Match Reports Sunday 10th February

Knockalla Caravans Senior Cup 

Cockhill Celtic                    3

Buncrana Hearts               1

In an entertaining  local derby Cockhill had first effort when Laurence Toland headed wide from a good position before  Malachy Mc Dermott had an effort saved by Doherty in the Heart’s goal.

They continued to press and a Gerry Gill Free flashed wide before Gerard Mc Laughlin gave Cockhill the lead following good work from  Brendan Mc Laughlin minutes before the end of the first half.Buncrana had first chance in the second half when Darragh O’ Connor brought a fine save from Mc Carron in the Cockhill goal. Buncrana kept pressing and deserved their equaliser on 72 minutes with  Darragh O’ Connor slotting home from inside the area. But   Cockhill regained the lead on 81 minutes Lee Mc Colgan slotting home a penalty after Gerard Mc Laughlin was brought down in the box. Malachy Mc Dermott extended Cockhill’s lead on 84 minutes to seal the tie and advance to the next round.

FC Lighthouse (Monaghan )       1

Glengad United                             3

Played on Astro in Gortakeegan in Monaghan in wind conditions Glengad dominated play and took the lead on  20 minutes  when Terance Doherty scored a brilliant goal from edge of area placing the ball in top corner out of reach of keeper Antanas Bertasihs. Terence could have doubled the lead on the half hour after a good cross on right from James Mc Kinney but headed wide when well placed. Glengad got a second after a FC Lighthouse corner saw keeper Daniel Mullarkey’s  quick ball send Connor Barrow clear on right and his pull back saw Christy Mc Laughlin score from the edge of the area. Glengad were awarded a penalty on the stroke of half time but Antanas Bertasihs got down well to his right to put James McKinney’s effort  out for  a corner. Glengad passed up a few chance to add a third in  the second half .The home side  were then awarded a penalty on 70 minutes but  Daniel Mullarkey saved David Adamczyk spot kick low to his left. Adam Byrne got the third following good play between Cathal Mc Daid and Terance Doherty allowing  Byrne to score from close range. FC were awarded another penalty in stoppage time with  David Adamczyk putting it down the middle but it was merely a consolation.

Jackie Crossan Premier Division  

Culdaff FC                            3

Redcastle United              1

This was a crucial win for the home side on Saturday night in Caratra Park as it lifts them out of the bottom two and gives them a chance of avoiding the play off. They started well and on 12 minutes Jack O’Brien released Aiden Cunningham but Michael McCole saved with his outstretched leg. Four minutes later they took the lead after a Darren Mullarkey corner was headed home by Paul McLaughlin. But the visitors  hit back and equalised after home keeper Martin McLaughlin parried a cross and after a scramble the ball fell to Philip Margey and he rifled home from the edge of the area. The game became a dogged midfield battle until 42 minutes when Rory Hirrell broke through the home defence but McLaughlin advanced to block with his legs. On the stroke of half time Culdaff’s Aiden Cunningham unleashed a twenty yards effort which clipped off the top of the crossbar. Culdaff spurned a gilt edged chance at the start of the second half when Cunningham’s cross found Bryan McCandless but he blazed over from six yards. The home side regained the lead on 56 minutes when another corner from Mullarkey found Dermot Diver and his downward header nestled in the bottom corner. The home side kicked on and increased their lead on 70 minutes after Cunningham’s effort had been well parried by McCole the loose ball fell to McCandless who fired home. There was little goal mouth action in the remainder of the game  as Culdaff collected a crucial three points.

Illies Celtic              3         

Carn FC                     0

Illies are pushing hard for a top four finish in their best season for a number of years. Illies took the lead in the 20th  minute Gavin Doherty crossed for Aiden Donaghey Doherty to shoot low to net. Carn replied on the half hour when  Michael Mc Dermott had a dipping shot well saved by Jonathan Noone in the Illies goal before  Shane Doherty had an effort tipped over by Noone at full stretch. Illies added a second goal when Liam Doherty broke and found Domnick Coyle who pulled the ball back to Adam Duffy to finish with aplomb. Illies sealed the points on 80 minutes  when Duffy found Paul Doherty who squared for Liam Doherty to make the final score three nil.

Hannon Greene Insurances FR O Gara Cup

Preliminary Round

Greencastle Res                3

Carrowmena FC                 1

Greencastle Reserves eventually overcame a determined Carrowmena side at Chapel Lane with a late goal from Jude Harkin securing the home team’s passage to the next round of the Father O’Gara. There was little in the game for the first 15 minutes with Greencastle having the majority of the possession but not troubling Carrowmena with it. It took some individual brilliance from Daniel Rowan on the 20 minute mark to eventually break down a well organised defence, when he cut in from the right, beat three players and then curled a left footed shot into the far corner from 18 yards. Neither side created a significant chance for the next 20 minutes after this with Carrowmena content to drop off and let Greencastle have possession. On 40 minutes Greencastle almost made it two when a Kevin McLaughlin effort from distance crashed off the bar. However within seconds they were two  up after Brian Houten made a smart save from a Jude Harkin effort but Ronan Doherty followed up and slotted the rebound home. On 43 minutes Greencastle had a chance to add a third  when a penalty was awarded for a foul on McLaughlin but Rowan’s effort came off the bar. The home side started the second half, as per the first, with the majority of the possession but again without creating much with it. Houten did however make a smart save on 56 minutes, from a Rowan free kick. As the half wore on though Carrowmena came more into the game. They reduced the deficit on  75 minutes when a cross from the right by Bredin was chested home by Gerard Gill. They had a number of set plays after this and Mickey Doherty came close from one corner but, in general, Carey-Doherty in the Greencastle goal wasn’t troubled. Greencastle should have made the game safe on 87 minutes but substitute Cavanagh missed a free header from close range. Within 60 seconds remaining though Harkin did secure the win when he curled in Greencastle’s third from 20 yards, after being set up by his brother Adam.

Cockhill Youth              5

Rasheney Res               0

Cockhill Celltic Youth advanced to the first round proper of the Hannon Greene Insurances sponsored Fr. O’Gara Cup earlier this morning thanks to a comfortable 5-0 victory over Rasheney Reserves at a wet and miserable Maginn Park, Buncrana. Cockhill opened the scoring on only three minutes when Adam McLaughlin curled a delightful finish into the net from the byline past the helpless Declan Grant. The second was added on 10 minutes after Shay McLaughlin found space in the area but a great tackle by Joseph Holland denied the young forward and the loose ball fell to Darragh McDermott who prodded the ball home from four yards out. The Youths scored number three from the spot on 18 minutes when Mark McDaid was brought down in the area and Shaun Donaghey dispatched the ball past Grant sending the keeper the wrong way. Rasheny did have the home side under pressure on a few occasions with Brian Devlin & Tiernan McLaughlin causing the home side some concern and twice in the space of five minutes keeper Kyle Dougal had to be alert of his line to clear the danger. Cockhill added number four on 42 minutes when Adam McLaughlin added his second of the game when he shot past Grant from twenty yards in over the keepers head when he was given too much space. Cockhill emptied the bench in the second period and a tiring Rasheney side was left chasing for most of the second period. The goal off the game arrived for Cockhill on 65 minutes when great link play with David Laird and Mark McDaid on the right allowed Laird space to get his head up and find substitute Eoin Deery to side foot home past Grant from eight yards for a great team goal. Rasheney too there credit never gave up and worked their socks off until the final whistle.

Glengad Res                          2      

Culdaff Res                             1

In the 3rd minute Glengad’s  Cathal Doherty had a shot saved by Martin Mc Laughlin while on 5 minutes  Culdaff’s Jack Mc Laughlin found Ben Curley whose effort was well saved by Michael Mc Laughlin. Then Cathal Doherty and Patrick Mc Dermott combined to set up P.J. Mc Daid but his effort flashed wide.Culdaff responded and  Jack Mc Lauhjlin then had a shot tipped onto the crossbar by Mc Laughlin. At the other end  Mc Daid and Mc Gonagle combined with the latter’s shot saved by the legs of Mc Laughlin and when the rebound fell to Brian Doherty he blazed over the bar. Culdaff took the lead on 48 minutes when Ryan Greene set up Jack Mc Laughlin to fire to the top corner.But  the home side  drew level on 55minutes when Mc Daid and Mc Dermott combined to set up Cathal Doherty to slot low past Mc Laughlin. Ten minutes later the home side took the lead after  Mc Daid and Garry Kelly set up Mc Dermott to finih well and put  Glengad ahead. Culdaff pushed for the equaliser and had a late chance  but  Niall Mc Laughlin blazed over when well placed.

Gleneely Colts                   2

Clonmany Res                    3

Played in cold, wet conditions, Gleneely were first to show with Corey O’Brien twisting and turning on the edge of the box to shoot over in the fifth minute before  Keelan Hegarty then shot over from a free from 20 yards. Clonmany responded with a Mickey Devlin free that went narrowly wide. On 20mins, Paul Gambles shot from the edge of the area was saved by Liam McGonigle in the Clonmany goal  and the follow up from Kevin Doherty went wide. Gleneely took the lead just  before half time when Paul Gamble broke on the left, his shot from the edge was blocked by Liam McGonigle but the ball fell to Corey O Brien to slot into the empty net from ten yards. Clonmany were quickly out of the blocks at the start of the second half and were awarded a penalty, with Dessie Doherty scoring  despite home keeper Ben Miller getting a hand to it. Clonmany then went ahead  10 minutes later when Conor Doherty scored from close range after good build up play. On 85 minutes the visitors made it three one  when David McGonigle broke with Gleneely pushing up and slotted home from ten yards. Gleneely were then reduced to 10 men but pulled a goal back minutes  later when Corey O’ Brien was up ended in the box. Dylan McDaid scored the resulting penalty but Clonmany held out to advance to the next round.

Buncrana Res                     1

Moville Celtic                     5

Buncrana will look upon the first half with a great deal off disappointment, for though Moville dominated territorially and went into the break 2 – 0 up, it was Buncrana who should have taken the lead and even possibly have gone into the break on level terms. Movlle played with the strong breeze and created very few chances, the best being a Finn Mc Laughlin header which Hearts’ keeper Mc Daid saved. Then Hearts’ should really have taken the lead when midfielder James Quigley broke though the centre of the Moville defence and with only keeper Coyle to beat he shot wide. Moville’s Michael Mc Naught did put the ball in the net on thirty eight minutes only to be ruled offside. Two minutes later Quigley’s cross from left saw Coyle come Moville’s rescue, bravely saving at the feet off Neil Henderson. Then within two minutes Moville took a decisive lead, first Conor Lafferty opened the scoring in the forty first minute and then Michael Mc Naught adding a second from a long clearance out of defence when Hearts were fully committed to the search for an equaliser. Hearts started the second half brightly and with the help of the breeze started to ask more questions of the Moville defence, but they were always vulnerable to the counter attack and on sixty minutes Michael Mc Naught got his second and Moville’s third.  Two minutes later Steven O’ Sullivan seemed to have given Hearts a way back into the match when he beat Coyle from twenty yards. But Hearts’ could not build on this and four minutes later conceded a fourth when a speculative high ball into the box found an unmarked Nathan Harkin who gave Mc Daid no chance from close range. After this both sides seemed to be happy to see out the match which by this stage was being played in atrocious weather conditions. Harkin scored his second and Moville’s final goal of the match with virtually the last kick of the match and now progress into the next round of the Fr O’ Gara Cup where they will play Illies Celtic Res.

Rasheney FC                 1

Carn Res                        0

Played in cold and wet conditions throughout the home side made heavy work of overcoming the opposition who will feel that, with a bit of luck, they could have at least forced extra time. The first half was relatively quiet. Long range efforts from Tyler Mc Bride and two from John Grant – one of which flew over the angle – failed to test Jack Nelson in the away side’s goal. At the other end the nearest Carn came to scoring was when Conor Fagan fired in a shot from 22 yards but Roger Mc Gilloway made a comfortable save. With the half time whistle looming the home side should have scored. Kieran Friel sent Connor O’ Neill away along the left and his cross was not dealt with by Nelson who parried the ball to Grant who, in turn, sidestepped the keeper and drove wide of a gaping net from close in. Early in the second half the visitor’s James Monagle headed wide from a corner and the deadlock was finally broken on the hour mark when Conor Mc Daid broke clear of the Carn defence and bore down on goal. Nelson advanced to parry the ball but it fell back to Mc Daid who was able to round the keeper and fire home. Carn pushed hard for an equaliser and had several attempts on Mc Gilloway’s goal. Dayton Cooke had a long range shot just over, the same player then delivered a free into the goal area where a home defender, under pressure, headed against his own crossbar and this was followed by Dylan Cooke driving another free just off target. In the closing stages Rasheney’s Charlie Doherty shot was held by Nelson and a Friel effort from right on the 18 yard line skimmed the crossbar. In the final minute the visitors failed to force extra time when Kyle Cooke’s close range effort was hacked off the line.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two A  

Redcastle Res                    2

Aileach Youths                   4

The home side started well and on 15 minutes were out of luck after  a Paul Doherty effort crashed off the bar. Aileach then took the lead minutes later when Matthew McDermott rose high to head home a corner. Redcastle replied and again were out of luck when Aiden Ferns well struck shot crashed off the bar. Aileach had a good spell then with Paul McGrory firing wide when well placed  before Paddy Curran spurned a similarily good chance. But Redcastle’s tale of woe continued before the break when keeper Ryan McCole punched a corner only to see it hit his own defender and into the net.  Aileach started the second half well and substitute Aaron Doherty and Curran both missed good chances before a Curran cross from the right found Brendan Hegarty to slot home for a three nil lead. Redcastle then mounted a fight back with Mark Doherty denied by a fine Ryan Fox save on 71 minutes. Four minutes later they got a goal back when Ronan Hoy’s cross from the right found Brendan Murphy to slot home at the back post. They then made it three two on 81 minutes with Hoy despatching a crisp low shot from the edge of the area into the bottom corner. With the home team pushing they got caught out late on and Aaron Doherty fired home a penalty to seal the points and keep their title challenge alive.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two B  

Dunree Res                   2

Cockhill Res                  3

Cockhill took the lead on the 2nd min when Patrick Mc Laughlin fired to the top corner from the edge of the area.Dunree’s Mickey Grant had a twenty yard effort saved by Decky Cadwell in the Cockhill net. On 50 minutes Danny Grant made it two nil when he fired a shot from twenty five yards past Fitzpatrick in the home net. Dunree reduced the deficit in the 70th  minute when Eamon Fullerton converted after good work by Mc Laughlin. The home side then  levelled on 80 minutes  when T.J. Mc Kinley lobbed Caldwell from twenty yards. But  the visitors secured the points  in the closing minutes when the unmarked Bernard Gubbins headed in a corner at the back post.