Match Reports Sunday 18th February

Inishowen Football League Reports  18th February 

Oscar Traynor Inter League

Donegal League 1

Inishowen League 1

The Donegal League advance to the quarter finals of the Oscar Traynor 

competition after they ground out the point they needed to advance at Ballyare.

As in the first leg Inishowen made a lot of the running but will be disappointed with the manner of goals conceded over both legs

Inishowen had the first chance after three minutes when a Brendan McLaughlin low free kick delivery from the right was sidefooted narrowly wide by  Corey McBride. But on 6 minutes Eddie O’Reilly latched onto a defensive header and lobbed the advancing Taylor Clarke to put Donegal in control. Inishowen responded positively and Terence Doherty had an effort blocked before Kieran McDaid saw a header saved after good approach by McBride on both occasions. A superb ball into the channel from Mclaughlin sent McBride into the area but he was denied by a superb save from Forkan. Inishowen deservedly equalised on 27 minutes after another low McLaughlin free kick flicked home by Terence Doherty from eight yards.Another McBride break saw him advance to the edge of the area but his over hit cross eluded all team mates. At the other end  a defensive lapse allowed Adrian Delap a sight of goal but a superb Thomas McMonagle tackle  averted the danger. Before the interval Inishowen had another chance after   McBride broek and crossed the ball for Kieran McDaid whose effort was blocked and cleared. The visitors started the second half well on top pinning the home side back and forcing a succession of corners. A  Kieran McDaid free floated all the way to the back post found no takers before Mclaughlin fired a free kick well over. Another spell of pressure saw a Calvin Gallagher effort parried at full stretch and when McBride lashed in the rebound  Inishowen celebrations were cut short with an assistants flag. Another series of corners on the hour ended with a James henry effort which flew just over. Donegal broke midway through the half and following a corner  Paul Boyles first shot was blocked before he fired the rebound well over.Inishowen were dealt a huge blow when Calvin Gallagher received a very harsh red card  but they continued to press with John G McLaughlin’s header saved and Brendan Mclaughlins effort superbly blocked by Matthew Crossan. Their final chance came following another corner with Peter Dohertys left footed effort parried away by Forkan to leave Donegal relieved at getting the draw and advancing to the quarter finals.


Ulster Junior Shield ¼ Finals 

Cockhill Youths 3

Glencar Celtic 0

Played in ideal conditions at the Charlie O’Donnell Sports Grounds, Cockhill Celtic Youths advanced to the semi final of the Ulster Junior Shield with a convincing win over Glencar Celtic. Cockhill were on top from the start  dominating possession without creating any clear chances. The first chance came on 17minutes when a PJ Doherty pull back found Darragh McDermott at the edge of the D. His well struck effort was parried away by Decky McDermott.Cockhill opened the scoring midway through the half after  Dean O’Donnell’s cross from the right was volleyed back across goal by Connor McDaid for Liam Bradley to score from close range. They doubled their lead just before half time when a Connor McDaid cross from the left was acrobatically volleyed to the back of the net from the edge of the box by Ryan McDaid. Glencar threatened after the break but when Pajo Rafferty advanced into the box, penalty appeals were waved away. Cockhill got their third on the hour when Ryan Downey’s crossfield ball found Conor Allen who held off a defender before poking past McDermott. To their credit, Glencar kept going and went close from a Liam Doherty header from a corner before Darragh O’Donnell went full length to top over a Graham Cullen shot.

Cockhill went close again on 85minutes when Donal Og O’Brien won possession high up the pitch but Darragh McDermott’s lob was just over. McDermott was out of luck again with the last big chance of the game, being denied by a brilliant reaction save from the Glencar netminder.

Cockhill Youths


Keadue Res 4

Aileach Res 2

Keadue Reserves are through to the semi finals of the Ulster Junior Shield after this good win over Aileach in tricky conditions on Saturday in Central Park. Despite the damp and the swirling breeze, both teams tried to play football and it was played at a good, intense pace throughout.  Keadue took the lead on thirteen minutes, when a free kick from Oran Fallon was well worked into the path of Aidan McHugh, who turned, shrugged off a defender and fired high to the roof of the net. Aileach came straight back into it and missed two good chances within a number of minutes, but deservedly equalised on nineteen minutes when Josh Boyle struck home well from ten yards. But  Keadue retook the lead on twenty one minutes, when, from an Oran Fallon corner, Jack Ward rose highest at the near post to head home. The home side were moving the ball about nicely now and were on top but Aileach again came close on thirty two minutes, when an inviting ball into the box by Kevin Boyle evaded the strikers. Keadue consolidated their strong position on forty five minutes, when another corner from Oran Fallon was met by Aidan McHugh with a near post header, a carbon copy of their second goal to make it three one at half time. Early in the second half, the home team seemed to be in control, knocking it around against a stiff breeze but on fifty five minutes, Aileach were nearly back into it only for a fine save by Aaron McCafferty at point blank range. However it wasn’t long before Aileach reduced the deficit when, from a long range free kick, it bounced awkwardly over the defence and keeper and into the net. Despite the closeness of the scoreline, Keadue seemed to weather the storm, with a few substitutions giving them extra energy up front but all the while the visitors were still dangerous and it wasn’t until injury time, that the home side sealed the tie  when Pauric Neely was on the end of a good passing move before taking aim and lashing it home in off the post . That was the end of the action, on what was overall, an entertaining game and for this young Keadue side, a sixth win on the bounce and a great boost to their confidence. For Aileach, a game effort from them after a long journey. Best for them were Caoimhin Lavery, Kevin Boyle and Emmet McCarron, while best for Keadue were Oran Fallon, Aidan McHugh, Aaron Neely and Dan Kerr.


Oldtown Celtic 4

Greencastle Youths 1

Oldtown Celtic welcomed Greencastle Youths to the Community Centre in Letterkenny and it was the home side who got off to a fast start. A quick one two was then smartly finished into the corner of the net by Drew Connolly. Greencastle Youths got an equaliser ten minutes later when good play from Conor Gillen and Evan Davenport released Davenport down the left and he hit a great drive that nestled in the far bottom corner.  But Oldtown retook the lead after  a long punt forward sent Tommy McLaughlin through who lobbed the on rushing Stephen Teles smartly. Oldtown capitalized then on a period of sustained pressure when they won the ball high up the pitch and played the ball through to Kevin McGrath who finished well past Teles.  Greencastle battled well and played  some nice football in periods but were up against a well drilled and experienced Oldtown side who defended fiercely. Greencastle were kept to a few half chances while Oldtown were dangerous from the long ball and counter attacks. Oldtown killed the tie off halfway through the second half when they won the ball high up on the left wing. The ball was crossed in to Kevin McGrath who took a touch just inside the box and fired it into the corner giving Teles no chance. 


Strand Hotel First Division

Rashenny FC 1

Clonmany Res 2

The visitors trailed at half time but recovered to score two second half goals and emerge with all three points. The first chance of note came early in the match when David McLaughlin’s cross into the goalmouth was met by Cormac Dillon but he could only send his shot over from right in front of goal. But a few minutes later the home side hit the front when  a Damien Friel cross found the head of McLaughlin and his flicked effort found the net. Mid way through the half, Clonmany should have equalised when a cross dropped close to the back post but Jake O’Donnell could not force the ball home. And another great chance arrived for the visitors minutes later but Aaron Porter in a one on once situation with keeper Gavin McLaughlin saw his effort go wide of  the target. Rasheney then had an opportunity to add to their opening goal but Shane Cregan, unmarked at the back post, headed over a ball delivered in by John Grant. Clonmany showed more urgency after the interval and equalised just three minutes in. A right wing corner was cleared out as far as Dylan McEleney and his well struck shot from 22 yards travelled through a sea of players and hit the back of the net. Rasheney responded and David McLaughlin’s powerful diagonal rising shot was brilliantly tipped over by Killian McCarron. From the resulting corner, Shane Gordon chipped attempt nearly sneaked in at the back post. For the visitors Aaron Porter surged away along the left and from close to the byeline his drive was saved at the near post by McLaughlin. Then O’Donnell headed a free kick back across the home goal but Darragh Porter just failed to connect. The winning goal came via a quick break up the field following a corner to the home side. The ball was hooked out of the Clonmany defence to Mark Doherty who sped through midfield before laying the ball off to Shane McCaul who drove low to the net to claim the victory.



Clonmany Reserves

Buncrana Res 1


The visitors were first to threaten om 15 minutes with Seamus McFadden`s shot comfortably gathered by Eoghain O`Doherty in the Hearts goal. On 29 minutes Liam Jordan had the first opportunity for the home side but his shot was saved by Conor O`Neill in the point goal. The home side had the best chance of the first half after a Keith Elliott shot parried by O`Neill and with Jack Soal about to pounce O`Neill flicked the ball off his toe. In the 43rd minute the visitors took the lead after McFadden`s cross fell to Kevin Kelly who slotted the ball past O`Doherty. The home sides response was instant from Soal`s corner the ball fell to Jordan and he volleyed past O`Neill to leave it all square at the break.

The second half was  a tame affair with Jordan having a chance on 60 minutes controlling the ball on his chest before firing in a shot that O`Neill saved. Jordan had another chance on 67 minutes with Thomas Adair picking him out with a through ball but once again O`Neill was up to the task saving his effort. The visitors had the final chance of the game on 90 minutes when left back Ross Nicholas ghosted past a few defenders but shot wide when well placed to hit the target. 


Carn Res 0

Redcastle United 1

Played In good conditions in St Patrick’s Park Carn had the first chance when Christy Doherty made a long pass up the right wing to Shay Fallon who rounded the defender and squared it for Dayton Cooke but he hit it over the bar from fifteen yards. Redcastle had a good chance on 24 minutes when Rory Hirrell broke on the right wing and crossed it for Darragh McConway who headed over the bar when well placed. Carn responded with  Michael McDermott finding  Cormac McLaughlin who shot low to the left and wide from outside the area. Redcastle broke the deadlock in the 42nd minute when Mark Bell broke on the right wing and squared it to Stephen Grant who slotted the ball past Carn keeper Kyle Harkin from twelve yards.  Carn started the brighter in the second half and had a great chance on 52 minutes when Tiernan Doherty made a pass from midfield to Christy Doherty who crossed for Mark Scott who shot low to the bottom right corner from twelve yards but  his effort was well saved  by Lee Barr in the Redcastle United goal. Carn had another great chance on 78 minutes when substitute  Conor Doherty  crossed from the left  for Scott who fired  low and wide from ten yards. Carn had another chance to equalize in the  88th  minute when Michael McDermott made a pass to from midfield to substitute  Shay McDaid who was unlucky to see his effort hit the post. Redcastle missed their final chance to double their lead in injury time when Shaun Curran broke on the right  and squared it for Stephen Grant who failed to hit the target from  fourteen yards. 


Inishowen Engineering Division Two A

Gleneely Colts 2

Cockhill Res 0

Cockhill were first to threaten when Niall Breslin got the better of the Gleneely defence and shot just narrowly wide of the right hand post on. Gleneely responded then  when Mark McGonigle did well in midfield and his pass to Billy McCann set him up  but he  shot straight at Lee McColgan when well placed. McCann had another effort midway through the half  but his free went straight at Lee McColgan again. Gleneely took the lead on the half hour after McCann collected a throw in from Mark McGonigle to roll the defender and unleashed a powerful finish to the top right hand corner from  twenty yards giving  McColgan no chance. Cockhill did have a few half chances but nothing came from them. Gleneely went two up on 69minutes when another Mark McGonigle throw into the box found Shane Diver and he acrobatically overhead kicked to the bottom corner from  eight yards. Matthew Doherty had a half chance but went wide. Then Tristan McColgan did well out on the right wing but he shot over from the edge when well placed. Gleneely managed the final period  with ease to record the victory.

Redcastle Res 2

Sea Rovers 6

Sea Rovers started well and went ahead after 10 minutes when a pass from Andrew Gallagher sent Ryan Doherty through on goals and he found the bottom corner from ten yards. Redcastle equalised after 5 minutes later  after a mix up between goalkeeper and defender resulted in the defender scoring in his own net. Sea Rovers went ahead again after midway through the half  when a corner from Daniel Gallagher was headed home by Ryan Doherty from eight yards. It was level again after 35 minutes with a brilliant strike from thirty yards  from Gary Kelly  which found the top corner giving keeper Mark McLaughlin no chance.

But  Rovers  began the second half well and retook the lead  after 50 minutes with a penalty after Ryan Doherty was fouled in the area, Andrew Gallagher scoring from the spot. They made it four two on the hour mark  when the Gallaghers combined, Andrew teeing up Daniel who scored low into the corner from twenty yards. Sea Rovers increased their lead on  75 minutes when a corner from Daniel Gallagher was tapped home from six yards by Ryan Doherty to complete his hat trick. Redcastle kept trying and when Darren Harkins cross was met on the volley by Dara Leech it was brilliantly saved by Mark McLaughlin in the Sea Rovers net. Sea Rovers scored their final goal in injury time when a free kick from Joey Holland was well saved by Oisin Quigley but Andrew Gallagher followed up to score the rebound.

Culdaff Res 0

Cockhill Colts 1

Played on Saturday night in Caratra Park these two teams cancelled each other for most of the first half. Culdaff had  a clear chance on 33 minutes after Tiernan McGeoghaghan released Matthew Mullarkey but he fired wide when well placed. The deadlock was broken on 55 minutes by the visitors after Gavin Doherty cut in from the left and unleashed an effort which Odhran Douglas got a hand to it but could not prevent it going in. The home side were unlucky then in the 71st minute when Mullarkey s chip beat Mc Colgan in the Cockhill goal but crashed off the bar. Culdaff pushed forward and both Dermot Diver and Matthew McGoldrick  had half chances cleared by the Colts defence. Cockhill almost caught the home side on the break when Paul McKinney broke clear but fired wide.


Aileach Youths 6

The match started off with both teams defending well before  Aileach took the lead on the half hour after QPS keeper Jamie Mc Colgan parried the ball  for Charlie Cambell to score. On the stoke off half time Aileach scored there second off the game from a corner  which was flicked into the net by Matty Mc Dermott. The second half started with Aileach getting a third from Aaron Clark Doherty  who quickly added a fourth.

QPS then burst into life scoring three goals in a ten minute spell with two from Marc Wallace and a third from joe Johnston. QPS pushed hard for a equaliser but got caught on the break for Paul Eyre to score for  the visitors. QPS tried hard to get back in the game but Eyre added a second goal to make  the final score six three to the visitors.

QPS Youths

Aileach Youths

Inishowen Engineering Division Two B


Glengad Res 4

Illies Res 3

Glengad started well and had all the possession pressing illies in their own half and it paid off and they took the lead after 5 minutes.A corner from the left swing in by Caolan Mc Colgan was headed by PJ McDaid  but  keeper Conor Doherty pulled off good save but the ball fell to  Stephen Doherty who fired through a crowd of players to the net.  They doubled their lead on 10 minutes after a cross field ball out of defence by Joe Doherty found Ryan Mc Laughlin who  controlled well and cut inside a defender to lay off to the inrushing  McDaid to slot home from edge of area . Illies didn’t give up and started to find more possession and got one back on half hour when Nathan Doherty picked up a defensive clearance out left and came across edge of area beating a defender to be one on one with keeper and had a composed finish low past Micheal Mc Laughlin.  They had an excellent chance to level in the 40th minute  when Caelan Whoriskey was put through but fired wide under pressure from defender. With first half coming to an end Glengad made it three one  after  Caolan mc Colgan intercepted a keeper pass and with keeper off line scrambling back he lobbed him . Glengad started the second  half well and keeper Doherty making two  excellent saves  firstly from Stephen Doherty  getting down low to turn a  Mc Colgan shot around post. Illies got a goal back on 70 minutes  when Oran Doherty raced through and when keeper Mc Laughlin made a great save low to his right  pushing ball away but Shane Devlin  dispossessed  a defender and fired home from 15 yards to the roof of the net. Illies  were level on 80 minutes when a corner in by Nathan Doherty was headed home at back post from six yards by Devlin. Glengad then had a lot of possession as they went looking for the winner sealed the points when Paul McGonigle converted a penalty awarded for handball.

Rashenny Res 2

Moville Res 5

Following an evenly matched first half and with both sides tied at one all at half time, Moville upped the tempo in the second half, created more chances and deservedly ran out winners. The visitors moved ahead after quarter of an hour when Mateuz Indyka’s ground cross from the right wing travelled across the six yard box, evaded keeper Davin McLaughlin before being touched home by Luke McFadden. After James Gillen’s drive from just outside the box ended up just wide, play swung to the other end and Keelan Doherty had a looping effort claimed by Andrew Bourke. Then Doherty and Caylum Long exchanged passes before the latter’s shot was tipped wide at the near post. On the 36 minute mark, Rasheney equalised when Shea Grant evaded some defenders to plant the ball into the left corner of the net. Further attempts at both ends saw Daniel McFadden’s shot from outside the box go wide while Grant had a drive parried and cleared. For the second half home keeper Davin McLaughlin and outfield player Sam Coyle exchanged places and soon both were in action. Luke McFadden brought a great reaction save from Coyle while McLaughlin found himself clear of the Moville defence and in on keeper Bourke who advanced to the edge of the area to make a brilliant claim. Moville took the lead when Coyle’s attempted clearance ricocheted against Danny Murphy and landed in the net. Moville were beginning to create loads of chances. Indyka’s low cross from the right wing was touched wide by Luke McFadden. Then Gillen made it three one  when he hit a scorcher from distance high into the net. Further goals from Daniel McFadden and Murphy moved the score on to five one. The home team tried to get back into the game and Eoin Fowley had a free saved by Bourke before Caylum Long pulled a goal back. Then Bourke prevailed in a one on one with Grant.Substitute  O.J. Cuffe shot wide after being set up by Long while Aidan Hirrell was just off target. The visitors failed to add to their tally despite Luke McFadden having two shots pushed over.