Match Reports Saturday 4th &Sunday 5th November

Oscar Traynor Inter League

Cavan Monaghan         2

Inishowen League       1

Played on the Cootehill   Astro pitch Inishowen have only themselves to blame as  they spurned quite a few chances and were then caught with a sucker punch in injury time.

On 6 minutes a Nigel McMonagle cross from the right found Brendan McLaughlin and from the tightest of angle he beat the keeper but the ball came off the base of the far post and was cleared. Kieran McDaid then flashed a free kick from the edge of the area narrowly wide. On 12minutes Inishowen took the lead when Terence Doherty laid the ball across to Dillon Ruddy who fired a sweetly hit twenty five yards effort to the top corner. Inishowen retreated after this and the home side had a chance when Amosi Asukulu headed over before a Darren Freeman effort from the edge of the area clipped the top of the bar on the way over. Inishowen responded and a Matthew Byrne cross found Terence Doherty who headed over at the near post before Matthew Henry fed Doherty on the edge of the area but he fired inches wide of the post. The home side then equalised on 35minutes when Asukulu’s superb cross from the left found John McDye and while Darragh McLaughlin blocked at his feet the ball fell kindly for McDye to poke home from close range. Inishowen finished the half strongly  and a brilliant burst inside from the right by McMonagle saw him release McDaid into the area but keeper Darren McQuaid advanced to smother at his feet. Then on the stroke of half time McMonagle got to the byeline and pulled the ball back to Doherty but he was dispossessed just as he was about to shoot. The home side had the first chance of the second period after Asukulu crossed for Mark Mulligan who fired straight at McLaughlin when well placed. Inishowen dominated the remainder of the game pouring forward with  McLaughlin feeding Henry inside the area but his low effort  was turned behind by McQuaid at full stretch. McLaughlin then broke on the right but his cross failed to find McMonagle. A brilliant run by Kieran McDaid took him past three men and when he pulled the ball back McLaughlin miskicked before seeing his follow up header saved. In a rare break forward Sean  Duffy headed narrowly wide from a corner for the home side. But Inishowen roared back and  a delightful cross from the left by Henry found McLaughlin who sidestepped  a defender and the keeper but saw his driven goalbound effort deflected onto the crossbar and over. Substitutes Seamus Doherty and Anthony Doherty combined then  for the latter to fire into the side netting before an Anthony Doherty cross from the right was just too high for Terence Doherty. Four minutes into injury time the home side broke on the right and substitute Caolan Reilly’s deflected effort was parried by McLaughlin but the ball fell to Duffy who fired home. Even at that Inishowen created a chance to force extra time when McLaughlin cut inside the area from the right but saw his effort strike a defender  and be cleared. A dissappoinit night overall for Inishowen and now they face a home and away play off against Donegal to decide who advances to the knock out stages.


Donegal Signs Shield Semi Finals    

Culdaff Res                   3

Carrowmena FC           3        ( won   4.2   on penalties )

Culdaff  staged an amazing recovery after they trailed by three goals to nil at the break to level things up but then fell short in the shootout. Culdaff had the first chance after a Jack O Brien cross caused all sorts of confusion before Michael Noone gathered on the line. On 20 minutes a defensive error in the home defence allowed Oran McDermott to drill low past Daniel Mullarkey from close range. Midway through the half McDermott doubled their lead with a stunning strike from outside the area. Following a corner before the interval they made it three nil after John Lynch’s header was well parried by Mullarkey but Samuel Bredin reacted well to slot home. Culdaff dominated the second period and O’Brien wet close with a good effort early on. They got a goal back on the hour mark  when after an Aiden Cunningham corner the ball fell to Martin Keddy who drilled home. Cunningham was then denied by a fine save from Noone . Culdaff reduced the deficit further when a Thomas O Brien free found Jack McLaughlin who headed home. On the stroke of full time O Brien found another substitute Niall Gordon whose driven cross was slotted home by Mclaughlin to force extra time. Despite dominating  extra time the  home side failed to breach the Carrowmena defence and in the shootout  Carrowmena emerged four two winners.


Glengad Res                 5

Cockhill Res                  1

Glengad dominated the opening period and had this game sealed at half time when they led by four goals to nil.They broke the deadlock on 5 minutes when Mark McKinney fed PJ McDaid who flicked the ball on for Gary Kelly to slot past Gary Robinson. Ten minutes later it became two after a superb McKinney run and cross found Kelly who calmly slotted home from twelve yards. On the half hour a Paul McGonigle corner found Christy McLaughlin who powerfully headed home. Cockhill tried to respond and Declan Kearney went close with a long range effort. But on the stroke of half time another McGonigle corner sailed all the way to the net. Glengad resumed on top after the interval and midway through the  half McKinney fired narrowly wide after a strong run. On 71 minutes they made it five nil when substitute Brian Doherty played a neat one two with Cathal Doherty before firing low to the corner. Cockhill got a consolation late in the game after a corner broke to Mark Gillespie inside the area and he fired to the roof of the net.

Strand Hotel Division One

Moville Celtic               2

Aileach Res                   2

Aileach started well with a Stephen Doherty low effort well saved Ryan Coyle low to his right. They took the lead on 6 minutes when Joe Johnstone squared for Doherty to tap home from close range.

Moville responded with a Conor Doherty effort just rising over the bar before both Tony Boyce and Michael McNaught were denied by last ditch tackles. On 16 minutes Conor Doherty fires over while at the other end Coyle easily gathered a Stephen Doherty effort. Aileach went close on 39 minutes after a Shaun Mc Hugh effort was superbly tipped over by Coyle. Another defensive error on 44minutes allowed Johnstone set up Doherty for his second of the game. Moville started the second period well and got a goal back when McNaught won possession and fed Kevin McDermott who fired high past David McGeady from sixteen yards. Then on 77 minutes McDermott fed Kyle Harkin who mis hit when well placed before Conor Doherty blasts over after being set up by a superb touch from McDermott. Charlie Gill sae a header from a corner cleared off the line by Conor Bradley on 80 minutes. The pressure told on 88 minutes when a Conor Doherty cross was parried by McGeady and cleared to Dermot Harkin who caught it sweetly on the half volley to drive home. Moville nearly snatched victory when McNaught broke into the area but McGeady advanced well to blocknn

Gleneely Colts              1

Rasheney FC                 3

The colts started this game well and took the lead on 10 minutes when a Nathan McLaughlin free was flicked on by Billy McCann for Joe McLaughlin to fire high past Damien Friel. Rasheney  replied with Charlie Doherty firing wide when well placed  before McLaughlin fired another free inches wide for the Colts. Rasheney equalised on 21 minutes when Anthony Doherty split the home defence for Brendan Doherty to race clear and drill low to the corner past Adrian Duffy.Rasheney got the upper hand at this stage with Matthew Duffy firing wide from a good position. They did take the lead before the break when a mazy run from half way by Declan McLaughlin took him into the area where he  drilled low past Duffy. Minutes into the second half they increased their lead when McLaughlin beat a defender and drove low past Duffy. The colts spurned a good chance when Cory O Brien broke clear but fired straight at Friel when in a good position. But Rasheney finished the stronger with Charlie Doherty firing just over from twenty yards before the same player had an even better chance when in a  one on one with Duffy but  the keeper stood firm.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two   

Greencastle Res          1

Redcastle Res              5

In the early exchanges both Paul McGowan and Emmet McConway were off target for the visitors while the home sides Jason McKinney had a free tipped over by Paul Doherty and Conor Gillen had an effort blocked. Redcastle took the lead on 7 minutes when Mark Dohwerty raced onto a long ball to drill low past Seamus Bovaird. Greencastle replied and both Sean Doherty and Conor Gillen had efforts saved before McKinney had an effort from distance crash off the post. Sean Downey then had another effort deflected behind before a Shay Davenport header was well saved by Bovaird. Redcastle then made it two nil  when Bovaird was dispossessed by Terry McColgan who set up Mark Doherty to slot home. The home side got a goal back inside the first minute of the second half when McKinney fed Doherty who cut inside and fired low and hard past Doherty. But Redcastle regained their two goal lead when Evan Craig broke clear on the left and advanced into the area before superbly chipping Bovaird. Greencastle then went close when substitute Daniel Rowan fired just over from twenty yards while Redcastle’s Shay Davenport and Greencastle’s Matthew Cavanagh both had  efforts tipped onto the bar at either end. Redcastle sealed the tie late on when Alan Clarke poked home after a scramble before Darren Harkin raced onto a ball over the top and slotted past Bovaird.

Carn Res                       1

Rasheney Res              2

Carn had the first chance after a Cade Cooke cross found Conor Doherty but he fired over the bar.Rasheney the took the lead in their first attack on 18 minutes  when their Conor Doherty fed Matthew Duffy and he fired low to the corner from ten yards.Carn replied with Michael McDermott firing just wide and Conor Doherty seeing an effort tipped over by Tiernan Devine. On 34 minutes Rasheney added a second when a Trevor Doherty cross was flicked past Dean Mason by Jack McLaughlin from close range. Before the break Rasheney’s Duffy fed Conor Doherty but he failed to hit the target when well placed. Carn got off to a dream start in the second period when on 51minutes a Tiernan Coyne cross saw a scramble develop in the area and Cade Cooke fired home. Midway through the half they spurned a great opportunity to get back on terms when a cade Cooke penalty was superbly parried by Devine low to his left. They also had the final chance to earn a point when McDermott found Cooke but he drilled low and just wide.

Aileach Youth              3

Dunree Res                  2

Aileach started brightly and had the first chance when a Dunree defender misjudged a long clearance giving Paddy Curran a half chance but his lob fell the wrong side of the post.  Aileach took the lead on 10 minutes when Dara Grant raced down the right wing and his inviting cross was deflected by the outstretched leg of a Dunree defender into his own goal.  Dunree were restricted to long range efforts with Neil Moran testing Ryan Fox in the home goal on a couple of occasions.  Aileach doubled their lead on the half hour when Dara Grant’s dangerous corner was punched to the edge of the

box by Roger McGilloway to the waiting Shane McMonagle who fired into the roof of the net.  Dunree halved the arrears on the stroke of half time whenthey broke down the right and Moran fed Eamon Fullerton on the edge of the box and he slotted past Fox.  Aileach started brightly again in the second half and Paddy Curran came close again when he raced clear of the Dunree defence but slipped his shot just past McGilloway’s left hand post. Aileach made it three moments later when Shane McMonagle delivered a great cross to the back post when Pól McGrory headed into the net from six

yards.  Aileach missed numerous chances to wrap up the game with

substitute, Jordan McGeady having a two shots saved on the line by

McGilloway.  A Stephen Davenport pass released Shane McMonagle on the left but his effort went outside the near post.  Dunree threw more and more bodies forward and got a consolation in added time when a Eamon Fullerton cross was fired into the net by Paddy Toland from six yards.