Match Reports Sunday 20th August

Inishowen Football League Reports  Sunday 20th  August


Clubman Shirts League Cup

Moville Celtic 0

Buncrana Hearts 7

In good conditions at the Bayfield Buncrana got off to a dream start when Jamie McDaid was  fouled in the box and Adam Curran converted the penalty past Stephen Teles.

Movilel responded and in a good move Andrew McCarrons cross was headed  back by Puaric Skelly but Michael McCarron fired over. At the other end Jerry Gills cross from the left found the unmarked Seanie Bradley who failed to hit the target when well placed. Midway through the half the visitors doubled their lead after Christy McKinley squared the ball to Bradley  to slot home. Bradley was unlucky then to see his effort cleared off the line by Rowan Doherty. Buncrana made it three nil on the half hour after Nathan McEneff advanced and unleashed a stunning effort to the top corner. Before the break Bradley pounded on a loose ball inside the area to drill past Teles and leave the visitors in control. Buncrana had the first chance of the second half as well with Curran seeing a shot crash off the post. Moville responded and from Lee McColgans corner Dermot Harkins header flashed across the face of goal and past the far post. Teles then in the home goal saved well to deny McEneff before two goals in as many minutes ended the game as a contest. Firstly a defensive mix up allowed Jamie McDaid to slot home from twelve yards before a long ball caused confusion in the home defence and Aaron McDaid lobbed the stranded Teles. The visitors completed the  scoring when  Jamie McDaid worked hard to win possession and finished well from twelve yards.


Greencastle FC 6

Illies Celtic 1

Greencastle started this game well and took an early lead in the 7th minute when  Brennan Moore skipped past a defender and crossed for James Henry to volley home from seven yards. Shaun Doherty then saw a header cleared off the line by an Illies defender before Odhran Kennedy headed over a Kyle Harkin corner.  Illies equalised in the 15th minute when Paul Doherty sent Ethan Doherty clear and he fired low past Conor Browne from ten yards. A minute later they went close again with Nathan McLaughlin volleying over from the edge of the area. Greencastle replied with both Michael Henry and Shaun Doherty off target before they regained the lead on 33 minutes. After good build up play Moore laid the ball off for Kennedy to slot low past Johnathan Noone from ten yards. They increased their lead before the break after great control from Shaun Doherty   saw him send the ball over the top for Nathan Harkin with a great first touch before slotting past Noone. Illies started the second period well and both Etan and Paul Doherty went close with good efforts. But the home side upped the tempo and James Henry made it four one after controlling a Kyle Harkin free superbly before swivelling and shooting to the top corner. Moore made it five one from the penalty spot after he had been bundled over. The same player completed the scoring when a Conor Gillen effort was blocked and Moore sidestepped Noone to slot home.  Illies final chance saw a Paul Doherty effort saved by Browne.


Clonmany Shamrocks 2

Carn FC 2

The home side began well and on 5 minutes Conor Bradley fed Matthew Brennan who laid the ball off to Alex Mcfadden but his low effort was well saved by Daniel McDaid. Minutes later Jason Devlin latched onto an Aaron Porter pass but again McDaid was equal to the effort.  Carn responded and in their first attack they opened the scoring. Cade Cooke despatched a twenty yards free kick to the top corner  past Killian McCarron.   But Clonmany regained control after this with Paddy Doherty seeing an effort tipped over the bar by McDaid  before Matthew McLaughlin got on the end of Dohertys cross only to see his header come off the post. They deservedly got back on level terms when Devlin controlled well and fed the overlapping Aaron Porter who cut inside and unleashed a screamer to the top corner from twenty yards. Brennan then shot over  and McFadden saw another effort well saved by McDaid on the stroke of half time. Carn started the second half well with McCarron in the home goal tipping a Christy Mc Daid effort around the post. Ross Farren the cut inside from the left and saw his well struck effort again tipped round the post. Clonmany hit back  with Porter shooting straight at McDaid and  Jake Harkin flicking a Brennan free kick just past the post.  Clonmany took the lead in the 83rd minute when Shane McCaul fed substitute Jamie Coyle on the left and he advanced into the area before seeing his shot creep in at the back post despite McDaid getting a hand to it.  Carn threw everything forward at this stage and an inswinging Callum Kelly corner had to be tipped over the bar by McCarron. Then on the stroke of full time the home defence failed to deal with a long ball and Cooke  drilled a low shot from ten yards across McCarron to the bottom corner to  salvage a point.


Charlie O Donnell Memorial Cup

Culdaff FC 5

Clonmany Res 2

Culdaff started this game the better with  Jack McLaughlin firing narrowly wide before Jack O Brien shot over from a tight angle. The home side took the lead in the 15th minute after McLaughlin got in behind the visitors defence and laid the ball off for O Brien to curl a superb effort to the top corner from the edge of the area. The same two players combined to add the second goal with McLaughlins cross from the left bundled home from close range by O Brien. It was all Culdaff at this stage and Eugene Mclaughlin had a header cleared off the line by Ethan Devlin before a Thomas O Brien effort was superbly tipped over by Michael Devlin in the Clonmany goal. Culdaff added a third goal on the half hour mark after O’Brien flicked the ball on for Eugene McLaughlin to fire low to the bottom corner from fifteen yards. With their first attack of the game the visitors got  goal back after a Kyle Devlin free crashed off the bar and Conor Bambrick was on hand to head the ball  home. The home side responded and a brilliant save from Devlin denied Aidan Cunningham from ten yards. Clonmany got off  to the perfect start on the resumption with the unmarked Conor Doherty heading home at the back post past keeper Patrick McLaughlin. Culdaff responded and made it four two after great work on the left by O Brien and McLaughlin saw the latters cross sidefooted past Devlin from six yards by Eugene McLaughlin  .  There was a lull in the action then until a long ball from Jamie McLaughlin found brother  Jack whose attempted  lob goes narrowly wide. Culdaff made it five two when Jack O Brien dispossessed a defender and finished clinically past replacement keeper Bambrick.


Dunree United 2

There were few chances in a very close tight first  half. Dunree were first to threaten midway through the half when a Liam Baldrick shot crashed back off the post. The home side took the lead on the stroke of half time after  Stephen Slattery fed Seamus McFadden who scored with a low shot from a tight angle past Adam Harrigan. The second half was a similar pattern with defences on top and a lot of the play in the midfield areas. Dunree equalised  in the 85th minute when Baldrick threaded a ball through to Adam Barrett who finished low to the  corner. With the game looking like a draw the visitors struck for the winner when Ryan Toland unleashed a powerful thirty  yards free kick to the top corner to seal the points.


Redcastle United 4

Cockhill Youths 1

Cockhill were first to threaten in the 15th minute when a Ryan McDaid free kick from the edge of the area was well saved by Michael McCole in the home goal. Redcastle responded with Marc Bell feeding Stephen Grant who advanced  but fired narrowly wide from twenty yards.Midway through the half the home side broke the deadlock when a Cahir McLaughlin free from the left found Lee Barr who drilled low past Eoin Colhoun to the  bottom corner. The home side went close again with Bell finding Grant again and this time his effort was well saved by Colhoun. Redcastle were dominant at this stage and Grant made ground on the right before squaring to Bell who fired just over from the edge of the area. Cockhill then came more into the game before the break when a Liam Bradley cross fell to Paul Duffy who shot just wide. They got back on terms on the stroke of half time after McDaid s through ball found Conor Graham to shoot low past  McCole to the bottom corner. Redcastle regained the lead minutes after the restart when Grant broke on the right and crossed for Darragh McConway to head past Colhoun. Two minutes later they made it three one after a long ball from Lee Barr released McConway to drill low to the bottom corner. Cockhill replied and from a Shane McLaughlin corner  Ryan McDaid s effort s tipped over by McCole. Midway through the half Redcastle were awarded a free kick on the edge of the area and Cahir McLauglins effort was turned round the post by Colhoun.  Cockhill still pressed with Marc Doherty bringing another save from McCole in the home goal before Graham was also off target with an effort. Redcastle ended the game on the front foot with Grant seeing an effort cleared off the line before they added a fourth goal in injury time. Alan Clarke began the move releasing Jack McConalogue who lifted the ball over the defence for Ronan Hoy to finish low past Colhoun.


Aileach Res 4

Greencastle Youths 1

An experienced Aileach side started this game very week and took the lead in the 7th minute after a Dermot Doherty cross picked out Caoimhin McFeely to shoot to the roof of the net from twenty yards past Dean Mason. Good work then midway through the half by Gareth McElroy set up Stephen Doherty to slot home from ten yards. They made it three nil in the 37th minute when Dermot Dohertys corner was headed back across by Ryan Long for Stephen Doherty to convert from close range. Greencastle came more into the game before the break with Jamie Mc Geoghaghan and Evan Davenport shooting narrowly wide. The visitors had the better of the second half with Cian Sharkey denied by a good save from Dylan Porter before Davenport beat the offside trap but shot wide.  But Aileach were more clinical and on 85 minutes after good work from Dermot Doherty found Gareth McGlynn who scored the home sides fourth from a tight angle. Greencastle got a goal back after Porter parried a Davenport effort allowing Jamie Coyle to  pounce and drill home. They had the final chance as well but Davenport blazed a penalty over the bar after he had been fouled.