Match Reports Sunday 19th September

Inishowen Football League Fixtures  2021-22

Sunday  19th September 

Jackie Crossan Premier Division   

Glengad United 0

Aileach FC 1

Glengad had the better of the opening quarter and on 13 minutes a Conor Barrow corner found John G McLaughlin but his effort was cleared off the line by a defender. Then on 20 minutes Michael Byrne and Terence Doherty combined to set up Barrow whose effort from the edge of the area was saved by Darragh McLaughlin.

Aileach came into the game then and when Aaron Nash laid the ball off to Paddy Slevin he fired narrowly wide.  Slevin then broke from midfield and fed Darren McMonagle on the edge of the area who swivelled and fired in a low effort which Daniel Mullarkey saved. The best chance of the half came for the home side before the break after a Stephen Harley corner found the unmarked John G McLaughlin but he headed over from eight yards. Aileach started the second half well with Mullarkey in the home goal saving well from a long range McMonagle effort. Aileach were awarded a contested penalty for handball on the hour mark and McMonagle fired low  to Mullarkeys left . Glengad pushed hard then but were restricted to long range efforts with a Cathal McDaid shot saved by McLaughlin. Aileach were dangerous on the break and on one occasion McMonagle broke through but fired wide. Glengad pressed the visitors back but struggled to create and the closest they came was a Matthew Byrne cross which found Terence Doherty but he fired over.

Moville Celtic 1

Cockhill Youth 4

Cockhill threatened in the opening minutes with an Adam McLaughlin free kick which home keeper Seamus Houghton dealt with while at the other end Cockhill minder Daniel Houghton had no problem with Ryan McColgan’s tame effort. In the 8th minute the visitors took the lead when Adam Duffy bundled the ball home after Houghton failed to hold Michael Noone’s low header on from David Laird’s free kick. Two minutes later Cockhill went two up after Odhran O’Brien Daly powered in a header from Adam McLaughlin’s corner. Midway through the half Jack McConnellogue struck the base of the visitors post after receiving Michael McNaught’s cross while minutes later McNaught headed over when well placed. Cockhill had further chances through McLaughlin and Duffy but failed to capitalise and a McNaught deflected cross for Moville was headed off the line by a Cockhill defender. Moville had further chances in the 35th and 40th minutes with Josh McConnellogue’s near post shot from a corner and a brilliant fingertip save from Daniel Houghton down to his right from Padhraic Skelly.

Early in the second half Jack McDaid threatened the home goal after a powerful run into the area while McNaught and McConnellogue combined to force Houghton into a save. Moville pulled a goal back in the 51st minute when Jack McConnellogue steered in a header from 10 yards from Oisin McElhinney’s cross from the left. Adam Duffy blasted over O’Brien Daly’s back post header but made amends in the 56th minute firing low past Houghton from an angle after Moville failed to clear. Cockhill substitutes Sean McCallion and Adam McColgan had further chances in the last 10 minutes while Ryan McColgan spurned a great chance to reduce arrears when he fired over from six yards after sub Pearse Doherty had crossed. Adam McLaughlin drew a great save from substitute Moville keeper Ryan Coyle after his surging run from his own half but the same player wrapped things up deep into added on time with a fine 20 yard hit into the Moville goal.

Carn FC 3

Clonmany Shamrocks 4

In an entertaining game  the home side took an early lead after Cade Cooke slipped the ball through for Christy McDaid to run onto and slip low to the net.Clonmany replied and Gavin McLaughlin in the home goal made a superb save to deny Oisin Hession. The shamrocks did equalise on 16 minutes when Andrew Doherty rose highest to head home from a corner kick. But Carn regained the lead midway through the half after McDaid converted a penalty following a foul inside the area. A brilliant ball over the top on the stroke of half time by Hession found Jake Harkin and he slotted low to the corner to make it two apiece at the break. Once again the home side took the lead on 53 minutes after Dayton Cooke despatched a superb shot to the bottom corner from twenty yards.  Clonmany hit back and looked destined to level matters when Harkin rounded the advancing keeper and fired towards the goal but Dayton Cooke appeared from nowhere to clear the danger. An unfortunate own goal by a home defender saw the teams level again with twenty minutes remaining.Then Harkin broke clear of the home defence and rounded the advancing McLaughlin but somehow steered the ball wide of the open goal. Clonmany suffered a blow on 87 minutes after Lee Coyle was redcarded for a second caution but McDaid fired the resultant free wide. In the final minute Harkin was upended in the area and Hession stepped up to drill the ball into the bottom right hand corner and snatch all three points. 

Buncrana Hearts 1

Greencastle  FC 3

The visitors were superb in the opening half and full value for their two nil interval lead. Nigel McMonagle had an early snap shot well saved by  Eoghan O’Doherty in the Herats goal. Buncrana replied and Ryan Doherty saw his header cleared off the line following a corner.  Greencastle upped the tempo then with McMonagle finding Kyle Harkin who rattled the crossbar with a fine effort. They took the lead on 32 minutes  after McMonagle beat the offside trap and from an acute angle finished superbly past O’Doherty. Gavin Harkin then saw his effort deflect off a defender and onto the crossbar  before Michael Barr despatched a twenty yard free kick to the bottom corner to double their lead on 42 minutes. Buncrana had a late chance from another corner when Shane Dillon headed just over. Greencastle continued on top and made it three nil on 52 minutes when they broke quickly and McMonagle found Jack  Coyle to fire past O’Doherty. Buncrana tried to respond and when Ryan Doherty headed on for Mikey Friel his effort was saved by Patrick Quigley. Another Ryan Doherty cross found Kieran McDaid but his first time effort sailed over. The Hearts then got a consolation when a Kevin O Loughlin looping header was caught by Quigley  but he was deemed to have carried the ball over the line.

Strand Hotel Division One   

Dunree United 1

Aileach Res   2

This game burst into life on 20 minutes after Cathal McElhinney fed Anthony Doherty who spread the ball out right to Paddy Curran whose cross came off the post for Doherty to slot home. Doherty had another chance after this but blazed over from twelve yards. Dunree responded and long range Jamie Brosnan and Liam Baldrick efforts were well gathered by  Sean McGuinness. The home side equalised on 39 minutes after Brosnan curled a superb thirty yards free into the top corner. Before the break the home side went close again with Evan Barry bursting into the area but saw his cross cum shot just miss the far post. The second half was a very even contest with defences generally on top. But midway through the half Doherty ran onto a through ball and finished low to the corner to give Aileach the lead. Dunree had a late chance to salvage a point after Eoin Coombes pulled the ball back from the byline but good work by McGuinness ensured the ball evaded all the attackers as Aielach took all three points.


Glengad Res   2

Glengad opened the scoring on 6 minutes after Patrick McDermott capitalized on  a defensive error and superbly lobbed Oisin Burke from twenty five yards. But the point equalized four minutes later after Darragh McDermott fed Eoin Rafferty who cut inside and fired low past Michael McLaughlin from the edge of the area. McLaughlin then  saved well from John McCloskey before at the other end Gary Kelly failed to hit the target when well placed. The best move of the half came from the home side when David Healy and McDermott combined to release Rafferty who fired narrowly wide. The point took the lead on 24 minutes after McCloskey crossed to the back post for McDermott who headed back across goal and in off the far post. But Glengad got back on terms on 63 minutes when Kelly latched onto a ball over the top and fired low past the advancing Burke. The home side regained the lead minutes later after substitute Aaron Scott fed McDermott inside the area and he fired low to the corner from ten yards. John McCloskey then unleashed a powerful strike which McLaughlin turned round the post at full stretch. The point then increased their lead when McDermotts cross was swept home by Michael Nicholas from eight yards. The point were rampant at this stage and McDermott saw one effort crash off the bar before he blasted wide from the penalty spot and Nicholas was denied by the legs of McLaughlin. They completed the scoring on 86 minutes when a David Healy cross found Nicholas and he fired past McLaughlin. Glengad had the final chance of the game but Burke dived full length to tip Patrick McDermotts effort round the post.

Culdaff FC 4

Redcastle United  3

Redcastle had much the better of the opening period but failed to take their early chances. Ronan Hoy rounded home keeper Puaric O Donnell in the 10th minute and pulled the ball back for Darragh McConway  but his effort was cleared off the line by Peter Doherty. Hoy then found himself in acres of space but fired weakly at O Donnell before the same player had another effort well tipped over by the home custodian. Culdaff settled and on 25 minutes Dillon Ruddy’s attempted chip drifted just wide. Redcastle were out of luck then when a Cathal Crumlish shot came back off the crossbar with the home defence completing the clearance. Culdaff then took the lead somewhat against the run of play when Aiden Cunningham was upended in the area and he picked himself up to blast the ball down the middle and give the home side the lead. This seemed to spur the home side on and they doubled their lead before the break when Cunningham broke on the right and his cross was met by Bryan McCandless with a superb  sidefoot volley to the net. Culdaff increased their lead ten minutes after the break when a Eugene McLaughlin effort was well parried by Michael McCole but Cunningham pounced on the rebound to slot home. Midway through the half they added a fourth when Dillon Ruddy outjumped  a defender at the ear post to head home Conor Doherty’s cross. On 71minutes Redcastle got a goal back after a flowing move ended with Hoy finishing well past O’Donnell. They further reduced the deficit on 83 minutes after McConway converted Alan Clarke s cross at the near post. The home side were ragged at this stage and the visits made it four three when Stephen Grant teed up Hoy to slot home his second of the game. But the home side held on to claim the points.

Gleneely Colts 3

Greencastle Youth  1

Played in glorious conditions, Greencastle were first to settle, playing the ball around with confidence. Gleneely were first to show on minutes when a ball by Paul Gamble released Corey O’Brien down the right wing and he advanced into the area but slid the ball past the left hand post. Five minutes later the home defence failed to clear which resulted in ping pong in the box and the ball eventually went wide. At the other end  a Corey O’Brien cross from the right, found Billy McCann in the penalty area and he tried the spectacular overhead kick but failed to trouble the Greencastle keeper. Midway through the half Greencastle took the lead when a lovely diagonal ball from Josh Lafferty found Seamy McLaughlin on the right, he controlled it and lobbed the ball over Ciaran Gallagher in the home goal. Gleneely equalized on 36minutes when a long ball out of defence from Jordon O’Brien found Ben Miller, he advanced into the area to slot low to the right from 15 yards. Gleneely went 2-1 ahead when a poor pass from Josh Lafferty across his own box was seized upon by Paul Gamble and he lashed home to the keepers rights from 10 yards just before the break. The second half began with Greencastle controlling and passing confidently but not creating any clear cut chances. On 70minutes, Paul Gambles pass across the 18 yard box found Ben Miller but his well struck shot hit the base of the post and away to safety. On 82minutes, Gleneely made it three one after  Paul Gamble released Darragh O’Connor down the left wing, he advanced into the box to shoot low to the keepers right. Greencastle kept plugging away and forced numerous corners but the Gleneely defence held firm for the points

Inishowen Engineering Division Two   

Sea Rovers       1

Carrowmena FC 1

The first chance of the game did not arrive until the 21st minute and it fell to Rovers. After good work by Andrew Gallagher his cross found Conor McGeoghaghan but Michael Noone in the visitors goal pulled off a good save. McGeoghaghan then found space to advance from midfield and unleash a goalbound effort but again Noone was equal to it. Carrowmena replied on 38 minutes with Michael Henry  creating space on the edge of the area but firing narrowly past the post. The final chance of the half fell to Rovers but McGeoghaghan’s effort sailed over the bar. On 55 minutes a good through ball from Rovers Declan Mc Gonagle found Connor McGeoghaghan whose shot came of the post. Carrowmena forward Gérard Mc Laughlin  then got onto a long pass from his keeper only to see his shot go over the bar. Rovers keeper Ben Collins came of injured after 18 minutes and was replaced with Mark Mc Laughlin before  Keelan Doherty went on a fine run down the left wing and cut in beat the keeper and set up Declan Mc Gonagle to tap in from the six yards to give the home side the lead.  Carrowmena had there chances and a good pass from Ryan Mc Dermot set up Ronan Doherty whose shot was well saved by Mark Mc Laughlin. Rovers had a number of close efforts from Declan Mc Gonagle and Daniel Gallagher who was unlucky to see his  shot come of the bar. Carrowmena broke from the midfield area with a fine pass from Ronan Doherty set up Michael Henry who beat the defence and shot low into the left corner to bring his side even. Rovers keeper Mark Mc Laughlin pulled of a few fine saves one of them coming from Adam Harkin in the closing stages to ensure a share of the spoils.

Moville Res 2

Carn Res 4

The visitors started much the better with Conor McLaughlin denied by a good save from Stephen Teles on 5 minutes. The same player gave Carn the lead minutes later after he cut in from the right and drilled a low shot to the bottom corner. Teles then saved well from  both Conor & Aaron McLaughlin to keep the home side in it. Moville then equalised on 19 minutes when Conor Lafferty converted a penalty awarded for handball. But Carn regained the lead on 33 minutes after Aaron McLaughlin played a one two with namesake Conor on the edge of the area before firing low to the corner.Moville went close on the stroke of half time but Danny Murphy’s effort just cleared the bar. Moville started the second half well with Murphy (twice) and Lafferty failing to hit the target when well placed. On the hour mark they got back on terms when the Carn defence failed to clear a corner allowing Graeme Doherty to poke the ball home. Carn regained the lead in similar fashion at the other end with Denim McLaughlin applying the finishing touch in a crowded area. With Moville pressing the visitors sealed the points on 90 minutes after Jamie Diver ran through to round Ryan Coyle and see his effort from a tight angle deflect off a defender to the net.

Culdaff Res 0

Rasheney Res 0

Culdaff started the better with Reece McDaid dragging an effort wide on 7 minutes before a Jason McLaughlin piledriver skimmed the outside of the post. The visitors replied and Tiernan Devine had a shot well saved by Patrick McLaughlin . Culdaff came close to breaking the deadlock midway through the half when Ben Curley released McDaid whose effort crashed off the bar. At the other end a long range Joey Holland effort was again well saved by McLaughlin. Culdaff finished the half strongly with a volley from Curley  crashing off the bar before Dean Doherty was denied from close range by Roger McGilloway. The second half was a much tighter affair with defences on top and neither side creating a goalscoring opportunity. The visitors came closest to nicking the three points when a Ronan McConalogue effort  clipped the crossbar.

Clonmany  Youth 3

Cockhill Res 3

Clonmany started the game well and after a Michael Devlin corner was only half cleared Ethan Devlins ‘ effort was well tipped over by Eoin Colhoun.The home side took the lead on 9 minutes after Johnathan McDaid and Callum Doherty combined to release Michael Devlin and he calmly slid the ball low past Colhoun. But Cockhill levelled on 28 minutes after Martin Breslin burst up the right and crossed for James McGonagle to blast home from six yards. McGonagle was then denied by a fine save from Killian McCarron in the home goal. Before the break the visitors went ahead after Kevin McDaid got in behind the home defence and crossed for McGonagle to tap home. In a brisk opening to the second half Cockhills McDaid fired wide while Clonmanys Michael Devlin had a header crash off the bar before seeing a hooked over the shoulder effort scrambled behind by Colhoun. Cockhill replied with Kieran McElroy s effort saved by McCarron before his cross was slotted home by Mark Gillespie to make it three one to the visitors.But Clonmany reduced the deficit immediately after substitute Pearse McCarron evaded two defenders and drilled a low shot to the far corner. Tiernan McDonald then fired wide when well placed before Brian Doherty headed over from a  corner as Clonmany pressed for an equaliser. Cockhill then had a spell with McCarron in the home goal denying Gillespie and McElroy on two occasions. In the final minute substitute Brendan Devlin converted  a penalty after he had been fouled to earn his side a point.

Dunree Res 3

Aileach Youth 4

In an entertaining game Aileach took the lead on 20 minutes after Kevin Wallace unleashed a twenty five yards effort to the top corner past Philip Doherty. A defensive mix up five minutes later allowed Ethan O Toole  to slot home from close range. Dunree spurned a gilt edged opportunity when they missed a penalty before a Tiernan Moran cross found Mark Craig to head home from six yards and reduce the deficit. But Aileach restored their two goal cushion before the interval when Benny Hegarty released  Dillon McGrory and he calmly slotted past Doherty. Dunree upped the tempo on the restart and on the hour mark got a goal back after good work by Michael Grant set up a chance for Gary Breslin who finished well. Dunree then equalised on 72minutes with Moran finding substitute Tommy Doherty and he fired to the net from twelve yards. The home side went close again on 81 minutes with Kyle Doherty’s thirty  yards strike drifting just wide. Aileach stunned the home side late on when a swift counter attack ended with Hegarty racing clear of the home defence and firing low past Doherty to claim the points.

Illies Res 1

Buncrana Res 5

Buncrana took the lead in this clash on 11 minutes when Michael Doherty slipped the ball into the path of Eoin McNamee to slot low past Graham Doherty from twelve yards. Illies replied and when Shane Devlin found Ronan Hegarty his effort was saved by Oran McBride. Midway through the half the visitors doubled their lead after McNamee’s deep cross from the left was headed to the bottom corner by Stephen McHugh.Illies pressed before the break and an Ethan McLaughlin goal bound effort was deflected inches wide. Illies had another chance after the break when a Gavin Doherty free was brilliantly tipped over by McBride. Buncrana upped the tempo then and increased their lead when Craig Doherty s cross was headed home by Donald O Doherty. Defensive errors in the home defence allowed Jordan McLaughlin and Gerard Boyle both to add on goals and make it five nil. Illies battled on and got a goal back on 74 minutes after Dominic Doherty set up Martin Coyle to fire high to the net from sixteen yards but it turned out to be a mere consolation.