Match Reports Saturday 20th and Sunday 21st May


Saturday   21st   May

Ulster Senior Cup Final 

Cockhill  Celtic 2

Greencastle FC 1

Cockhill Celtic deservedly won the Ulster Senior Cup at a rain soaked Maginn Park on Saturday evening but Greencastle pushed them all the way and will be disappointed at the manner of the goals they conceded

. Cockhill had the  majority of possession but Greencastle had the first chance on 8 minutes after a Ciaran Diver burst through the middle saw the ball fall to Odhran Kennedy whose first time effort clipped the outside of Daniel Houghtons right hand post. Cockhill responded and Lee McColgan fired a thrity yards free just over before in a swift counter attack Luke Rudden fed Christy McLaughlin who cut in from the right but blazed over.Greencastle opened the scoring midway through the half after James Henry latched onto an under hit back pass wide on the left and lifted the ball over Houghtons despairing sliding tackle before squaring to Brennan Moore who showed great composure before slotting into the  bottom right hand corner from the edge of the area. Cockgill upped the tempo after this with Rudden beating the offside trap and rounding Conor Browne but the keeper recovered brilliantly to diver the ball behind for a corner. A Grabhan Friel dangerous cross was intercepted by Michael Barr then and from the corner Jason Breslins close range effort was beaten away by Browne . Greencastle  went close then at the other end after Henrys cross was met by an acrobatic effort from Kennedy but it drifted wide. On the stroke of half time Cockhill spurned a gilt edged chance after Corey McBride raced clear but Browne stood tall to block his effort on the edge of the area. Cockhill dominated the second half and Greencastle were forced deeper and deeper. Peter Doherty had an effort deflected over before Rudden almost intercepted a Browne clearance. Browne then saved at full stretch to turn Breslins header away and a minute later Lee McLaughlins cross found the unmarked Rudden whose header crashed off the  bar. Two goals in four minutes turned the game on its head then. Cockhill equalised in the 67th minute when a Christy McLaughlin well hit free kick was parried  by Browne but Lee McColgan reacted quickest  to slam the loose ball home from eight yards. Four minutes later an inswinging Christy McLaughlin corner  was headed home from close range by Friel to complete the comeback. Greencastle did rally in the final fifteen minutes and when the space opened up for DJ Canavan  he advanced and fired over from twenty five yards. In the final minute a short free to  Nathan Harkin saw him unleash a powerful drive that flew just past Houghtons left hand post. Cockhill saw out injury time to claim the cup after an entertaining clash.

Cockhill Celtic 

Man of the Match

For Greencastle Conor Browne in goals, Michael Barr, Brennan Moore  and especially James Henry all had very good games while for Cockhill Peter Doherty, James Bradley and Grabhan Friel were prominent. But Jason Breslin was superb for the winners making vital interceptions in defence and being a huge threat in the Greencastle area forcing Browne into a number of saves. 

Sunday   21st   May

Inish  Engineering  Division Two    A     11am

Carn Res 1

Rashenny    FC 0

Carne s clinched a league and cup double with this narrow hard fought win over a Rashenny side  who finished runners up but both gain promotion to the first division next season. A large crowd congregated in St Patrick’s Park where it was the home side who took a foothold of the game early on. Good play down the left wing from Carns Cormiac McLaughin found Dayton Cooke whose effort was well blocked by Shane Gordon. Most of the first half was a cagey affair after that with both sides battling well in midfield. Five minutes before half time Rashennys Tommy Doherty unleahsed a  twenty five  yard volley which  flew just over Daniel McDaids crossbar as the half ended scoreless. Carn started the second half strong and after 57 minutes Dayton Cooke chased down a back pass and won a penalty when the Rasheeny keeper caught him. Cooke stepped up himself and dispatched the penalty low into the centre of the net. Rashenny made changes to get back into the game. With more men forward the Carn defence had to organise themselves and stand strong against the pressure they were facing. A few long balls floated into the Carn defence were well dealt with. With Rasheeny flooding men forward, Carn caught them on the break. Kyran Cantwell ‘s pass across the box found Nathan McConologue but his goal bound shot was well saved by Gavin McLaughin in the Rasheeny net. In the final moments of the game Rasheeny were awarded a free kick on the half way line. The long ball into the Carn box was claimed well by Daniel McDaid to relieve all pressure and give Carn the win that crowned them Division 2A champions

Carn Reserves