Match Reports Sunday 20th September

Jackie Crossan Premier Division   

Grant hat trick the highlight for the visitors

Moville Celtic                     1

Illies Celtic                          5

After a tight and quiet opening period the home side took the lead on 22 minutes after a long ball from Emmet McCauley found Michael McNaught wh advanced and squared for Marc Bell to blast home in off the underside of the bar.

But Illies equalised on the stroke of half time when John Campbell released Brendan Grant to fire low past William O’Carroll in the home goal. Illies then lifted the tempo after the restart and  dominated for long periods of the half. They took the lead on 56 minutes when Campbell advanced into the area and squared for Liam Grant to slot home from ten yards. On 66 minutes they increased their lead when Paul Doherty raced clear of the home defence to finish well past the stranded O’Carroll. Two late goals both excellent finishes from Liam Grant to complete his hat trick sealed an excellent victory for the visitors.

Clonmany  cause shock of the day in Shamrock Park

Clonmany Shamrocks                  2         

Glengad United                             0

There was a really tight opening to this game in beautiful conditions at Shamrock Park. The first opportunity  fell to the home side on 21 minutes after a long floated free from Gareth Bradley found Jason Devlin at the back post but he failed to connect with a header. Mark Mclaughlin then collected the ball inside the area but lost his footing and the chance was lost. Glengad came more into the game and when Conor Barrow crossed to Terence Doherty his effort was blocked by Alex McFadden. Then a James McKinney cross was retrieved on the left by John McDaid whose driven cross across the face of goal found no takers as the half ended scoreless.   Glengad started the second period well with Terence Doherty seeing an effort crash off the bar before Fionn McClure saw a free kick turned round the base of the post by Patrick Harkin. Clonmany replied and took the lead minutes later after Glengad failed to clear a corner and Jason Devlin’s driven effort was diverted past Daniel Mullarkey  from six yards by Mark McLaughlin. They doubled their lead on 61 minutes when a Damien Duffy corner broke to Devlin who volleyed in off the underside of the bar. Glengad suffered a blow then after Denim McLaughlin was red carded for dissent. Clonmany threatened on 78 minutes when Paddy Doherty looped the ball over a defender  for Devlin but Mullarkey advanced to gather. Glengad substitute Stephen Harley  saw a late shot deflected wide before Terence Doherty dragged an effort wide in the final stages.

Dickson & McMonagle strikes earn points for the Greeks

Greencastle FC                  2

Carn FC                                 0

This was a very close competitive and hard fought affair at Chapel Lane in glorious sunshine. Carn had an early chance with Christopher McLaughlin’s free tipped onto the bar by Maurice McGeady in the home goal. Greencastle replied and Nigel McMonagle had a clear sight of goal but fired straight at Kyle Harkin. Both Jason Dickson and Conor Gillen for the home side failed to hit the target when well placed as the half ended scoreless. The deadlock was broken on 56 minutes when Dickson collected possession inside the area and finished neatly past Harkin from twelve yards. They doubled their lead on 68 minutes after Dickson released McMonagle who finished well from close range. Carn battled well throughout but failed to create clear chances to get back into the game.  Both McMonagle and Nathan Harkin then  went close with late efforts for the home side.

Strand  Hotel First Division

Dunree open their campaign with victory at Egneys Park

Dunree United                               2                     

Greencastle Youth                                   0

The first fifteen  minutes was a cagey affair with the only chance coming to Tommy Mulhern but he headed over from eight yards. The home side opened the scoring on 25 minutes when Tommy Mulhern played in Jamie Brosnan who rounded the keeper and tapped it home. They doubled the lead when Dermot Graham tapped it home from six yards following a corner. It was nearly three  when Liam Baldrick won the ball high up the pitch but failed to hit the target. The opening 20 minutes in second half was a tight midfield battle with Greencastle getting the better hand.The best chance of the half fell to Kyle McDaid but his effort was well saved by the Greencastle keeper.


Doubles for Hoy & McConway at Lakeside

Aileach Res                                                 1

Redcastle United                                      5

Aileach started well and Caolan  Doherty had an early effort which failed to hit the target. The visitors responded with Ronan Hoy  seeing an effort well saved by Ryan Fox in the home goal. Good interplay then by Doherty and Paddy Curran saw the latter unleash an effort which Michael McCole in the Redcastle goal got down well to save. The home side had another chance but a Pol McGrory header was scrambled clear by the visitors defence. Redcastle broke the deadlock on 35 minutes when McLaughlin had an effort tipped over by Fox and when the home defence  failed to clear the corner Shane McColgan was on hand to slot home. Aileach rallied and got back on terms after good work by Denver Kelly saw his effort slotted home by Josh Boyle  from close range. Redcastle regained the lead on 42 minutes after McColgan broke on the right and squared for Hoy to apply the finishing touch. On the stroke of half time they made it three one with Darragh McConway getting on the end of a good move to slot past Fox. Aileach pressed hard in the second half but failed to penetrate the visitors defence. The visitors added further goals from a close range Hoy finish and a superb strike  from McConway to  run out five one winners.

Doherty and Bradley goals earn promoted Clonmany opening victory

Gleneely Colts                                           0

Clonmany Shamrocks Res                      2

The first game of the new season was played in glorious sunny conditions. Clonmany were quicker out of the blocks and Dessie Doherty had an effort which hit the post on 11 minutes and went wide. Minutes  later, Clonmany went one up when Aaron Harkin scored after good work on the left where he advanced into the area and shot low to Adrian Duffy’s right. Gleneely’s first real chance came just before half time when Barry Kearney’s effort was cleared off the line from Billy McCanns corner. Gleneely finished the stronger after Clonmanys fast start. Six minutes after the restart Clonmany went two  up, when Conor Bradley scored at the back post unopposed from a Dessie Doherty ball across the six yard area. On 60mins, Gleneely were awarded a penalty when Nathan McLaughlin advanced into the area but was upended when he cut back to shoot. The resulting penalty was saved by Kieran Friel when the ball was struck down the middle of the goal. This spurned on Gleneely and had a few half chances from Christy McDaid and Billy McCann. Clonmany were always dangerous on the break with Gleneely pushing forward but Gleneely held the line well.

 Culdaff edge local derby at the Crua

Glengad Res                        1         

Culdaff FC                2

This was a well contested local derby in glorious conditions at the Crua  on Sunday morning. The home side had the first opportunity when Gary Kelly beat the offside trap and dragged his effort wide with Martin McLaughlin to  beat. Culdaff replied and Eugene McLaughlin’s free was tipped around the post by Michael McLaughlin. Culdaff opened the scoring after good work on the right by Aiden  Cunningham on the right saw him cross for Jack O’Brien to squeeze the ball home at the back post. Glengad spurned  their best chance on the stroke of half time after  Kelly raced clear onto a ball over the top but fired wide from the edge of the area. Culdaff had the first chance of the second period when Paul McLaughlin broke from midfield and fired an effort just over the bar from twenty yards. At the other end Kelly got in behind the visitors defence but a superb Sean O’Neill tackle saved the day. Culdaff then made it two nil on 67 minutes after substitute Jack McLaughlin raced onto a ball over the top  and finished calmly. Glengad rallied and got a goal back when Brian Doherty released PJ McDaid whose cross was bundled home by Ryan McLaughlin at the  back post. In the final minute Glengad substitute Oran Doherty had an effort blocked by Ryan Greene as the visitors saw the game out.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two          

Rasheney FC                       4         

Rasheney Res                     0

As expected this club derby went the way of the first team who started well with Shane Cregan seeing one effort deflected wide and firing another just past the post. On 11 minutes Matthew McLaughlin fed Adam Kirkland  who failed to hit the target from sixteen yards. Rasheney reserves responded  with Michael Toland teeing up Rian Diver  but he fired narrowly wide. Rasheney FC regained control  and Matthew McLaughlin fired over the bar from a good position. Two goals in as many minutes midway through the half set Rasheney’s first team on  their way. On 26 minutes Roger McGilloways attempted clearance cannoned off Adam Kirkland who followed up to slot home. Then David McLaughlin broke into the area and fed Cregan who clinically fired low past McGilloway. Kirkland then added a second  on 40 minutes when he flicked home a Matthew McLaughlin corner at the near post. Rasheney FC made it four nil on 47 minutes after a Declan McLaughlin cross deflected off  a defender and into the net. Rasheney FC dominated the remainder of the game but failed to add to their tally. Cregan had an effort saved before David McLaughlin fired over from twelve yards. Damien Friel then had a long range shot over before the final chance fell to David McLaughlin but he was denied by a good save from substitute Oliver Crouch.

Cockhill Res                        1

Carn Res                               4

In an evenly matched opening period the first good chance of the match fell to Cockhill when John Grant rounded the keeper but the angle was tight and his effort hit the side netting. Carn took the lead midway through the first half from the penalty spot. Dayton Cooke slotting home from the spot giving Cockhill keeper Eoin Colhoun no chance with a well taken penalty.Carn made it two shortly before half time when Dayton Cooke was given too much time to shot from 25 yards, his effort was well saved by Eoin Colhoun but Tieran Coyne reacted quickest to turn the loose ball home. In the second half with Cockhill pushing forward Carn showed good pace on the counter and Dion Diver made it three nil  finding himself unmarked in the box after a good cross in by Matthew Lafferty he made no mistake with his first time effort to put Carn in a strong position.In another counter attack this time down the right, Thomas McWeeney showed a great turn of pace to get in behind the Cockhill defence and finished well low past Eoin Colhoun . Cockhill kept pushing late on and pulled a goal back through Daragh Lyons and missed the opportunity from the spot to reduce the deficit further when Darragh O’Neill saved a Shaun Donaghy penalty before making a fine double save from two rebound attempts from the penalty to deny Cockhill another late consolation.


Aileach Youths                   0         

Carrowmena FC                 2

Carrowmena started well and Ronan Doherty saw an effort saved by Dylan Clarke before Jude Harkin fired narrowly wide from the edge of the area. The home side replied with Stephen O’Donnell finding space and failing to hit the target from the edge of the area. The visitors broke the deadlock on the half hour when Doherty burst into the area and squared for Shane Crumlish to drill the ball home. Five minutes later they added a second Ronan Doherty was upended in the area and he picked himself up to drill high to Clarkes left. Aileach came more into the game in the second half and on 55 minutes Gareth Mclaughlin crossed for Brendan Hegarty but he fired straight at the keeper when well placed. Carrowmena were always dangerous on the break and when Adam Harkin broke clear he was denied by  a fine save from Clarke. Aileach continued to press but found the visitors defence a tough nut to crack . They went close late on but David Walker s effort took a deflection and was superbly tipped over by keeper.

Illies Res                              2         

Sea Rovers                          3

Both defences were on top in a tight opening period with no clear chances. Illies took the lead then on 21 minutes after Ronan Hegarty  pulled the  ball back for Shane Devlin to fire the ball low past Glen Watson from ten yards. Rovers equalised on the half hour mark when a Conor McGeoghaghan free evaded all the defenders  and nestled in the corner of the net. McGeoghaghan then turned well on the edge of the area and fired low past Aaron O Donnell in the home goal on the stroke of half time. Illies began the second period well and levelled on 56 minutes when after good work Nathan McLaughlin was upended in the area allowing Dominic Doherty to drill low to Watsons left. But Rovers, in their first game back in the league, struck for the winner on 73 minutes when great work by Ciaran Doherty on the edge of the area saw him fire a stunning effort to the top corner. Illies tried to salvage a point but the closest they came was when Hegarty’s snapshot failed to hit the target.

Dunree Res                         3                     

Moville Res                         1

Moville created the opening chance but Shaun McGeoghaghan headed just over when well placed. Dunree then scored  against the run of play when Cian Moran broke quickly and linked with his brother Neil to set up before finding Mickey Grant to slot low in to the corner. Dunree upped the tempo and increased their lead when Ryan O’Donnell threaded a pass into Gary Breslin to finish well. Moville hit back  and got a goal back when McGeoghaghan converted a penalty after he had been brought down in the area. But the home side restored their two goal advantage on the stroke of  half time when after great work by Mark Bradley saw his cross slotted home by Breslin. Moville dominated possession in the second half but failed to  create clear chances with the homeside content to protect their lead. Dunree had a late chance  but Breslin failed to convert a header from close range.

Clonmany Youths              3         

Culdaff Res                          1

The home side started in the ascendancy  and on 6 minutes Tiernan McDonald curled a fine effort inches past Callum Doherty’s left hand post. There was little in the way of chances then until the half hour mark when Niall McCarron went close with a good effort. The home side broke the deadlock then when McDonald converted a penalty awarded after John McLaughlin had handled the ball on the line reducing the visitors to ten players in the process. John Porter then had a header parried away by Doherty before Aaron Porter was also denied by a fine save and then saw his follow up cleared off the line. Clonmany had the first chance of the second period on 56 minutes when Christy Harkin scooped over the bar after good interplay between Kyle Devlin and Aaron Porter had created the chance. Culdaff with the ten men rallied and got back on terms against the run of play on the hour mark. Great play by Joe O’Connor on the left took him past two men and his cross was blasted past Killian McCarron by Sean McGrenaghan from six yards. Clonmany upped the tempo and Porter had an effort blocked before McDonald  saw a shot well saved by Doherty. On 69 minutes McDonald was again denied by a  another fine save from Doherty . Culdaff replied and substitute Niall Gordon got to the byline and flashed a cross across the face of goal but there were no takers. Clonmany regained the lead on 83 minutes after McCarron found McDonald who crossed for Aaron Porter to convert at the second attempt after his initial effort was saved by Doherty. Culdaff almost equalised immediately when Mark Doherty advanced from midfield and unleashed a fine  effort which cannoned off the bar and keeper beaten. Clonmany sealed the win in the final minute when the visitors were  caught pressing forward and when keeper Doherty collected the ball midway inside his own half Aaron Porter dispossessed him and ran on to slot home and seal the points.