Match Reports Sunday 21st January

Oscar Traynor Inter League 

Donegal League           (0)     0

Inishowen League       (2)     4

Played in good conditions in Gweedore  Inishowen turned in a superb performance to complete a six nil aggregate victory and advance to the next round

where they travel to play the Defence Forces. As expected the home side tried to get at Inishowen in the opening stages and a whipped inswinging corner from Aiden McLaughlin flew across the face of goal. But Inishowen settled and a superb move sent Matthew Henry away on the right but his cross just eluded the inrushing Brendan McLaughlin. Inishowen broke the deadlock on 12 minutes when a superb ball from McLaughlin split the home defence for Henry to race through the middle and finish superbly  over the advancing Joe Coll. Inishowen continued to threaten and McLaughlin wasted a good opportunity with a poor cross  before after a mazy run Kieran McDaid was crowded out on the edge of the area. At the other end the home side won a free kick on the edge of the area and when Dylan Doherty parried the initial effort from Caolan McDaid he recovered well to smother Aiden McLaughlin’s follow up. On 36 minutes Inishowen made it two nil with another flowing move with Adam Byrne and Dillon Ruddy combining to feed McLaughlin on the left and his excellent cross was swept home by Terence Doherty despite Coll getting a hand to the shot. Before the break Inishowen almost added a third but a Matthew Henry effort from the edge of the area crashed off the base of the post. Inishowen were totally dominant in the second period and were comfortable on the ball but at times were guilty of over playing and as a result squandered some good opportunities. Henry, Doherty and Mclaughlin all spurned good openings and they had to wait until the 67th minute to add the third goal when Adam Byrne sent Ruddy away on the right and his deep cross as slotted home at full stretch by McLaughlin at the back post. Donegal kept battling and Gareth Colhoun had a free kick well saved by Inishowen substitute Darragh McLaughlin. At the other end another fine piece of one touch interplay ended with Henry facing down Coll but his attempted flick  drifted over the bar. Inishowen completed the scoring late on after Henry broke on the right and unselfishly squared for substitute Conor Barrow to fire high past Coll from twelve yards and complete an emphatic win.

Inishowen Team who defeated Donegal on Saturday Night (Photo by Donegal Sport’s Hub)

Strand Hotel Division One              

Cockhill Youths             1

Aileach Res                   2

This game was reversed to Lakeside and Aileach took full advantage with a narrow two one win.Aileach got off to a great start on 5 minutes after n Eamon Brown corner found Sean McHugh who headed past Declan Caldwell from six yards. Cockhill replied and Shay McLaughlin fired a free kick just wide from the edge of the area. Aileach then went close again following another corner when McHugh’s left footed volley from the edge of the area crashed off the post with Conor Allen completing the clearance. The introduction of Adam McLaughlin by the visitors at half time had an immediate effect and on 51 minutes when his effort was parried by Ciaran Bradley the ball fell to Jack McDaid who finished superbly to the net from the edge of the area. Cockhill were on top and Bradley in the home goal produced a superb double save to deny Michael Noone firstly and then Michael Owen Doherty’s follow up. But Cockhill suffered a blow when they lost Christopher Duffy to injury and with all substitutes used they had to play the last ten minutes with ten players. This galvanised Aileach and they struck for a late winner when Stephen O’Donnell collected a clearance and saw his lob deflect off a defender past Declan Caldwell.

Hannon Greene Insurances Fr O Gara Cup  

Clonmany Res                    3

Gleneely Colts                   2

Gleneely had the best of the opening half and on 14 minutes Billy McCann broke in from the left but fired goalwards and Fergal Bradley made a fine finger tip save. The colts broke the deadlock on 31minutes after a strong run by Cory O Brien took him into the area to shoot low past Bradley. Clonmany came more into the game on the restart but on the hour the Colts made it two nil when an Enda  Folan cross found Jordan O Brien and he controlled before slotting low past Bradley. The home side got  a goal back on 66 minutes when Nathan McKinney broke into the area past two challenges and fired right footed to the bottom corner. Clonmany equalised on 76 minutes after a Pearse McCarron cross found David McGonigle to slot home at the back post. Clonmany had the momentum and on 88 minutes McKinney’s free kick found Kevin Harkin who headed past Adrian Duffy from ten yards. In added time Gleneely threw everything and everyone forward and had a chance to force extra time but Cory O Brien fired over the bar

Aileach Youths                   3

Sea Rovers                          4

Aileach’s youngsters suffered heartbreak with two late goals by the more experienced Sea Rovers team but not without putting up a great fight. Aileach flew out of the blocks and took the lead inside five minutes when Paddy Curran raced down the left before squaring the ball to Killian O’Rourke who swivelled  on the penalty spot and fired into the bottom corner past Watson.  Minutes later the duo combined again when MatthewMcDermott’s through ball found Curran who crossed again low into the box to Benny Hegarty whose first time shot was parried by Watson into the path of O’Rourke who doubled Aileach’s advantage.  Sea Rovers got over the early shock and started to dictate the play for a period.  Rovers pulled a goal back on the half hour when Damian Ward’s corner was partially cleared back to Ward who swung a fantastic ball to the back post where Keelan Doherty nodded home from six yards.  Rovers got back on terms right on half time when Ward’s looping cross deceived Clarke in the home goal and he could only parry into the path of the onrushing Damien Harkin who tapped home to level the scores at the break.  Aileach started brightly again at the start of the second half but couldn’t create a clear opening.  Aileach did edge in front again on 65 minutes when McDermott found Hegarty thirty yards from goal, he turned and drove at the defence before slipping Curran through who took aim at the back post, his shot then took a wicked deflection of an unfortunate defender and gave Watson no chance.  With 10 minutes to go came the pivotal moment of the game, Curran broke free on the left and cut inside before unleashing a shot to the far corner that was superbly tipped around the post by Watson.  The seemed to spur Rovers on and with five minutes to go they found an equaliser, a long range free by Ward was fired into the box where Gary Doherty headed across goal for the onrushing Keelan Doherty to slot home.  Rovers then took the lead deep into injury time when another long ball was not properly dealt with by the Aileach defence and theball broke to Doherty who fired across Clarke into the far corner for the


Illies Res                              1

Rasheney FC                       1    (AET  Rasheney win 3-1 on pens)

As expected first division Rasheney dominated long periods of this encounter but they found the home side a very tough nut to crack. And Illies took a shock lead on 22 minutes when a Liam O Connor free was steered home by  Jason Campbell from twelve yards past Kieran Friel. The visitors got back on terms on the half hour mark after a Declan McLaughlin cross was headed back by Brendan Doherty for Matthew McLaughlin to drill low past Graham Doherty. Rasheney dominated most of the second period with Declan Mclaughlin and John Doherty failing to hit the target with gilt edged chances. They also had a great chance when Brendan Doherty broke into the area but fired straight at Graham Doherty. Despite dominating they  failed to break the home side down and extra time ensued. The only real chance in extra time in the second period when Declan McLaughlin broke clear but fired straight at Graham Doherty. In the shootout Rasheney advanced winning three one on penalties.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two   B        

Greencastle Res    1

Carn Res                   2

Carn got off to a great start on 2 minutes when Dayton Cooke overlapped on the right and crossed for Donal Foherty to fire high past Dylan Doherty from twelve yards. Then Kevin McLaughlin fed Niall McGuinness but he advanced and fired over the bar. Midway through the half Cooke  fed brother Cade but his effort was well saved by Doherty. Greencastle first chance when Conor Gillen fed Ronan Doherty who rounded a  defender but fired wide from fifteen yards and minutes later the same players combined but again Doherty failed to hit the target. Five minutes after the restart Carns Conor Doherty fed Dayton Cooke but he fired narrowly wide. Carn increased their lead on 72 minutes when Christy McDaid found Cade Cooke and he lobbed Doherty from thirty yards. Substitutes Ryan Davenport and Dylan Cooke combined for the latter to cross to Conor Doherty but he fired into the side netting. Greencastle got a goal back  when a long free from keeper Doherty came off a Carn defender and past keeper Greg Doherty but Carn held on to claim the points.