Match Reports Sunday 15th May

Inishowen Football League Fixtures  2021-22

Tuesday  10th May  

Inishowen Engineering Division Two  A 

Hearts Res clinch league title at the third attempt.

Sea Rovers 1

Buncrana Res 2

At the third time of asking Sean Tolleys Buncrana Hearts Reserve  side clinched the division two A title with a hard fought win over Rovers at a windy Gortnamullin on Tuesday evening.

After dissappointments at home to Rasheney and Carrowmena they secured the points they needed against Rovers. Sea Rovers played with the wind in the first half and enjoyed a fair amount of possession although goal scoring chances were few and far between. The one real clear  chance for Rovers came on the 19th minute when a fine ball from Tiarnan Stevens found Adrian O Connor who  advanced to fire low past Oran McBride in the visitors goal. Buncrana defended heavy against the wind but Rovers just couldn’t add to scoresheet. Buncrana with the wind dominated the second period but had to wait until the 57th minute to get back on terms when Paul McDaid fired a superb effort to the top corner from twenty five yards past Ben Collins. They continued to press with Stephen McHugh going very close before another piledriver from McDaid just cleared the bar. They struck for the winner on 83minutes after a Jack Soal driven cross found Liam Jordan unmarked at the back post and he slotted home via the post from close range. They went close again late on after McHugh created  space only to see his well struck effort clip the post.

Wednesday 11th May 

Knockalla Caravans Senior Cup

Aileach overcome nervy ending

Aileach  FC 4

Kildrum Tigers 3

The first 20 minutes of this game was a very tight affair with a lot of play condensed into the middle third and neither keeper overly troubled. The home side were first to show on 21 minutes when a Darren Mc Monagle corner from the left was palmed down by keeper James Mc Nulty to Mark Mc Elhinney but his over the shoulder effort from  six yards just flew over the bar. Kildrum responded and Luke Toland found space in the box but he scuffed his effort wide of Darragh  McLaughlins goal. On 38 minutes Aileach took the lead when Aaron Nash pounced on a poor back pass and advanced before finishing well inside Mc Nultys right hand post from twelve yards. The home side should have doubled their lead on the stroke of half time when Shane Mc Monagle broke down the left and crossed for Aaron Nash but his effort from six yards flew over the bar. The second half was about six  minutes old when the home side did double their lead when Thomas McMonagle and Shane McMonagle combined to find Caolan Doherty in space on the right side of the box and his low cross was turned home by Gavin Doherty from eight  yards. Number three came along  minutes later after Caolan Doherty again got down the right and floated a high ball for Shane McMonagle to power a header low past Mc Nulty. With 15 minutes remaining Kildrum pulled one back when a long clearance was latched onto by Kevin McHugh and he drew the keeper before finishing high to the net from ten yards. With 10 minutes left Aileach restored their three goal advantage after Thomas McMonagle played a fine through ball for the run of brother Shane who advanced before finishing right footed to the bottom corner from  fifteen yards. Aileach emptied the bench at this stage and with Kildrum pushing everything forward they grabbed a second when the ever dangerous McHugh curled a fine effort high past McLaughlin from the edge of the box. Aileach’s next attack they were awarded a penalty when Caoimhin McFeeley was taken down inside the box. Caolan Doherty converted the spot kick but referee Warren Harvey adjudged that he had double touched the ball when slipping while taking the kick and awarded a free out. This gave Kildrum some hope and they pushed everyone up and grabbed an unlikely third when Jacob McDaid got in around the back of the Aileach defence and fired in off McLaughlins right hand post. Time was almost up at this stage but Kildrum still had one last chance to send the game to extra time but Darren Gallagher produced a fine block to deny Brian Breslin what would have been a sensational equaliser. The home side were relieved to hear the final whistle which sees them advance to play Bonagee United in the Knockalla Caravans Cup Final. 


Sunday 15th May  

Inishowen Engineering Division Two  A 

Sea Rovers 3

Carrowmena FC 1

Rovers started this game well and had the two best chances of the opening half. Firstly Daniel Gallagher found space on the edge of the area and his well struck effort was saved by Kyle Dougal. Then before the break Dougal was alert to gather Damien Wards goalbound effort as the half ended scoreless. Rovers took the lead on 55 minutes when they  were awarded a penalty for handball. However Tiernan Stevens spot kick was superbly saved by Dougal but Ward reacted first to square the loose ball to Andrew Gallagher to slot home. Minutes later they added a second after good interplay between Shay Rodgers and Andrew Gallagher resulted in Gallagher firing low past Dougal. Carrowmena rallied and  were also awarded a penalty for handball which Ryan McDermott converted . Carrowmena pressed hard in the closing stages but it was rovers who sealed the points in the 88th minute after Rodgers fed Liam Gallagher who threaded a perfect pass into the path of Oisin Hasson   who fired to the roof of the net.