Match Reports Sunday 18th September

Inishowen Football League Fixtures  2022-23

Sunday 18th September

Jackie Crossan Premier Division 

Culdaff FC                            0        

Glengad United                  1

In fine conditions at Caratra Park before a big crowd the visitors were first to threaten on 8 minutes  after a Stephen McLaughlin cross from the right found Ryan McLaughlin but he fired narrowly wide from ten yards.

Culdaff replied and a Dillon Ruddy ball over the top reached Bryan McCandless but he fired just over the bar from the edge of the area. On 26minutes the home side came agonisingly close after a Michael Coyle flick on found McCandless who laid the ball off for Keith Norris whose close range effort was cleared off the line by John G McDermott. Glengad then took the lead on 36 minutes after a John G McLaughlin cross found substitute Matthew Mooney to slot past Zach Conlon in the home goal. Glengad had the first opportunity of the second period after good work by Terence Doherty who laid the ball off for Ryan McLaughlin but he failed to hit the target when well placed. Culdaff responded and a superb  cross from Norris just eluded the outstretched leg of Coyle at the back post. Play was swinging from end to end and a Matthew Byrne ball over the top found Terence Doherty whose first time effort was well saved by Conlon before Stephen Harley fired well over from outside the area. In the closing ten minutes Culdaff went close after Ruddy played a ball into Ben Curley inside the area and he turned to unleash an effort which Ciaran Gallagher saved well. The final chance fell to the visitors with Conor O Neills cross finding Fergal Doherty who headed wide at the near post.

Aileach FC                                        3         

Clonmany Shamrocks                   2

Aileach began this game with a lot of controlled possession around the middle third but without threatening the Clonmany goal. On 8 minutes Jack Doherty overlapped down the right but his shot from a tight angle was forced wide by Gavin McLaughlin in the Clonmany goal. Clonmany responded and  good hold up play from Pearse Mc Carron brought Shane Mc Caul into play and the winger cut inside before firing a fine effort just wide of Matthew Gallagher’s left hand post. Midway through the half  the home side had a golden opportunity to take the lead when Michael McElroy crossed for Shane Mc Monagle but his header from eight  yards just cleared the bar. On the half hour  and somewhat against the run of play, Clonmany took the lead. A good break down the right resulted in the ball being pulled back and Pearse Mc Carron made no mistake from eight yards. This reverse stung Aileach and they pinned Clonmany back for long periods and on the stroke of half time finally found an equaliser when Gavin Doherty powered a header home from 12 yards following a corner. Aileach began the second half on the front foot and took the lead in the  55th  minute when good work down the right by Gavin Doherty, Jack Doherty and Shane Mc Monagle resulted in the latter crossing for brother Darren to volley home from close yards. The home side continued to have the lions share of possession but a combination of stout Clonmany defence and a fine display in goal by Gavin Mc Laughlin, meant  they couldn’t extend their lead. With 15 minutes to go, the home side were  caught with  a sucker punch when a free kick from the right found Jake Harkin unmarked in the centre of the goal and he made no mistake with his header from five yards. Aileach began pressing again but were continually frustrated by a combination of some last ditch defending and poor finishing. With time running out Dermott Doherty collected a through ball and was bundled over in the box and Warren Harvey pointed to the spot. Substitute Gareth McGlynn making his first appearance of the season stepped up and sent Mc Laughlin the wrong way for what turned out to be the winning goal.



Moville Celtic                      4                     

Greencastle FC                   2

Moville began well and an early Aaron McGurk effort was well saved by Jason McCallion in the visitors goal. They opened the scoring on 11 minutes after McGurk slipped the ball through for Michael McNaught who lobbed McCallion from the edge of the area. Greencastle responded and a Brenan Moore effort was well saved by Stephen Teles before Kyle Harkin had a long range effort also gathered by Teles. Moville then  increased their lead when McGurk curled an effort from the edge of the area to the top corner. The visitors then got a goal back after a Kyle  Harkin free from a wide position eluded all and ended in the net. Greencastle spurned a great chance then before the break but Shea McLaughlin blazed over when well placed. Greencastle made a dream start to the second half when they got back on terms after Nigel McMonagle capitalized on a defensive error to slot home.But Moville regained the lead on the hour mark after Jake Morrow cut in past two defenders and finished well past McCallion. Morrow increased the lead  when he was in the right place to slot home after McCallion had parried McNaughts effort. The same player was denied his hat trick after his well struck free kick came back off the post. The visitors pushed forward in the last quarter and McMonagle fired over the bar before Michael Barr also headed over the top.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Cockhill Celtic Yths                        0         

Buncrana Hearts                            1

As usual this was a close hard fought affair with few chances and defences on top  after a bright opening. Cockhill had an early chance when Paul Duffy fed Darragh McDermott  whose close range effort was well saved by Eoghan O Doherty. Buncrana responded with Ryan Doherty releasing Eoin Murphy whose superb cross was met by a Sean Mullan header only for Harry Doherty to make a brilliant finger tip save. While the visitors had the majority of possession chances were at a premium as the half ended scoreless. The second half followed a similar pattern and midway through the half the home side had a penalty claim waved away when Duffy went down inside the area. The defining moment of the game came on 78 minutes when Buncrana struck for the only goal. Ryan Doherty began the move playing the ball into Calvin Galllagher who in turn found Mullan on the right.Mullan then cut in and curled a superb effort around a defender and just inside  Dohertys right hand post to clinch the points.


Strand Hotel First  Division

Clonmany Res         0        

Carn FC                     9

Carn blitzed the home side in the opening half and a combination of Kyran Cantwell with four goals and a couple of own goals left the home side shell shocked at the break. Cantwell opened the scoring on 14 minutes when he pounced on a loose ball to drill past Tiernan Devine. A couple of minutes later good work by Brandon Browne saw his cross swept home by Ross Farren. A defensive mix up then saw the ball fall to Cantwell who was left with the simplest of tasks before he completed his hat trick when  collected a Browne cross and rounding Devine to slot home. Two unfortunate own goals made it six nil before Cantwell cut in from the right hand side and fired low past Devine. Clonmanys only chance came after a Logan McDaid effort was well saved by Ben Miller in the Carn goal. The home side reorganised after the break and while failing to create clear chances they were a lot more competitive. ConanGibbons was denied by a superb double save from Clonmany substitute Kieran Friel . Carn substitute Tiernan Kelly added their eighth goal after a good run past a couple of defenders before supplying  a neat finish. Carn continued to threaten and Gert Dzerins saw one shot well saved and other  blocked by a defender. They completed the scoring  when Cantwell cut in from the left hand side and superbly tucked the ball past Friel into the bottom corner.

Redcastle United               2         

QPS                                        1

The home side began this game well and when Darragh McConway’s cross found Jack McConalgue but he fired wide of the left hand post. But minutes later McConalogue made amends when he got on the end of another McConway cross to shoot low past Conor O Neill in the QPS goal. Redcastle continued  on the front foot with Marc Bell seeing an effort well saved by o Neill. The point eventually came into the game as an attacking force with Sean McColgan finding Josh Boyle whose effort was well saved by Michael McCole. Before the interval McConway controlled a Martin McCarron long ball well but fired over the bar. The point upped the tempo on the restart with Boyle releasing Reece McGilloway whose low effort is well saved by McCole low to his left. At the other end Shaun Curran  split the visitors defence for Gavin Grant  but again O Neill saved well. Midway through the half the visitors equalised after Boyle advanced on the right and his cross was headed home by Conor Barrow. They created another great chance in the 78th minute when Boyle advanced past a defender and crossed for McGilloway  who fired just wide. Redcastle ended the game strongly and on 90 minutes Bell released Grant but he fired straight at O Neill. Thein injury time the home side snatched a last gasp winner with Currans free kick found Cathal Crumlish to head home and clinch the points.


Gleneely Colts                    2

Dunree United                    4

Dunree started this game in whirlwind fashion and took the lead in the opening minute after the unmarked Adam Barrett collected a throw in and fired past Oran Raymond. Minutes later they doubled their lead with Liam Baldrick splitting the Colts defence for Conor Barrett to run through and finish well. Gleneely responded and Christy McDaid had an effort saved by Oran Doherty before John Doherty released Paul Gamble but he fired wide from a good position.  McDaid then had another effort but again Doherty in the Dunree goal was equal to the task. Dunree responded on the half  hour when they made it three nil after Mark Moran ran onto a ball over the top and headed past the advancing Raymond. Gleneely then got a goal back after a superb diagonal ball from McDaid found Shay Harkin and he finished well into the bottom corner. Before the break Raymond made a fine save to deny Tommy Mulhern as Dunree led three one at the break. On the restart  the home side saw Manus Doherty unleash two efforts that were saved by Doherty before at the other end a Conor Barrett shot was well gathered by Raymond. Gleneely reduced the deficit to the minimum in the 75th minute after a Cahir O Kane cross found McDaid who beat a defender and fired to the bottom corner. The homeside continued to press and McDaid and O Kane both had efforts blocked. Dunree replied and on the break Mulhern was unlucky to see an effort rebound off the post. They sealed the points on 86 minutes after Moran intercepted a ball inside the Gleneely half and advanced to curl an unstoppable twenty five yards effort into the top corner.


Inishowen Engineering Division Two   

Carn Res                   3                    

Cockhill Res             1

The home side were first to threaten with a Christopher Doherty effort well saved by Darragh O’Donnell in the Cockhill goal. Cockhill came well into the game and broke the deadlock on 22 minutes when Kevin McDaid raced onto a long ball and fired low past Daniel McDaid from fifteen yards. But the home side equalised before the break when Mark Scotts ball in  behind the visitors defence was latched onto by Doherty who fired low past O Donnell from fifteen yards. Carn then took the lead in the 51st minute after Dillon Cooke played the ball through for  his brother  Dayton to finish well past the advancing keeper. Cockhill rallied and were unlucky when a Kevin McDaid header was well tipped onto the bar by the home keeper Daniel McDaid before his defence completed the clearance. The home side then sealed the points after Scott fed Shay Fallon on the edge of the area and he advanced to shoot low to the corner from twelve yards.


Rasheney RES                     3         

QPS Youth                           1

The visitors started this game at a tremendous pace and will be wondering how  they failed to add to their tally. They scored in the opening minute when a Cormac McColgan throw in was collected by Josh McLaughlin who ran unchallenged into the area before drilling past Fergal Diver. McLaughlin then had an effort parried by Diver only for Tommy McConalogues follow up to be cleared off the line. A dipping Brian McColgan effort was well tipped over by Diver and from the corner a succession of efforts were blocked as the home goal led a charmed life.  Then on 24 minutes McColgan fed Cillian McElhinney on the right and he hooked the ball past Diver but Kyle Doherty hacked the ball off the line. In their first attack the home  side levelled on 28 minutes when Mamuka Oshashvili set up Gareth McKeever inside the area to fire past  Oisin Burke. McHeever then had a superb cross cleared away by Evan McGilloway to deny the home side a certain goal. Rasheney then took the lead on 43 minutes when  Oshashvili released McKeever again who fired low to the corner from sixteen yards. The point had the final chance of the half after a McElhinney effort was well saved by Diver.Rasheney with the wind started the second half well and substitute Ryan O Donnell raced onto a long Liam Grant ball to head over the advancing Burke but saw his effort crash back off the bar. They increased their lead on 59 minutes when a Darragh Diver diagonal ball from the right found its way to Diarmait Keogh who fired home from a tight angle. Rasheney continued to press and when Mckeever had an effort parried by Burke  the ball fell to  O’Donnell whose follow up effort was blocked by a defender. The visitors were on top in the final quarter with Ronan Lafferty seeing a shot saved by Diver before Josh McLaughlin was unlucky with a twenty five yards free which cannoned off the bar. They also had the final chance but Cormac McColgan fired wide after a couple of other attempts had been blocked.

Culdaff Res                          4

Aileach Youth                     1  

In excellent conditions at Caratra Park on Saturday evening the home side got back to winning ways with a four win victory over the visitors. Culdaff opened the scoring when Patrick McLaughlin got on the end of a loose ball inside the area and fired low past Dylan Clarke. Not long after  Aileach broke down the left wing and Kevin  Boyle s  cross  Stephen Doherty  who headed  past Dermot Callaghan in the home goal. Culdaff replied before the break when Mack McLaughlin’s corner  was met  by John Joe Doherty who headed home from 8 yards. Midway through the second half Euan McFeely finished off a counter-attack involving Conor Doherty and Mack McLaughlin to put the home side three one ahead. Culdaff made it four in the dying minutes when Mack McLaughlin converted a penalty. The visitors had the final chance when they were awarded a penalty for handball but Stephen Dohertys spot kick clipped the outside of the post.

Illies Res                   1                     

Rasheney FC            3

Illies began well and in the 12th minute Oran Doherty laid the ball off for Paddy Doherty who first time effort crashed off the post. Illies then forced a couple of corners but the visitors defence cleared the danger. Somewhat against the run of play the visitors opened the scoring on the half hour mark when Ryan Doherty threaded a superb pass into the path of David McLaughlin who held off a defender and fired low past Graham Doherty. The home side went close on the stroke of half time when Paddy Doherty laid the ball off to Ronan Hegarty whose first time effort was well saved by Sean Friel. Illies got back on terms in the 49th minute after a deep Nathan McLaughlin corner was headed back across by Paddy Doherty for Stephen Grant to fire to the roof of the net. However the visitors regained their lead five minutes after this when the home defence got in a muddle and the ball fell to substitute Cormac Dillon to drill low past Doherty. Illies battled hard and Hegarty fired wide when well placed when he should have done better. Rasheney then sealed the points on 77 minutes after David  McLaughlin raced onto a long clearance and squared the ball for substitute Caelum Long to sidefoot home.

Moville Res              0                     

Sea Rovers               3

Rovers began well forcing a number of corners but Michael McCarron in the home goal dealt capably with their effort. Rovers did open the scoring on 16 minutes when Andrew Gallagher broke on the left hand side and squared the  ball for Conor McGeoghaghan to sidefoot home from ten yards. Moville responded and both Ronan McCarron and Conor Lafferty were off target with effort from the edge of the area. At the other end McGeoghaghan just failed to get on the end of a Joey Holland cross.On 42 minutes Rovers doubled their advantage when Holland rose highest to head home Gallaghers corner kick. On the stroke of half time McGeoghaghan was then denied by a fine smothering save from McCarron. Moville started the second half well  but for all their possession they failed to trouble Michael McLaughlin in the rovers goal. Rovers gradually got on top again and made it three nil midway through the half after McGeoghaghan broke on the left and his cross was swept home by Conor Gallagher from eight yards. The home side suffered a further blow when Lafferty was red carded but they had the final chance when Andrew McCarron cut in from the right and unleashed an effort which McLaughlin saved well.

Dunree Res                          3         

Carrowmena   FC               1

Dunree recorded their first league win of the season and began well with Neil Moran releasing Gerry Farrell whose effort was well saved by Michael Noone.  But the visitors responded and opened the scoring minutes later after a poor clearance fell to Sean Duffy whose effort as deflected past Philip Doherty in the home goal. Dunree upped the tempo but Gerry Farrell and Tiernan Moran both saw good efforts saved by Noone. They did equalise in the 29th minute with Farrell sending Tiernan Moran through to round Noone and slot home. Dunree were on top and when Mickey Grant laid the ball off to Neil Moran his effort was cleared off the line. Carrowmena  tried to respond   and before the break a  Paul McGowan corner was cleared to Duffy on the edge of the area and his shot was well saved by Doherty. After an even start to the second period it was Dunree who took the lead midway through the half after a Neil Moran free kick was parried by Noone and the ball fell for Mickey Grant to drill through a crowd of players to the net. Carrowmena tried to hit back with Gerard Gill finding Mike Price only for his shot to rise over the bar.At the other end  a one two between Paul Jackson and Cian Moran ended with Jackson firing into the side netting. Dunree sealed the issue on 88 minutes after a corner fell to Ryan Toland thirty yards out and he unleashed a powerful effort which went in of the left hand post.

Redcastle Res         1         

Glengad Res            1

In a close game between two evenly matched sides it was the visitors who went closest  first after a Paul McGonagle effort was cleared off the line. Redcastle replied and broke the deadlock in the 28th minute after Keelan Henry unleashed a superb twenty yards strike past Patrick McLaughlin from twenty yards. Glengad had the final chance of the half with a PJ McDaid effort well saved by Dermot Hoy. The second half saw defences on top with a lot of the play in the midfield areas. On 72 minutes the teams were level after an unfortunate own goal by the home side. Glengad pressed for the remainder of the game but the home defence stood firm to earn a point.