Match Reports Sunday 14th January

Jackie Crossan Premier Division

Buncrana Hearts            5

Greencastle FC               2

There was a quiet opening to this game but it exploded into life with four goals in a twenty minute spell. Greencastle stunned the home side in the 18th minute when after a corner fell to Nathan Harkin his cross was headed home by Shea Mclaughlin.

Buncrana repleid and in succession Matthew brown and Conor Doherty had efforts blocked for corners. From Kieran McDaids third corner the ball broke for Brown to fire past William O’Carroll  from eight yards. But on 29 minutes the visitors regained the lead when Seamus Mclaughlin cut inside from the left and drilled a low shot past Taylor Clarke and in off the far post. Again the hearts replied  with a kevin O’Loughlin header coming off the post to Aaron McDaid whose follow up crashed off the bar when he looked destined to score. The home side did get back on terms when O’Loughlin headed a Kieran McDaid corner across goal for Brown to pounce and drill home from five yards. McDaid  had the final chance of the half but he fired straight at O’Carroll after a mazy run. Buncrana upped the tempo after the break and dominated the game with Eoin Murphy glancing a header wide from McDaid’s corner on the hour. They took the lead minutes later with a  stunning effort from Kieran McDaid who collected a Jamie McDaid pass and curled a brilliant effort past O’Carroll. They made it four two then on 75 minutes when Kieran McDaids free found Murphy who powered a header past O’Carroll from five yards.  They sealed the points after Jamie McDaid dispossessed a defender and crossed for Kieran McDaid to slide the ball low past  O’ Carroll and complete the scopring.


Clonmany Shamrocks             2

Moville Celtic                            0

Clonmany dominated the opening half and Morgan Murray fired over before the same player laid the ball back to paddy Doherty whose effort was blocked by Evan Hudner but Jason Devlin pounced to slot home in the 11th minute. They continued to press with Shane McCaul  denied by Hudner before Matthew Mclaughlin fired over when well placed. The final chance of the half came when McLaughlin crossed  but Devlin was of target with a bicycle kick. Clonmany started well on the resumption with Devlin seeing an effort saved by Hudner who also blocked an effort from Jake Harkin from close range. Moville with the win then pinned the home side back and created three corners in succession but failed to convert. Clonmany kept pressing and when Aaron Porter s cross found Paddy Doherty  his effort produced a s tunning one handed save from Hudner and when the ball was recycled to the same player he dragged his second effort wide. Moville were more in the game with Ryan McColgan seeing a header saved by Killian McCarron and Norbert Indyka firing a free kick from the edge of the area just wide. Clonmany finished the game much the stronger with Doherty heading wide when unmarked before Devlin saw his penalty kick superbly saved by Hudner low to his left.  Devlin  then controlled a Matthew Brennan free but fired wide before the home side added the crucial second goal on the stroke of full time. Jamie Coyle  collected the ball and crossed for Devlin to control and round Hudner before slotting to the unguarded net.


Cockhill Celtic                1

Carn FC                          0

Played in cold and breezy conditions at the Charlie O’Donnell Sports Grounds, Cockhill started the game brightly with Adam McLaughlin going close on three minutes from Lee McLaughlin’s cross. In the sixth minute  McLaughlin’s switch of play found Brendan McLaughlin who controlled well but fired over. Cockhill took the lead on 10minutes when Adam McLaughlin won possession in midfield and drove forward down the right. His cross caused panic in the away defence and when the ball broke loose, Garbhan Friel swept home from eight yards. Brendan McLaughlin scuffed a shot on the half hour after great holdup play by Friel before Friel headed against the bar just before half time after a great run and cross from Brendan McLaughlin. The second half was a very scrappy affair with no clear cut chances. Carn sat back, defending well, with Cockhill unable to break them down. The away side’s gameplan almost worked to perfection as they threatened an equaliser late on but some poor set piece delivery meant the chance they needed never arrived.


Illies Celtic            1

Aileach FC            0

The home side began well and created a couple of good chances in the early stages. Firstly Shaun McCallion broke clear and pulled the ball back for  Paul Duffy but his shot was deflected over the bar. Another McCallion cross then found Dominick Coyle  who was unlucky to see his first time effort crash back off the post. Aileach responded midway through the half when Dermot Doherty crossed to Darren Bradley who side footed wide when well placed. Illies then had a half chance after a deep cross saw Liam Doherty head over. On the stroke of half time Aileachs Gavin Doherty advanced into the area and squared for Keith McColgan who drove over the bar. Illies got the match winning goal in the 55th minute when a brilliant cut back from Liam Doherty into the path of brother Paul saw him drill low past Dylan Porter from twelve yards. Aileach upped the tempo then and Gavin Doherty fired over before a Thomas McMonagle free crashed off the underside of the bar before being cleared by Johnathan Noone. On the break Illies almost added a second after McCallion crossed for Patrick Curran but his effort was saved by Porter. In the final minute Gavin Dohertys ball into the area saw a McMonagle header sail over the bar.



Strand Hotel First Division

Clonmany Res                     1

Carn Res                               2

Carn started off the game brightly and took an early lead after 14 minutes when Dayton Cooke floated a ball into the Clonmany six yard box which was headed home by  Matthew Smith. Clonmany responded well and a Tiernan McDonald effort from a corner was well held by the Carn keeper Kyle Harkin. On 35 minutes Clonmany got themselves level. A mazy run from Jake O’Donnell ended in the Clonmany forward placing his shot into the top right corner of the Carn goal from eight yards out. The half ended one all  with both sides well in the game. After a slower start to the second half Carn began to regain control of the game. They spent long periods on the ball but found it difficult to break down a well organised Clonmany defence. Carn did finally regain the lead when Christy McDaids left footed in swinging cross was blocked and fell to Mark Scott who volleyed the ball low into the corner. Moments later substitute Shay Fallon nearly made it three after he got on the end of a through ball before beating two men only to see his shot well saved by the feet of Micheal Devlin. Clonmany kept themselves in the game with a strong defensive unit and had two efforts from distance from Mark Doherty saved by the Carn keeper Harkin. The final chance would fall to Carn when Dayton Cooke slipped Christy McDaid in but his shot from the edge of the box was saved from Devlin.


Greencastle Youths                      0

Culdaff FC                                        4

In blustery contitions at Chapel Lane it was Culdaff who struck first fifteen minutes into the game. From a Greencastle attack Culdaff broke forward down the left. A great cross to the back post was met by Keith Norris who cut it back for  Brendan McLaughlin  following in to tap home.  Ten minutes before half time new signing Stephen Teles kept Greencastle in it with a brilliant double save. First save from a one on one then got up quick enough to divert the follow up shot away.Teles followed that up with a fine top corner save from a very well struck Culdaff free kick from twenty five  yards by McLaughlin .Culdaff scored their second from another break away down the left just before half time. The ball being squared on the edge of the box for Michael Coyle to finish well into the corner. Culdaff effectively killed off the game moments into the second half when the Greencastle defence switched off with an offside shout. But the Culdaff player didn’t effect the play and left Mclaughlin  coming from an onside position to score with acres of space.Greencastle nearly got a goal back from a Ben Doherty cross with  Jamie McGeoghan powering a header just over.Greencastle finally started to get going late in the game  with Evan Davenport and Jamie Coyle having a few chances but failing to take them.Culdaff added a fourth goal against the run of play when with Greencastle pushing forward Jamie McLaughlin rolling it in at the back post following a good counter attack from Culdaff. In the end the experience of Culdaff proved too strong against a youthful Greencastle Youths.


Dunree United                    1

Buncrana Res                      2

The home side broke the deadlock in the 11th minute after Bernie Doherty flicked the ball on for Gerry Farrell to race clear and drill low past Aaron Daly in the visitors goal.  Buncrana were always dangerous on the break and Michael Doherty broke on the right and cut along the byeline before his dangerous cross was intercepted by Aaron Harkin. The visitors equalised on the stroke of half time after the home defence failed to clear and Eoin McNamee swivelled  and finished well to the corner from twelve yards. In the second half Buncrana threatened first with Bart Wesolowski delaying his shot which was blocked by Harkin. Dunree responded and Bernie Doherty had a clear sight of goal but could only shoot straight at Daly when well placed. The visitors then took the lead on 72 minutes when a mazy Liam Jordan run took him past two defenders before squeezing the ball home from a tight angle. Dunree  pushed hard for an equalizer in the closing stages but the home defence stood firm to claim the win.


Redcastle United               1

Cockhill Youths                  1

The visitors were first to threaten in the second minute when Paul Mullan s cross found Oisin Crawford who fired just over the bar. Redcastle responded and when a Shaun Curran free was parried by Dean O Donnell it fell to Lee Barr who drilled just wide. Redcastle opened the scoring on 21 minutes after a Mark  Bell low driven effort was dummied by  a team mate and flew past the stranded O’Donnell. The home side went close again when Cahir Mclaughlin advanced on the right and crossed for Bell who fired over the bar. Cockhill responded before the break with Mullan finding Liam Bradley who crossed for Crawford but again his effort sailed over the bar. The home side had the first attacking threat of the second half in the 54th minute after McLaughlin crossed for Darragh McConway but he could not direct his effort on target. Cockhill replied with Crawford crossing for Bradley whose first time effort went just past the post. Midway through the half Cockhill got back on terms when Mullan crossed for Darragh McDermott to head past Michael McCole. There was a lull in the game then until the 80th minute when Lee Barr  fed Shaun Curran who shot just over the bar from the edge of the area. The final chance fell to the home side on 87 minutes after a Stephen Grant  cross found McConway but his effort flashed wide.


QPS                                        0

Aileach  Res                         2

The home side had the first chance of the game in the 10th minute after John McCluskey slipped the ball through for Seamus McFadden but he failed to get enough power on the shot to trouble David McGeady in the Aileach goal.Midway through the half the visitors replied with a Josh Boyle effort well held by Conor O’Neill. Aileach took the lead then before the break when Caoimhin Lavery collected a clearance and unleashed a brilliant volley to the top corner. The visitors started the second half well and when Boyle beat the offside trap he fired just the wrong side of the post.  They  increased their lead on the hour mark when Lavery broke clear and executed a superb  chip over the advancing O’Neill. The point battled hard to try and get back into the game but the Aileach defence stood firm to claim the points.


Inishowen Engineering Division Two

Glengad Res                        2

Culdaff Res                          0

The visitors started this game well and created their first chance in the 20th minute from a Matthew McGoldrick corner which saw Oisin McLaughlins header cleared off the line by Brendan Doherty. They went close again when Niall Mclaughlin cut inside a defender but saw his effort from the edge of the area turned around the post by Seamus Houghton. Culdaff had another good chance before the half hour mark when Bill Humes cross was met by Oisin Mclaughlin who was denied by Houghton and Conor McColgan fired the rebound wide of a gaping goal. Against the run of play the home side broke the deadlock on 39 minutes when Stephen Doherty evaded a tackle and advanced to the edge of the area to unleash an effort which squeezed past Mark Smith in the visitors goal. There were fewer chances in the second period with defences on top . On 75 minutes the home sides PJ Mc Daid volleyed a Christopher Doherty crossfield pass over the bar. The home side sealed the points late on after a Caelan McColgan corner was met with a powerful diving header from Jayden McDaid giving Smith no chance.


Aileach Youths                   5

Cockhill Colts                      3

A youthful Aileach and an experienced Cockhill team served up a cracker in good conditions.  Cockhill flew out of the blocks and took the lead in the third minute when a Paul McKinney cross from the right was misjudged by the Aileach defence and Joe Doherty was left with the simple task of slotting home from six yards.  Aileach came more into the game with Aaron Doherty and Ciaran Bradley firing shots wide from the edge of the box.  Cockhill doubled their lead five minutes before the break when Karl Kelly crossed from the left for an unmarked Joe Doherty to place a header past Joshua Doherty in the home goal.

The second half started with Aileach forcing Cockhill back and from a corner on the right, Benny Hegartys shot was blocked into the path of Cormac Ferguson who fired past Declan Caldwell from ten yards.  Aileach were back on level terms on the hour when Noah Edwards fed the ball to Aaron Doherty and he forced his way past the Cockhill defence and slid the ball through Caldwell’s legs to level the score. Minutes later Aileach hit the front when Aaron Doherty’s corner from the right was deflected into the Cockhill net by an unfortunate defender.  With 15 minutes to go, Ciaran Bradley fed Charlie Campbell who spun his defender and smashed the ball past Caldwell from the edge of the box to put Aileach four two  ahead.  Cockhill pushed hard to get back into the game and Aidan O’Donnell came closest when he beat his defender and fired against the far post.  Cockhill did reduce the deficit to the minimum with five minutes to go when Aidan O’Donnell found space in the box and shot into the corner from fifteen yards.  Aileach were always dangerous on the break and completed the scoring in added time when Ciaran Bradley broke from the middle of the park and fed Aaron Doherty whose shot was well saved by Caldwell but Campbell was alert to the opportunity and finished into the unguarded net.  Cockhill pushed hard to get back into the game but Matthew McDermott and Cormac Ferguson were imperious at the back for Aileach.



Sea Rovers               5

Moville Res              1

Rovers broke the deadlock in the 20th minute when  Declan McGonagle split the visitors defence for Conor McCluskey to shoot low past Marcus Rule . Minutes later the visitors got back on terms when Mateus Indyka fired a long range wind assisted effort to the roof of the net past Mark McLaughlin.  But Rovers regained the lead just after the half hour with  a fine run and cross from Liam Gallagher converted by  McCluskey.  They increased their lead then with Daniel Gallagher firing a free kick to the  top corner from the edge of the area. Before the break they had another chance  but Gallagher was denied by a fine save from Rule. The second half was a quieter affair but midway through the half  Andrew Gallagher evaded two tackles and slotted home to make it four one.  Rovers were dominant at this stage and increased their lead in the 78th minute after a mazy run from McCluskey saw him finish well to complete his hat trick. Moville then went close with a Sean Gillespie header which was well saved by McLaughlin. The final chance fell to the home side with John Doherty unlucky to see his effort crash off the post.



Inishowen Engineering Division Two B

Rashenny ROVERS            1

Rashenny RES                     1

This local club derby saw Rovers begin well in the opening minute when a dangerous Leo McGlinchey cross was well gathered under pressure by Sam Coyle. The Reserves hit back and when Caylum Long broke clear he was denied by a smothering Roger McGilloway save. But McGilloway turned villain midway through the half after he upended Long and the striker picked himself up to despatch the penalty low to the corner. Rovers went close to equalising before the interval after Peter Mclaughlin turned inside the area and fired just wide. Rovers got back on terms minutes after the restart when Illia Ahapii advanced and unleashed a superb effort from twenty two yards to the  bottom corner. The Reserves replied and when Long broke into the area he was denied by a superb Oisin Ward tackle. At the other end  substitute Caelan Doherty found McGlinchey who cut in from the left and fired into the side netting when there were better options available. The reserves then had a Kyle Doherty effort over the bar before Long was denied by a brilliant save from McGilloway from eight yards out. Rovers spurned a great chance to win the game in the 88th minute when Ahapii  ran onto Wards through ball but totally miscued when well placed in front of goal. The reserves then had the final chance when Long advanced into the area but Oisin Doherty this time saved the day with a superb defensive tackle.