Match Reports Sunday 14th November

Sunday  14th November 

Buncrana Credit Union Cup First Round 

Cockhill Youths 6


Premier division Cockhill Celtic  Youth ran out convincing winners over QPS in this Buncrana Credit Union Cup tie at the Charlie O’Donnell Sports Grounds earlier this afternoon.

QPS will be disappointed at the final score line as they were well in the game until the 23rd minute when Cockhill blitzed them with three quick goals in success. On 23 minutes Shane Anthony Doherty exchanged passes with Adam McLaughlin (Wanish) in the left channel for the latter to wriggle his way to the by-line and cut back the ball across the 6 yards box for Jack McDaid to side foot the ball past the helpless Conor McColgan from close range. The home side added number two on 26 minutes Cockhills Ryan McDaid won a challenge in the right back area to pass forward to Jack McDaid who turned and played a delightful through ball for Adam McLaughlin to run onto and the midfielder done the rest by rounding the advancing McColgan and passing the ball to the empty net from 10 yards. Number three was added two minutes later when young forward Shaun McCallion picked up a pass from Daniel Doherty and beat a covering defender inside the area before shooting right footed low to the net past the keepers outstretched left had. QPS still kept plugging away with both David Healy and Josh Boyle posing a threat when in possession. QPS were awarded a penalty on 42 minutes when former Cockhill player Darragh McDermott was brought down inside the area but much to the relief of the home team McDermott blazed the ball over the bar from the spot. The second half started sloppily with both sets of players giving up possession of the ball cheaply. QPS had a decent chance on 50 minutes when Deaglan Bowen crossed from just inside the Cockhill half from the right back position caused confusion in the home defence but Josh Boyle was unable to trouble Eoin Colhoun in the Cokhill net. Cian Downey added number four for the home side on 60 minutes when he shot low to the net through keeper McColgans legs from 12 yards at an angle after a McLaughlin free was blocked by the QPS wall. David Laird added a fifth for the home side on 70 minutes when he volleyed home from close range after a cross from Shay McLaughlin. Cockhill keeper Eoin Colhoun produced an excellent save from QPS’s McDermott on 78 minutes when diving low to his left to keep the ball from creeping into the bottom corner. Cockhill wrapped up the scoring on 84 minutes when McLaughlin scored his second of the game from 25 yards out with a low drive to the corner of the net pass the keepers outstretched right hand.


Dunree United 1

Culdaff FC 2

In an even first half the home side had the first chance when Kyle McDaid burst inside the area but fired into the side netting. Culdaff responded  and opened the scoring midway through the half after Bryan McCandless raced onto a ball over the top and finished neatly low to the bottom corner. Dunree had keeper Adam Harrkington to thank for keeping them in the game after two fine saves to deny McCandless and Aiden Cunningham. Before the break Conor Barrett unleashed an effort but visiting keeper Martin McLaughlin was equal to it. On the restart  Dillon Ruddys well struck shot was superbly parried by Harrington and Ryan Greene s follow up clipped the crossbar.Again Harrington was called upon when a defensive slip allowed McCandless in but the keeper advanced to narrow the angle and block well. Culdaff pressure told on 66 minutes when Greene rose highest to head home a Eugene McLaughlin corner and make it two nil. Dunree rallied and Tiernan Moran s shot was well saved by McLaughlin. The homeside set up a grandstand finish when they got a goal on 85 minutes after Liam Baldrick beat the advancing keeper to head goalwards and Evan Barry was first to force the loose ball home. Dunree pressed hard in the closing stages but the Culdaff defence stood firm.


Aileach FC 2

Buncrana Hearts 1

This tie of the round drew a large crowd to the lakeside venue and lived up to expectations. The home side had the first chance on 11 minutes after Dean Curran advanced on the left and his cross was well controlled by Darren McMonagle but he fired just past Eoghan O  Doherty’s left hand post. The hearts replied and when a corner broke on the edge of the area Darrach O Connors effort was inadvertently blocked by one of his own players before the home defence cleared.  The visitors broke the deadlock on the half hour mark when Kieran McDaid broke onto a ball over the top on the right and crossed for Bart Wesolowski to drill home at the back post. But the home side equalised five minutes later after a good move ended with Aaron Nash feeding the overlapping Gavin Doherty and  his deep cross was slotted home from six yards by Shane McMonagle. Just before the  break Thomas McMonagle saw a twenty five yards free just clear the bar with O’ Doherty  seemingly stranded. Both sides had chances in the opening five minutes of the second half. Firstly the visitors  Bart Wesoloswski had an effort blocked on the line by Mark McElhinney before being cleared. At the other end Gavin Doherty and Caoimhinn McFeely combined to release Ethan Canning buthis weffort was well parried away by O Doherty with Nash failing to get on the end of the rebound. An error then in the home defence allowed Kieran McDaid  in behind the home defence but his effort was well saved by Darrgh McLaughlin. Aleach struck for the winner on 72 minutes fater Nash and Canning combined on the left to feed Gavin Doherty whose first time pass found Darren McMonagle and he fired low past O’Doherty. Buncrana pressed in the closing stages, forcing a few corners but could not fashion a clear chance to force extra time.


Greencastle FC 6

Carn FC 1

Greencastle began on the front foot with Nigel McMonagle laying the ball off to Nathan Harkin who fired just wide  Carn replied and when Cade Cooke broke on the right his low cross was well cleared by a home defender with Christy McLaughlin lurking. McMonagle then had an effort saved by Kyle Harkin in the home goal before Greencastle broke the deadlock on 16 minutes. Harkin saved well from a Christy Hegarty header but  Jack Coyle then evaded a couple of challenged before drilling home. They made it two nil just after the half hour after a quick break saw Shea McLaughlin unleash an effort which Harkin parried well but James Henry clamly slotted home from eight yards. Six minutes later it became three nil after Hegarty had an effort well saved but when Shea Mc Laughlin returned the ball into the area Mc Monagle was on hand to bundle the ball home from point blank range.  Carn rallied and reduced the deficit on the stroke of half time when Christy McLaughlin cooly converted a penalty  which was hotly disputed by the home side. But Greencastle regained their three goal cushion within minutes of the restart when Coyle beat a defender and squared for McMonagle to sidefoot home from twelve yards. They made t five one on 65 minutes when they were awarded a penalty after Hegarty had been upended. McMonagle s spot kick was superbly saved by Harkin but Coyle was first to the rebound and fire the loose ball home. Carn replied and Cade Cooke fired one effort into the side netting before drawing a good save from Patrick Quigley with the other. A quick break from the home side on 73 minutes saw Coyle denied by keeper Harkin but  Coyle clipped the loose ball across for Hegarty to volley home the sixth. Coyle and substitute Ben Doherty were both denied by good saves from  Harkin before Carn had the last chance but Christy McDaids effort  was well saved by Quigley.


Clonmany Shamrocks 1

Moville Celtic 2

The opening half saw very few chances with defences on top for long periods. The visitors did open the scoring on 18 minutes after Michael McNaught was given too much space and room to unleash a sweetly struck effort to the top corner past Patrick Harkin from twenty yards. They could have doubled that lad a minute later after Conor Doherty intercepted a  pass and advanced on goal but his weak effort was gathered by Harkin. Clonmany came more into the game as the half progressed but failed to trouble Ryan Coyle in the Moville goal.  Clonmany started the second half well and Brendan Doherty had a shot well saved by Ryan Coyle in the Moville goal. On 64 minutes Jake Harkin found Shane McCaul whose effort was brilliantly tipped over the bar by Coyle. Moville responded and from a Conor Doherty corner Jack McConalogue s looping header drifted over the bar. On 71 minutes McNaught caught the home defence square to race clear and drill the ball low past  Harkin to fire Moville two ahead. The shamrocks responded and got a goal back on 86 minutes with Harkin unleashing a sweet twenty yards strike to the bottom corner but they could not force extra time.


Redcastle United 2

Glengad United 3

The visitors got off to a dream start in the opening minute after Conor Barrow broke on the right and crossed for Brandon Browne to slot past Michael McCole. The home side took time to settle but on 18 minutes Stephen Grant found space on the edge of the area but his effort just drifted wide. Glengad upped the tempo and Browne fired one chance wide before seeing another crash off the post.  Browne did make it two nil on 37 minutes  when again Barrow was the provider crossing for Browne to sidefoot home.  Glengad made another dream start to the second period on 47 minutes when a Seamus Doherty corner found the unmarked James McKinney to head past  McCole. Redcaste battled well and were out of luck when  Grant crossed for Ronan Hoy whose effort came off the post and his follow up was saved by Daniel Mullarkey. They reduced the deficit on 67 minutes when Cahir Mc Laughlin fed Shaun Curran who in turn found Chris O Donnell  to shoot low past Mullarkey. This spurred Glengad to respond and Stephen McLaughlin cut in from the right but fired just wide. At the other end a dangerous cross from Grant was superbly cut out by John McDaid and the danger averted. The home side gotit back to three two on 88 minutes when McLaughlins corner found Darragh McConway unmarked to shoot low to the net. But  premier division Glengad saw the game out to advance.


Strand Hotel Division One   

Gleneely Colts 1

Glengad Res 2

Played in slick conditions which made passing difficult, the opening 15minutes was a midfield battle with both teams trying to get the upper hand. Glengad had two chances midway through the half, when a Mark Smith free into the box, just eluded Gary Kelly at the back post. The second chance fell to Nathan McConnelogue when he advanced on the right into the box and shot over when well placed. Gleneely took the lead on the half hour when Cahir O’Kane collected a Darragh O’Connor ball on the right, swiveled on the edge of the box and curled the ball into the top corner giving the Glengad keeper no chance. On 40minutes Gleneely were unlucky not to make it two when Billy McCanns shot from the edge of the box hit the left hand post and rolled across the goal for Glengad to clear. Glengad started the second half brighter with Nathan McConnelogue having a shot saved by Ciaran Gallagher. Glengad equalized mid way through the half when a ball in from the right found Nathan McConnelogue and he kept his composure to slot low across Ciaran Gallagher into the bottom corner. Gleneely then had a few half chances with  Billy McCanns goal bound effort was somehow cleared by a combination of the Glengad keeper and post, then Paul Gamble had a shot blocked by Mark Smith. Glengad  struck for the winner late on  after a misplaced header allowed Gary Kelly in on goal and he slotted low to Ciaran Gallagher’s right. The final chance fell to  the Colts Dylan McDaid but he blazed over from 10yards and  Glengad held on to record their first league win of the season.


Aileach Res 3

Greencastle Youth 1

The home side dominated the opening half but the visitors kept them at bay before a strong second half showing claimed their ninth successive league win. They began well with a Denver Kelly effort from a tight angle well saved by Evan Davenport  before Stephen Doherty ran onto a through ball from Killian O Rourke but fired past the far post. O Rourke then had an effort saved by Davenport before Anthony Doherty also failed to hit the target when well placed. On the stroke of half time Davenport produced a fine save to deny O Rourke and Kevin Wallace fired the rebound wide as the half ended scoreless. But the homeside made the break through  on 48 minutes with Kelly playing a through ball for Stephen Doherty to race clear and fire  across Davenport from twenty yards to the bottom corner. Greencastle switched Davenport to attack then with Brendan McClenaghan taking over in goals and following a corner Davenport poked home after a goal mouth scramble. Midway through the half Aileach regained the lead when Stephen & Anthony Doherty played a one two for the former  to cross to Darren Bradley who sidefooted home. In a carbon copy move  Stephen Doherty and Kyle McCann then combined for Dohertys cross to be swept home  by O Rourke this time and make it three one. Greencastle had a late chance after a quick counter attack but Mark Murray fired over. The final chance fell to the home side  but Anthony Doherty was unlucky to see his effort crash back off the post.


Inishowen Engineering Division Two   

Rasheney FC 4

Dunree Res 1

Dunree had an early chance when Sean Doherty saw a twenty yards effort well saved by Greg Doherty in the home goal. Rasheney then got a grip on the game and Charlie Doherty twice failed to hit the target when well placed. On 21 minutes a Callum Long corner fell to Doherty but his goal bound effort was cleared off the line by Sean Doherty. Rasheney pressure told when they made the break through minutes later with Shane Cregan s cross flicked home by Doherty from ten yards. An error in the visitors defence then allowed Cormac Dillon to double the lead on 27 minutes. The home side  continued to press and made it three nil at the break after Declan McLaughlin s free deceived everyone and landed in the bottom corner. Any thoughts of a Dunree comeback were dispelled within minutes of the restart  when Dillon broke on the right and crossed for Doherty to slot home and make it four nil. They created another good chance after Ronan Shovlin played a ball over the top for Conor McDaid to race clear but he fired wide from a good position. Dunree battled back and got a consolation on 77minutes when Sean Doherty converted a penalty awarded for handball. They had another late chance but Gary Breslin fired wide when well placed.


Clonmany Youth 1

Illies Res 3

The visitors took the lead on 17 minutes when a shay McCarron cross was flicked on by Liam O Connor for Shane Devlin to fire past Killian McCarron from close range. The remainder of the half was dominated by defences until Illies increased their lead in the 44th minute when a Gavin Doherty corner was powerfully headed home by Paul Devlin from ten yards. After a cagey start to the second half the home side got back into the game on 66 minutes when Tiernan McDonald and Callum Doherty combined  for the former to fire past Johnathan Noone in the Illies goal. Clonmany had all five subsitutions made when John McDaid  had to retire with a knock and Illies took advantage. Ronan Hegarty  capitalized on some sloppy defending to get in behind the home defence and fire past McCarron. But Clonmany stuck at it and when Mark Doherty crossed Gavin McDaid headed just over before Niall McCarron also failed to hit the target when well placed. Illies had the final chance and were unlucky to see Nathan Mclaughlins effort crash off the angle of the post and bar.


Culdaff Res 2

Buncrana Res 3

Culdaff got  off to a dream start when they opened the scoring on 5 minutes with Oisin McLaughlin advancing and crossing for Dean Doherty to sidefoot home  from six  yards past Oran McBride. The visitors then equalised midway through the half after Kevin Jordan fired a penalty past Dermot Callaghan after he had been upended. Culdaff should have regained the lead before the break when after a good run and shot from Dean Doherty came back off the post to Noel McLaughlin but his follow up was saved by McBride. Play flowed from end to end on the restart with Michael Doherty firing just wide for the visitors before at the other end a John McLaughlin effort broke to  Oisin McLaughlin who fired over the bar. A scramble in the home area saw Jack Soal poke just  past the post before Callaghan made a good save to deny Michael Doherty. Buncrana took the lead on 68 minutes when a good run and cross from Soal ended with the unmarked Hugh McGonagle slotting home at the back post. They increased their lead Jordan converted  his second spot kick of the game low  to Callaghans right hand side after Michael Doherty had been upended. Culdaff rallied and got a goal back on 88 minutes after Taylor Bonner dispossessed a defender and unleashed an effort which McBride parried but substitute Zach Conlon pounced to drill the loose ball home. But the visitors saw the game out  to claim the points.


Sea Rovers 2

Cockhill Res 4

Rovers recent good form came to an end with a slightly surprising defeat at home to Cockhill. Cockhill took the lead when Mark Gillespie found space inside the area to drill home from ten yards. Rovers suffered a blow near half time after Oisin McGonagle was redcarded but they defended well and kept the visitors out until half time. Rovers reorganised and seemed settled with some fine play from Damien Ward in midfield who  put a fine through ball into Andrew Gallagher who made no mistake in beating the Cockhill keeper  to level things up. Cockhill pushed back and regained the lead after  a fine ball in from Cockhills Luke Bradley found the head of James Mc Gonagle who beat the Rovers keeper Mark Mc Laughlin . A few minutes later Cockhills Mark Gillespie forced Rovers Keeper Mark Mc Laughlin into making a fine save. On 83minutes the ball fell to Cockhills Kieran Mc Daid whose shot bounced awkwardly  in front of the Rovers keeper  and made its way into the net to put the visitors three one up. A loose ball on the 18yard  was collected by Bradley who drilled a powerful low effort to the bottom corner to increase the visitors lead.Rovers however never gave up and a good run down the right side by Ciaran Doherty ended with  a fine cross in to Declan Mc Gonagle who slotted home from six yards  to make the final score four two. 


 Carrowmena FC 6

Carn Res 2

Carrowmena began well and Michael Henry  ran onto Tony McClenaghan s lay off but was denied by a superb Jamie Diver tackle. They opened the scoring on 14 minutes after McClenaghan collected a Ryan McDermott pass and drilled low past Daniel McDaid from just inside the area.  Carn responded and Dayton Cooke collected a reverse pass from Matthew Lafferty but saw his effort turned round the post by Kyle Dougal.  Good interplay in the 27th minute by the home side saw them increase their lead with Ronan Doherty finding McClenaghan to fire low to the corner. Carrowmena were on top at this stage  and McClenaghan, Doherty and henry all spurned good chances before McDaid made a superb save to tip Adam Harkins effort away to safety. On the stroke of half time the visitors got  lifeline when Lafferty was upended in the area  and Cooke converted from the spot. But the home side upped the tempo on the resumption and made it three one on 57 minutes after McDaid done well to parry McDermotts driven cross but Henry pounced to drill the loose ball home.  Two goals within a minute both from McDrmott put the game beyond the visitors. Firstly he fired a  superb twenty five yards effort to the roof  of the net  before finishing a Puaric Gillen cross low to the net from close range. Carn to their  credit battled well and got a goal back on 72 minutes  when Tiernan Kelly  fed Kyron Cantwell whose ball over the top found Conor McLaughlin and he executed a superb lob over the advancing Dougal. But the home side finished the scoring when Kevin McLaughlin released Ronan Doherty whose mazy tun into the area ended when he fired left footed past McDaid to make the final score six two.