Match Reports Sunday 13th March

Inishowen Football League Fixtures  2021-22

Sunday 13th March 

Jackie Crossan Premier Division   

Cockhill  Youths 3

Aileach FC 2

For the second time  this season Cockhill inflicted a three two defeat on Aileach to put a huge dent in their title ambitions.

Cockhill started brightly with a Jack McDaid effort parried by Darragh McLaughlin. They got the reward for their bright start on 4 minutes when Eoin Deery received the ball on the half turn in midfield and threaded a pass through for Jack McDaid to lift a delicate finish past McLaughlin. Aileach rallied with Darren McMonagle going close with a near post header.Helped by the breeze, Cockhill continued to dominate without creating any clear chances. Odhran O’Brien Daly went close with a far post volley from an Adam McLaughlin corner before doubling their lead on 33minutes when Adam McLaughlin found space in an inside right position before finding the far top corner with a precise finish. Aileach, as expected, started the second half on the front foot and were level within five minutes of the restart. A Gavin Doherty wind assisted cross found the far corner to halve the deficit before  the same player blasted home after McMonagle’s initial effort hit the bar.Aileach went close to taking the lead on 64minutes when a Jordan McGeady effort was superbly tipped over by a back pedalling Colhoun. 

Cockhill then struck for what proved to be the winner three minutes later when an Adam Mclaughlin free found its way to the back post where O’Brien-Daly bundled the ball home from close range. Colhoun was called on again to parry a McMonagle snapshot  and Aileach went close again on 85minutes when a Gavin Doherty effort after a scuffed clearance was gathered by Colhoun.Aileach had a great chance to equalise in injury time when Aaron Nash was through after a misjudged defensive header but Colhoun made a good smothering save.


Illies Celtic 0

Glengad United 2

Glengad started this game very well and dominated the opening twenty minutes. They took the lead on 11 minutes after Terence Doherty broke away on the right and when he crossed a defender slipped allowing James McKinney to hammer to the roof of the net.  Another good break from Doherty on the right saw his dangerous cross superbly gathered by Johnathan Noone at full stretch. Illies grew into the game on the half hour and Adrian Donaghey-Doherty saw an effort well saved by Daniel Mullarkey.  They created another dangerous situation after a Nathan Doherty cross  but there were no takers as the ball flashed across goal. The second half was a tighter affair with few clear chances at either end. Illies started well and when a Liam Doherty cross found Liam Doherty at the back post he could only head straight at Mullarkey. On 74minutes Paul Doherty found space inside the Glengad area but fired across goal  and wide. Glengad responded and sealed the points when after a home defender lost possession inside his own area the ball spun up and Terence Doherty with a spectacular volley to the roof of the net for a brilliant finish.

Greencastle FC 1

Buncrana  Hearts 0

Greencastle started well and on 3 minutes a Nigel McMonagle cross found the inrushing Shea Mclaughlin but his point blank range effort was brilliantly tipped onto the post by Rory Kelly. Minutes later Mclaughlins corner found Conor Gillen on the edge of the area and his goal bound effort was hacked clear by Caoimhin Doherty. Buncrana replied with Aaron McDaid  breaking clear of the home defence but failing to hit the target while the same player then had an effort sail over the bar. Play swung from end to end at this stage and after a mazy James Henry run took him into the area Kelly advanced smartly to smother. Buncrana hit back and from a Calvin  Gallagher corner Liam McCarron fired  just over. Greencastle ended the half strongly  with McMonagles shot and Jamie McCormicks free both well saved by Kelly. On the stroke of half time Kelly punched clear a cross but the ball fell to McMonagle whose looping header bounced onto the crossbar and over. The home side started the second period well with Kyle Harkin firing over from distance before  Gillen had an effort well saved by Kelly. Buncrana responded well with McDaid advancing into the area only to be denied by a DJ Canavan tackle and then Jerry Gill making ground on the left before unleashing an effort which Jason McCallion saved well. Play swung ot the other end and McCormick fired over from a good position on the edge of the area. The deadlock was broken in the 78th minute when Harkin ‘s inswinging corner eluded all and flew into the top corner at the back post.  Buncrana tried desperately to get back into the game with dangerous crosses from Gallagher and Michael Doherty well dealt with by the Greencastle defence as they claimed a crucial three points in their bid for the league title.

Strand Hotel Division One

Gleneely Colts 1

Dunree United     2

Played in blustery conditions, Gleneely were first to show on 5 minutes when Christy McDaid shot wide from 15 yards. Five minutes later, the same player had a shot saved from a Christy Smith corner. Dunree created their first chance when Adam Barrett headed tamely at Oran Raymond from a  Conor Barrett cross. Midway through the half the Colts Corey O’Brien shot wide from the edge of the box when well placed. On the half hour  O’Brien was then unlucky to see his effort hit the post from 18 yards with Adam Harrington stranded. Against the run of play, Dunree took the lead on 32 minutes after Conor Barrett’s shot inside the box on the angle went through Oran Raymond and trickled over the line. The same player should have made it two nil when he was one on one with Oran Raymond but the young keeper saved well. Gleneely had a chance to equalize on the stroke of half time but Christy Smith blazed over from  six  yards. Dunree took a two nil lead on 50 minutes when a long ball out of defence found Gerry Farrell in a foot race with Oran Raymond and he got there to poke the ball home from 18 yards. Gleneely did pull one back on the hour mark after a goal mouth scramble resulted in Corey O’Brien blasting home from close range. On 75 minutes, a fine save from Oran Raymond from Conor Barrett and the resulting shot from Adam Barrett was blocked on the line by Kevin Doherty. On the stroke of fulltime  Gleneely could have snatched a point after  fine play from Christy McDaid in midfield, he drove forward to release Darragh O’ Connor on the right, but he shot over from the edge of the box. Gleneely pushed forward but Dunree held on for the  points.

Hannon Greene Insurances Fr O Gara Cup 

Aileach RES 2

Clonmany Res 3

In a slight cup upset Clonmany Res advanced to the quarter finals with a narrow three two win over  an Aileach Res side who defeated them  twice in the league and will rue some missed chances in tis clash. Clonmany had the first chance after Mark McLaughlin latched onto a long ball , rounded David McGeady before seeing his shot deflected onto the post by Damien Barr. Aileach responded with Gareth McElroy sending Stephen Doherty clear but he stumbled as he shot and could only shoot straight at Kieran Friel. Clonmnay then took the lead moments  later after a quick throw released Pearse McCarron on the left and his low cross found the marauding right back Brian Doherty to slot home. But the home side hit back and levelled matters on 40 minutes when McElroy s superb through ball released Anthony Doherty and the experienced frontman rounded Friel to score. Aileach were on top at this stage and  Paddy Curran fired straight at Friel before Denver Kelly fired wide after good approach play from Stephen and Anthony Doherty. There was a cagey start to the second half  with little goal mouth action until Clonmany went ahead on the hour mark after Brian Doherty capitalized on defensive hesitancy to slot home after a Marty Doherty free kick.  But again Aileach came roaring back and levelled on 71 minutes when a Cathal McElhinney lonr range effort fell kindly for Stephen Doherty to sidefoot home from fifteen yards. Aileach had the momentum at this stage but failed to press home their advantage. Then a defensive error saw the ball fall to Mark Mclaughlin who finished superbly from sixteen yards across McGeady to the bottom corner. The home side threw caution to the wind in the closing stages but the closest they came to an equaliser was in a goalmouth scramble the ball fell to  Darren Bradley who failed to connect properly and the experienced  visitors saw the game out to advance.

Glengad Res 3

Moville Res 0

Glengad started well and took the lead on 3 minutes through a fine   Matthew Mooney  strike from the edge of the area. Mooney again found space on the edge of the area but dragged his shot wide in the  10th  minute. Moville had a great chance  after this  when Danny Murphy struck the post when through against Patrick McLaughlin in Glengad goal. After a bright opening to the game, chances for both teams were hard to find for the rest of the half. Glengad started the second half strongly and Ryan McLaughlin had a shot saved by Moville goalkeeper John Harkin in the 48th minute. Mooney again threatened for Glengad when he saw his shot tipped onto the crossbar by the Moville goalkeeper. Glengad creatd another good chance when Nathan McConalogue fired wide when well placed on the 80th minute. Glengad extended their lead  just after this when Paul McGonagle found the top corner from all of thirty yards to give the keeper no chance. Glengad completed the scoring with  their third goal when Mooney again found the net after Harkin had initially saved Ryan McLaughlins effort to advance to the next round and another home tie against Clonmany Res.

Sea Rovers 1

Culdaff FC 4

Playing with the wind in the first half Culdaff got a dream start when they opened the scoring in the first minute when  Keith Norris won possession and  fed Jack Mc Laughlin  who fired a powerful low effort from inside the area to the bottom corner. Rovers responded with Daniel Gallagher finding Andrew Gallagher but his effort just went past the post. Culdaff doubled their lead after Eugene McLaughlin retrieved a corner kick on the left and crossed for Bryan McCandless to poke the ball home from close range.  Before the break the Rovers defence failed to clear and Jack McLaughlin pounced to drill home his second of the game put Culdaff three goals to the good. The first chance of the second half fell to the home side when from a Culdaff corner a lomg clearance found Conor Mcgeoghaghan who released Andrew Gallagher whose initial effort was saved by Martin Mclaughlin but Gallagher followed up to slot home the rebound.  But the visitors restored their three goal advantage midway through the half when  Ben Curley  released McCandless to race clear round the keeper Ben Collins  and slot home his second of the game. Rovers tried hard but the visitors defence held firm to advance to a home quarter final against Rasheney FC.

Rasheney FC 3

Dunree Res 0

A crossfield wind made it difficult for both teams but the home side started the better.  On ten minutes a superb cross from Declan McLaughlin just eluded the inrushing Charlie Doherty. Midway through the half they went close again after a long  range free from keeper Damien Friel went narrowly wide. Dunree responded  on 33 minutes after a Ryan Toland free kick caused havoc in the Rasheney penalty area before they scrambled it clear. Rasheney did take the lead three minutes before the interval when a John McLaughlin long ball fell into the path of Cormac Dillon whose low cross from the left was swept home by Declan McLaughlin from close range. Rasheney started the second half well and Charlie Doherty fired a tame effort straight at keeper Philip Doherty before a Declan McLaughlin cross somehow eluded two inrushing players. Dunree responded on 68 minutes after Callum Booth intercepted a loose pass and  raced into the area before seeing penalty claims waved away and in the aftermath Boot was redcarded after an altercation. Five minutes later an attempted clearance by the visitors defence crashed into the path of Dillon who made no mistake to drill past Doherty. Charlie Doherty then had a shot saved before the home side sealed the tie when David McLaughlin pounced on a poor clearance to dire low to the far corner from fifteen yards.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two 

Buncrana Res 5

Carn Res 1

The visitors started this game well and took a deserved lead in the 10th minute after Kyran Cantwell rounded Eoin O Doherty and slotted home. They had another great chance when Cantwell rounded three defenders and squared to Diver whose low effort was well turned around the post by O’Doherty. The home side settled and equalised midway through the half after a superb Eoin McNamee crossfield ball found Stephen McHugh to hammer home from ten yards.  Five minutes later the home side took the lead after a brilliant solo run  from  Jack Soal ended with a sublime finish. Mchugh made it three one before the interval when he converted a penalty after Liam Jordan had been upended inside the area. The home side dominated after the break and McHugh, Soal and McNamee were  all denied by good saves from Daniel McDaid in the Carn goal. They increased their lead on 77 minutes after a Jordan corner eluded all and nestled in the net before the same player completed the scoring when  he ran onto an excellent through ball from Soal to finish well and make the final score five one.


Illies Res 1

Carrowmena FC 0

Illies threw the title race wide open when they inflicted a consecutive league defeat on Carrowmena  with a last minute winner at Stranaclea Road. In  a scoreless  opening half the visitors with the aid of the wind went close twice with good efforts from Adam Harkin and Ciaran Bonner both well saved by Graham Doherty in the home goal. Illies  replied before the break when a Ronan Hegarty snapshot just went past Michael Noones right hand post. Illies were on top for most of the second half and saw successive corners cleared off the line both well delivered by Gavin Doherty. Firstly a David Doherty header was cleared and then when another corner fell to Shane Devlin he turned and saw his close range effort also cleared off the line. Carrowmnea responded and had a good ten minute spell. On 67 minutes Puaric Gillen found space to unleash a low drive from the edge of the area but it crashed off the post. Then in the 76th minute  Michael Henry broke clear of the home defence but fired wide with only Doherty to beat. With the game looking destined to be scoreless the home side struck on 90 minutes after Alan Fletcher released Marty Coyle on the left and his low cross was sidefooted past Noone from twelve yards by substitute Joe McLaughlin to clinch a crucial three points.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two    B   

Clonmany Youth 1

Aileach Youths 1

An entertaining opening half in this encounter in difficult windy conditions. Aileach opened the scoring in the 9th minute when Ciaran Bradley collected a poor clearance and unleashed a superb twenty five yards effort low into the bottom corner past Killian McCarron. But the home side levelled five minutes later when a  brilliant solo run from Shane McCaul  took him past four defenders into the area before he fired low past Dylan Clarke from twelve yards. Clonmany then spurned a great chance after Aaron Porter was upeneded in the area but saw his spot kick brilliantly saved low to his  right by Clarke. Aileach replied and after Benny Hegarty pulled the ball back into the path of Bradley he fired over when well placed before McCarron punched an inswinging Daibhidh Grant corner clear  from beneath his own crossbar. Clonmany hit back with a poor touch from McCaul allowing Clarke to smother at his feet and then  Aaron Harkin squared to Dylan McEleney  who curled a ten yard effort just outside the top left hand corner. Aileach had the final effort of the half  but Bradley dragged his effort wide from the edge of the area. The game detiorated in the second half but on 53 minutes Aaron Harkin released Porter but Clarke smothered well.  On 66 minutes Porter broke clear to the edge of the area but Clarke advanced well to force him wide and Shay Cuffe cleared the danger. Johnathan McDaid was narrowly off target with a good effort before the home sides best chance came on 84 minutes. Harkin s ball in from the left found substitute Gerard McDaid who failed to connect from point blank range when he looked certain to score. Aileach  had a few opportunities on the break but the Clonmany defence held firm.

Rasheney  RES 3

Culdaff Res 0

 This game was switched to Caratra Park  and  while Culdaff began with the aid of the wind it was Rasheney who had the first chance when Conor O’Neill sent Mark Diver clear in a one on one  situation but he fired wide in the 19th minute. Culdaff responded  on 34 minutes when Mac McLaughlin skipped past a  couple of defenders and unleashed a twenty yards effort which flew inches past the post. Culdaff started the second half well on top and after Patrick McLaughin released Rhys McDaid  but with the keeper to beat he dragged his effort across goal and wide. Substitute Niall McLaughlin then fired over the bar before McDaid saw another effort skim the crossbar. The home side paid  the price for these missed chances when Rasheney took the lead on 68 minutes after a  Ryan Doherty free from the left deflected off a defender past Dermot Callaghan. Ten minutes later Eoin McLaughlin dispossessed a defender and rifled a shot to the bottom corner from the edge of the area to make it two nil. Then  substitute Jake O Donnell saw a goalbound effort well saved by Callaghan. Rasheney sealed their win late on when they added a third goal after McLaughlins through ball found Brendan Grant who blasted past Callaghan from twelve yards.