Match Reports Sunday 19th November

Jackie Crossan Premier Division

Cockhill Celtic        7

Glengad Utd            0


Cockhill started the game in top and opened the scoring on 7 mins when, after a succession of corners, a clearance fell to Lee McColgan who controlled and lobbed to the net from the left of the D.

A good interchange in midfield released Garbhan Friel minutes later but he dragged his shot wide. Glengad had their first chance on 15 mins when a free kick was half cleared to John Gerard McLaughlin but his snapshot lacked power and was comfortably saved by Harry Doherty. At the other end, Adam McLaughlin’s corner found Friel and his flicked header forced a good reaction save from Zach Conlon. Cockhill doubled their lead when a Lee McColgan free kick from the right was flicked onto the bar. Luke Rudden reacted quickest to head home from close range.

Glengad responded and Harry Doherty had to be alert to gather Terence Doherty’s shot from the corner of the box just before half time. Two quickfire goals at the start of the second half settled the contest. Adam McLaughlin’s cross cross from the right found Rudden. When his header was parried by Conlon, Jack Mullan pounced to fired home. From the restart Cockhill regained possession and when Adam McLaughlin was released down the right his teasing cross was emphatically headed high to the net by Rudden. Rudden almost got his hat trick when he nipped in front of a hesitant Glengad defence but Conlon produced a great reflex save but he wasn’t to be denied and a close range finish gave him the match ball. Cockhill weren’t finished and added another two goals late on. Firstly Friel diverted home a driven free kick before Corey McBride wrapped things up on the stroke of full time with a low effort from just outside the box.

Carn FC                     3

Moville Celtic            0


In what was a fairly tight first half, Carn got an early goal. Kyran Cantwell turned and shot but the Moville keeper was unable to hold on and Cade Cooke was the quickest to react and shot to the roof of the net. After

25 minutes Cian Burke raced through only for his touch letting him down at the end. After 30 minutes a low cross from Liam McWeeney caused panic in the visiting defence but they somehow managed to clear it. Then a great delivery from a Cade Cooke free somehow eluded everyone and went out for a goal kick. Second half followed a similar pattern with play being very even. Carn got a second goal following good build up play which ended with Cooke toe poking the ball into the bottom corner of the net. Moville thought they’d got themselves back in the game when they where awarded a penalty in the 60th minute – but Norbert Indyka unfortunately dragged his spot kick wide.  Carn sealed the points when a Cooke corner was headed home by Conor McLaughlin.

Cade Cooke and Conor Mc Laughlin with Carn’s goals today


Buncrana Hearts         5

Aileach FC                   2

The visitors started brightly and on 4 minutes Darren Bradley got in behind the home defence but Taylor Clarke was quick of his line to block his shot. On 12 minutes Aileach did go in front – Tommy McMonagle rising unchallenged to head home McGilloway`s free kick. The Hearts got back on level terms on 35 minutes when Aileach keeper Dylan Porter did not deal with a Gallagher long ball and Christy McKinley pounced to tap into empty net. Three minutes later and the home side took the lead when Calvin Gallagher spotted Porter off his line and from just inside his own half lobbed a spectacular ball just under the crossbar with Porter beaten all ends up. On the stroke of half-time the visitors were awarded a penalty with the referee deeming Curran`s tackle a foul, Gavin Doherty stepped up and slotted past Clarke to leave the teams level at the break.

Three minutes into the second half Gallagher`s cross to the back post was superbly headed home by sub Sean Mullan. The home side were well on top now and on 65 minutes they were awarded a penalty for hand ball and Calvin Gallagher cooly slotted past Porter to give the home side a two goal cushion. They should have wrapped things up on 89 minutes when Jamie McDaid broke clear but Porter made an excelleny save with his legs. In the next atack Kieran McDaid ghosted past two defenders and picked out Jamie McDaid with a superb cross which he finished emphatically and wrap up the points.

Illies Celtic                             0

Clonmany Shamrocks          7

Clonmany dominated throughout and deservedly emerged with all 3 points. They went into the lead early on when Jamie Coyle’s cross was steered home by Jason Devlin. That lead was doubled following a 25 yard strike from Shane McCaul. Then Coyle cut the ball back to close to the penalty spot for Connor Doherty to drive home through a crowd of players. Just before half time, Devlin got his second when he set up by Coyle to find the net and score the visitors fourth. Soon after the break the score was moved on to 5 – 0 when Coyle was able to steer home past Noone in the Illies goal. Just past the hour mark Devlin was played through the home defence and he claimed his hat trick. The scoring was complete when Alex McFadden set up Matthew McLaughlin and he shot high into the net. 

Jason Devlin with a hat trick for Clonmany today

Clonmany took the lead on four minutes when a long Kieran Friel kick out found Shane McCaul who crossed for Jason Devlin to tap home. McCaul scored the second when he received the ball and ran fifteen yards and shot from 28 yards to the roof of the net. Clonmany scored the third on forty two minutes when Jamie Coyle laid the ball into the path of Connor Doherty and he shot low to the net. On the stroke of half time, the visitors scored again when Matthew Brennan crossed for Devlin to sidefoot the ball into the net for a 4 – 0 lead. A Liam Doherty free kick was headed off the line by Jake Harkin shortly after the restart. Clonmany scored again on 54 minutes when Aaron Porter played a through ball into the path of Jamie coyle and he finished low past Johnny Noone. For Illies Deaglan Bown had a shot saved by Friel. Then a mistake in Illies defence let Jason Devlin in to complete his hatrick. With minutes remaining, Clonmany scored again through substitute Matthew Mc Laughlin after a scramble in the box. Illies then missed two good chances to get a consolation with Oran Doherty and Shaun McCallion missing the target late on.

Strand Hotel First Division  

Rasheney FC                          2

Buncrana Res                         1

The visitors had the first chance of note when the inrushing Eoin McNamee just failed to connect with a free delivered into the box. Rasheney responded and Shane Cregan shot wide when the ball was headed out to him following a Ryan Doherty corner. On the quarter hour mark, the home side moved into the lead when Abdul Alrasheed got on the end of a Damien Friel free and headed to the net. Alrasheed could have doubled his tally but he headed off target when well placed after connecting with a David McLaughlin cross. Just before the interval both sides had an opportunity to score following corners but Adam Doherty for Buncrana shot narrowly wide while Anthony Doherty shot over the bar for Rasheney. Into the second half and following a mistake in the home defence, Buncrana had a chance to equalise after 55 mins but Andrew Davision saw his effort go wide. Minutes later Rasheney moved 2 – 0 ahead – the goal coming from Friel following a cross from Cormac Dillon. The visitors pushed hard to get back into the match. A 30 yard shot from Aaron Cleary brought a good save from Gavin McLaughlin in the home nets while another Buncrana attempt came off the Rasheney crossbar. With  10 minutes remaining, they did get back into the game when McNamee pulled one back after a corner but although they pressed hard they were unable to fashion an equaliser. 


Inishowen Engineering Division 2

Carrowmena FC           5

Aileach Youths              6

Aileach’s first of many in a goalfest was scored as early as the 8th min – when the ball was played out to the left hand side to Andrew Walker. He whipped a delightful ball to the far side of the goal 6yd box, and the in rushing Ciaran Bradley drove ball home from 10 yds. In the 12th minute, the home side made it 1-1 when the ball was played to Adam Harkin, and he drilled it down the left side into the path of Cathal Crumlish. He turned his marker and slotted the ball past Joshua Doherty in the visitors goal. Carrowmena then took the lead on 18mins. The ball was played from right to left with Ryan McLaughlin poking it to Ronan Doherty and he drilled to the net from 20 yds past Doherty for 2-1. 3 mins later the sides were level again. Aileach played a cross ball into the path of Paul Eyre – he skipped past his marker and lobbed a delightful ball over Noone and into the top corner. 

Two further goals by Cathal Crumlish on 28 and 42 mins had the home side taking a 4-2 lead at half time. The

second half proved to be Aileach’s in the end, despite going further behind on the hour. Good work down the right by Naill Curran allowed him to set up Brain Houghton and he increased the home side’s lead to 5-2. 

The next 10 mins proved costly for home side and credit to Aileach’s never say die attitude- the visitors got themselves 3 goals without reply via Aaron Doherty (61), Ciaran Doherty (65), an own goal by the home side on 75mins – leaving a now nail biting score of 5-5. But the momentum was with Aileach and they snatched the all important decisive goal 8mins from time – and it was that young lad -Paul Eyre breaking the hearts of Carrowmena – to clinch the winner.

Gleneely Colts              4

QPS Youths                  0

Gleneely had the first chance on 15 mins when Shane Diver played in Emmett O’Brien but he shot straight at the QPS keeper. 5 mins later Billy McCann headed straight at the QPS keeper when well placed following a Ryan Tabbitt cross. QPS had a chance on 37mins when Joe Johnston hit the bar from a few yards and Shay Harkin cleared from the goal line. Gleneely opened the scoring 5mins before half time when Manus Doherty picked up the ball centrally, drove to the edge of the box and unleashed a powerful drive to the top corner, giving the QPS keeper no chance. Gleneely went 2 up on the hour mark when a Billy McCann corner caused all sorts of confusion in the box, resulting in Nathan Doherty slamming home from 5 yards. 2 mins later, they went 3 up, when another McCann corner was played to the edge of the box for Manus Doherty to blast home again from 25 yards to the top corner. Gleneely finished the scoring in the 75minute, when great integrated passing from the back resulted in Shane Diver getting clear of the QPS defence, rounding the keeper and slotting into the empty net. To their credit QPS battled manfully until the end without creating any clearcut chances.

Cockhill Colts                   7

Rasheney Rovers              1

Cockhill Celtic Colts had a comfortable victory over a gallant Rashenny Rovers at Celtic Park on Sunday morning. They opened the scoring on 2mins when Joe Doherty’s corner from the right was headed home by Seamus Gill. They doubled their lead on 8mins. Kieran McLaughlin’s cross from the right was converted at the back post by Karl Kelly’s fine half volley. Rashenny kept plugging away and went close minutes later when Shaun Donaghey had to be on his toes to thwart Leo McGlinchey before Shea Geant fired over. Joe Doherty then went close for Cockhill but his lob was well saved by Roger McGilloway. It was 3-0 on 23mins when Liam McCarron released Karl Kelly whose early cross found Joe Doherty who fired home from 10yds

Rashenny responded and when McGlinchey sprung the offside trap, Declan Caldwell was quickly off his line to clear. It was almost four just before half time when good interplay released right back Marty Breslin who cut inside but dragged his shot wide. Cockhill got their fourth on 56mins. A short corner from Joe Doherty found Karl Kelly. His cross was nodded home by Kieran McLaughlin from 8yds. They increased their lead on 70mins. Joe Doherty dinked a free kick from the left. The ball broke to Paul McKinney who fired home. On 78mins Rashenny pulled a goal back when Keelan Doherty volleyed home from just inside the box after a free kick from the left was only half cleared. Cockhill responded immediately with Kevin McDaid firing home from the edge of the D after a McKinney layoff before McDaid returned the favour when his pinpoint corner found McKinney who guided home after another incisive Gavin Doherty run down the left. They went closer to added more goals with Liam O’Donnell driving his team forward but Martin Donaghey headed narrowly wide from a Mark Gillespie cross before Gavin Doherty was denied the goal his performance deserved when his volley was brilliantly tipped over by McGilloway late on.

Ulster Junior Shield

Greencastle Youths           3

Moville Res                        2

In the local derby at Chapel Lane it was Greencastle who started the better controlling the ball and finding space down the wings. Greencastle took a deserved lead when Seamy McLaughlin slid the ball through for Conor Gillen who finished well past Ryan Coyle in nets for Moville. Moville kept working hard and against the run of play, equalised. Andrew Burke capitalized on a defensive error and finished well into the corner of the net. In the 35th  minute Kyle Harkin scored a goal that definitely qualifies as World class. The ball sat lovely for him 30 yards out. Kyle caught it on the half volley and drove it into the top corner off the underside of the crossbar. Five minutes before half time Conor Gillen got his 2nd when he dinked the ball over the oncoming Coyle in the Moville nets. Greencastle started off well in the 2nd half with Christy Hegerty and Conor Gillen having a few half chances but Moville defended well with a few good saves from Coyle in nets. Moville started to grow into the game as the second half grew on and started getting a few half chances. Moville got their 2nd goal when a free kick into the box found Evan Hunter free and he guided the ball past Davenport in nets. Moville continued to put on pressure through multiple set pieces but stout defending from Greencastle kept them out and the home side held on for the win. 


Dunree Res                  0

Carn Res                      5


Carn enjoyed the upper hand throughout and emerged deserving winners. In the early stages they came close with Dayton Cooke heading over and Shane McGuinness shooting off target. Home keeper Philip Doherty saw plenty of action and he made an excellent save from a close in Cooke attempt but in the followup passage of play the ball was touched home at the back post by Mark Scott. Then Dunree’s Kevin Doherty headed clear under pressure to avert the danger following a Carn corner. Scott scored his second when he reacted quickest to a Doherty save to scramble to the net and he got his hat trick when he drove to the top corner from 20 yards. And he could have scored again but he blasted wide when well placed. At the other end the Carn keeper made a good save from an effort by Patrick Doherty from outside the box. A fantastic double save from point blank range by Philip Doherty prevented Carn from extending their lead but it was not long before Scott scored his fourth with a volley from 12 yards. Just before half time Cooke set up Cormac McLaughlin and he slotted home for a fifth goal. After all the action of the first half, things were not as frantic after the interval and although there were a few good chances falling to both sides there was no further scoring. 


Rasheney Res               3

Glengad  Res                1


Conditions were horrendous from kick off with players from both sides having to contend with with a stiff breeze and constant driving rain throughout the entire game which was played under lights on Friday night in Trawbreaga Park. The first chance of note fell to the home team’s Liam Grant but in a one on one situation it was Glengad keeper Oran Raymond who prevailed. Rasheney opened the scoring minutes later. Caylum Long managed to evade the tackles of a few defenders but he was fouled just inside the box and he scored with the resultant penalty. Mid way through the half the home team doubled its advantage. Long picked up the ball inside the Glengad half, ran through and planted the ball low into the far corner from just inside the penalty area. 

Another Grant shot from close to the penalty spot was fired wide while just before the interval Raymond done well to tip a Callum Crumlish over the bar. Early in the second half Glengad’s Conor McGonagle got close to the bye line and got away his shot on goal but Sam Coyle gathered at the near post. The visitors got themselves back into the game on the hour mark. With the windy conditions still dictating play, a corner on the left was wisely delivered low into the goalmouth and amidst a crowd of defenders and forwards Paul McGonagle was able to swivel just outside the 6 yard box and hook the ball high into the net. At the other end Rasheney substitute Diarmait Keogh brought a good save from the keeper before the scoring was complete with 20 mins remaining. Long completed his hat trick when his diagonal shot from just inside the angle of the area found the left hand corner of the net.  


Aileach Res               4

Redcastle Utd            2


Aileach hit the front early on when Keith Mc Colgan whipped in a dangerous free kick for Stephen Doherty to tap in from 6 yards. Mid way through the half Alan Clarke for Redcastle cut into the box and had a great effort pushed onto the post by David Mc Geady. However, the keeper was beaten by a low finish from Darragh McConway after he was released by Gavin Grant. Close to half time, Stephen O’Donnell swung in a great cross for Doherty to tap in from 5 yards and restore Aileach’s lead. The visitors made it 2 – 2 on 70 minutes with McConway converting a penalty. However, Ailaech edged ahead on the scoresheet again with 10 minutes to go when Josh Boyle’s great strike from the edge of box, which hit the post, fell to James Wallace and he was on hand to slot home. With the match nearing its end, each side was reduced to ten men when two players – one from each side – got their marching orders. The final action of the game saw Boyle break clear in an Aileach 

counter attack and he squared to Doherty who slotted it home from 15 yards for his hatrick. 


Culdaff Res               (walk over)  

Milford Res            


Cockhill Youths           (walk over)

Donegal Town                        


Dunree Utd                                             2

Letterkenny Rovers Res                        1

Dunree got off to a great start. Adam Whorskey drove through the middle of the pitch and played  Gerry Farrell in on goal and he made no mistake from 18yards on 8mins. Rovers had alot of possession but Dunree were always dangerous on the break. Their lead was doubled on the stroke of half time. Adam Barrett outpaced the  visiting defence and squared for Farrell to slide home from 6 yards. Rovers started the second half on top and
their pressure told on 55mins when they were awarded a pen but Harrigan made up for his error and saved the pen low to his right. However, the pressure told on 60 min. Jason Doherty rose highest to head home from a corner. Dunree were unlucky on 70mins when Barrett unleashed a shot from edge of box but the Mark Margie in goals for Rovers made a great save high to his right. Barrett was unlucky again when his shot came off the crossbar and went over. Rovers exerted a lot of pressure  but the Dunree defence stood firm to see out the game. 

Redcastle Res           x

Keadue Res                        x


Keadue started well and a shot from Conor Diver from 20 yards was well saved by Oisín Quigley in the Redcastle net. Redcastle went ahead after 15 minutes when a brilliant shot from Shay Sweeney found the top corner from 25 yards after being set up by Gary Kelly. Redcastle were unlucky again after 25 minutes when a free kick from Oisin Sweeney skimmed the bar and went over. After 35 minutes Keadue equalised when a pass from Oisin McKeever found Oran Fallon who made no mistake – scoring low into the corner from 10 yards. Keadue almost scored a second when a header from Mark Boyle hit the bar and was cleared by a Redcastle defender. Keadue started the second half strongly and went 2 – 1 up after 50 minutes when Ethan McCafferty’s cross from the right was headed home by Mark Boyle from 10 yards. The visitors were well on top at this stage and made it 3 – 1 after 65 minutes when Fallon’s pass put Conor Diver through and he hammered the ball high into the net from 10 yards. Redcastle tried hard to get back into the match and the nearest they came was a shot from Martin Orr that hit the bar and went over. Keadue held firm after that to hold on for a deserved win.

QPS                              5

St. Catherine’s             0


Seamus McFadden opened the scoring on 18 mins – finishing off an Aaron Scott pass. McFadden made it two on 24 mins with an assist from John McCloskey. The same pair combined for no 3 with McFadden completing his hat trick. McFadden then got no 4 for the Point just before half time when he was set up by an Oisin Hillen assist.  John McCloskey completed the scoring with the fifth on 55 mins.  St. Catherine’s battled hard in the second half with O’Neill in the home goal called on to make a few good saves. 

Seamus Mc Fadden with 4 goals for QPS Today

Fintown Harps            9

Cockhill Res                1


An experienced Fintown Harps proved too strong and clinical for the young Cockhill side. The game was over as a contest by half time following five goals for the home side courtesy of Declan Roper, Keelan McMonagle, John Molloy, Dermot Gallagher and a Jamie McMonagle penalty. 

After the break and to their credit, Cockhill kept playing, earning a penalty when Joe Lavery was brought down inside the area and Sean Bradley made no mistake from the spot.

However, in the difficult conditions underfoot Cockhill struggled to play their usual football and fell further behind late on and conceded another four goals through Dylan McGlynn, Keelan McMonagle and a brace from Joe Smith. 

Strand Rovers           1

Culdaff FC                3


Culdaff made the long trip to Maghery on Saturday to face a dogged hard tackling team Strand Rovers side who were beaten finalists in this competition last season. The home team threatened early on when a Dylan Boyle shot was saved by keeper Patrick McLaughlin with his legs and the same player then had a 20 yard effort just wide of the post. The visitors best chance of the opening half came mid way through when Keelan Doherty’s free from distance shaved the post. Later in the half a James McCole free from outside the area cleared the Culdaff crossbar. Jack O’Brien was out of luck immediately after the restart when his 30 yard effort came off an upright. On the hour mark, Strand took the lead when a left wing Dylan Boyle corner was headed home by Chris Boyle. Culdaff pushed for an equaliser and Eugene McLaughlin got on the end of an O’Brien free but headed over. At the other end McLaughlin saved from Dylan Boyle. The match was levelled on 75 mins following a penalty taken by Aiden Cunningham after he himself had been fouled. And Culdaff moved ahead 5 mins later when keeper McLauglin launched a long kick which was misjudged by the Strand defence – allowing O’Brien to  flick the ball over the keeper and into the net for the lead. The visitors passage into the next round was sealed near the end when O’Brien notched his second from well outside the box.