlin to score from close range.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two   B    11am

Culdaff Res              5         

Carn Res                   5

Following on from their fifteen goal encounter last week the trend continued at a rain soaked Caratra Park this weekend. Culdaff started well and a Ben Curley free was well tipped over by Kyle Harkin but a poor defensive header from the corner fell to Jack McLaughlin to slam home. The home side increased their lead then with Sean McGrenaghan firing home after Mclaughlin’s effort was parried . Carn reduced the deficit shortly after when Dayton Cooke sent a ball over the top for Cian Burke to fire past Dermot Callaghan.They equalised midway through the half when Cooke despatched a twenty yards free past the wall to the net.  But Culdaff regained the lead on 37 minutes after an inch perfect cross from McGrenaghan found McLaughlin to head home from six yards. They increased their lead on the stroke of half time after an Aiden Cunningham effort was well parried by Harkin but McLaughlin pounced to drill home and complete his hat trick. Carn got a goal back when Dayton Cooke converted a penalty after Burke was impeded in the area on 53 minutes. But Culdaff hit back and made it five three when Mclaughlin fed McGrenaghan who fired home on the half volley to the the roof of the net. The visitors rallied again and reduced the deficit to the minimum after Burke raced onto a  ball over the top to finish well. They got back on terms when Cooke converted a second penalty after Sean O Donnell was upended to make it five apiece.

Carrowmena FC                 3         

Clonmany Res                    0

The first chance of note fell to the home side on 22 minutes when Gerard Gill saw a crisp effort from the edge of the area saved by Killian McCarron low to his right. Carrowmena opened the scoring on 36 minutes after Evan McDermott fed a ball into the path of PJ Thompson who fired low to the corner from ten yards. They increased their lead just before the interval after Sean Diver found      McDermott who laid the ball off on the edge of the area for Gill to hammer to the top corner for a superb goal. The first chance of the second half did not arrive until the 71st minute  and it fell to the visitors. A John Porter cross after good work on the right was headed narrowly wide by Michael Devlin. Carrowmena sealed the points then on 83 minutes when Ciaran Bonner  sent Diver clear and he chipped the advancing McCarron. Clonmany had the final chance when a David McGonigle cross found  Mark Kelly but he failed to hit the  target when well placed.

Illies Res clinch league title in style

Rasheney Res         1         

Illies Res                  6

By virtue of Carns draw in Culdaff on Sunday morning  Illies made sure of the league title with this win in wet conditions at Trawbreaga Park. The visitors started on top and dominated throughout. Frankie O Connor skied over the bar on 12 minutes before they took the lead when O’Connor advanced on the right cut in and crossed for John Pio Donaghy drove low past Roger McGilloway from ten yards. Gavin Doherty was then denied by a good save from McGilloway. Illies increased their lead midway through the half after an Alan Fletcher header came off the bar to O’Connor who slotted home. It became three nil before the break after Fletcher crossed for Liam O Connor to drill low to the corner from twelve yards. Further chances  saw Gavin Doherty fire over before Fletcher was denied by McGilloway on the stroke of half time. On 51 minutes Illies made it four nil when a Fletcher effort was parried by McGilloway for Gavin Doherty to drill the loose ball home. On the hour Fletcher advanced from midfield and unleashed an effort which McGilloway palmed away at full stretch. Illies made it five when Frankie O Connor crossed from the right for substitute Joe McLaughlin to turn the ball home. Illies converted a penalty to make it six nil with another substitute James Downey firing low past McGilloway. In the latter stages Frankie O Connor had one effort off the bar and another saved by McGilloway. Rasheney scored a late consolation on 89 minutes when substitute Jack McLaughlin broke clear of the visitors defence and squared to Adam Kirkland who hammered to the top corner from twenty yards.

League Registrar Jude Mc Crossan presents the Inishowen Engineering division two “B” shield to Illies Liam O’Connor also in photo Illies Manager Brendan Mc Daid