Match Reports Sunday 16th August

Jackie Crossan Premier Division    

Buncrana Hearts               2

Cockhill Youths                  2

This was a well contested local derby in great conditions at Castle Park  when the visitors raced into a two nil lead before being clawed back by the home side.

But failure to win  means the Hearts  title ambitions have been dealt a huge blow. The home side got off to the worst possible start in the opening minute after their defence failed to clear a free kick and Jack McDaid controlled and fired  low past Eoghan O’Doherty from inside the area. Buncrana should have levelled within minutes when Declan Fullerton s free was headed down by Shane Dillon but Gary Duffy fired into the side netting. Cockhill increased their lead midway through the half when Odhran O’Brien –Daly rose high to power a header to the net from Adam Mclaughlin’s cross. Buncrana upped the tempo at this stage with Shane Dillon firing over the bar from close range before they reduced the deficit on 37 minutes when Declan Fullerton converted a penalty after Mikey Friel had been upended. Before the break Aaron McDaid also went close for the Hearts but headed narrowly wide. Buncrana started the second half well and after a Keith McColgan cross Ben Bradley volleyed over when he possibly could have headed the ball. On 52 minutes they got back on terms after a superb ball from Dillon found Wesoloski on the left and his sublime cross was swept home by  Eoin Murphy from six yards. The game developed into a scrappy midfield battle then with few clear chances. Killian O Rourke had a free well saved by home keeper O’Doherty before at the other end Aaron McDaid’s effort was gathered by Liam McGonigle. Substitute Kevin O’Loughlin headed Murphy’s corner over the bar before O’Rourke received a straight red card to reduce the visitors to ten men. Cockhill had the final chance but Adam McLaughlin’s free was saved by O’Doherty.

Strand Hotel First Division   

Glengad Res                                    0

Redcastle United              7

The home side never recovered from the concession of two goals in the opening nine minutes. Ronan Hoy pounced on a loose ball inside the area to drill past Michael McLaughlin on five minutes. The same player doubled the visitors lead when he beat a defender on the edge of the area and fired  low past McLaughlin. Midway through the half Martin McCann added  a third when he controlled well and advanced to drill home from sixteen yards. Glengad responded and were unlucky after a Fergal Doherty effort was blocked on the line with appeals for handball waved away. McCann  and Harkin played  a neat one two on 51 minutes for the latter  to fire his second goal low past McLaughlin and make it four nil . Harkin got in on the act then when he latched onto a long clearance and lobbed the advancing keeper. Glengad kept battling  and spurned two good chances after Brian Doherty headed over before PJ McDaid fed Niall McColgan but his effort was well saved by Terry McColgan. In the closing minutes Joe McCauley fired a free kick to the top corner before Harkin completed his hat trick with a neat finish.

IFL   Fixtures   Sunday 16th August

Premier Division Promotion /Relegation Play off

Carn FC                     2         

QPS                            1

Played in humid conditions at Maginn Park  Carn had the first chance on 2 minutes after Michael McDermott played a superb pass into Cade Cook on the right hand side of the area but he delayed and was crowded out. The point replied on 17minutes with great work by Shea Lynch on the left and he laid the ball across to David Healy on the edge of the area but he fired over the bar. Brandon Browne’s low cross at the other end was spillied by Oisin Burke but Darragh McIntyre was alert to the danger  and cleared. Again the point responded with a Josh Boyle cross headed narrowly wide by Sean McColgan. Carn had a good spell midway through the first half with Burke punching away a Cian Burke cross to Shane Doherty but the keeper recovered to save Doherty s goalbound effort. A minute later  Cade Cooke pounced on a  loose ball on the edge of the area but drove over. The key moment of the first half came on 33 minutes when the Points Caolan McColgan outpaced a defender cut in and was upended for a penalty. McColgan picked himself up but saw his  spot kick brilliantly saved by Crossan flying to his left. The point finished the half the stronger with Boyle and McColgan both firing narrowly over.  The point were on top in the opening quarter of the second half  with Caolan McColgan racing  onto a ball over the top and when he tried to round Crossan the veteran keeper got a tough forcing him wide but McColgans shot on the turn drifted over the bar. In another race for the ball McColgan got in between defenders and from the right hand side of the area fired off a shot which Crossan saved diving low to his right. On 63 minutes McColgan again unleashed a shot from the edge of the area but again Crossan was equal to it. Against the run of play Carn broke the deadlock on 68 minutes after a Kyle Cooke free fell to  Will Quinn who stooped to head home from twelve yards. Ryan Kelly  then headed wide from a free kick before Carn doubled their lead on 84 minutes. A brilliant run on the left from Brandon Browne ended with a superb cross for Cade Cooke to head home  from six yards. But the point set up a grandstand finish with McColgans shot parried by Crossan for substitute Fionnbhar Harley to slot home. They missed a great chance on 90 minutes after an inswinging cross from the right by Darragh McIntyre was headed over by the unmarked Deaglan Bowen. Deep in injury time another McIntyre cross was knocked back across goal by Healy but eluded all as carn preserved their premier division status for next season.

Jackie Crossan Premier Division

Buncrana Hearts               0                     

Glengad  United                0

In this crucial league game this result was the last one either side wanted.  Predictably it was a tight affair with few chances at either end. Glengad created a good chance on 16 minutes when Stephen McLaughlin’s corner was headed over by John G McLaughlin. Midway through the half James Mckinney advanced from midfield but fired wide from distance. Buncrana replied and on 37 minutes a mis hit effort from Bart Wesoloski fell to Mikey Friel but he was denied by a superb save from Daniel Mullarkey. Glengad responded when McLaughlin fed McKinney but Eoghan O Doherty was equal to his effort. The second half was an even tighter affair. Ben Bradley for the Hearts fired wide  from twenty yards on 53 minutes. Then on 64 minutes a cross cum shot from Keith McColgan glanced off the face of the bar. Glengad had a good chance to snatch all three points on 78 minutes after a defensive mix up allowed substitute Patrick McDermott a clear sight of goal but he failed to hit the target.

Buncrana Credit Union Cup ½ Finals

Aileach FC                            4         

Greencastle FC                  1

This game began very evenly and on 10 minutes Greencastle midfielder Michael Henry fired a shot from 25 yards which failed to trouble Kyle Dougal in the home goal. Five minutes later Nigel McMonagle turned his marker on the edge of the box and Dougal did well to get a hand to his low drive from 15yards. The same player latched on to  a good through ball and again Dougal was called on to block  his goalbound attempt. Aileach steadied the ship after this and took the lead on 20 minutes  when Dean Curran overlapped down the left and crossed for Darren McMonagle whose 18 yard shot was parried by Dylan Doherty and Aaron Nash pounced on the loose ball to finish from close range. On the half hour the home side doubled their advantage when Nash converted a penalty awarded when Doherty pulled McMonagle down inside the box. It got worse for the visitors just before half time when a Gareth McGlynn free was turned home at the back post by the unmarked Dermot Doherty. The second half saw Greencastle up the ante and do all they could to find a way back into the contest but their efforts were thwarted time and again by Darren Gallagher and Shane McMonagle who were working tirelessly in front of the back three. A fourth arrived for Aileach 70 minutes when Darren McMonagle latched onto a McGlynn through ball and slid it past Doherty from eight yards. Greencastle got a consolation goal with eight minutes remaining after a right wing cross was headed powerfully home by Jason Dickson from six yards. The visitors finished the game with nine  men when two players got their marching orders for second bookings.

Cockhill Celtic Yths                       1

Clonmany Shamrocks                  3

Cockhill Celtic Youth suffered defeat against newly promoted Clonmany Shamrocks FC at the Charlie O’Donnell Sports Grounds earlier today in the semi-final of the Buncrana Credit Union Cup. Clonmany went a goal up inside five minutes when the home side gave away a soft corner and Damien Duffys delivery into the box was allowed to bounce and Gareth Bradley was on hand at the back post to score right footed past Liam McGonagle. Cockhill were slow getting settled as Clonmany chased and harried for every ball. Cockhills first chance of note arrived on 20 minutes when after an Adam McLaughlin corner was initially cleared his return delivery found Obhran O’Brien-Daly at the back post but his right footed effort hit the post and went wide. Cockhill were well on top at this stage but were caught with a sucker punch on 43 minutes when after Clonmany won the ball back on the edge of their own area a long punt up field was picked up by Shane McCaul and he raced clear of the covering defence to slide the ball past the advancing McGonagle for a neat finish low to the keepers left into the bottom corner.

The home side regrouped after the restart and caused a few problems but the visitors defence stood up to the challenge with keeper Patrick Harkin sweeping up anything his defence failed to deal with. Noone then missed a chance for the home side when he hit the side netting from inside the six yard box after a free from Adam McLaughlin. Michael Owen Doherty also had a chance for the home side  when put through but took too long and the chance was gone. Clonmany hit Cockhill again on the break when, on 55 minutes, substitute Jason Devlin rounded the keeper to side foot into the net past the outstretched left leg of the covering Conor Allen to put Clonmany three nil up. Odhran O’Brien-Daly got one back for the home side on 75 minutes when he shot high to the roof of the net from six  yards out after another delivery from McLaughlin. Cockhill had further chances to reduce the deficit but it was not to be. Clonmany march on to the final and Cockhill must regroup and finish out their league campaign with an away trip to Greencastle

Strand Hotel Division One    

Aileach Res                         1

Redcastle United              2

Play in perfect conditions on Saturday night, Redcastle got off to the perfect start within the first five minutes when a Ronan Hoy shot from the edge of the box was only parried by David McGeady into the path of Darragh McConway who scored from six yards. The game settled a little after this with Aileach having more possession but little penetration whilst Redcastle looked dangerous on the attack with Hoy and Murphy causing the Aileach defence problems.  On the hour Aileach a great chance following good play by Jordan McGeady who released Gareth McLaughlin but he fired wide from 10 yards.  Redcastle came close twice before the break, firstly Hoy got clear on the left and fired a shot across the Aileach goal which went inches wide, then on the stroke of half time Hoy crossed for Murphy who headed goalwards from six yards but McGeady made a remarkable save to push the ball past the post.

Into the second half and Aileach started the brighter and came close when James Wallace headed a corner from Chris McGarrigle just over the bar. On the hour, Mickey McCole produced an unbelievable double save to deny Paddy Curran.  A cross from Gareth McLaughlin was stuck goalwards by Curran and saved low by McCole and McCole recovered to somehow touch his follow up over the bar.  Aileach did get on level terms with 15 minutes to go when Gareth McLaughlins pin point cross was headed home at the near post by Paddy Curran.  As both teams pushed for a winner it would be Redcastle who found one when Alan Clarke crossed from the left and Murphy mis-kicked in the middle of the goal but the ball rolled back into his path to tap into the unguarded net and claim all three points.

Gleneely Colts       3         

Glengad Res                        0

Played in hot overcast conditions, the opening 10minutes was a cagey affair with a lot of passes going astray and both teams struggling to get a foothold in the game. Glengad had the first real chance on 15minutes when a ball by Fergal Doherty released PJ McDaid, but he shot over from twenty yards.Minutes later Gleneely had their first chance after  Dylan McDaids ball over the top released Vinny McKenna but he blasted over when well placed before  McKenna hit the outside of the post from a Dylan McDaid corner. Glengad were always dangerous on the counter attack with the long ball over the top. On 37minutes, good play from JG McDermott, released PJ McDaid on the left, he advanced and cut inside the Gleneely defence, but fired over Sean McGuiness in the home goal. On 55minutes  good interchange play between Christy McDaid and Ben Miller in midfield, allowed Jamie McLaughlin to test Oran Raymond 10 yards out but he smothered well.  McDaid then  broke from midfield, past three defenders but was denied by a good save from Raymond before  Ben Miller went on a mazy run from midfield  but shot wide of the left hand post when well placed. Gleneely’s pressure finally paid off when Ben Miller picked the ball up in midfield, fed Christy McDaid out on the right, he advanced into the area and fired across  Oran Raymond into the bottom left corner. Gleneely increased their lead with  Christy McDaid picking the ball up in midfield and unleashed an unstoppable thunder bolt to the roof of the net from just inside the half way line. On 80minutes Dylan McDaid had a free tipped over the bar   while Glengad replied with a  Conor McGonigle shot just over when well placed out on the left. Gleneely wrapped it up on the stroke of full time  after a good interchange on the right from Jamie McLaughlin to Christy McDaid, who played the ball over the top to Vinny McKenna who thumped home on the half volley from the right edge of the box to give Oran Raymond no chance

Inishowen Engineering Division Two  A  

Aileach Yths                        9         

Cockhill Res            3

Aileach started on fire and were four goals ahead in the opening twelve minutes. Gareth McElroy fired two good finishes in the opening five minutes before Matthew McDermott   advanced and fired to the roof of the net from the edge of the area. When Cockhill failed to clear a corner the ball fell nicely for Brendan Hegarty to slam home and make it four nil. Cockhill replied and a Sean Donaghey effort  was tipped over by Ryan Fox. But Aileach resumed in control and goals either side of half time from Gareth McLaughlin made it six nil. Cockhill kept battling and Donaghey got a goal back with a curling effort to the top corner before Mark Gillespie added a second from a tight angle. But McElroy added  a penalty and another  for a personal four goal haul and the final goal also came from a Jordan McGeady penalty after he had been fouled. Cockhill gained a late consolation when Paul Duffy also converted from the penalty spot.

Dunree Res             2         

Redcastle Res        2

After an even opening quarter Dunree took the lead on 22 minutes when William Doherty found Neil Moran who fired low to the corner from the edge of the area. Redcastle equalized on the half hour mark when a clearance by the home defence fell to Darren Davenport who volleyed to the roof of the net from twenty two yards. Redcastle then took the lead when Terry McColgan found davenport in the area and he finished well to the corner from close range. Dunree got back on terms after the hour mark when a great solo run by Conor Barrett  ended with fine shot to the bottom corner. The home side had a great chance to win it in the final minutes when an Owen Coombes volley flashed wide.



Inishowen Engineering Division Two   B    11am

Rasheney Res                     1         

Carrowmena FC                 1

In fine condition the home side started the better with Callum Doherty ‘s cross finding Ryan Doherty who was unlucky to see his effort crash off the post. Minutes later Aiden Bambrick unleashed a long range effort which was capably dealt with by Mark Doherty. In their first attack the visitors took the lead after the home defence failed to deal with a long ball allowing Art Parkinson to advance and fire low past Roger McGilloway from the edge of the area. Rasheney replied and Ryan Doherty ‘s free was parried to safety at full stretch by Doherty. Carrowmena upped the tempo and in a race for the ball Parkinson beat the advancing McGillowat but fired over the top. Gerard Gill then had a long range effort just wide of the post before the same player had an effort saved by McGilloway on the stroke of half time. On 55 minutes Joey Holland for the home side saw a free kick well turned away by Doherty. Midway through the half both teams were reduced to ten men after Holland and Parkinson had an altercation. Rasheney had another effort on 74minutes but Adam Kirkland s effort was blocked by a defender. The home side salvaged a point  in injury time when Cormac Dillon pounced to drill low past Doherty.

Illies Res                  3                     

Carn  Res                  3

Illies have one hand on the league title but will rue the opportunity they had as they led three one alone stage against their nearest rivals. The visitors got off to a  dream start on 3 minutes when Sean O Donnell burst onto a through ball to fire low past Kevin Gallagher. But Illies settled and got back on terms on 21 minutes when a  deep Shane Devlin corner was headed home by Patrick O’Connor. The home side took the lead then midway through the half after a Marty Coyle cross found Joe McLaughlin who controlled turned and  fired a superb effort high past Kyle Harkin. They increased their lead on 55 minutes after another corner was headed out to  Dominic Doherty who drilled a low shot through a crowd of players. But Carn got a goal back within a minute after Kyran Cantwell was upended in the area and Jason Doherty converted the spot kick. Illies responded and spurned a great chance with Gavin Doherty breaking clear but firing wide. Carn pressed and equalised on 82 minutes with Cantwell breaking on the right and his pinpoint cross was headed home by O’Donnell. In the final minute the visitors broke again with the same two players combining but this time O’Donnell fired wide from close range. Illies now need four points from their last two games.

Clonmany Res                    7

Culdaff Res                          8

Culdaff took an early lead in the second minute when Jack McLaughlin beat Clonmany’s offside trap and raced through to slide the ball to the net past Cillian McCarron. He made it  two nil to Culdaff in the 7th minute when he shot early from wide on the right, 25 yards from goal , beating a stranded Cillian McCarron. Clonmany pulled a goal back  a minute later  when they were awarded a penalty for a trip in the box and Michael Devlin dispatched it to the bottom left hand corner despite Dermott Callaghan’s dive.Culdaff scored their third goal in the 20th minute after Sean McGrenaghan controlled a pass on the right of the box and drilled a low shot into the bottom right hand corner of the net.Jack McLaughlin  then completed his hat-trick in the 27th minute when he connected with Conor Doherty’s cross from the left at the back post to send it to the net.Clonmany scored their second after  Michael Devlin closed down a Culdaff defender as they played it out from the back and strode through to score despite Dermott Callaghan getting a hand to his shot.Culdaff ended the half strongly and scored two goals in three minutes before the break, first Jack McLaughlin picked off a loose pass across the Clonmany backline and charged through to finish coolly past Cillian McCarron. With Clonmany rattled after this goal they conceded possession too easily before half-time ,allowing Sean McGrenaghan to race through and score their sixth.

Clonmany used half-time to regain their composure and started the second half brightly and had an appeal for a second penalty waved away in the 52nd minute ,whilst Culdaff played on and raced away for Jack McLaughlin to drive a shot to the net past Cillian McCarron to make it  seven two with Clonmany still protesting about the offence at the other end. Clonmany perhaps used this  to score the next two goals , firstly Thomas Comiskey lobbed Dermot Callaghan from twenty five yards out before then he got on the end of Michael Devlin’s cross from the left side of the box on the hour.Michael Devlin scored his third of the game in the 69th minute from the penalty spot after a collision in the Culdaff box. He drove this one low to Dermot Callaghan’s right despite Dermott guessing correctly it was too well placed to reduce the deficit to seven five.Culdaff  then won a penalty of their own two minutes later after Sean McGrenaghan was fouled in the box but despite McGrenaghans  effort being well placed Cillian McCarron spread himself well to get his hand to the ball to turn it round the foot of his left hand post. It was a short reprieve for Clonmany as Culdaff scored their eighth goal in the 72nd minute when they held onto possession from the resulting corner kick and worked the ball to Conor Doherty who curled a shot into the bottom right corner of the net ,with Cillian McCarron unable to see it until too late.Clonmany scored their sixth in the 85th minute when Mark Kelly set up Michael Devlin for his fourth of the match with shot from  eleven yards out beating  Callaghan.In the final minute Clonmany scored their seventh from a David McGonigle corner from the right was headed to the net by Keane Devlin to end this free scoring affair.