Match Reports Sunday 19th February

SUNDAY  January 19th 2020

Buncrana Credit Union Cup           

Buncrana Hearts               4

Rasheney FC                       0

Buncrana dominated the majority of the opening half with Bart Wesoloski heading an early chance over after Calvin Gallaghers cross. But Wesoloski made amends on 17 minutes when he rose to meet Declan Fullertons cross and power a heard past Paddy McGilloway  from eight yards.

Fullerton was causing all sorts of bother on the left and from one cross Wesoloski was denied by McGilloway before Aaron McDaid fired wide at the back post and McDaid saw an attempted lob clawed away by McGilloway. Rasheney spurned a clear chance on 35 minutes after David McLaughlin got in behind the home defence but blasted over the bar from fifteen yards. Within minutes Buncrana doubled their lead when Fullerton’s mazy run took a wicked deflection off a defender to wrongfoot McGilloway. Buncrana resumed on the front foot with McDaid seeing a fifteen yards effort clip the bar on the way over.  At the other end Cormac Dillon found space  on the edge of the area but failed to hit the target. Buncrana increased their lead on 63 minutes when Stephen McHugh’s cross found McDaid who fired in off the underside of the bar. Liam McCarron then fired over before they ended the scoring after McDaid advanced on the right and fired past  McGilloway.

Aileach FC                            4

Carn FC                                 0

Aileach started well and after 5 minutes Aaron Nash stung the palms of Gerard Crossan in the Carn goal with a 20 yard shot. Carn responded and Cade Cooke got free down the right and Kyle Dougal did well to save the wingers effort with his feet. The home side took the lead on 10 minutes when Gareth McGlynn latched on to a Darren Gallagher through ball and calmly slotted past Crossan from 8 yards. Carn were having to work hard to keep the home side at bay but were still dangerous on the break. On one of these occasions Darragh Deery got good possession on the edge of the Aileach box before turning sharply but his shot lacked the power to trouble Dougal in the home goal. Aileach doubled their lead on 25 minutes when Gareth McGlynn was taken down in the box and Thomas McMonagle converted the resulting spot kick.The second half followed a similar pattern to the first with the home side having the lions share of possession and Carn having to work hard all over the pitch. But for fine performances from Ryan Kelly at centre half and Gerard Crossan in goal the home side would surely have stretched their lead. The third  finally arrived on 75 minutes when Darren McMonagle played in Ethan Canning who finished well from 10 yards. With the away side tiring a fourth  followed shortly afterwards when Thomas McMonagle crossed for the inrushing Ethan Canning to finish from close range to complete the scoring.

Culdaff FC                                        0

Cockhill Celtic Youths                  1

In an entertaining game on Saturday night in good conditions Cockhill advanced to the next round with a narrow but deserved win over the home side who battled extremely hard and restored a bit of pride after last weeks defeat. There were few clear chances at either end in the first half. For the visitors Ryan Doherty fired a free kick narrowly wide while Oisin O Flaherty had a glancing header well gathered by Darragh McLaughlin. At the other end Michael Coyle saw an effort saved by Michael O Doherty. The visitors broke the deadlock in the 35th minute after the home defence failed to clear a free kick and the ball broke for Michael Noone to lash the ball to the net from close range. McLaughlin then made a superb reaction save after a defender inadvertly headed the ball towards his own goal.On 56 minutes Eugene McLaughlin intercepted a crossfield ball and advanced but his well struck effort sailed over. Cockhill responded and McLaughlin in the home goal produced two good stops to deny Eoin McNamee on both occasions. Culdaff pressed in the final ten minutes with a looping Thomas O Brien cross from the right tipped over by Doherty before Aiden Cunningham fired a late free wide. The visitors saw out the game to advance to the quarter finals.

QPS                                        1                     

Greencastle FC                  4

The visitors got off to the perfect start  in the opening minutes when Nigel McMonagle controlled a Christy Hegarty cross and turned sharply to drill a left footed effort to the bottom corner past Aiden Lynch. In fairness the point responded well to this set back with Lee Barr seeing a free gathered by Dylan Doherty, Caolan McColgan firing just over and Stephen McKendry ‘s speculative effort drifting just over. On 37 minutes the visitors then went close after McMonagle released Hegarty but Lynch advanced to block well with his legs. The home side had the last effort of the half after s Shay Lynch effort was well held by  Doherty. Both sides had efforts saved in the opening five minutes with Ronan Doherty denied by Lynch and McKendry seeing Doherty gather his effort. Greencastle doubled their lead on 61 minutes when Ronan Doherty got on the end of  an Eamon Donnelly free to blast to the roof of the net. Minutes later Michael Henry scored the goal of the game from the angle of the area when he fired a superb effort to the top corner. Greencastle made it four nil on 79 minutes after Stephen Grant advanced and fed McMonagle who dinked the ball over the advancing Lynch. The home side got the goal they deserved when Deaglan Bowen unleashed a brilliant effort from twenty five yards low past Doherty and into the bottom corner. The point then had Josh Boyle red carded for an altercation.

Dunree United                   5

Redcastle United              0

Dunree got off to a great start when they opened the scoring on 11 minutes after Thomas Mulhern turned sharply on the edge of the area and fired low past Michael McCole. They doubled their lead on 20 minutes when  Kyle Barrett fired a stunning twenty five yards shot to the top corner. Things got worse for the visitors after a Jamie Brosnan cross found Peter O’Neill whose effort took a wicked deflection on its way past McCole. Before the break Liam Baldrick sent Mulhern away on the right and his cross was side footed home from six yards by Brosnan for a fine team goal. Redcastle tried hard after the break but the closest they came was on the hour mark with Brendan Murphy  seeing his fine shot tipped around the post by John Lafferty. Dunree sealed their passage to the quarter finals when Ryan Doherty rounded McCole but saw his effort blocked on the line only for Brosnan to nip in and slot home.

Glengad United                 5

Gleneely Colts                   0

Premier division Glengad dominated the possession stakes but found the visitors defence a tough nut to crack. Seamus Doherty had an early effort well saved by Sean McGuinness on 11 minutes. Glengad opened the scoring on 27 minutes when  Dillon Ruddy fed Stephen McLaughlin who beat a defender and drilled a low ball across for brother Christopher to sidefoot home from six yards. Both Matthew Byrne and Finn McClure had long range efforts well dealt with by McGuinness before a Cathal McDaid cross found goalscorer McLaughlin whose header came back off the base of the post. The home side were dealt a further injury blow when Stephen Mclaughlin had to go off with an ankle injury on the stroke of half time. Glengad got a dream start to the second period when a  Patrick McDermott corner fell at the back post for Matthew Byrne to slot low past McGuinness. On 55 minutes they made it three nil when John McDaid picked out Seamus Doherty on the edge of the area and he unleashed a superb strike to the top corner. Christy McLaughlin then pounced on a defensive slip to race clear and make it four nil. Gleneely kept trying and first John Doherty got on the end of Eddie McNamee s cross but fired wide. Then Cory O Brien squared the ball to Adrian Duffy who fired narrowly wide from the edge of the area. Glengad completed the scoring late on when substitute Nathan McConalogue crossed for Cathal McDaid to slot home.

Clonmany Shamrocks                  1

Moville Celtic                                 0

First division leaders Clonmany had the better of the chances in the opening half. But Moville had the first chance when Jack McConalogue got on the end of a Michael McNaught cross but sidefooted over the bar from eight yards. Clonmany replied and were on top for the remainder of the half. Shane McCaul sent Jason devlin through and when forced wide by Ryan Coyle he laid the ball back to full back Matthew Brennan whose effort was headed off the line by Puaric Skelly. Midway through the half a Jake Harkin effort hit both posts before being cleared by the Moville defence. Clonmany took the lead on the dtroke of half time after McCaul was tripped in the area and Oisin Hession blasted high past Coyle. Clonmany had an early chance in the  second half when Steve Harkin release  Jason Devlin but off balance he fired wide. Moville dominated possession then for long periods but failed to create any clear cut chances as the home defence stood firm. Clonmany had another chance then when Harkin flicked on for Devlin who held off a defender but dragged his effort wide. Moville’s final attempt at forcing extra time saw a dangerous Kyle Harkin free headed behind for a corner which was cleared.


Inishowen Engineering Division Two  A   

Aileach Youth         2        

Dunree Res             2

Aileach had the first chance when Darren Bradley raced through and rounded Philip Doherty but fired wide from a tight angle. Dunree replied and when a Neil Moran free came off the bar David Eccles fired the loose ball home. They increased their lead midway through the half after Martin Lynch slipped the ball through to Moran who calmly slotted low past Doherty. Aileach went close before the break when Stephen O Donnell unleashed an effort which Doherty tipped around the post. Aileach upped the tempo after the restart and got a goal back when O’Donnell got on the end of Bradley’s cross to force the ball home from eight yards. They then got back on terms on the hour mark after a scramble in the box fell to Daithi Grant who fired high to the roof of the net. Aileach got on top then for a spell and Callum Porter was unlucky to see an effort crash off the post. On the break Dunree ‘s Moran broke into the area but fired  straight at Ryan Fox. The home side came closest to winning the game after a Kevin Wallace header was cleared off the line by Eccles late on.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two  B  

Rasheney     Res                 0

Culdaff Res                          3

Culdaff started the better and when a Jack McLaughlin header from a corner fell to Joe O Connor his close range effort crashed off the bar. They took the lead minutes later when a Michael McFadden low effort was parried by Roger McGilloway but Sean McGrenaghan pounced to slot the loose ball home. Rasheney upped the tempo after this with Kevin Noone outpacing the visitors defence but his low effort was blocked by the legs of Dermot Callaghan. Callaghan pulled off a similar save on 33minutes when Cormac Dillon raced through after good work by Kevin & Marius Noone. Then Corny McCole fired a low shot through a crowd of players but Callaghan saved at full stretch and the defence completed the clearance. Culdaff ho back before the break and increased their lead after the ball deflected off a defender perfectly into the path of Matthew Crampsey who drilled a fine low twenty yards effort to the  bottom corner. Culdaff went close in the opening minute of the second half after a Jack Mclaughlin effort was well saved by McGilloway but his follow up was blocked and cleared off the line by McCole. At the other end Kevin Noone fed substitute Ronan Shovlin but Callaghan advanced to smother at his feet. The visitors sealed the points on 58 minutes after  McLaughlin scored direct from a corner. Rasheney had a late chance after Shovlin and Morgan Guihen combined to release Callum Doherty but his effort from a tight angle was saved by Callaghan.

Carn Res                               2         

Carrowmena FC                 0

Carn created the first chance on 5 minutes when Paul Stevens long pass down the right wing found Josh Diver who laid it off to Kyran Cantwell  but he fired narrowly wide from 10 yards. Carrowmena responded on 20 minutes when Shane Diver broke on the right wing and squared it for Mark Doherty but he failed to hit the target when well placed from 12 yards.  Carn responded on 32 minutes with Dermot doherty (B) finding Ryan O’Donnell who in turn found Conor Burke who shot high to the right corner of the net but was well saved by Carrowmena goalkeeper Brian Houghton. Carn broke the deadlock on 54 minutes when Ryan O’Donnell broke down the right wing and laid it off for Cantwell who chipped the keeper from twenty yards. Carrowmena nearly equalized midway through the half after a  James McDermott pass from midfield found Gerard Gill who went one on one with carn keeper Kyle Harkin but shot low to the left and wide from 20 yards. Carn doubled their lead on 87 minutes when substitute Darragh Doherty broke on the right wing and laid it off for  Cantwell to slot low to the bottom corner from twelve yards.