Match Reports Sunday 14th May

Saturday    13th May

Clubman Shirts League Cup Final 

Buncrana Hearts 0

Greencastle   FC 1

In good conditions at Maginn Park Greencastle secured silverware this season with a  hard earned backs to the wall display in the second half to repel the league champions. Greencastle began well with James Henry firing over from twenty yards before Brennan Moore saw a free kick just clear the bar.

  Buncrana responded and Kieran McDaid was narrowly over with a effort from a tight angle before Jamie McDaid played  a neat one two with Kieran McDaid   but fired well wide. In the 17th minute a  superb Aaron McDaid run took him into the  area but his left footed effort was pushed behind by Conor Browne. Minutes later Greencastle took the lead  after Rory Kelly punched clear to the edge of the area where Michael Barr controlled  and fired the ball low to the bottom right hand corner with the Buncrana side appealing in vain for  a handball. Greencastle got on top at this stage and an inswinging Michael Henry corner found  Nigel McMonagle whose half volley flew well over. On 42 minutes  James Henry fed Brennan Moore on the edge of the area and his effort was turned round the post at full stretch by Kelly.  Buncrana went close on the stroke of half time after Kieran McDaids low free kick was met by Ryan Doherty who shot narrowly wide.  Buncrana dominated  the second half and on 50 minutes created their best chance after a superb crossfield pass  from Aaron McDaid found Jamie McDaid clear on  the edge of the area  and he  lifted the ball over Browne in the Greencastle goal but over the bar. Then a  Calvin Gallagher ball over the top found substitute Bart Wesolowski  but his shot was easily gathered by Browne at the base of his post. Greencastle ‘s only attempt  on goal came after the hour mark after good possession ended with James Henry firing over from twenty yards. Buncrana resumed their onslaught without creating clear chances and  when a quick free  released Adam Curran on the left  his pull back found Jamie McDaid but he  miscued and from the corner Gallagher headed over. The final chance to force extra time saw James Adair ‘s cross from the left deflected behind at the back post as Greencastle held on to secure victory.



Man Of The Match

For Buncrana Ryan Doherty played a captains part and Aaron McDaid  was tireless in his efforts  while for the winners James Henry and DJ Canavan were excellent. But the award goes to Michael Barr who was a colossus at the heart of the Greencastle defence in repelling wave after wave  of Buncrana attacks and also scored the only goal of the game.





Buncrana Hearts


Sunday   14th  May

Inish Grass Division Two Shield Semi Finals  

Cockhill  Res 5

Carowmena FC 0

Cockhill started this game well with Dean O Donnells cross headed over by  Sean Bradley in the fifth minute. Minutes later they opened the scoring when an attempted clearance by keeper Michael  Noone  was charged down by Liam Bradley and the ball looped up over Noone and into the net off the post. Midway through the half Shane McLaughlin fed O Donnell who whipped a ball across the face of goal but there were no takers. Carrowmena first chance came after this when Adam Harkins effort  from the edge of the area was gathered by Darragh O Donnell. They created another chance after a well worked free on the left ended with Killian Dougal heading wide when well placed. But Cockhill regained the initiative and after a Dylan McDaid effort was blocked the ball fell to PJ Doherty whose cross found  Sean Bradley  but he failed to  direct his header on target. Cockhill  doubled their lead before the interval after McDaid skipped past a defender on the left and advanced into the area before drilling low past the advancing Noone to leave the home side two ahead at the break. Any hopes of a comeback by the visitors were dashed four minutes after the restart when a Ronan McLaughlin free kick was powerfully headed home by Dean O Donnell from ten yards. Gerard Greene and Liam Bradley were then both off target with good efforts . Cockhill made the game safe with their fourth goal when McDaid broke the offside trap and squared for Kieran McElroy to slot home.  Carrowmena were denied a consolation after Harkin ‘s close range effort produced a brilliant reflex save from O’Donnell to keep the home goal intact. Cockhill then added their fifth after a good run and cross from McDaid allowed Shane McLaughlin to slot home from close range.

Carn Res 2

Sea Rovers 1

In the opening exchanges both sides defended well with Sea Rovers enjoying a lot of the early possession. After 15 minutes Carn had the opening chance when Conor McLaughins shot flew over the bar from 20 yards. Carn then took the lead midway through the half when Christy Doherty’s cross evaded everyone and curled into the top left corner of the Sea Rovers goal. The next fifteen  minutes were midfield battles with both sides cancelling each other out. However five  minutes before half time Sea Rovers began to enjoy more of the ball in the Carn half without really troubling Daniel McDaid in the Carn goal. The second half started in the same vein as again it was Sea Rovers who started brightest. Declan McGonagle was unlucky to see his 20 yard looping volley go just over the Carn crossbar. Carn got a foothold of the game again and doubled their lead on 67 minutes. Cormaic McLaughins pass fell to Dayton Cooke who controlled a bouncing ball to rifle a volley into the top left hand corner of the net. The home side were on top at this stage and efforts from Shay Fallon and Tiernan Doherty came close to stretching Carns lead. With the game in injury time, Sea Rovers threw all they had at Carn. A precise cross from Andrew Gallagher found Keelan Doherty who steered the ball past McDaid with a diving header from ten yards. This meant it was a nervy last couple of minutes for the home side  but they held on to win and advance to the shield final against Cockhill Reserves.


Inish  Engineering  Division Two    B     

Aileach Youths 1


The opening period of the game was a close contest with a lot of the play in midifled and defences on top.  The home side had the first chance midway through the half after Dillon McGrory released  McDermott but McColgan in the point goal saved well. QPS replied and opened the scoring in the 35th minute  after a Daniel McMenamin corner was not cleared by the home defence and Aaron Scott slotted home. Aileach respondedand got back on terms on the stroke of half time after McGrory fed Dermot Doherty on the right and his cross was slotted home from six yards by Ethan O Toole. QPS started the second half on top and Cillian McEleney had an effort well saved by Dylan Porter. The visitors regained the lead when a McEleney free deflected off Aileach defender and former QPS player Wallace. Aileach pressed in the closing stages and Paul Eyre had an effort saved by McColgan as the visitors claimed the points.

Inish  Engineering  Division Two    A  

Rashenny  FC 2

Cockhill Res 1

Played on Tuesday evening  Rashenny ensured the league title would be a winner take all affair with Carn Res next week  when they secured three points against a Cockhill side who will feel they should have got something from the game.  The home side got a dream start  seconds after the kickoff when a Damien Friel ball over the top released David McLaughlin  to race clear and shoot low past Darragh O Donnell. Cockhill responded with a Tiernan Moran effort clipping the crossbar  but while they had a lot of possession it was Rashenny who had the chances.  Friel shot wide when well placed before Tommy Doherty miscontrolled McLaughlins cross and the chance was lost. Friel then released McLaughlin  but again he failed to hit the target. Cockhill replied and equalised just before the interval when Liam Bradley controlled on the edge of the area and curled a superb effort past Gavin McLaughlin. Things were a lot tighter in the second half and midway through the half Cockhills Mason McDaid ‘s free fell to Bradley well placed centrally but he fired wide. A Ronan McLaughlin free for the visitors then came off the wall and shaved the post. Rashenny broke in the 75th minute when Cormac Dillon raced into the area and was upended allowing Friel to fire the spot kick low to O Donnells right. Cockhill pressed hard in the last ten minutes but Shane Gordon and John McLaughlin stood firm to ensure Rashenny claimed the points and set up a showdown with Carn .