Match Reports Sunday 11th November

Gregory Kearney Cup 2nd Leg

SML                    2

Inishowen        2                 (Inishowen win 6.4 on agg)

Photo on right Donal Ferry SML presents the Gregory Kearney Cup to Mathew Byrne Inishowen Captain

Inishowen retained the Gregory Kearney cup after a two all draw played in the Brandywell Stadium last Tuesday night.

They started well and increased their lead in the third minute after Matthew Byrne burst forward on the left and unleashed a terrific effort which flew across the keeper and in off the far post. Inishowen really had chances to put the tie to bed with Terence Doherty firing wide when well placed before the same player burst clear but his attempted chip was easily gathered. Doherty then fed Darren McMonagle but his effort landed on top of the net before Doherty robbed a defender and advanced but fired into the side netting. The SML came well into the game after the half hour mark with Patrick Ward firing over the bar. They equalised then when Raymond Ross found space on the edge of the area to drill a superb low shot into the bottom left hand corner from twenty yards past Seamus Houghton. Ross then had an effort turned behind by Houghton before Darren McCreadie flashed an effort just wide. On the stroke of half time good work by Keelan Kerrigan saw his cross headed over by Ross. Inishowen started the second period well and an Aiden Mc Laughlin corner found Ryan Kelly who headed just  over bar before Conor Barrow also headed over. At the other end Houghton saved well  from Ward. Play swung to the other end and substitute Kevin O’ Loughlin fired  at keeper before a Mc Monagle cross lands on crossbar and is cleared.Barrow  then shoots wide before Doherty breaks clear side steps keeper but his shot from tight angle is blocked and cleared. A superb pass  from Paul Doherty found  Barrow  but his cross is flicked over by Doherty. The SML then stunned the visitors when against the run of play the unmarked Odhran Scarlet heads home from eight yards. The SML got on top and forced Inishowen back and Mickey Mc Creadie headed over. But Inishowen finished well and on the break Doherty fired wide before he made it two all on the night when he rounded the keeper and cut back to fire home with his left foot.

Below Inishowen Team in Brandywell

Sunday 11th November

FAI Junior Cup 

Lifford Celtic                       2

Greencastle  FC                 4

Greencastle advanced to the open draw stage of the FAI Junior cup with a deserved win in Lifford. They had the majority of possession in the first half but they did not create a huge amount of chances. They did open the scoring when Michael Barr unleashed a superb twenty yards effort which flew into the bottom corner. The home side  did not learn their lesson because on 36 minutes Barr again found space and repeated the trick with another fine effort from similar distance to make it two nil. Lifford replied before the break and Rob Lyndsey blazed over after the ball fell to him on the edge of the area. Greencastle increased their lead then on the hour after a superb run and cross by Stephen Grant found Christy Hegarty to score with a superb header. On 68 minutes they made it four nil when Shaun Doherty strode forward and unleashed a stunning thirty five yards effort to the top corner. The home side reduced the deficit on 74 minutes when Johnny Robb grabbed a consolation when he robbed a defender and slotted past Dylan Doherty. The same player then added a second when he broke through and chipped Doherty from the edge of the area.

Illies Celtic                          0

Glengad United                 3

Glengad started well and went close on 3 minutes after John G McLaughlin rose high to meet a corner and he was unlucky to see his effort crash off the bar. Glengad took the lead then on 17  minutes when Stephen McLaughlin fed a great through ball to Terence Doherty to slot low past Johnathan Noone from close range.  Illies replied and both Liam and Paddy Doherty fired over when well placed on both occasions. Glengad had two half chances then with Doherty and Conor Barrow both shooting at Noone but from tight angles. On the stroke of half time a Christy McLaughlin corner found John G McLaughlin and he converted at the back post to make it two nil. The second half was not as entertaining and Illies had the first chance on 59 minutes when Paddy Doherty fed Liam Grant but he shot straight at Daniel Mullarkey. Glengad broke on 77 minutes and sealed the tie when Patrick McDermott advanced on the right and crossed for Doherty to slot home. In the final minute Illies were denied a consolation after Grant’s effort beat Mullarkey but Seamus Doherty was on hand to clear off the line.

Jackie Crossan Premier Division    

Carn FC                                         1

Clonmany Shamrocks                  0

This was a crucial game for both clubs and  the home side began the better with Christopher Diver and Cade Cooke failing to hit the target with efforts from inside the area. On 16 minutes Diver then fed Brandon Browne who in turn squared the ball to Dermot Doherty but his powerful effort grazed the outside of the post. Clonmany responded and  both Jason Doherty and Niall McLaughlin went close with good efforts. On 38 minutes Jake Harkin saw an effort deflect off a defender to Jason Doherty  but his shot was well saved by Donal Doherty in the home goal. Minutes before the break the home side had a chance after Diver broke on the right and slipped the ball inside to Dermot Doherty but Patrick Harkin in the Clonmany goal turned the ball around the post. Carn got a dream start to the second period when in the opening minute they broke the deadlock. The home side got a dream start to the second half when in the opening minute Diver ghosted past two defenders before squaring for Cade Cooke to slot into the empty net from fifteen yards. On 57 minuts the visitors Paddy Doherty found Niall McLaughlin inside the area and his effort produced a superb save from Doherty. Play swung to the other end  and Browne unleashed a twenty yards effort which went narrowly wide. Clonmany almost snatched an equaliser on 76 minutes after Jake Harkin found substitute Jason Devlin and his effort  was again brilliantly saved by Doherty. Carn finished the game strongly and substitute Tiernan Coyne fired a late effort wide before in the last minute Cade Cooke saw an effort well parried by Harkin.

Buncrana Hearts               6

Redcastle United              0

Buncrana got off to a dream start after three minutes when Kieran McDaid gave them the lead when he was picked out by a superb Stephen McHugh pass and he finished neatly past Michael McCole. On 18 minutes Peter Gallagher delivered a brilliant crossfield pass for Michael Coyle to control and drill a low shot across McCole to the bottom corner. The hearts were rampant at this stage and the same players combined for a third goal when Coyle headed home  a Gallagher cross at the back post. Before the break they made it four nil when McDaid nutmegged a defender and advanced to finish neatly.

Buncrana increased their lead after the restart when McDaid (Pictured Right) completed his hat trick  when he despatched a fine twenty five yards free kick to the top corner.

Redcastle were then dealt a blow when Cathal Faulkner had to retire with a knee injury. But the hearts kept pouring forward and  were awarded a penalty when McHugh was upended.But while Kevin O’Loughlin’s spot kick was saved by McCole the rebound fell to O’Loughlin and he made it six nil. The home side saw the game out and for the visitors McCole in goal and Darragh McConway performed admirably.

Culdaff FC                            1

Aileach FC                            1

Played in perfect conditions on Saturday night Culdaff will be much the happier of the two  with a share of the points. The visitors for their part will feel that they spurned two or three clear chances to win the game including a penalty. After a lively opening the home side went closest on 15 minutes after a Conor Farren twenty yards strike crashed back off the crossbar with David McGeady beaten. This spurred Aileach into action and a Darren McMonagle cross was superbly gathered by Darragh McLaughlin before McMonagle broke on the right and his powerful effort was again saved by McLaughlin.The visitors broke the deadlock on 39 minutes after Shaun Mullan pounced on a poor defensive clearance to drill low to the corner from fifteen yards. On the stroke of half time McLaughlin made a fine one handed save to turn Mullan’s good header around his left hand post. Great work by Aiden Cunningham took him along the end line on 50minutes but McGeady gathered his driven cross. Aileach then spurned two clear chances to increase their lead . Firstly McMonagle burst onto a superb keith McColgan diagonal ball and bore down on goal but McLaughlin read it superbly to save low to his left. On 65 minutes Killian O’Rourke sent McMonagle clear on the right but he was badly off target from the right hand side of the area. Culdaff rallied and great pressure outside the visitors penalty area by Conor Farren saw him win possession and feed Bryan McCandless and he controlled before firing low into the bottom corner from sixteen yards. Aileach  then spurned their best opportunity when the home side were somewhat harshly penalized for handball. But Mullan’s spot kick rebounded off the right hand post and when McMonagle retrieved the ball his superb cross was volleyed over from point blank range by Caoimhin McFeely. Neither side threatened in the final ten minutes and the home side will be delighted with a point.





Strand Hotel First Division

QPS                                    1

Moville Celtic                     1

This top of the table clash saw both teams have to settle for a share of the spoils in the end. QPS had the first chance when Fionnbhar Harley went close with a good effort from distance. Moville replied on 19 minutes with Michael McNaught seeing his effort well saved by Aiden Lynch in the home goal. The deadlock was broken on 25 minutes and it was the visitors who struck. Ryan McColgan advanced on the right and crossed for McNaught to sidefoot home from close range. The home side got back on terms on the stroke of half time after good work by Shaun Downey saw him find John McCloskey and he fired past Ryan Coyle. Things were much tighter in the second half with Harley  seeing a long range effort clear the crossbar. The point almost got a late winner but McCloskeys effort from fifteen yards crashed back off the base of the post. In an very entertaining game both sides had to be content with a point in the end.

Dunree United                   3

Glengad Res                       0

The home side recorded their second win of the season to move off the bottom of the table.They started well with Philip McGuinness bringing a good save from Michael McLaughlin in the visitors goal. They broke the deadlock on 13 minutes after a quick Barry Nixon free released Darryl Moran and he fired first time past McLaughlin. The home side increased their lead on 35 minutes when Caolan McBride squared the ball to Thomas Mulhern who in turn fed Liam Baldrick and he fired to the top corner from twenty yards. Glengad tried to hit back before the break  when PJ McDaid cut in  and fired a twenty yards effort narrowly wide. Dunree increased their advantage eight minutes into the second half when McGuinness’s cross from the left was headed home by Matthew Doherty at the back post. Glengad tried to rally and Cathal Doherty saw an effort saved by Sean Parker. In the closing stages the home side’s Moran had an effort which clipped the post before McGuinness beat a defender but was denied by McLaughlin.

Rasheney FC                       3

Gleneely Colts                   2

​​​​​In a quiet first half both teams had several chances with both keepers making good saves. Damien Friel should’ve scored in the 43rd minutes but somehow from point blank range he blazed the ball high over the bar. With a minute left in the first half a great save by Ben Miller from Eoin McLaughlin kept the game scoreless at half time. The second half had just started when Gleneely scored after a free kick by John Joe Doherty was met at back post by Billy McCann who headed into top corner. Rasheney upped their game and young keeper  Ben Miller in the Gleneely goal saved well when  he tipped a Darren Coyle header over the bar, a 25 yard drive from Sweeney round then post and continued to defy the home side with a string of excellent saves.But in the  65th  minute Rasheneny equalised when a long ball sent Charlie Doherty  through but Miller sprinted 30 yards to boot the ball out for a throw in.Quick thinking by  Eoin Sweeney who  took a quick throw in to Declan McLaughlin who with his back to goal inside the centre circle hooked the ball into the net. Just a few minutes  the home side took the lead after a great save by Friel from a Keelan Hegarty drive saw Friel launch a long ball to Charlie Doherty who unleashed an unstoppable drive from 25 yards past Miller. Rasheney increased their lead on 73 minutes when an effort  from Declan McLaughlin which Miller tipped away for corner and from the corner Ryan McLaughlin crossed for Peter Doherty to head home. Gleneely rallied and on 80 minutes Kevin Doherty tested Friel with a long range effort and  minutes later they reduced the deficit after a corner found Billy McCann  who rose to head into the top corner again.Gleneely continued to press but the home side held on to take full points.

Aileach Res                         0

Cockhill Youth                    0

In a very even game there were very few chances with midfields on top, Aileach had the first chance of note when Paddy Curran raced through but the Cockhill keeper race out and cleared. Jack Mc Daid then went close for Cockhill shooting wide before at the other end Ciaran mc Grory turned and shot just over the crossbar. Cockhill’s  Adam mc Carron then shot just wide from distance. The second half was much the same with few chances  with the best efforts for Cockhill coming from Darragh Mc Dermott and Mc Daid while  Curran and Dara Grant had chances for the home side  but failed to convert and the game ended scoreless.

Sea Rovers                          1

Buncrana Res                     2

Buncrana had the first  effort on goal  when a Dale Kerr effort was well saved by Ben Collins. At the other end the visitors defence dealt very well with a wicked Damien Ward free kick. Buncrana replied and when Kerr fed Harry Forshaw he fired straight at Collins. Rovers upped the tempo and Keelan Doherty had a free well saved by Paul McDaid before they took the lead on the half hour when Doherty’s corner was headed home by Evan McLaughlin.Rovers Gary Doherty then had a crisp volley brilliantly saved by McDaid low to his left before having claims for a penalty waved aside. On the stroke of half time a William Logan free found Damien Harkin who fired inches wide. Buncrana came back into the game after the break and James Quigley fired over from the edge of the area before Kerr’s free kick was gathered by Collins. Rovers then went close on 70 minutes when McDaid turned Evan McLaughlin’s effort round the post and from the corner GaryDoherty’s header crashed off the bar. The game turned on its head in a frantic two minute spell. On 75 minutes Buncrana equalised after James Adair fed Eoin McNamee and he fired past Collins from a tight angle.  The Kyle Bradley’s cross cum shot deceived Collins and landed in the net. Rovers tried to recover and pressed towards the end but the visitors defence stood firm.

Division Two               

Moville Res             2

QPS Res                    4

The visitors dominated the first half in good bright conditions and took the lead on 14minutes after Caolan McColgan was upended in the area allowing Jack McConalogue to drill the ball low to the left corner past Maurice McGeady. McLaughlin then had an effort well saved before the Point increased their lead after Joe Johnstone outpaced the home defence to slot low past McGeady. They went close again when McLaughlin was denied  by McGeady and saw his follow up cleared off the line by James Gillen. But when the home defence failed to clear a corner the ball broke on the edge of the area to  Caolan Harkin  and he fired a superb effort to the bottom corner. QPS had the first chance of the second half also when a Paul Grant free was well saved by McGeady. Moville rallied and got a goal back on the hour after Graeme Doherty fired a penalty past David Bell after Pearse Doherty had been fouled in the area. Moville then reduced the deficit further after a corner fell to PJ Barr on the edge of the area and he hammered a superb low shot inside the right had post. With the home side pushing hard to salvage a point they were caught out on 87 minutes when Grant slipped the ball through for McLaughlin to advance and slide the ball under McGeady and seal the points.

Clonmany Res                    1

Dunree Res                         0

The home side dominated the first half in terms of possession but really failed to create many clear chances.Midway through the half David McGonigle advanced on the left and pulled the ball back to Nathan MC Kinney on the edge of the area but his effort flew just past the angle of the post and bar.  Thomas Comiskey then rounded a defender but dragged his effort just past the far post. Clonmany forced a couple of corners in quick succession before the break but the Dunree defence stood firm  with Ryan Fitzpatrick and Conal McGrory in good form. On 56 minutes a McKinney corner found Philip Devlin whose glancing header was blocked. Dessie Doherty then fed McKinney on the left but his effort was tipped over by Fitzpatrick. Pressure counted on 75 minutes after McKinney was upended in the area and Dessie Doherty sent the keeper the wrong way. Paul Devlin then burst through the defence and laid off to Conor Doherty but his shot was well turned over the bar by Fitzpatrick.

Aileach Youths                   3

Carrowmena FC                 2

Aileach edged past Carrowmena in beautiful conditions at Lakeside.  Both teams started slowly with few chances at either end.  Carrowmena took the lead on 25 minutes when Sean McGrenaghan’s cross from the left was headed powerfully home by Brian Houghton.  Five minutes later, Aileach drew level when a Darren Bradley corner was forced home by Neil McElhinney at the third attempt.  Aileach took the lead minutes later when Benny Hegarty controlled in the box and fired into the far corner past Mark Doherty in the Carrowmena goal.  Carrowmena pulled level five minutes before half time when a McGrenaghan cross was headed into the path of Gerard Gill who placed a fine shot into the top corner from the edge of the box.  On the hour Aileach came close to regaining the lead when Gavin Doherty broke into the box and fired across the keeper but his shot struck the base of the post. Five minutes later, Doherty wasn’t to be denied when he shot from twenty five  yards into the bottom corner.  Aileach came close on a number of occasions to put the game to bed with Liam Watsons header from six yards saved by Doherty and a late Stephen O’Donnell effort going just past the post.

Greencastle Res                3

Culdaff Res                          3

Culdaff had the first chance in the opening minute when Ben Curley broke on the left and cut  in but fired just over the bar. Greencastle then got on top for a spell with both Andrew Peoples and Shuan Cavanagh heading over from corners delivered by Joe Doherty. Peoples then had another headed from Jude Harkins free kick superbly saved by Puaric O’Donnell. Culdaff replied and Curley delivered a superb cross but there were no takers. The visitors opened the scoring on 18 minutes after Jack McLaughlin collected a log clearance and advanced on the right before cutting inside the edge of the area and firing a superb left footed effort to the top corner past Seamus Bovaird. Again the home side responded and Joe Doherty turned well but fired over before Adam harkin had an effort well saved by O’Donnell. Culdaff then increased their lead on 31 minutes when McLaughlin raced onto a ball over the top and finished well to the bottom corner. They went close again with a Martin Keddy free kick well saved by Bovaird. Greencastle then reduced the deficit minutes before the break when Doherty’s corner found Peoples who headed low to the corner through a crowd of players. McLaughlin had the first chance for the visitors after the break but fired narrowly wide. Greencaste uped the tempo and John McDermott broke clear but O’Donnell was equal to his effort before Jude Harkin  fired wide.Greencastle got back on terms before the hour mark when Doherty ‘s header from an Adam Harkin cross came off the bar for substitute Cathal McLaughlin to react first and slot home. Culdaff then responded well and Keddy  fired just over the bar before  the visitors regained the lead when an inswinging Damien Duffy corner came off a defender and into his own net. Greencastle struck to earn a point on 84 minutes after Cathal Mclaughlin charged down a clearance allowing Doherty to find Adam Harkin and he fired low to the corner from eight yards.

Cockhill Res             1

Illies Res                  2

Reversed to the Illies  both teams started well and played some good football. However it was Illies who took the lead when some slack play at the back by Cockhill allowed Shane Devlin the ball in a dangerous position and his pass found an unmarked Ronan Hegarty just inside the box who calmly slotted past Declan Caldwell to give Illies the lead on the half hour mark. The second half started the same with both teams competing well however Illies capitalised on another mistake by Cockhill at the back and Liam O’Connor was quick to latch on to a poor back pass and finished well past Declan Caldwell to give Illies a two goal lead. Cockhill kept pushing and were eventually rewarded for their pressure when a Daibhidh Grant free kick found its way through the Illies wall and in to the bottom corner past of the net past Graham Doherty to make it two one with 10 minutes to go. Illies stood firm in the closing stages to keep Cockhill at bay and take all three points.