Match Reports Sunday 19th February

Inishowen Football League Fixtures  2022-23

Sunday 19th February    

Ulster Junior Shield Semi Finals

Clonmany Res 1

Strand Rovers 1 Strand Rovers win 4-3 on pens

After a tentative opening Clonmany had the first opportunity on 17 minutes when Niall Mclaughlin played brother Mark in behind the Rovers defence but his dipping effort just cleared the bar.

Rovers responded midway through the half and were unlucky after  Cian McGee  cut in from the right and unleashed an effort which rebounded off Kieran Friel s left hand post. McGee was then off target with another effort before Clonmany ended the half well. First Mark Doherty had an effort saved at full length by Cormac Hanlon . Before the break the McLaughlin brother combined again and Mark was unlucky to see his effort come off the post before rebounding off the keeper and wide. The visitors started the second half well with  McGee hitting the post for the second time in the game and then seeing a well hit shot tipped over the bar by Friel. Clonmany responded with Mark Mclaughlin firing wide from a twenty yards free kick on the hour mark. Minutes later the home side took the lead when a Luke Devlin long ball from defence found Mark McLaughlin between defenders and he drilled low across Hanlon and into the far corner from fifteen yards. But the visitors got the equaliser they deserved on 82 minutes when Jordan Saville fired a free kick from the edge of the area to the bottom corner to send the tie into extra time. The only real chance in extra time came in the second period to the home side when a Steve Harkin ball into the area fell to Raymond McDaid whose half volley was well saved by Hanlon. In the shootout it was Rovers who edged into the final against Redcastle United.

Greencastle Res 0

Redcastle United 1

Redcastle got off to a great start and brought a good save from Evan Davenport within the first 60 seconds. In what was a tight next twenty minutes it was Redcastle who took the lead in the 20th minute when a good diagonal ball from Stephen Grant found Ronan Hoy at the back post who took a touch and placed it past  Davenport. Most of the half was a midfield battle although Redcastle were forced into a substitution when Jack Ferry picked up a knee injury. Greencastle got off to a good start in the second half and were on the front foot when Ben  Doherty saw a 25 yard drive go just over the bar.

Greencastle had another good chance in the 65th minute after a good run and cross by Ryan McDermott found Ronan Farren whose header went just past the post. They continued to press and  from a free kick 25 yards out Michael McCole making a good save from the Kyle Harkin effort.Greencastle continued to push forward but found a strong Redcastle defence holding firm with Redcastle looking dangerous on the counter attack.Redcastle could have sealed the game in the 85th minute when Cathal Crumlish was put through one  on one  but his chipped effort sailed past the post.In the end Redcastle held on for a deserved win and move on to the final in search of a first Ulster Junior Shield when they meet Strand Rovers.

Jackie Crossan Premier Division 

Buncrana Hearts 4

Cockhill Youths 1

Cockhill stunned the home side in the 6th minute when after a defensive error Darragh McDermott fed Paul Duffy on the right and he finished superbly low past Rory Kelly from ten yards. The home side replied with Aaron McDaid finding Eoin Murphy whose effort was deflected wide. They got back on terms in the 18th minute after a Kieran McDaid corner deflected off a defender past Eoin Colhoun. The home side then spurned a gilt edged chance after Jamie McDaid was fouled in the box when the usually reliable Ryan Doherty fired wide from the spot. Doherty then had a cross from the left headed over by Matthew Browne before they took the lead on the stroke of half time. A long kick out from Kelly was flicked on by Jamie McDaid for Adam Curran to squeeze the ball past Colhoun from a tight angle. The home side increased their lead in the opening minute of the second period when a James Adair cross was controlled well  by Browne before drilling low past Colhoun from ten yards. Minutes later they added a fourth goal following Kieran McDaids deep corner which found the unmarked Christopher McKinley to head home at the back post.  Buncrana were dominant at this stage and when Colhoung ounched a corner clear Nathan McAneff collected and unleashed a powerful drive from twenty five yards which crashed off the bar.  Buncrana saw the game out comfortably to keep the pressure on at the top of the table.

Aileach FC 2

Glengad United 0

This contest started very evenly with  a lot of play condensed in the middle third and both defences on top. The first chance of note fell to the home side on 20 minutes when Caomhin McFeely slipped in Elhan Canning and Ciaran Gallagher did well to push his effort from a tight angle wide for a corner. Aileach should have taken the lead on 35 minutes after Gavin Doherty found Ethan Canning wide left and his first time cross picked out the onrushing Darren McMonagle but Gallagher did superbly to turn his close range strike over the bar. Glengad responded and Joe Doherty made a fine run into the box but Aileach had enough defenders on hand to snuff out the danger. The home side finally broke the deadlock on the stroke of half time when Darren Bradley broke down the right and crossed for Darren McMonagle who side stepped a defender before placing the ball wide of Gallagher to the corner of the net.

The second half was barely 5 minutes old when the home side doubled their advantage after Ethan Canning robbed a defender on the edge of the box and crossed for Darren Bradley to finish from close range. Glengad tried hard to get back into the game but the Aileach defence with young Michael McElroy alongside the experience Thomas McMonagle able to handle most of the danger. As Glengad pushed more numbers forward Aileach should have extended their lead with Aaron Nash and Darren McMonagle guilty of missing clear cut chances as the game drew to a conclusion.


Moville Celtic 1

Illies Celtic 0

At  a windy bayfield Moville had the first sight of goal when the ball fell to Bradley Callaghan inside the area but from a tight angle he hit the side netting. Illies replied and in a swift counter attack Kevin McGonigle found space to unleash an effort which sailed just over the bar.  The next opportunity came to the home side after a great ball from Ryan Morrow found Michael McNaught but the Michael Doherty  advanced to save well. The remainder of the half  was a midfield battle in the blustery conditions. Moville got off to the perfect start after the break when Jake Morrow fired  a stunning free kick from thirty yards to the top corner for a superb goal. Moville got on top then with McNaught seeing two efforts with one going just wide and another flying over the bar. Mark Toland then was put clear by an Aaron McGurk pass  but a poor touch allowed a defender to get back and clear the danger. Illies threw everything forward in the final minutes but failed  to trouble Taylor Calrke in the home goal as Moville held on for a vital win.

Strand Hotel  Division One   

Aileach Res 0


In a tight contest clear chances were a premium throughout. Both sides had half chances in the first half with QPS   Conor Barrow firing wide before a Sean McIntyre free found David Healy who headed over the bar. For the home side Keith McColgan shot over the bar while a Jordan McGeady free on the edge of the area was straight at Conor O Neill in the Point goals. Aileach began the second half well and in the opening minute McColgan  cut in from the left hand side and was unlucky to see his shot crash off the post. Five minutes  later they had another  good chance after Anthony Doherty  found Sean McHugh in a central position in front of goal but he miscued . The visitors responded on the hour mark when Jack McClean cut inside a defender  but fired straight at David McGeady. At the other end Anthony Doherty broke clear of the home  defence but saw his attempted lob  go over the bar. On 88 minutes the visitors had a great chance to nick all three points when Barrow raced onto a long ballbut McGeady advanced to block his effort as the game ended scoreless.

Gleneely Colts 1

Buncrana Res  5

In the early exchanges Paul Doherty fired a free kick just over for the home side while at the other end Michael McLaughlin went close from distance. Buncrana got on top then and Jack Soal was narrowly off target before Hugh McGonagle saw an effort saved by Mark Smith in the Colts goal. Before the break visiting keeper Oran McBride made a superb double save to deny Vinny McKenna and Paul Doherty after good build up from Oran Raymond to leave the teams scoreless at the break. Buncrana opened the scoring in the 52nd minute when an Eoin McNamee effort from twenty five yards took a deflection on its way to the roof of the net. They added another minutes later after McGonagle raced through the home defence to slot past Smith from ten yards. On 66 minutes it was three nil after a corner was slotted home by the unmarked Liam Duncan. Gleneely kept battling and reduced the deficit on 77 minutes when John Doherty found Paul Gamble whose cross was slotted to the bottom corner by Shay Harkin. But the visitors ended the game strongly with substitute Cillian Downey adding two goals. Firstly he ran onto a McNamee pass and drilled past Smith before    collecting a loose ball twenty five yards out and firing to the bottom corner.

Inish  Engineering  Division Two    A    

Carn Res 2

Cockhill Res 0

It was third at home to second   at St Patrick’s Park when Carn Reserves took on Cockhill Reserves.  It was Carn who started the brightest when some good work from Dion Diver down the left found Mark Scott form 15 yards out but his shot was well saved from Cockhills Darragh O’Donnell. Carn looked to make the early pressure count and they did when Tiernan Doherty scored from a tight angle. His low shot from the left could only be parried into the net by Darragh O’Donnell. Cockhill looked to respond quickly and after Mark Doherty was fouled, Mason McDaid saw a free kick comfortably dealt with by Carn keeper Dan McDaid. Carn came out of the traps flying in the second half and forced O’Donnell into two saves. On 50 minutes they increased their lead when  Kyran Cantwell finished from close range after O’Donnell made the initial save. Carn kept Cockhill at bay however it could’ve been a nervy ending when Mason McDaid come within inches of pulling a goal back with a header. The game would end two nil to Carn with both sides still in the race for promotion.

Illies Res 3

Moville Res 2

Moville had an early chance when Conor Lafferty bore down on goal but Ciaran Sharkey made a superb save with his feet. Illies then took control of the game and opened the scoring in the 10th minute after Oran Dohertys deep corner was headed past Stephen Teles by William McLaughlin. They increased their advantage minutes later with a Marty Coyle effort from distance which deceived Teles on its way to the roof of the net. It was all Illies at this stage and Shane Devlin first saw his chip over Teles crash off the post before on 38 minutes had a powerful effort cannon off the crossbar. Moville had the final chance of the half after Laffertys free kick found the unmarked John McGeady who headed over at the back post. Moville got a goal back on 55 minutes when Shane Canning released Oisin Lynch to fire through a crowd of players to the bottom corner. Lynch had another chance when he broke clear  but saw his effort saved by the legs of Sharkey. Moville got back on terms after a deep free from Pearse Doherty eluded all on its way to the net on 70 minutes. But Illies regained the lead after Paddy Doherty released Gavin Doherty on the left and he lifted the ball over the advancing Teles from the edge of the area. Moville exerted a lot of pressure in the closing stages but the home defence well marshalled by William McLaughlin stood firm.

Rashenny FC 2

Culdaff Res 0

With the advantage of the breeze in the first half  Culdaff started well and on 4 minutes Eugene McLaughlin turned  sharply on the edge of the area but fired just wide. Then on 21 minutes a ricochet off a  home defender fell nicely to Patrick McLaughlin inside the area but his low effort was turned round the post by Gavin McLaughlin. Rashenny responded and Cormac Dillon had an effort blocked before Ronan Shovlin had one effort just wide before seeing a dipping shot well held by Dermot Callaghan in the visitors goal. Culdaff ended the half well with Euan McFeelys effort tipped over by McLaughlin who also done well to gather  a Michael Doran effort which took a deflection. Rashenny took the lead after substitute Conor McDaids low cross was dummied by Tommy Doherty for Anthony Doherty to slot high past Callaghan from ten yards in the 52nd minute. Minutes later a ball held up in the wind and was flicked on by Shane Cregan for Tommy Doherty  to fire home from close  range. Doherty then had a cross shot from side the area just past the post. The best the visitors managed  was a ball which fell to Peter Doherty at the back post but he fired  into the side netting.

Inish  Engineering  Division Two    B     

Carrowmena FC 1

Aileach Youths 0

The home side began well with Gerard Gill collecting the ball in midfield before finding Adam Harkin whose cross was met first time by Mark McGongile but Dylan Clarke saved well low to his right. Gill and Harkin then combined well before Gill  fired just wide of Clarkes left hand post on twenty minutes. Carrowmen broke the deadlock on 22 minutes when Paul McGowans cross found Gill who slipped the ball into the path of Harkin to fire past Clarke from twelve yards. Aileach came more into the game after this Kevin Boyle getting to the byeline and pulling the ball back but  Cormac Ferguson miscued when well placed. On the stroke of half time Brendan Hegarty ‘s point blank effort was brilliantly tipped onto the bar by home keeper Michael Noone to keep the home side ahead at the break. Aileach pushed the home side back for long periods of the second half  with Hegarty and Boyle prominent but Killian Dougal and Mike Price defended stoutly  and Aileach failed to trouble Noone in the home goal. Carrowmena came closest on the hour mark with a Sean Duffy effort crashing off the bar.

Glengad Res 1

Redcastle Res 2

Despite playing against the wind the visitors opened the scoring in the 10th minute after Aiden Lynch turned a defender and advanced into the area to fire past Danny McGonigle from twelve yards. Glengad upped the tempo and after Chris Doherty s long free kick fell to PJ McDaid who controlled turned and saw his shot  well saved low to his right by Oisin Quigley. Quigley was in action again before the break when he turned a Paul McGonagle effort around the post. Glengad started the second half well and got back on terms on 51 minutes  when a caolan McColgan cross was controlled by McGonagle before he fired low past Quigley from ten yards. They had another chance then after a Jason Mullarkey cross just eluded the inrushing  McDaid at the back post. There was little in the game then until the 85th minute when the visitors struck for the winner after a scramble in the area ended with Lynch poking the ball home  from close range.

Dunree Res 1

Rashenny Res 0

There was very little goalmouth action in the first half with a lot of the play in the midfield areas and both defences well on top. Late in the first half Dunree had a good chance but Evan Barrys effort was well saved by Roger mcGilloway in the visitors goal. Dunree took the lead on the hour mark after an inswinging corner deflected off an unfortunate defender and into the net. Rashenny responded and Abdul Al Rasheed unleashed an effort from the edge of the area but Oran Doherty made a fine stop. The game finished in dramatic fashion after the visitors were awarded a penalty in injury time but Rasheed saw his spot kick superbly saved by Doherty to clinch the oints for the home side.