Match Reports Sunday 12th November

FAI Junior Cup  

Greencastle FC            7

Lifford Celtic                 1

The home side took an early lead in the 5th minute  when Matthew Henry played a superb pass into the slipstream of Christy hegarty who executed a superb chip over the advancing Dylan Early.

Midway through the half Jamie McCormick skipped past a defender before unleashed a stunning effort from sixteen yards to the top corner.McCormick turned provider then when his pinpoint low cross was slotted home by Nigel McMonagle. Lifford rallied and got  goal back when James McNulty fired a brilliant twenty five yards free kick past Dylan Doherty.But Henry played a ball over the top for Hegarty who controlled with his chest before lobbing Early. After good build up play on the stroke of half time ended with Sean Doherty squaring for McCormick to blast to the roof of the net to leave it five one. Hegarty completed his hat trick adding number six minutes after the restart after a long kick out by Doherty found Hegarty to head over the advancing Early to make it six.  It was all Greencastle  now and Hegarty then had a shot deflected wide before McCormick beat a few defenders and fired just wide. Matthew Henry then squared for substitute Joe Doherty whose effort was blocked while Henry fired just over the bar. Gerry Gill then had a twenty five yards effort well saved by Early. They made it seven on 77 minutes when  Henry fed Joe Doherty who unselfishy chipped across for Henry to head home.

Joe Doherty had a half volley tipped onto the bar by Early before Shaun Doherty fired wide and Gerry Gill’s long range effort clipped the bar. Greencastle now advance to the open draw for the second season running and will be hoping for a home draw.

Jackie Crossan Premier Division            

Clonmany Shamrocks           0      

Carn FC                                   0

There was a very tight opening half an hour to this game with few chances to either side. On 33 minutes Brandon Browne broke free on the right but from a tight angle his effort came off the bar and was cleared. Browne then intercepted a weak back pass  and poked the ball past the outrushing Patrick Harkin but with defenders retreating he pulled his effort wide. Clonmany replied and when Eoin McLaughlin fed Mark McLaughlin he turned well and fired just over from the edge of the area. On the stroke of half time McLaughlin then beat four defenders but fired straight at Kyle Dougal. The second half as a dour hard fought affair with Carn doing most of the pressing with Ryan Kelly causing huge problems on the right but they failed to create any clear chances. Then on 84 minutes Paddy Doherty broke into the Carn area and pulled the ball back for Mark McLaughlin but his effort crashed off the post. Carn had the final chance in the final minute when Gert Dzerins raced into the area but Harkin forced him wide and the chance was lost.

Illies Celtic                    2

QPS                               1

The point started well and on 11 minutes Stephen McKendry was unlucky when his effort from the edge of the area crashed off the bar. Illies replied and midway through the half Adrian Donaghey Doherty burst through the visitors defence but was denied by David Bell in the point goal. Before the break Illies went close  again when after  a quick corner Kevin McGonagle had a great effort tipped over the bar. The point took the lead on the stroke of half time after McKendry fired a stunning free from the edge of the area  in off the underside of the bar past Johnathan Noone. But Illies equalised on 51 minutes when a Dominick Coyle corner found Ryan McElhinney who smashed through a crowd of players to the bottom corner. The home side then went close when a William McLaughlin effort was cleared off the line by Adam Harkin. Illies did take the lead on 76 minutes when a David Doherty cross was headed to the top corner by John Campbell. Campbell then raced clear into area and seemed to be fouled by Bell but despite Illies claims for  a penalty they fell on deaf ears.

Buncrana Hearts                   1

Culdaff FC                               2

Culdaff returned to the top of the table with this narrow victory over the Hearts at Castle Park.The hearts started well  with Kevin O’ Loughlin having a long range effort well saved by Darragh McLaughlin before O’Loughlin released Bart Wesoloski but his effort was again well saved.  Culdaff came into the game at this stage with Conor Keddy turning a defender before seeing his effort cleared by Stephen Grant. The hearts broke quickly and a long range Kieran McDaid effort was turned round the post by McLaughlin. Culdaff took the lead then when a great cross field by Dillon Ruddy picked out Keddy who crossed for Brendan McLaughlin  to fire superbly past Liam McGonigle. But the Hearts replied and Calvin Gallagher fired wide from the edge of the area before the home side suffered a blow when they lost Michael Coyle to  a serious foot injury. Hearts started the second half well and Wesoloski  spurned a great chance after 55 minutes.  With possession evenly balanced Culdaff made it two nil when McLaughlin  scored after McGonigle parried his initial effort. The home side pressed hard and reduced the deficit when Kieran McDaid fired home from twelve yards. They kept the pressure on and late on almost salvaged a draw when an Adam Callaghan header came off the crossbar.

Glengad United            1

Aileach FC                    1

After a quiet opening the home side took the lead on 15 minutes when Stephen Mclaughlin released Terence Doherty on the right and he crossed for Christopher McLaughlin to fire past Peter Devlin on the half hour from eight yards. Midway through the half a defensive error allowed Michael Byrne feed Mclaughlin but he fired just over from the edge of the area. Aileach had to wait until the 40th minute for their first chance when Ronan Coyle found Anthony Doherty who cut inside and fired over the bar from the edge of the area. Aileach started the second period the better  and on 55 minutes Gareth McGlynn sent Gavin Doherty clear but he scuffed his effort with only Michael McLaughlin to beat. Aileach were on top at this stage and when Darren McMonagle broke on the left his cross came off  a defender and grazed the crossbar. On 72 minutes McMonagle broke into the area and fired straight at Mclaughlin when he should have done better. Glengad replied when Byrne fed Doherty on the right and he cut in before unleashing a superb effort which crashed off the post. Aileach got the goal they deserved in the final minute after a McGlynn corner was bundled over the line by Cathal McElhinney to give them a deserved share of the spoils. Glengad had the final chance when Doherty fed Byrne on the edge of the area but his effort was easily dealt with by Devlin in the Aileach goal.

Strand Hotel Division One

Cockhill Youths            1

Dunree United             0

This was a competitive local derby with the first chance falling to the home side after Marty Doherty slipped the ball into the path of Jack McDaid but his effort was saved high to his left by Philip Doherty. An error in the home defence then allowed Tommy Doherty to unleash a thirty yards effort which crashed off the bar before William Doherty  had an effort well saved by Declan Caldwell. Cockhill’s Shay McLaughlin then burst down the left but there were no takers for his superb cross. Cockhill pressure told on 36 minutes after Michael Noone advanced from defence and played a one two with Keegan Hegarty before drilling a superb low effort across Doherty from the edge of the area. Good approach play from Jack McDaid then released Michael Doherty but he fired wide when he should have done better. Dunree began the second period well and when Philip McGuinness found Daniel McLaughlin his effort crashed off the bar. Cockhill then spurned a glorious chance when Daniel M Doherty burst into the area and with Doherty to beat he dragged his effort wide. Dunree then had strong claims for a penalty waved away after a defensive mix up . But Cockhill finished the game strong and Christopher Duffy had an effort held beneath the bar by Doherty before Daniel M Doherty fired over the bar from distance.

Aileach Res                  9

Clonmany  Res   0

A dominant Aileach side were much too strong for a very young Clonmany side in good conditions on Sunday morning. They took the lead on 14minutes when Jordan McGeady rounded  defender inside the area and finished well past Fergal Bradley.Stephen Doherty then converted from close range before Seamus O Donnell headed to the top corner after a corner to make it three nil. Clonmany rallied and Paul Devlin burst into the area but home keeper Ciaran Bradley smothered at his feet before the same player unleashed a powerful effort but Bradley produced a great save. Aileach made it four nil after Ruairi Bradley had an effort blocked but he fired the rebound home. On the stroke of half time Bradley set up Kieran McGrory who finished well to leave it five nil at the interval. A brilliant Conor Gallagher effort from thirty yards crashed in off the underside of the bar on the hour mark to make it six. Goals from Eamon Brown, McGrory and Neil McElhinney in the latter stages completed the scoring.

Sea  Rovers                  2      

Buncrana Res               2

After  quiet opening Rovers William Logan crossed for James McCloskey whose effort was well saved by Ryan O Sullivan. Buncrana John Timlin fired just over shortly after before a Timlin free kick on the edge of the area was well saved by Glen Watson. In a goalmouth scramble  Oisin O Flaherty poke home to give the visitors the lead. A Rovers corner by Damien Ward found Graham Morgan who headed high to the net from six yards to level the game on 37 minutes. The first chance of the second half fell to Rovers Ciaran Doherty whose effort was superbly saved by O’Sullivan. On the hour Rovers took the lead in bizarre fashion when a Watson kick out bounced over O’Sullivan and into the net. Buncrana replied and O’Flaherty headed the ball down for Stephen McHugh to drill home from ten yards on 77 minutes. Rovers had a late chance when Morgan unleashed an effort which O’Sullivan saved well.

Gleneely  Colts             0

Moville Celtic               2

Gleneely started this game well and Nathan McLaughlin scuffed an effort wide when well placed before Billy McCann had an effort deflected over the bar.  Cory O Brien then broke through but blazed over the bar. Moville replied and after a Jack Keys free found Charlie Gill his effort was  well saved by Adrian Duffy. They took the lead on 18 minutes when Keys advanced along the left and squared for Conor  Doherty to slot home from close range. Gleneely responded well to this setback and Paul Gamble had an effort saved by Ryan Coye before Christy Smith fired just over the bar and McCann fired wide from the edge of the area. Before the break  Moville increased their lead when Gill released McDermott to lob the advancing Duffy. Moville had the better of the second period and McDermott fired wide before Conor Doherty was very unlucky with a thirty yards effort which crashed back off the post. Gleneely had the final chance but a John Doherty effort was tipped over by Coyle in the Moville goal.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two  

Carn Res                       3

Aileach Youth               2

Carn started well with Dylan Cooke firing over, Conor Doherty seeing a shot saved by Dylan Clarke and Conor Doherty crossed for Cooke who fired just wide. They took the lead on 33 minutes when Kevin McLaughlin fed Cade Cooke who went on a mazy run before firing a powerful shot to the top corner from sixteen yards. Aileach replied before  the break  with Stephen Davenport firing just over from fifteen  yards. Aileach got a great start to the second half and equalised on 48 minutes after Patrick Curran beat a defender and squared for Brendan Hegarty to fire to the roof of the net. But the home side regained the lead seven minutes later when Cade Cooke advanced from half way and fed Dion Diver who crossed form the left for Conor Doherty to drill low to the corner from ten yards. Aileach ‘sShane McMoangle then went close with a good effort before Carn replied with Dayton Cooke firing wide from ten yards. Carn increased their lead on 85 minutes after a Conor Doherty cross found Dayton Cooke who superbly headed to the top corner from ten yards. Pol McGrory fired into the side netting as Aileach threw men forward  before Michael Morrison converted after a scramble but it turned out to be a consolation.



Carrowmena FC           1

Redcastle Res               1

A long ball from Cathal Crumlish found Evan Craig and he drilled home from close range to give the visitors the lead on 6 minutes. Carrowmena replied and Ryan McDermott had a free well saved by Paul Doherty. At the other end a Gerard McLaughlin free sailed over before Crumlish fired over when well placed. Caroowmena responded and within a minute Darragh Kelly and James McDermott were both denied by Paul Doherty.  Good pressure from the home side with the wind saw a long kick out by Mark Doherty saw an attempted clearance spin into the net to level the game. Gerard Gill then fed Samuel Bredin but his effort was well saved. In the last minute Rory Hirrell fired a free kick over the bar.

Moville Res                  2

Rasheney Res              2

Conor Lafferty fired an early free kick just over the bar for the home side before the same player released Adam Harkin but his shot was well saved by Johnatan Toland. On 18 minutes Rasheney replied when Matthew Duffy well placed shot straight at Puaric Carey Doherty. Moville replied and Lafferty headed over Harkin’s cross from ten yards. At the other end Kevin Noone also fired over the bar from twenty five yards. Toland then produced a good save to deny PJ Barr and Ryan McColgan fired the rebound wide. Moville broke the deadlock on 40 minutes when Harkin played Lafferty through and he fired  low past Toland from inside the area. After the restart McColgan fired at Toland from a wide position. Rasheney had a good chance but David McLaughlin dragged his effort wide. Good build up play by the home side ended with Eoin Gillen failing to hit the target . A  defensive miskick by Doherty saw McLaughlin pounce on the loose ball but the home keeper redeemed himself when he saved well. Rasheney equalised on 66 minutes after a long ball saw McLaughlin race clear and finish well past Doherty. Moville upped the tempo with Lee McColgan firing wide from a tight angle while Carey Doherty kept his side in it with a superb save from Duffy. On 79 minutes after a good spell of play the home side retook the lead  when Jack Ferry burst into the area to drill low to the corner.  But Rasheney got back on terms when John McLaughlin fired a free kick to the top corner from the edge of the area. In the final minute a Ryan McColgan cross found Colin Doherty but Toland saved well.

Illies Res                       1

Cockhill Res                  3

Illies took the lead on 20 minutes when Pauric Mc Daid crossed for Seamus O’ Donnell to fire home from close range.Cockhill drew level on 30 minutes when a Ryan Duffy free was headed home by Martin Donaghey at the back post to leave the game level at the break. Cockhill took the lead on 55 minutes when a Alan Fletcher free found Adam Mc Laughlin who slotted low past Kevin Gallagher.They sealed the points on 65 minutes when Mc Laughlin raced clear to slot past Gallagher in the home net.

Glengad Res                 3

Culdaff Res                   2

Culdaff had a lot of early pressure and on 9 minutes Aiden Cunningham fired just wide after a good run. Minutes later the home side’s Paul McGonigle had an effort blocked on the line by Thomas O’Brien. Cunningham then released Jack O Brien but he flashed an effort just wide. Glengad’s Mark Smith then opened  the scoring  with a thirty yards effort to the roof of the net over Daniel Mullarkey. Culdaff equalised then when O Brien broke on the left and crossed for Cunningham to slot home. Before the break a ball over the top saw Mullarkey slice his clearance and Brian Doherty picked his spot to finish well. McGonigle then found PJ McDaid  and while Mullarkey saved well the loose ball was fired home by Mark McKinney to make it three one at the break. On 55 minutes Cunningham fed O Brien and he fired low to the corner to reduce the deficit. A Matthew Mullarkey effort was well saved by Ronan Lafferty on 72 minutes. The final chance fell to the visitors but Liam Doherty fired just over.

Dunree Res                            1

Greencastle  Res                   4

The visitors took the lead on 10 minutes after Ronan Doherty raced onto a ball over the top to lift it past the advancing Roger McGilloway. On 34 minutes Eamon Fullerton fired wide when well placed for the home side. The home side were reduced to ten men on 48 minutes after Fullerton was red carded for a very harsh second yellow card. On 51 minutes Doherty again raced clear and finished well past McGilloway to double their lead. Dunree were further reduced to nine men when McGilloway was red carded for a foul on the edge of the area. Daniel Rowan then nipped in to slot low past Simon Tylor to make it three nil  before Rowan pounced in defensive hesitancy to fire past Taylor. Dunree got a consolation after TJ McKinley flicked the ball on for Patrick Toland to drill home from fifteen yards.