Match Reports Sunday 21st November

Sunday 21st  November 

Ulster Junior Cup  

Letterkenny  Rovers 1

Cockhill Youths 0

Cockhill fell to a surprising defeat in the Aura Centre but will be rueing the amount of chances they  created and failed to convert. The hosts had the first chance on 5 minutes when Jack Dwyer fed Nathan Plump but he failed to hot the target from a good position.

They took the lead on 12 minutes after a Dwyer free was parried by Eoin Colhoun  and when the ball was returned into the area Patrick Gahir unmarked headed home. Cockhill awoke from their slumber and after goo interplay by Cian Downey and Shane A Doherty the latters cross was headed wide by Oisin O’ Flaherty. They created another opening on 29 minutes when an Adam Mclaughlin header was headed across goal by Michael Noone to Odhran O‘Brien-Daly but his header was well saved by Blake Forkan. Before the break the home side had an opportunity when Dwyer broke clear on the right but failed to trouble Colhoun. Cockhill dominated the second half but failed to make their possession count and failed to create clear chances. Midway through the half a Sean McCallion cross was missed by the inrushing O’Flaherty who then collided with Forkan but the home defence cleared. Mc Callion had a late chance to force extra time but his effort was tipped away high to his right by Forkan.

Jackie Crossan Premier Division  

Buncrana Hearts 2

Carn FC 0

The opening half was a scrappy affair but in saying that both sides had good  chances. Ben Bradley for the home side had the first effort when he evaded a couple of tackles but saw his effort saved by Kyle Harkin. Carn responded and went close twice in a five minute spell. Firstly Christy McLaughlin had an effort parried by Eoghan O Doherty who recovered well to save Will Quinns header. The same two players combined then when McLaughlin pulled the ball back to Quinn but from seven yards he failed to hit the target. At the other end Bart Wesolowski failed to find the target when he got on the end of a Shane Dillon free to the back post. The Hearts broke the deadlock on 39minutes when Dillon headed home from a Calvin Gallagher corner. The visitors had another good chance on the stroke of half time but Christopher Diver headed wide when well placed five yards from goal. Buncrana had much the better of the second half and in the opening minute of the second half Wesoloski broke on the left,cut inside and laid the ball off to Mikey Friel whose effort was well saved by Harkin. They added a second on 58 minutes from the penalty spot when Calvin Gallagher converted after a handball decision. Wesoloski then got on the end of Dillons free kick  but unmarked headed wide at the back post on 78 minutes. The visitors woes were complete when McLaughlin collected his second caution of the game and received a red as the home side saw the game out.


Illies Celtic 0

Aileach FC 1

Aileach stated at a blistering pace and took the lead on 10 minutes after the home defence switched off allowing Gavin Doherty tocollect a throw in and lay the ball back for Darren McMonagle to hammer the ball high past Johnathan Noone from the edge of the area.McMonagle then twice went close to increasing the lead when he had one effort saved and another tipped over the bar by Noone. Illies responded on the half hour with Paul Doherty breaking into the area but firing over the top.The home side went close again after a shortRonan Hegarty  corner found Dominick Doherty whose twelve yards effort was well saved by Darragh Mclaughlin in the Aileach goal. Illies started the second half well and when Adrian Donaghey-Doherty butst into the area his effort was well saved by McLaughlin before substitute Dominic Coyle fired wide when well placed. At the other end McMonagle fired into the side netting from a good position before Gavin Doherty went past two defenders but saw Noone make a good save.Illies finished the game strongly and will feel they should have salvaged a point. Paul Doherty fed kevin McGonagle inside the area and when he evaded a defender he dragged his effort across goal and wide. In the final minute a corner was headed out to McGonagle whose effort was headed away again to Coyle  on the penalty spot but he fired wide and the visitors held on to claim a vital three points.


Moville Celtic 0

Glengad United 2

In an opening period of few chances Moville keeper Seamus Houghton had to be quick off his line to block Glengad’s Brandon Browne’s low drive in the 11th minute while at the other end John McDaid cleared off his own line a header from Moville’s Ryan McColgan. In the 25th minute it was Browne through again but his shot was blocked for a corner and minutes later Glengad forward Terence Doherty could only fire tamely straight at Houghton.

The second half began the same as the first with Browne being denied by Houghton but in the 50th minute Terence Doherty controlled the ball and fired a beautiful shot past Houghton into the top corner from 20 yards to give the visitors the lead. Moville responded with a Norbert Indyka header from a free kick which Glengad keeper Daniel Mularkey did well to claw away low to his right. Midway through the second half Glengad had efforts from Stephen McLaughlin which he fired over from 20 yards and a Seamus Doherty free kick from all of 40 yards out which just missed the goal. Terence Doherty got his and Glengad’s second in the 75th minute after a breakaway allowed Doherty into the home area. His first attempt was blocked well but he gathered the rebound and curled a left footer into the far corner. After more home pressure Glengad broke away again in the 80th minute but Stephen McLaughlin’s shot was well blocked by a retreating Moville defender. The home side’s search for a consolation nearly came good in the dying moments after good combination work involving Oisin McElhinney, substitute Pearse Doherty and Michael McNaught led to McElhinney unleashing a powerful shot from just inside the area which Mularkey did well to parry to safety.


Strand Hotel Division One   

Redcastle United 2


Redcatle got off to a dream start in the 12th minute of this local derby when Stephen Grant crossed for Ronan Hoy to drill past Conor McColgan from six yards. But the point rallied and equalised on 22  minutes when a John McCloskey effort was well saved by Michael McCole but McCloskey followed in to knock the rebound home. The visitors then took the lead on 37 minutes after a David Healy corner found the unmarked Darragh McDermott to head past McCole from ten yards. The opening period of the second half saw defences on top until the 66th minute when McDermott s twenty five yards thunderbolt was brilliantly saved by McCole. At the other end Grant and Darragh McConway combined to tee up Sean Curran but he drilled just wide   from twenty yards.The point then struck twice in the final five minutes to seal the tie. Firstly Healy found Josh Boyle in space and he drilled a superb twenty yards effort low to the corner past McCole on 87 minutes. Three minutes later after McDermott was upended  Boyle converted to make it four one. Redcastle got a consolation in injury time after Currans free was parried by McColgan for McConway to slot home.

Clonmany Res 3

Greencastle Youth 1

The visitors started well and both Kyle Harkin and Andrew Peoples were narrowly off target in the opening ten minutes. Clonmany responded with Philip Devlin heading wide , Dessie Doherty  going close with a shot and Kevin Harkin shooting straight at Paul Doherty in the visitors goal. But the pressure told before the break when Mark McLaughlin fired a twenty yards free into the bottom corner . They hit the visitors with a two goal blitz within five minutes of the restart to essentially seal the victory. Liam Hirrell struck first when he headed home  Dessie Doherty s pinpoint cross. Then McLaughlin intercepted a back pass and raced clear to drill past Doherty. Greencastle reduced the deficit when Ciaran Diver was upended inside the area and Brendan McClenaghan converted  from the spot. In the latter stages McLaughlin for the home side had an effort saved while at the other end Diver unleashed a low shot but Kieran Friel was equal to it.


Gleneely Colts 0

Aileach Res 0

Played in crisp sunny conditions Aileach were first to show on 10minutes when a poor back pass and clearance from Oran Raymond was seized upon by Stephen Doherty but he fired over from the edge of the box with the goal gaping. Five minutes later Stephen Doherty had another chance but Oran Raymond saved well at his feet from a ball in from the right by Darren Bradley. Gleneely grew more into the game not allowing Alieach to settle and being well organized. On 20minutes a ball in from the right by Corey O’Brien was narrowly poked wide by Darragh O’Connor before   O’Connor had another chance when we stole the ball in midfield and advance to the edge of the box but shot wide of David McGeady’s goal. On 27minutes Corey O’Brien won the ball out on the right and squared to Ciaran Gallagher in the box but his touch let him down and David McGeady was able to gather. The remainder of the half was played out with Gleneely on top but not being able to get that all important goal. Aileach started the second half fast with Darren Bradley’s ball in from the left finding Kyle McCann but he shot narrowly wide when well placed. On  the hour Kyle McCann had another chance but his shot was blocked in the box and Gleneely cleared. At the other end a Kevin Doherty cross from the right found Ciaran Gallagher but his shot was pushed wide by David McGeady. Midway through the half  great passing  out from the back from Aileach resulted in Connor Gallagher slicing wide from the edge of the box when well placed.  Gleneely responded as play swung from end to end and another  Kevin Doherty ball in from the right fell to  Ciaran Gallagher but his shot was blocked in the box by Kevin Wallace to safety. Then  good work in midfield by Cahir O’Kane and his ball found Ciaran Gallagher on the edge of the area who  forced another good save from David McGeady. In the final minute good work down the left from Darragh O’Connor found Ciaran Gallagher and his snap shot just whistled past the left hand post. 

Inishowen Engineering Division Two   

Illies Res 1

Rasheney FC 0

A superlative display by William McLaughlin in the home goal meant the home side snatched all three points late in the game. The visitors dominated the opening half  and had a couple of good chances but McLaughlin was equal to everything throw at him. Charlie Doherty had a shot well saved by McLaughlin on 17 minutes before the keeper tipped over a superb Cormac Dillon strike on 33 minutes. Before the break a dangerous  John McLaughlin inswinging corner was well dealt with by the home custodian. Illies first threat came minutes after the restart when  Shane Devlin cut in from the right and squared for Gavin Doherty who fired narrowly wide from twenty yards. But Rasheney resumed on the offensive with Dillon seeing an effort cleared off the line by Dominic Doherty before Mclaughlin saved well from David McLaughlin and John Grant in quick succession. Against the run of plsy the home side broke the deadlock in the 80th minute when Devlin released Marty Doherty whose low cross evaded everyone and fell to Gavin Doherty to hammer home at the back post. Rasheney threw everything forward in the final ten minutes but the closest they came was in the final minute when Charlie Doherty s effort was again saved by McLaughlin to give the home side all three points.


Cockhill Res 2

Culdaff Res 0

Cockhill started on the front foot and made their early pressure count after good work by Luke Bradley set up Mark Gillespie to fire home from just inside the box past Culdaff keeper Dermot Callaghan in the 7th minute. Chances came and went for Cockhill throughout the first half and were almost made to pay as Culdaff grew into the match and almost equalised just before half time when a quick counter saw Sean McGrenaghan drag his shot just wide when through on goal.Cockhill continued to press for a second to give themselves some breathing space but Culdaff held firm and were well in this match until midway through the second half when Andy McIlhinney made it two nil after a  fine cross from Kevin McDaid fell nicely for McIlhinney to finish first time from six  yards out. Culdaff rallied and Cockhill had their keeper Donal Og to thank for the clean sheet with several good saves from distance to keep Culdaff at bay.

Culdaff keeper Dermot Callaghan was also kept busy making fine saves from both Liam Bradley and Kieran McIlroy shots. Connor McDaid, making his senior debut for Cockhill, almost got a debut goal and a third for Cockhill late on but his effort on goal just lacked enough pace to trouble Dermot Callaghan as Cockhill held on for a hard earned home win.


Rasheney Res 0

Moville Res 1

In a close hard fought game defences were on top until the 33rd minute when the home sides Joey Holland released Jake O Donnell who found Trevor Doherty but he was denied by Ryan Coyle in the Moville goal.Minutes later a first time cross from O’Donnell found Doherty well placed inside the area but he failed to hit the target. Before the break a poor pass in the home defence allowed Conor Doherty to s trike a superb twenty five yards effort past Roger McGilloway and in off the post. There was little in the way of goalmouth action after the break until the 77th minute came off defender Mateuz Indyka but deflected just wide. In a late break for the visitors Mark Grimley  had an effort saved by McGilloway.


Carrowmena FC 7

Clonmany Youth 4

Clonmany stunned the league leaders when they raced into a two goal lead in the opening twenty minutes. On  7 minutes Aaron Porter raced  clear on the right and his cross was swept past Kyle Dougal by Thomas Comiskey from ten yards. It became two nil in the 20th minute after Jack Doherty released John McCarron to beat the offside trap and slot low past Dougal. But the home side responded and reduced the deficit from the penalty spot when Ronan Doherty converted after a handball in area. On the half hour they were level after Ryan McDermott sidefooted home a Jude Harkin cross from twelve yards past Killian McCarron. They completed the turnaround on 41 minutes when Michael Henry back heeled the ball home from six yards after good work by Jude Harkin. An inswinging wind assisted corner  from Henry on the stroke of half time deceived all and made it four two to the home side at the break. But Clonmany hit back on 55 minutes when Aaron Porter converted a penalty after he had been upended. The goal blitz continued when the homeside made it five three on 70 minutes when Ronan Doherty found McDermott to slot home from six yards. They  sealed the points when they added two further goals from Jude Harkin and a second  Ronan Doherty penalty. Clonmany scored a late consolation when Gavin McDaid pounced to drill a loose ball home after the home defence failed to clear.